TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-19-2013, 11:49 PM   #1
fastoy

Moving Content To TiVo

I'm interested in taking the decrypted DVDs that I have and using TiVo Desktop Plus / pyTivo / kmttg to either serve up to my Premier or to transfer to my Premier. This looks like a much easier model than swapping my TV's input back and forth to my DVD player.

My question is should I transcode the DVD mpegs and, if so, to what?

I know how to consolidate the VOB files. I have VideoReDo and Handbrake.
fastoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:24 AM   #2
csm10495
Badoop Badoop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastoy View Post
I'm interested in taking the decrypted DVDs that I have and using TiVo Desktop Plus / pyTivo / kmttg to either serve up to my Premier or to transfer to my Premier. This looks like a much easier model than swapping my TV's input back and forth to my DVD player.

My question is should I transcode the DVD mpegs and, if so, to what?

I would consider trying something like Streambaby: https://code.google.com/p/streambaby/
Though I don't know how it would work with VOB files. Streambaby is cool because it "streams" video from your computer to the TiVo. Basically its 'on demand'. It won't take up space on the TiVo.

Or maybe even easier, if both devices are connected via composite maybe something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Composite-Audi...e+video+switch
would make the process of switching from TiVo to DVD player easier.
Netflix 1 DVD At A Time - Unlimited Streaming
csm10495 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:28 AM   #3
fastoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by csm10495 View Post
I would consider trying something like Streambaby: https://code.google.com/p/streambaby/
Though I don't know how it would work with VOB files. Streambaby is cool because it "streams" video from your computer to the TiVo. Basically its 'on demand'. It won't take up space on the TiVo.

Or maybe even easier, if both devices are connected via composite maybe something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Composite-Audi...e+video+switch
would make the process of switching from TiVo to DVD player easier.
Thanks but my question is should I transcode the DVD mpegs and, if so, to what?
Old 01-20-2013, 12:37 AM   #4
csm10495
Badoop Badoop!

Quote:
Thanks but my question is should I transcode the DVD mpegs and, if so, to what?
I would try streambaby or PyTiVo with the DVD MPEGs, and if it doesn't work, I would transcode to .avi (or .MP4 if hard drive space is an issue)
Netflix 1 DVD At A Time - Unlimited Streaming
csm10495 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:47 AM   #5
fastoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by csm10495 View Post
I would try streambaby or PyTiVo with the DVD MPEGs, and if it doesn't work, I would transcode to .avi (or .MP4 if hard drive space is an issue)
Why wouldn't the mpegs work?

What parameters should I use for the MP4s (H.264)? I'm pretty much a novice at dreaming up these parameters myself but I've been using Handbrake's predefined outputs, e.g. iPhone, iPad, etc. Is there one of Handbrake's predefined outputs that is "good enough" for the TiVo?

It seems that transcoding to H.264 would certainly reduce the file size and while smaller is always better on hard drive space in this case reducing the network transfer load is probably the driving force, both in streaming and in transferring between TiVos.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:23 AM   #6
steve614
what ru lookin at?

DVD files are essentially Mpeg 2 files with a .vob file extention.
What file extention do your DVD rips have? If they are .mpg, then they will be compatible with the Tivo. No transcode necessary.

If they are .vob, then all you have to do is change the file extention from .vob to .mpg within Windows.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:01 AM   #7
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Here is what I do:

1. Use DVD Decrypter to rip the DVDs, in IFO mode, they would be a single .VOB file.
2. Use VideoReDo QuickStream Fix to fix any timestamp problems (Yes, there are some that had to be fixed.) Which would then be a QSFix'd .MPG file.

That's it. Its ready to be TiVo'd.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:39 AM   #8
fastoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Here is what I do:

1. Use DVD Decrypter to rip the DVDs, in IFO mode, they would be a single .VOB file.
2. Use VideoReDo QuickStream Fix to fix any timestamp problems (Yes, there are some that had to be fixed.) Which would then be a QSFix'd .MPG file.

That's it. Its ready to be TiVo'd.

In consideration of streaming bandwidth and disk storage, should I transcode the mpegs to MP4s (H.264)? What parameters should I use for the MP4s (H.264)?
Old 01-20-2013, 11:13 AM   #9
cherry ghost

Quote:

In consideration of streaming bandwidth and disk storage, should I transcode the mpegs to MP4s (H.264)? What parameters should I use for the MP4s (H.264)?
Try Normal or Apple TV2 with Handbrake
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:15 AM   #10
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Ultimately these are questions you will have to answer through experimentation. You will get opinions on file size reduction (via H.264 recoding) ranging from 30% to a factor of four. It depends on the particular properties of the video and on the quality standards of the viewer. Also, to get the ultimate tradeoff between compression and file size requires a lot more computation time (forced by H.264 options). Only you know the relative importance of file size. With a Premiere and a good local network, streaming bandwidth should not be an important factor.

I suggest you try the built-in H.264 encoding profiles in both VRD TVS4 and in HB. Then decide which to use (if any) and whether it's worth trying to finesse the encoding parameters. Once you have a single input file per video (i.e., have combined the .vob's), VAP (link in signature) can automate processing either with VRD or HB encoding, including an initial QSF. VAP can automatically create output filenames and folders based on metadata (e.g., movie name) also.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:16 AM   #11
fastoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
Try Normal or Apple TV2 with Handbrake
Finally. Thank you!

Obviously I struggled with framing the question. I appreciate the responses.