TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-19-2013, 06:12 PM   #1
lnd1313

3 month old XL4 goes dark

Yesterday my XL4 rebooted itself while I was watching a recorded show. Things were normal after that until a little less than 24 hours later when the recorded show I was watching went dark. I switched to live TV - also dark with a no signal message, other channels dark, other recorded shows dark.
What went wrong with my Tivo?
lnd1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:23 PM   #2
scole250

Accidentally hit the Input button on remote and on wrong input?
Old 01-20-2013, 07:40 AM   #3
scole250

Maybe the resolution changed to something your TV can't pickup.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:05 PM   #4
lnd1313

After not receiving any serious responses yesterday I tried connecting to different HDMI ports on my TV. That did not change anything. The reason I thought to try that is because over a month ago all programs and live TV would play in a stop and start stuttering way (do not know how else to describe) that made viewing next to unwatchable. I tested the connections and for whatever reason decided to switch HDMI ports which fixed that issue. After doing that did not fix this issue this time, I used the Tivo menu to restart the Tivo. Since then it has been working normally again. But my fear is that this odd behavior is a symptom of an internal problem. Does anybody know what could be causing these symptoms? Is my Tivo about to fail?
lnd1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:38 PM   #5
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Your warranty is up in 90 days....if that hasn't come and gone yet, contact TiVo.
Bierboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:59 PM   #6
scole250

With the additional info, I was going to offer another suggestion, but figure you'd think it wasn't a serious response. But I'd hate to see Tivo take a knock if they didn't deserve it. Have you tried a different HDMI cable?
Old 01-21-2013, 12:05 AM   #7
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Your signal is weak. Get it fixed.

This message brought to you by the non-serious yet completely relevant department.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:50 AM   #8
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnd1313 View Post
After not receiving any serious responses yesterday I tried connecting to different HDMI ports on my TV. That did not change anything. The reason I thought to try that is because over a month ago all programs and live TV would play in a stop and start stuttering way (do not know how else to describe) that made viewing next to unwatchable. I tested the connections and for whatever reason decided to switch HDMI ports which fixed that issue. After doing that did not fix this issue this time, I used the Tivo menu to restart the Tivo. Since then it has been working normally again. But my fear is that this odd behavior is a symptom of an internal problem. Does anybody know what could be causing these symptoms? Is my Tivo about to fail?
If you got a temporary fix by changing which input you use on the TV, try the TiVo connected to different TV, as the current one may be fixing to give trouble that's got nothing to do with the TiVo.

And try the TiVo's component and composite outs to see if the problem is strictly HDMI.

Did I mention that HDMI is the spawn of Satan?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote