TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-15-2013, 11:42 AM   #91
humm

This is really interesting to me too. I may well take advantage of this offer!
humm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:12 PM   #92
shwru980r

Quote:
Originally Posted by replaytv View Post
They wouldn't do it for me. I have a basement full of TiVos and they wouldn't do it even for the Toshibas and Pioneers that have 3 day lifetime. You would think they would like to get $99 from me rather than nothing, as I don't ever plan on paying $399 for lifetime for them or paying the monthly fee.

The way I understand it, if you have a TiVo that you threaten to cancel service, that is when they usually offer lifetime for $99. And also sometimes they will send you a email if you have one registered on your account without lifetime and you are paying a monthly fee.
Add a monthly subscription to one of the basement Tivos. On day 29, call Tivo and request the $99 upgrade and threaten to cancel if you don't get it.

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:49 PM   #93
SullyND
L:27-31

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwru980r View Post
Add a monthly subscription to one of the basement Tivos. On day 29, call Tivo and request the $99 upgrade and threaten to cancel if you don't get it.
Aren't all new month-month subscriptions (even used equipment) locked in to a year minimum of service?
SullyND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:59 PM   #94
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by SullyND View Post
Aren't all new month-month subscriptions (even used equipment) locked in to a year minimum of service?
Not exactly, they will let you pay what they consider full price for a new DVR, then you can go month to month without a commitment. The full price on the original Premiere was $299, which pretty much makes accepting the year commitment a must.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:09 PM   #95
shwru980r

I thought the S3 and below Tivos could be added month to month. Regardless, you can still cancel in the first 30 days.

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA

Last edited by shwru980r : 01-15-2013 at 02:53 PM.
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:03 PM   #96
tka

249 offer

Can somebody who got the lower priced upgrade offer ($249+$99) post a link (minus the serial number) so we can see if that will work for others who got the $549 offer? Or PM me please?
Thanks!
tka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:31 PM   #97
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by tka View Post
Can somebody who got the lower priced upgrade offer ($249+$99) post a link (minus the serial number) so we can see if that will work for others who got the $549 offer? Or PM me please?
Thanks!
I do not believe anyone has received an offer to purchase a Premiere 4 for $249, plus $99 for lifetime for the Premiere 4.

Someone said they had an offer to purchase a Premiere 4 for $249 and transfer their existing monthly plan to it and then buy lifetime for their Series 3 unit (that had the monthly plan) for another $99.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 01-16-2013, 02:47 PM   #98
cherry ghost

I got a Big Game Sale email today.
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:15 PM   #99
taylor0987

Does the code PLSR still work to get $299 lifetime for MSD? The reason I ask is because Best Buy has the Premiere 4 on sale for $200, and $200 + $299 is better than this deal...

Thanks
taylor0987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:46 AM   #100
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor0987 View Post
Does the code PLSR still work to get $299 lifetime for MSD? The reason I ask is because Best Buy has the Premiere 4 on sale for $200, and $200 + $299 is better than this deal...

Thanks
The normal price is now $499, the PLSR code may bring it down to $399 (the normal MSD price). The $299 price is gone for good, at least for now.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:09 AM   #101
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by tka View Post
Thanks!
http://info.tivo.com/PS!AVen5OtRzCMF...520011XXXXXXXX

I'm PM'ing you the last 8 digits to substitute for the X's so you can try it your self.

That deal would give me the S3's MSD monthly rate of $9.95 applied to the Premiere, with the option to get $99 Product Lifetime Service for the S3 HD.

If you decide to buy me the Premiere, please go for the $99 lifetime on my S3 HD as well.

And you can try plugging in other TSNs to the URL to see what they'll let you get away with, but only if you promise to come back here and give us details.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:11 AM   #102
antalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
I have a couple of lifetimed S1s, 3 lifetimed single tuner S2s, 2 MSD monthly sub S2 DTs, an MSD monthly sub S3 HD I added a little over a year ago, and zero S4s of any description.

They emailed me some version of the offer, good only on the S3 HD, $249 for the Premiere 4 and transfer the $9.95 per month sub to it, and I'd love to take them up on the $99 PLS for the S3 HD part of it, but I have no interest in an S4 that can't tune OTA and would bind me that much more to TWC.

Only if I had a guaranteed sale of the S4 to someone else for the same as I paid for it would this be attractive to me.

I think I'll call and waste their time asking if I could sell it and transfer the $9.95 per month rate to the new owner.
Here is some good news for you young man ! I thought I was getting an S3 wit 500 GB hdd. According to the sw info on the box it is S4 and does TUNE OTA. Maybe the S3 is the one with 360GB hdd. My offer was 300 for the refurb box and 99 for LTS.
So Mr unitron if you want a box with OTA capability this is it. .......and you'll be elegible for MSD. I didn't loose any of my other subs or LTS boxes. They don't transfer sub. Maybe they did it for you
Good Luck ! !

I jusst read the offer from obove. I stand corrected. I wonder who s dreaming up all these offers. You have to use the TSN they say is eligible for the offer. If you plug in another # it wot accept it. Call them up and see what deal you can make, but make sure you get an email confirming it. I think you can by another box for the same deal. I was asked if I wanted another one. The XL4 is strictly cable input w/cable card. If you don't have a cable sub you're SOL. lol

Last edited by antalo : 01-17-2013 at 01:22 AM.
antalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:22 AM   #103
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by antalo View Post
Here is some good news for you young man ! I thought I was getting an S3 wit 500 GB hdd. According to the sw info on the box it is S4 and does TUNE OTA. Maybe the S3 is the one with 360GB hdd. My offer was 300 for the refurb box and 99 for LTS.
So Mr unitron if you want a box with OTA capability this is it. .......and you'll be elegible for MSD. I didn't loose any of my other subs or LTS boxes. They don't transfer sub. Maybe they did it for you
Good Luck ! !
If I have misled you in some way into thinking that I had any interest in owning a Premiere of any description, I apologize, and I assure you that it was entirely unintentional.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:31 AM   #104
unitron

Quote:

I'm PM'ing you the last 8 digits to substitute for the X's so you can try it your self.

That deal would give me the S3's MSD monthly rate of $9.95 applied to the Premiere, with the option to get $99 Product Lifetime Service for the S3 HD.

If you decide to buy me the Premiere, please go for the $99 lifetime on my S3 HD as well.

And you can try plugging in other TSNs to the URL to see what they'll let you get away with, but only if you promise to come back here and give us details.
Replying to myself to say that I just tried the above link with the TSN from a currently unsubbed original S3 (TCD648250B), and it seems to have accepted it as well, but I'm not going to test it far enough to accidently wind up having bought a Premiere.

I wonder how one goes about transferring the current service plan of an S3 that currently has no service plan?

Perusing the fine print, I found this--

"TiVo reserves the right to substitute a different TiVo box and/or MoCA adapter of equal or greater value."

Also, it doesn't say you can't take the deal, get the $99 PLS on the S3, and then cancel the Premiere inside 30 days and owe anything except return shipping.

Let's try it with an S2 TSN and see what happens!

Old 01-17-2013, 05:50 AM   #105
socrplyr

One thing that I find interesting is that I used to get offers regularly (typically when I saw one here I would have one in my inbox), but I haven't for at least two years now. I don't even get ones about sales anymore. I have two Lifetimed TivoHDs active on the account. Is there somewhere that I might have set a preference not to get the offers?
socrplyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:58 AM   #106
rjp34652

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrplyr View Post
One thing that I find interesting is that I used to get offers regularly (typically when I saw one here I would have one in my inbox), but I haven't for at least two years now. I don't even get ones about sales anymore. I have two Lifetimed TivoHDs active on the account. Is there somewhere that I might have set a preference not to get the offers?
Question: If one buys a lifetime service and if the TIVO device fails, the service is instantly voided because it can't be transferred to another device.
That's hundreds of dollars down the drain!

If there is a major device upgrade similar to the one from type 3 to type 4, the lifetime service is likewise non-transferrable.

How does one buy a lifetime of service and have it last, say 10 years?
rjp34652 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:09 AM   #107
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjp34652 View Post
Question: If one buys a lifetime service and if the TIVO device fails, the service is instantly voided because it can't be transferred to another device.

If there is a major device upgrade similar to the one from type 3 to type 4, the lifetime service is likewise non-transferrable.

There really isn't any reason a DVR shouldn't last 10 years the 2 parts the fail the most (hard drives and power supplies) are easy enough to replace. The one thing I would do to extend a DVR's life is plug it into a good UPS (uninterrupted power supply).
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 01-17-2013, 10:18 AM   #108
atmuscarella

Quote:

Regarding the $$s, lifetime is a one time payment currently the only other option is to pay monthly. Anyone can do the math, lifetime ends up cheaper in less than 3 years. Plus units with lifetime service will have a much higher resale value if you decide to go the root at some point.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 01-18-2013, 06:52 AM   #109
socrplyr

Quote:

This seems like a troll response, because it had nothing to do with what I asked about. The others pointed out that it doesn't take long to recoup the cost of Lifetime. Remember there are warranties available. Also note that in the past (and I am pretty sure still currently) if your device failed within a certain amount of time (3 years I think), they would offer you to send you a referb box and "transfer" the Lifetime to it for a fee (I think it was $199). I don't have time to look up the policy. In recent years, I would say there seems to be very few posts of broken Tivos (in that situation), which is obviously good. Someone correct me if I am wrong (if they don't still offer that).
socrplyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:34 AM   #110
tka

Thank you, will try this with my own TSN ;-)

Quote:

tka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:00 PM   #111
hizhonor

Quote:

Tried it with my TSN and it appeared to be accepted. However, when I spoke with a rep they wouldn't honor the deal. Apparently this wasn't meant for anyone that already has lifetime on a box.

I have a Series 3 on lifetime, a series 2DT on the $6.95 plan and an unsubscribed Series 1. I would have gladly paid the price for the Premier (even offered to buy the XL4) and transered the lifetime so long as I could get the $99 Lifetime back on the 3.

Best they would offer is the $500 or so deal talked about earlier. At $350 I'd jump. At $525 not so much for me.

I'll just wait and see what happens.

Steve
hizhonor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:45 AM   #112
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by hizhonor View Post
Tried it with my TSN and it appeared to be accepted. However, when I spoke with a rep they wouldn't honor the deal. Apparently this wasn't meant for anyone that already has lifetime on a box.

I have a Series 3 on lifetime, a series 2DT on the $6.95 plan and an unsubscribed Series 1. I would have gladly paid the price for the Premier (even offered to buy the XL4) and transered the lifetime so long as I could get the $99 Lifetime back on the 3.

Best they would offer is the $500 or so deal talked about earlier. At $350 I'd jump. At $525 not so much for me.

Steve
They aren't going to let you transfer a lifetime sub to any model of S4.

But you could try plugging the S2 DT's TSN into that page and see how far you get transferring that $6.95 to the Premiere and getting $99 lifetime on it.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:44 AM   #113
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by hizhonor View Post

Steve
I think you have a much better chance of winning the lottery than TiVo selling you a new Premiere 4 with lifetime service for $350. If you really want a 4 tuner DVR the current deals are really pretty good.

The best price a new original 2 tuner Premiere with lifetime service got to was $450. Even when TiVo has tried to clear out refurb units the price with lifetime service has been more than $450.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 01-19-2013, 08:22 AM   #114
hizhonor

Quote:
They aren't going to let you transfer a lifetime sub to any model of S4.
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
I think you have a much better chance of winning the lottery than TiVo selling you a new Premiere 4 with lifetime service for $350.
Not complaining, just reporting my results, guys.

While I am interested the four tuner capabilities of the Premier 4, I am disapointed at the lack of an OTA tuner. This just further ties me to Charter and with their new pricing policies in place I'm not looking forward to my next price reset. I wouldn't buy a Premier just on the multi-tuner capability alone. Likewise, the other features of the newer software the Premier brings to the table, while nice, aren't must haves for me.

However, a significant discount on the hardware would entice me to move up to the new platform. A modest hardware discount and a deal on lifetime makes it a no brainer ----- again for my situation. YMMV.

In the meantime, my current setup will hopefully serve me well for the foreseeable future.

Steve
hizhonor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:44 AM   #115
dave_d

Here's a quick question of anybody that took them up on the $549 off. If you buy it do you get to keep the life time service on the old Tivo? (Since I don't see anything that says if that's the case or not.) I guess I can give them a call later.
dave_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:02 AM   #116
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
I think you have a much better chance of winning the lottery than TiVo selling you a new Premiere 4 with lifetime service for $350. If you really want a 4 tuner DVR the current deals are really pretty good.

The best price a new original 2 tuner Premiere with lifetime service got to was $450. Even when TiVo has tried to clear out refurb units the price with lifetime service has been more than $450.
A few months ago there was an offer to people with S2s with nothing newer on their accounts to get a 320GB original Premiere for $299 and lifetime for $99 with a G wireless adapter thrown in free.

Thread with link here.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=490689

Old 01-19-2013, 10:52 AM   #117
atmuscarella

Quote:
A few months ago there was an offer to people with S2s with nothing newer on their accounts to get a 320GB original Premiere for $299 and lifetime for $99 with a G wireless adapter thrown in free.

Thread with link here.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=490689
I had thought there was something about a $400 offer but couldn't verify it so I posted what I new for sure. That was a very good deal, very limited and on a discontinued model, but still very good. I think new TiVo HDs had gotten that low after the Premiere was released and the TiVo HD had been discontinued also. So at some point the Premiere 4 will be discontinued and will go lower.

But I still think the $550 was/is a good deal at this point. If/when a 6 tuner Series 5 gets released then everything changes.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 01-19-2013, 12:15 PM   #118
Davelnlr_

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_d View Post
Here's a quick question of anybody that took them up on the $549 off. If you buy it do you get to keep the life time service on the old Tivo? (Since I don't see anything that says if that's the case or not.) I guess I can give them a call later.
Yes. They quoted me $249 for the Tivo4, and $300 PLS on it ($549). The TivoHD is still mine and still shows PLS on it.
Davelnlr_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:35 PM   #119
HerronScott

Quote:

Our original S1 was in use for 7 1/2 years and the original $199 lifetime paid for itself in the first couple years. The only reason we stopped using it was to move to an S3 for HD since TiVo was allowing a transfer at that time for $199.

Those S3's (we had 2 S1's that we upgraded) are now 6 years old and since they are stilll doing what we need which is recording and playing HD content with some nice extra's like Netflix, Pandora and downloading/uploading content, I wouldn't be surprised it we actually hit 10 years with these and of course the lifetime transfer cost has long paid for itself (as would an outright purchase as well if we had done that).

At the moment, there aren't any new features in the Premier/S4 series that is incentive for me to upgrade so I'm pretty sure we'll skip it like we skipped the S2.

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:25 PM   #120
dave_d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davelnlr_ View Post
Yes. They quoted me $249 for the Tivo4, and $300 PLS on it ($549). The TivoHD is still mine and still shows PLS on it.
Thanks for the info. Well, I couldn't resist. I mean I know my HD currently does what I need it to do but the fact I can upgrade it to 2tb(my HD is 1tb) and it has 4 tuners and supports On-Demand was a little hard to resist. That and that I can give it to my bro
dave_d is offline   Reply With Quote