TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-12-2013, 06:26 PM   #1
btgg

Tivo Premiere & Comcast Cablecard Question

I have a Tivo Premiere and with a CableCard and it works great. I am getting ready to set my father up, but he wants to get the Comcast HD version which will have it's own Comcast tuner.

Two questions:

1) I can still use Tivo instead of the Comcast DVR (pretty certain that is a 'yes')
2) Do I need a CableCard for the Tivo for any reason (pretty certain that is a 'no')

Any input would be appreciated.
btgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:12 PM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Tivo Premiere with Cable card, will work the to receive HD channels.

So its Yes, to both your questions.

With Cable QAM, Tivo without the cable card cannot record because its unmapped, no program data.

Note on Cable's DVR: it possible the DVRs are passed on from customer to customer whenever they are changed or whatever. Some may have been abused so much that they will have to be replaced. There may also be recorded content set from the previous use. You cannot transfer content between computers/DVRs.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!

Last edited by ThAbtO : 01-12-2013 at 09:21 PM.
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:15 PM   #3
ramblinche81

What are you trying to do ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by btgg View Post
I have a Tivo Premiere and with a CableCard and it works great. I am getting ready to set my father up, but he wants to get the Comcast HD version which will have it's own Comcast tuner.

Two questions:

1) I can still use Tivo instead of the Comcast DVR (pretty certain that is a 'yes')
2) Do I need a CableCard for the Tivo for any reason (pretty certain that is a 'no')

Any input would be appreciated.
Sorry, it isn't clear what you are really trying to do...is your father's comcast DVR on a seperate TV, or are you and your dad going to have co DVR on a single TV ?

In order for your TiVo to connect and display channels from Comcast, it will need a cablecard.

Of course, you and your dad could have seperate DVR taking a comcast cable feed and sending seperate input to the same TV. TiVo still needs a CableCard.
ramblinche81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:09 AM   #4
btgg

To be clear.

My father will live in nearby so it is a different account altogether.

He will be getting a Comcast HD tuner so he can view HD content. He will not be getting the Comcast DVR so he will be using a Tivo Premiere.

If using Comcast HD Tuner and Tivo Premiere together, does he still need a CableCard?
Old 01-13-2013, 08:40 AM   #5
WhiskeyTango

B HD Tuner, do you mean a cable box? If so, you can't use a cable box with the Premiere. The Tivo and cable card take the place of the cable box.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:52 PM   #6
ramblinche81

Comcast vs TiVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by btgg View Post
To be clear.

My father will live in nearby so it is a different account altogether.

He will be getting a Comcast HD tuner so he can view HD content. He will not be getting the Comcast DVR so he will be using a Tivo Premiere.

If using Comcast HD Tuner and Tivo Premiere together, does he still need a CableCard?
No need for Comcast tuner box if TiVo in use with Cablecard. Other poster is correct, cable tuner cannot be used to feed TiVo.

Cablecard provides HD channel access.

What does Comcast charge for their DVR when HD package is selected ? At one time, it was less than $10..
ramblinche81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:34 PM   #7
btgg

Thanks for the help.

Comcast is up to $17.95 + tax per month rental with Comcast.