TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-12-2013, 11:41 AM   #1
dave_d

Does comcast/cable cards still require an installer?

So I'm very tempted by an offer from Tivo for a premier but I'd need to get a new cable card for it. I know when they brought down the cable cards for my TivoHD they required an installer to put them in my Tivo.(that was back in 07) Are they still requiring this or can you just go down to the local office and pick one up?
dave_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:53 AM   #2
porges

I did mine over the phone. I'm with Comcast in the Boston area, if that makes any difference.
porges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:57 AM   #3
sfpegasus

I just went down and picked one up. 5 minutes on the phone and I was good to go. SF Bay Area.
sfpegasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:42 PM   #4
lpwcomp

They have been required to allow self installs or cablecards since august 2011.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:58 PM   #5
ramblinche81

Comcast Cable Cards are Easy Now....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_d View Post
So I'm very tempted by an offer from Tivo for a premier but I'd need to get a new cable card for it. I know when they brought down the cable cards for my TivoHD they required an installer to put them in my Tivo.(that was back in 07) Are they still requiring this or can you just go down to the local office and pick one up?
Self install is easily done. Comcast now has a dedicated 1800 team (based in Philipines from what I can tell). I've installed two Premiere and one HD in last four months. All complete with no issues from their 1800 support side.

Just today, I moved my cable card over from a Premier box to a HD XL box with zero phone calls or support. Oddly, it was plug and play from one box to the other. Reading other threads, it isn't supposed to go like that so I make no promises. Maybe backward compatible but not for upgrades in hardware ?

Two issues I've read about ...local cable office is conveniently out of cards and don't know when more will arrive.......cards issued fail...it did take me three cards on one of my boxes to get it going. Luckily, my cable office was just ten minutes away.
ramblinche81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:56 PM   #6
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
By very explicit FCC regulations, no less. In short, they are required by federal law to do so.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:15 AM   #7
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Mine took five hours on the phone with support and eventually a tech visit. Ymmv.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:51 AM   #8
dave_d

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
That's good. My main issue is I didn't want to have to set up an appointment and take a day off work to have a technician do something I can do for myself. (I've been working in the tech field for decades, if I can't put in a card I should have been fired long ago )
dave_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:38 AM   #9
ggieseke

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/cablecard-know-your-rights
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:42 AM   #10
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinche81 View Post
Just today, I moved my cable card over from a Premier box to a HD XL box with zero phone calls or support. Oddly, it was plug and play from one box to the other. Reading other threads, it isn't supposed to go like that so I make no promises. Maybe backward compatible but not for upgrades in hardware?
On Comcast you can move cards, but usually none of the movie channels will work because they require pairing.

The Philippines-based card activation center has been very good, I've paired cards through them multiple times on Tivos and an HD Homerun Prime PC tuner.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:58 AM   #11
takeshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_d View Post
That's good. My main issue is I didn't want to have to set up an appointment and take a day off work to have a technician do something I can do for myself.
In my experience they very quickly suggest a truck roll if they can't get their end sorted out.
takeshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:18 PM   #12
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

And the sad part is that all the tech does is call the right person to get it fixed, usually. Big waste of time.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:16 PM   #13
billbillw

I installed 4 cards by myself. I did one box at a time over the course of a few weeks. Except for one bad card, it was pretty easy.
billbillw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:10 PM   #14
t1voproof

The hardest part was waiting in line at the Comcast office. The phone call to activate the card was relatively painless. They need about 3 numbers from the cablecard screen and was good to go.
t1voproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:42 PM   #15
Davelnlr_

Just moved my card from a TivoHD to a Tivo Premier 4, called the Phillipines activation center and got it switched over. All the channels came in. Tonight I noticed I wasnt getting Encore, so checked the screens, and the VAL:? showed up. Called them back, they deleted the cablecard, reentered it, and it popped right on. They have gotten much better in the past year. Last year was a nightmare, requiring two truck rolls.
Davelnlr_ is offline   Reply With Quote