TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-02-2012, 09:56 AM   #1
tvmaster2

green / gray screen Tivo HD hangup :(

all of a sudden, my Tivo HD can't get past the "starting up - welcome" screen. The next thing I see is a solid green/gray screen. Only one light is present on the front panel: the far left-hand light.
Network connection LED's are glowing on the back panel, and the hard drive is the stock unit - no upgrades have been done.
It's a "lifetime" box, that's about four-years old I imagine.
Since it's a lifetime box, it would be nice to save it. Any suggestions?
tvmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:06 AM   #2
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

I would start with running the manufacturer diagnostic software on the hard disk and looking for bulging capacitors on the power supply.
"You know, ground beef is a real winner nowadays" -- Faster Guy
sbourgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:20 AM   #3
tvmaster2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbourgeo View Post
I would start with running the manufacturer diagnostic software on the hard disk and looking for bulging capacitors on the power supply.
sorry, forgot to mention that this is a Cox Cable Card unit - don't know if that plays into things
Old 09-02-2012, 11:41 AM   #4
tvmaster2

there don't appear to be any burns on the board that I can see - it's the original WD drive (160) with a Aug 07 manufacture date.
The drive makes a couple of access clicks when power is applied, and stops responding when the 'Welcome" screen comes up. After that, gray screen
Old 09-03-2012, 03:51 PM   #5
tvmaster2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbourgeo View Post
I ran the WD diagnostic software, and the stock 160g drive failed both the short and long test (performed the test with the Windows desktop version of the software, as opposed to the dos boot cd version).
So I guess that's a bad thing?
Old 09-03-2012, 04:38 PM   #6
HerronScott

Sounds like the drive has failed. You'll want to pick up a replacement drive, get an appropriate image and restore it using WinMFS. Good opportunity to move up to a 1TB drive to get more space.

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:26 PM   #7
tvmaster2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerronScott View Post
Sounds like the drive has failed. You'll want to pick up a replacement drive, get an appropriate image and restore it using WinMFS. Good opportunity to move up to a 1TB drive to get more space.

Scott
I've used Instantcake in the past - so I guess that's still the way to go
Old 09-03-2012, 08:18 PM   #8
poppagene
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
I've used Instantcake in the past - so I guess that's still the way to go
It would be a waste of your money. If you can run instant cake, you shoulkd be capable of using winmfs or mfslive. Grab a backup image from http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...01#post8831301 and follow the instructions on drive upgrades from http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=370784
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:29 PM   #9
unitron

Quote:
all of a sudden, my Tivo HD can't get past the "starting up - welcome" screen. The next thing I see is a solid green/gray screen. Only one light is present on the front panel: the far left-hand light.
Network connection LED's are glowing on the back panel, and the hard drive is the stock unit - no upgrades have been done.
It's a "lifetime" box, that's about four-years old I imagine.
Since it's a lifetime box, it would be nice to save it. Any suggestions?
That screen usually means the motherboard and the hard drive aren't communicating with each other for whatever reason.

When you ran the tests on the drive, what, specifically, did it say was wrong? Did it offer to fix anything?

Do you have any spare hard drives lying around anywhere, or any that you could temporarily move stuff off of and use for a day or three?

And you do not have an external drive hooked up to that TiVo, correct?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:37 AM   #10
tvmaster2

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
That screen usually means the motherboard and the hard drive aren't communicating with each other for whatever reason.

When you ran the tests on the drive, what, specifically, did it say was wrong? Did it offer to fix anything?

Do you have any spare hard drives lying around anywhere, or any that you could temporarily move stuff off of and use for a day or three?

And you do not have an external drive hooked up to that TiVo, correct?
I ran a quick test and an extended test and they both failed. That's all the WD diagnostics software said: failed.
I have a few spares, and there's nothing on the dead drive that would be a horror if I lost.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:16 AM   #11
unitron

Quote:
I ran a quick test and an extended test and they both failed. That's all the WD diagnostics software said: failed.
I have a few spares, and there's nothing on the dead drive that would be a horror if I lost.
What size drives do you have availible for temporary duty?

Old 01-14-2013, 01:53 PM   #12
azchad

my tivo hd is doing the same thing but i ran hd test and it checked out okay, could it be my power supply? noticed 2 of the small capacitors have bulging tops.. HELP!
azchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:45 PM   #13
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by azchad View Post
my tivo hd is doing the same thing but i ran hd test and it checked out okay, could it be my power supply? noticed 2 of the small capacitors have bulging tops.. HELP!
That's most likely your problem...

How much money do you have?

Quick, easy, more expensive:

http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-power-supply.php

Or if you are familiar with a soldering iron, just replace the capacitors. Make sure that you match the specs and that they are low ESR.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:39 PM   #14
unitron

Quote:
If they're bulging, they've already gone bad and the power supply needs fixing before you can intelligently do any other troubleshooting (assuming any is necessary after fixing the power supply)

What part of the country are you in?

Do you have any experience with a soldering iron?

Old 01-19-2013, 08:46 PM   #15
azchad

I'm in az and yes I can solder. Now I just have to find the right caps. The smaller 1000uf 10v caps are bulging. Not sure which ones to get?
azchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:52 AM   #16
unitron

Quote:
I'm in az and yes I can solder. Now I just have to find the right caps. The smaller 1000uf 10v caps are bulging. Not sure which ones to get?
You need caps with the same uF rating.

You need caps with the same Voltage rating, but if unavailable, you can go to the next highest one, like say 16V instead of 10V, or if absolutely necessary 25V instead of 10V.

And they absolutely must be Low ESR and rated for 105 degrees (that's celsius/centigrade).

If there's a good repair shop nearby, they may have them in stock.

And if it's a good shop, they'll know what low ESR means and why they're necessary in a switching supply like the TiVo's.

You might even negotiate a good price for them to do the repair.

Otherwise, I think Amazon has somebody selling them, and you can order from Mouser or Digi-Key.

You should be able to get them for from $1 to $2 each.

Read through this thread real quick.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=473394