TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-12-2013, 04:36 PM   #1
slacker9876

Upgrade to TiVo Desktop Plus

So I have been trying to update the TiVo desktop software to TiVo Desktop Plus. I own a key for it that I bought for a series 3 device. This process is how it is supposed to be done.

The menu is not available on my computer:
3. Open the free version of TiVo Desktop software and select "Upgrade to
TiVo Desktop Plus" from the "Help" menu. Enter the License key provided on
the "Order confirmation" page and enjoy.

Does any one know the reg key for this? I could not find an ini file to add it too
slacker9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:02 PM   #2
HomeUser

If this the same PC you used with the S3 the key is for the PC and will be good for all the TiVo DVRs on the same account and household. Look at the title bar if it says "TiVo Desktop Plus" you are all set.

Quote:
I lost my Plus Key information.

If you purchased your TiVo Plus Key after 3/25/2010, you can easily retrieve it by logging into My Account and checking your Order History for your key information.

If you purchased your TiVo Plus Key prior to 3/25/2010, please call TiVo Customer Supportfor assistance retrieving your Plus license number.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:09 PM   #3
slacker9876

I may not have explained it well. I have my key

What I do not have is a menu in the TiVo Desktop Software to "apply" the key I have.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:33 PM   #4
HomeUser

Unless Plus s all-ready activated the "Upgrade to
TiVo Desktop Plus" option should be the forth item in the help drop down menu. If you are running XP start TiVo Desktop by right clicking on the icon and "Run as Administrator"
Old 01-13-2013, 01:32 AM   #5
slacker9876

Unfortunately the only items under the file menu are publish music, publish photos and exit. I know plus is not activated because I just built this Win7 PC a couple weeks ago on a clean SSD. I also know it is not already activated because you cannot even download the Plus software, it is only available by key activation.

I am running 2.8.3 which is the current version, so I guess TiVo just borked the compile or removed the feature without notice ... Like M$FT likes to do.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:14 AM   #6
ggieseke

2.8.3 works fine on Windows 7, and the option to enter your Plus key should be under both the File and Help menus. If it's not there, your installation got borked somehow.

Uninstall Desktop using the Remove All option. Download a fresh copy of the installer from TiVo. Right-click TiVoDesktop2.8.3.exe and choose Run as Administrator.

The actual registry key is HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\TiVo\Desktop, and the REG_SZ value in that key is named PlusUpgradeLicenseKey. You can enter the Plus key in the clear, then reboot.

P.S. Make sure that your antivirus or some other "protection" software isn't preventing a full install. It also adds 4 entries to the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ Run registry key and sets up 2 Windows services (Bonjour & TiVo Beacon).
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:24 PM   #7
slacker9876

Great info ggieseke! I dunno why I didn't think to look at HKCU, I only looked in HKLM.

Alas it is still not working and I completed the following troubleshooting steps:

Removed TiVo Deskop using Programs and Features
Got a 3rd fresh download of TiVoDesktop2.8.3
Disabled the Real Time Protection for Microsoft Security Essentials
Rebooted
Ran the TiVoDesktopCleaner
Rebooted
Ran Ccleaner and removed all registry and cache items
Rebooted
Installed the 3rd download of TiVoDesktop2.8.3 using "Run as administrator" even though I am an administrator and UAC is disabled.
Rebooted
Checked TiVo Desktop ... still no activate menu
regedit to add key to HKCU\Software\TiVo\Desktop\PlusUpgradeLicenseKey (used my key as the value)
Rebooted
Changed discovery to TiVo Beacon
Rebooted

Nope ...

So the software does not work. My key aside, there is still no activate menu and I have done everything and several steps beyond that to attempt to get the "Upgrade to
TiVo Desktop Plus" to appear in the file menu.

To illustrate that it is poorly coded to to the masses. If you go to TiVo's web portal today the software version available is 2.8.3, however, if you run troubleshooting under the Help menu it displays

General Information
TiVo Desktop 2.8.412.370 is installed for United States

2.8.4xxxxx is not 2.8.3

Also some background on me I am a 16 year Enterprise-IT veteran. I am an MCSE, MCITP, CCNP and F5 Networks Advanced-LTM certified engineer. I switched to Linux after Sasser/Blaster viruses in 2002 and went Mac in 2009. So I know how to use computers. There is nothing special about my 2 week old Windows 7 Ultimate installation. It is a stock load, SP1, all patches installed additions were only MSSE, iTunes and TiVo Desktop. Plus the customary Java, flash, Chrome, Acrobat Reader, notepad++, KeePass and Google Drive.

I appreciate the forums attempts at assistance, but only a TiVo programmer will be able to resolve this issue. This software does not work as described.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:43 PM   #8
slacker9876

I should add when running the javascript app under tivo cleaner for Plus activation status without my addition to HKCU, it fails. Here is the code that checks the status.

var oReg = new ActiveXObject( "WScript.Shell" );
var PlusKey = "NotUpgraded";
try
{
PlusKey = oReg.RegRead( "HKCU\\Software\\TiVo\\Desktop\\PlusUpgradeLicenseKey" );
}
catch(e)
{
}

if ("NotUpgraded" == PlusKey)
{
try
{
PlusKey = oReg.RegRead( "HKLM\\Software\\TiVo\\Desktop\\cryptkey" );
}
catch(e)
{
PlusKey = "NotUpgraded";
}
}

if ("NotUpgraded" != PlusKey)
{
WScript.StdOut.Write( "\nPlease write your Plus key down and keep it safely.\n" +
"Plus key: " + PlusKey + "\n\n");
}
Old 01-14-2013, 07:33 AM   #9
HerronScott

You might see if you can track down the installer for 2.8.2. I've got it running on my Windows 7 pc and I do see the "Upgrade to Tivo Desktop" option under the Help menu item (version is listed as 2.8.2 (412369) under about....)

There is also a Desktop Plus Upgrade option under the File menu.

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:17 AM   #10
ggieseke

I get the same internal file version number in Troubleshooting, but Help > About lists version 2.8.3 (412370).

HerronScott's suggestion is worth a try. All of the older installers are still on TiVo's site. Just change the version number in the URL to the one you want.

http://assets.tivo.com/assets/exe/ti...sktop2.8.2.exe

You've tried everything I can think of. I'm running 64-bit Windows 7 Pro instead of Ultimate, and I use MSSE. I have seen the activation dialog box pop up offscreen (especially in dual-screen setups), but the menu options have never disappeared.

Is there anything unique in your Windows installation? Specifically I'm wondering if your user directory is on a different path than C:\Users since you mentioned an SSD. The Desktop installer hates it when that happens. Are there any firmware updates available for the SSD? We had some Vertex drives at work that were extremely flaky.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:30 PM   #11
slacker9876

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
I get the same internal file version number in Troubleshooting, but Help > About lists version 2.8.3 (412370).

HerronScott's suggestion is worth a try. All of the older installers are still on TiVo's site. Just change the version number in the URL to the one you want.

http://assets.tivo.com/assets/exe/ti...sktop2.8.2.exe
2.8.2 installed without issue, prompted for my key and activated simple as pi. So of course I immediately went to upgrade, "The latest version of TiVo desktop is installed. There are no updates available at this time."

I think I know now why this box has half HD / half SD menus...someone just "forgot"

Much obliged on this assist guys! Now I can transfer my recordings and get this 2TB HDD installed so I may return to reckless TiVo recording. That part I can say is duplicated by no other device I've used.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:23 AM   #12
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker9876 View Post
So of course I immediately went to upgrade, "The latest version of TiVo desktop is installed. There are no updates available at this time."
That hasn't worked since 2.6 (the first version I installed).

Quote:
I think I know now why this box has half HD / half SD menus...someone just "forgot"
No one forgot, that's how TiVo operates (see above).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:29 AM   #13
ggieseke

Quote:
2.8.2 installed without issue, prompted for my key and activated simple as pi. So of course I immediately went to upgrade, "The latest version of TiVo desktop is installed. There are no updates available at this time."
The only difference between 2.8.2 and 2.8.3 is the addition of some limited support for the DirecTV THR-22. I wouldn't fret about it.

As steve614 noted, Help > Check for Updates has been broken for years.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:40 PM   #14
rlcarter

What's the payoff?

Good article, I'm evaluating whether or not to upgrade to the plus version and given the lack of support from Tivo I'm asking myself why I should fork over $15 for a Plus version when there no support after giving up my hard earned money.

Would Tivo keep my account active if I didn't have a valid credit card to bill, I don't think so, so why give them $15 for something that doesn't work and they clearly have no intentions of supporting. If you ask me, it just looks like another gemic to rip off a few bucks from some unsuspecting souls.
rlcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 05:57 AM   #15
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlcarter View Post
Good article, I'm evaluating whether or not to upgrade to the plus version and given the lack of support from Tivo I'm asking myself why I should fork over $15 for a Plus version when there no support after giving up my hard earned money.

Would Tivo keep my account active if I didn't have a valid credit card to bill, I don't think so, so why give them $15 for something that doesn't work and they clearly have no intentions of supporting. If you ask me, it just looks like another gemic to rip off a few bucks from some unsuspecting souls.
As I understand it, when Microsoft went from Windows 7 to Windows 8 it left out some codecs and stuff (so as not to have to pay any fees or royalties to the third party that actually created them), so TiVo can no longer count on Windows supplying these things, so there's no longer any assurance of the free version of Desktop working properly, so they went to offering the Plus version only, which itself supplies the things Windows no longer does, things TiVo has to pay the creators of which for, so they have to charge for Plus.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:20 PM   #16
advocate2

I am in the same boat. Simply put, there is no place to input the key I was sent.
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:24 PM   #17
ajwees41

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
As I understand it, when Microsoft went from Windows 7 to Windows 8 it left out some codecs and stuff (so as not to have to pay any fees or royalties to the third party that actually created them), so TiVo can no longer count on Windows supplying these things, so there's no longer any assurance of the free version of Desktop working properly, so they went to offering the Plus version only, which itself supplies the things Windows no longer does, things TiVo has to pay the creators of which for, so they have to charge for Plus.
I'm using the free version on windows 8 no issues
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:56 PM   #18
advocate2

So I tried 3.8.2, ran as administrator and had a very different install procedure. Asked for key. Now all is working.
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:25 PM   #19
mg01

Thumbs up Install 2.8.2 to see the 'upgrade' menu option

Thank you for the suggestion!

I am moving from Windows to Mac and set up a Windows 7 Professional 64-bit virtual machine on my MacBook Pro (late 2013) running OS X Mavericks and VMware Fusion 6. I installed TiVo Desktop 2.8.3 (412370) and also had the issue where there were no menu options to "Upgrade to TiVo Desktop Plus".

Based on this thread, I did a vanilla uninstall of TiVo Desktop 2.8.3 (no rebooting) and then downloaded and installed 2.8.2, and this time, during installation, I was prompted for my Media Access Key and then given the option to 'upgrade' and enter my TiVo Desktop Plus license key. And: It worked!

Thanks guys!
mg01 is offline   Reply With Quote