TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-12-2013, 10:46 AM   #1
yoyoma2

Mistakenly Ordered HBO Through TiVo - How

Today I checked my Comcast cable bill and there was a charge for HBO. I know I never ordered HBO and so I called to cancel. They told me it was done through the TiVo. They cancelled HBO but I still owe the prorated charge.

I have 2 young kids so it is possible they clicked something by mistake. Is it possible to order HBO without entering a password or something? Is there a way to disable HBO ordering completely? The Comcast guy mentioned that a movie have been ordered through the TiVo. Recently I ordered a movie via Amazon and had it sent to the TiVo for the first time. could that have triggered the Comcast order? I'm confused. Thanks.
yoyoma2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:50 AM   #2
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoma2 View Post
Today I checked my Comcast cable bill and there was a charge for HBO. I know I never ordered HBO and so I called to cancel. They told me it was done through the TiVo. They cancelled HBO but I still owe the prorated charge.

I have 2 young kids so it is possible they clicked something by mistake. Is it possible to order HBO without entering a password or something? Is there a way to disable HBO ordering completely? The Comcast guy mentioned that a movie have been ordered through the TiVo. Recently I ordered a movie via Amazon and had it sent to the TiVo for the first time. could that have triggered the Comcast order? I'm confused. Thanks.
Do as I do and set up a password to order anything, I don't have kids at home but my wife almost ordered something because it was not clear that we would have to pay, now you must enter a password, so you would know payment will be due, my wife has the password but grandkids do not.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:51 AM   #3
cherry ghost

Do you have onDemand through the TiVo in your area? That's the only way I think you'd be able to order a movie on your TiVo that shows up on your Comcast bill. Even then, it would be a single charge for a movie, not a subscription to HBO.
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:58 AM   #4
yoyoma2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
Do as I do and set up a password to order anything, I don't have kids at home but my wife almost ordered something because it was not clear that we would have to pay, now you must enter a password, so you would know payment will be due, my wife has the password but grandkids do not.
Where do I set the password, I went through all the settings but don't see a password option. I have parental controls turned on, but that only prompts once every 4 hours. I have a series 3. Thanks.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:00 AM   #5
Bighouse
200 Club Member

Ask your kids, they can probably find it! ;-)
Old 01-12-2013, 11:01 AM   #6
yoyoma2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
Do you have onDemand through the TiVo in your area? That's the only way I think you'd be able to order a movie on your TiVo that shows up on your Comcast bill. Even then, it would be a single charge for a movie, not a subscription to HBO.
Hmm, I have no idea about onDemand. The video on demand page shows amazon instant video, netflix, video podcasts and youtube only. This was a permanent monthly charge for HBO, not a one time movie order, at least according to my Comcast bill.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:02 AM   #7
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
Sometimes with OD Comcast will make some offer, HBO for the OP area could be one of those offers, this weekend I am getting Showtime OD free, this will give me a chance to see Homeland, but on Sunday I may get an offer to sign up for Showtime, we will see.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:03 AM   #8
yoyoma2

I will when they get up, but I can't understand why I can't find it myself. Or find a way to lock it down. This is frustrating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighouse View Post
Ask your kids, they can probably find it! ;-)

Old 01-12-2013, 06:11 PM   #9
yoyoma2

Update: I called TiVo billing support and they explained that it was done through Comcast directly, not the TiVo. So I called back Comcast and this time the guy refunded me the previous amount without a hassle. I asked how it was possible to order from TiVo and he said it wasn't through TiVo, that someone in the household needed to call in to make this change. I told him my 8 year old might have mistakenly clicked something in TiVo but I know for sure nobody called in because my kids wouldn't know how, and my wife doesn't watch tv.

They added a note that o make any changes to the Comcast account it will need to be through me going forward. I think this must become kind of scam someone figured out.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:06 PM   #10
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Yeah, I'm with TiVo on this one... I can't think of any way to order a new service through the TiVo interface. The connections between TiVo and Comcast simply aren't that close.

(Heck, I don't even think you can order a new channel through a real Comcast box. PPV? Sure, but not a new channel.)
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:05 PM   #11
matt@thehickmans
Hemo_jr

Impossible

There is no way you can order HBO through your TiVo. Comcast screwed up.

When I went dropped my Comcast DVR for a TiVo a few years back, they charged me for a bunch of Spanish language movies, which turned out to be from the next guy who got my Comcast DVR. Only took two years for Comcast to back the charges off my bill.
matt@thehickmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:31 AM   #12
yoyoma2

OK, so the first Comcast support guy I spoke to was an idiot for saying it was done via tivo, or a jerk for trying to pass a fast one by me. Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:07 AM   #13
alyssa

cable support guy being an idiot?!?!

not possible

For all your Comic-Con needs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
alyssa is offline   Reply With Quote