Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-08-2013, 06:25 PM   #211
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post

It doesn't sound like a bug to me unless it is happening when no one is watching a program in the folder. It seems like a good design decision to stop people from deleting a folder with contents you are currently watching.
The problem is that when you play an entire group and finish, it doesn't exit playing the last video in the group. It simply pauses at the end. As such if you watch all the programs in a group and then go to delete the group, the delete will get "stuck" (gray x over the group, but nothing happens). You have to go to live TV first and then you can delete the group.
morac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:51 PM   #212
leiff

This is the way I use my Tivo. Watching a folder of shows at once and then deleting. This extra step of having to go to live TV all the time is bugging me if someone would like to open a ticket.
leiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:54 PM   #213
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
The problem is that when you play an entire group and finish, it doesn't exit playing the last video in the group. It simply pauses at the end. As such if you watch all the programs in a group and then go to delete the group, the delete will get "stuck" (gray x over the group, but nothing happens). You have to go to live TV first and then you can delete the group.
gotcha. I never use watch all.

It sounded like he was trying to delete a group while a show was still playing from the group.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:55 PM   #214
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by leiff View Post
This is the way I use my Tivo. Watching a folder of shows at once and then deleting. This extra step of having to go to live TV all the time is bugging me if someone would like to open a ticket.
To open a ticket, you just need to call TiVo or file a support issue to TiVo through their website.

innocentfreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:00 PM   #215
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post

gotcha. I never use watch all.

It sounded like he was trying to delete a group while a show was still playing from the group.
Technically it is still playing. Groups not "ending" has been a bug (or design flaw) since the HDUI was introduced. Previously you could delete groups with shows playing so the group not ending wasn't a big deal. Now you can't.

The real fix would be for playing groups to behave the same way as playing single recordings, but there is no "Delete group" prompt at the end of a group, like there is with individual recordings, so it really needs to be redesigned.

Another pet peeve of mine is how going into the HD menus while playing a group, breaks group playback and causes it to revert to single recording playback mode.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:14 PM   #216
leiff

Quote:
Another pet peeve of mine is how going into the HD menus while playing a group, breaks group playback and causes it to revert to single recording playback mode.
Yep that bothers me too. I finally noticed you can look at the live tv guide and it wont effect this but as soon as you go to menu's, you loose your auto folder playback
Old 01-10-2013, 08:04 PM   #217
EntropyFox

I've experienced unusual behavior ever since the update and I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread (but it may be that I just don't know all the proper terms or acronyms)

It has to do with deleting shows. Let's say I want to go and clean up all the programs in the Suggestions folder. The folder may look like this:

> Show 1
Show 2
Show 3
Show 4

In the past if I wanted to do this I'd press the clear button and Show 1 would disappear and the cursor would then be pointing at Show 2. I'd hit the clear button again and Show 2 would disappear and the cursor would point to show 3, etc. However, over the past month or so if I delete Show 1, that gets deleted but at the same time the cursor jumps over to show 3

After Delete (Pre-Update):

> Show 2
Show 3
Show 4

After Delete (Post-Update):

Show 2
> Show 3
Show 4

It seems like a small thing but it makes for more keystrokes when deleting multiple programs. If I want to delete 5 programs in a row I used to be able to hit clear-clear-clear-clear-clear, but now have to hit clear-up-clear-up-clear-up-clear-up-clear

Anyone else experiencing this?
EntropyFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:26 AM   #218
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by EntropyFox View Post
I've experienced unusual behavior ever since the update and I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread (but it may be that I just don't know all the proper terms or acronyms)

It has to do with deleting shows. Let's say I want to go and clean up all the programs in the Suggestions folder. The folder may look like this:

> Show 1
Show 2
Show 3
Show 4

In the past if I wanted to do this I'd press the clear button and Show 1 would disappear and the cursor would then be pointing at Show 2. I'd hit the clear button again and Show 2 would disappear and the cursor would point to show 3, etc. However, over the past month or so if I delete Show 1, that gets deleted but at the same time the cursor jumps over to show 3

After Delete (Pre-Update):

> Show 2
Show 3
Show 4

After Delete (Post-Update):

Show 2
> Show 3
Show 4

It seems like a small thing but it makes for more keystrokes when deleting multiple programs. If I want to delete 5 programs in a row I used to be able to hit clear-clear-clear-clear-clear, but now have to hit clear-up-clear-up-clear-up-clear-up-clear

Anyone else experiencing this?
Have you tried deleting 4 or 5 at a time starting at the bottom instead of the top to see how it acts?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:48 PM   #219
Rodney
TiVo'd since 9/17/01

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea7kenp View Post
Thank you, David. TiVo probably doesn't think it's "discarding data" at all. In fact, it's the time shifting that's lost. In fact, thanks for giving me a way to describe this problem: "continuing the now-orphaned data stream until its end". I consider anything OTHER than that to be a Bug.

Thank you and best regards,

Ken Parker, Seattle, WA
I had this happen to me, and it is extremely frustrating. I should not have to hit record when I just want to watch what is in the buffer. Why they flush the buffer now when you have two recordings start makes no sense. Why did they change the behavior of the buffer?

I really hope this gets fixed, and soon.
3 TiVo Premieres expanded to 318 HD hours
1 Roamio Pro w/lifetime
Rodney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:59 AM   #220
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

*shrug* Or better yet, don't rely on live TV for anything you want to keep or watch later.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:41 AM   #221
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
*shrug* Or better yet, don't rely on live TV for anything you want to keep or watch later.
No it is a serious issue "bug"
Even if you record a program but are watching it in the buffer at the end of the program it dumps you to Live TV even when nothing else is recording. to finish you must go to My Shows and fast forward to where you left off. annoying.

And if you are trying to watching two recordings back to back, but in the buffer you can't, the buffer will not transition to the next show on the same tuner.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:03 AM   #222
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
Even if you record a program but are watching it in the buffer at the end of the program it dumps you to Live TV even when nothing else is recording. to finish you must go to My Shows and fast forward to where you left off. annoying...
I agree. This happened to me for the first time yesterday. I got my XL4 about a month ago. Very annoying...
Bierboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:27 PM   #223
EntropyFox

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Have you tried deleting 4 or 5 at a time starting at the bottom instead of the top to see how it acts?
I tried various spots but it doesn't seem to matter if I'm at the top or middle or near the bottom: if I delete a program it both scrolls the remaining programs up *and* moves the cursor down resulting in a leapfrog of a program.

I tried switching my XL4 from SD menus to HD and back again but it didn't change anything.

It's a minor annoyance and not a serious problem. Early on I deleted a few programs I intended on keeping but I was able to retrieve them and eventually got used to the new quirk.
EntropyFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:59 AM   #224
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Even if you record a program but are watching it in the buffer at the end of the program it dumps you to Live TV even when nothing else is recording. to finish you must go to My Shows and fast forward to where you left off. annoying.

And if you are trying to watching two recordings back to back, but in the buffer you can't, the buffer will not transition to the next show on the same tuner.
It's not a serious issue "bug" if you don't rely on the live buffer for anything important, either watching or recording. You can always watch the in-progress recording instead of the live buffer being recorded and have no issues. Use live TV for live TV and don't watch the buffer behind live for anything you want to keep, in other words. That's the point.

Last edited by slowbiscuit : 01-13-2013 at 10:04 AM.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:10 AM   #225
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

It's not a serious issue "bug" if you don't rely on the live buffer for anything important, either watching or recording. You can always watch the in-progress recording instead of the live buffer being recorded and have no issues. That's the point.
It breaks one of the basic functionalities (time delayed watching of live shows) of the TiVo box, so I'd call it a serious bug. Some people watch things "live" and now you can't pause shows since if you do the buffer might get dumped. I'd say 99% of what I watch is recordings, but even with that 1%, I've been bit by this.

Just because you don't use a feature, doesn't lesson the seriousness of a bug with that feature.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:45 PM   #226
tomhorsley

OK, I'm sitting there watching the Patriots beating the Texans with about 4 minutes left in the game, and suddenly the TiVo reboots itself. I don't think the last update actually improved anything :-).
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:42 PM   #227
haplo888

Exclamation

I'm still having the problem where all my older recordings have lost their stored channel information with 20.2.2.1.

20.2.2 worked fine, but with 20.2.2.1 the recordings are using the current lineup info instead the stored channel information from when they were recorded.
haplo888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:42 PM   #228
haplo888

Is there any way to go back to 20.2.2?
haplo888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:02 PM   #229
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by haplo888 View Post
Is there any way to go back to 20.2.2?
No
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:52 PM   #230
TVCricket
HDUI

So I finally decided to re transfer all my old videos over after the new update broke grouping. I've been using a Metadata Generator app from the pytivo forum. In the metadata file that it creates, everything is correct (Show Title/Episode #/Episode Name), but the episode titles are the show titles when they are transferred over to the Premiere. What could be causing this?

http://pytivo.sourceforge.net/forum/...n-3-t1786.html
Old 01-15-2013, 12:22 AM   #231
TVCricket
HDUI

Figured it out. I deleted something in the settings and now it puts the file name in default as the episode title.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:14 PM   #232
renee312

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
That is interesting. Obviously the data stream being sent out by the TiVo is not being discarded in the case of a recording, so maybe the bug is just that somebody decided to force a jump to the new channel whenever a channel change occurs. That makes no sense since a channel change affects what is being written to disk, not what is being read from disk. The output routine shouldn't care what channel the tuner is on. The previous behavior of continuing the now-orphaned data stream until its end is more logical and much more desirable. Maybe some programmer thought he had a better way to do something, but he hadn't thought it through sufficiently.
I would really like Tivo to address this, other than asking me to restart.
renee312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:23 PM   #233
adam3914

Quote:
It breaks one of the basic functionalities (time delayed watching of live shows) of the TiVo box, so I'd call it a serious bug. Some people watch things "live" and now you can't pause shows since if you do the buffer might get dumped. I'd say 99% of what I watch is recordings, but even with that 1%, I've been bit by this.

Just because you don't use a feature, doesn't lesson the seriousness of a bug with that feature.
I agree this is a serious bug, that ruins the basic functionality.
adam3914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:06 AM   #234
chrispitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
I really hope this gets fixed, and soon.
Please take the time to open a ticket. It won't get fixed unless enough people voice their displeasure.
chrispitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:31 AM   #235
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam3914 View Post
I agree this is a serious bug, that ruins the basic functionality.
If you count a live TV buffer getting dumped as 'ruining' the experience, sure. Boggles the mind why this would be so - it's called live TV for a reason.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:44 AM   #236
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

LiveTV Buffer retention broken in 20.2.2

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispitude View Post
Please take the time to open a ticket. It won't get fixed unless enough people voice their displeasure.
  1. Open a Support Ticket
  2. Email margret at tivo.com
  3. Email editor at tivo.com

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:34 AM   #237
Devx

Quote:
Technically it is still playing. Groups not "ending" has been a bug (or design flaw) since the HDUI was introduced. Previously you could delete groups with shows playing so the group not ending wasn't a big deal. Now you can't.

The real fix would be for playing groups to behave the same way as playing single recordings, but there is no "Delete group" prompt at the end of a group, like there is with individual recordings, so it really needs to be redesigned...
I agree, it would be nice if instead of Tivo displaying 'all done' it provided an option to delete the group.

There are other workarounds to using live TV though to get group delete back. As you put it, the show is still playing which for some reason is tripping up the group delete. Selecting the specific show that is still playing and deleting that will allow deleting of the group. Or, and this is simpler, hiding the viewer window (by pressing slow) will allow deleting of the group. I suppose those 2 workarounds only work because they force Tivo to stop playing the recording.
THD 2TB x 2
Humax S2 300GB (retired)
Devx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:20 AM   #238
leiff

Thanks for slow button hide preview window button tip, I'll give it a try
Old 01-17-2013, 10:40 AM   #239
scoombs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoMargret View Post
We have begun the full rollout of 20.2.2.1. (Note: there are limited zip codes that will stay at 20.2.2 for another month or so.)

--Margret
It has certainly been a month, but I am not sure if it has also been "or so" as well. As of last night I am still on 20.2.2 and am wondering if something is wrong, or if suburban DC/Maryland is even one of the magical zip codes affected?

On at least two occasions my Elite has done lengthy downloads/processing where I thought it might be updating, but it is still on the same version. Is anyone else not updated yet?
scoombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:52 PM   #240
TVCricket
HDUI

In my previous 2 posts, I asked about why my transferred shows weren't labeled correctly. I tried to finish off the last 2 series, but they aren't grouping. I checked the Metadata files and everything is labeled correctly, but each episode is created as its own show. Can anyone shed light as to why this is happening?