TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-11-2013, 08:24 PM   #5731
AJ500

I've been away from using TiVo on TWC cable for about 12 years. My previous experience was with a Series 2 on TWC basic analog cable.

I recently purchased an XL4 and contracted for TWC digital service. They mailed me a cable card but said I needed to stop by the local Cincinnati TWC store to pick up a Tuning Adapter. The store did not have a TA in stock and said they would call when it would arrive at the store in a few days. The TWC rep gave me his mobile phone number to call. After not receiving a call for several days, I called and left messages several days to get a status. I never got a call back. I didn't want to go back to to store and stand in line again. After two weeks of no call back, the rep finally answered his cell and acted surprised that I didn't have the TA. He said the TA would be sent to me by mail and it arrived in two days.

I called the national TWC CC support line and the tech was helpful in authorizing the CC, but I couldn't receive many of the digital channels that I was supposed to get. For example, I could get a good signal on the local ABC HD channel, but no signal on the local NBC HD channel. Using the CC and TA diagnostic screens on the TiVo, the tech said the signal levels were barely in range and he set up a service call.

The service tech came today and found that some of the frequencies were within spec and others were very low at the wall jack. Then it came to me that the last time I used TWC was the basic analog service (locals plus public access channels) and the other channels were blocked by a trap. The rep removed the trap at the entrance to the house and replaced the 40-year-old coax back to the pole.

Now, I look forward to having TiVo again!
AJ500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:25 AM   #5732
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ500 View Post
I've been away from using TiVo on TWC cable for about 12 years. My previous experience was with a Series 2 on TWC basic analog cable.

I recently purchased an XL4 and contracted for TWC digital service. They mailed me a cable card but said I needed to stop by the local Cincinnati TWC store to pick up a Tuning Adapter. The store did not have a TA in stock and said they would call when it would arrive at the store in a few days. The TWC rep gave me his mobile phone number to call. After not receiving a call for several days, I called and left messages several days to get a status. I never got a call back. I didn't want to go back to to store and stand in line again. After two weeks of no call back, the rep finally answered his cell and acted surprised that I didn't have the TA. He said the TA would be sent to me by mail and it arrived in two days.

I called the national TWC CC support line and the tech was helpful in authorizing the CC, but I couldn't receive many of the digital channels that I was supposed to get. For example, I could get a good signal on the local ABC HD channel, but no signal on the local NBC HD channel. Using the CC and TA diagnostic screens on the TiVo, the tech said the signal levels were barely in range and he set up a service call.

The service tech came today and found that some of the frequencies were within spec and others were very low at the wall jack. Then it came to me that the last time I used TWC was the basic analog service (locals plus public access channels) and the other channels were blocked by a trap. The rep removed the trap at the entrance to the house and replaced the 40-year-old coax back to the pole.

Now, I look forward to having TiVo again!
That experience was about par for TWC Southwest Ohio. Good luck but don't be surprised if you have troubles related to your TA and CableCARD. Most common problems are missing channels and tuning failures requiring re-tuning, or causing recording failures. Check that you can receive all the channels you should (that you care about) since incorrect account setup is a common problem. After that you may still occasionally lose all the SDV channels, usually fixed by power-cycling TA and rebooting TiVo. For the tuning failures there is no solution - TiVo has known about this for years but blames it on your cable system although it seems they could have fixed it in software by detecting the failure and re-tuning.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:38 AM   #5733
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
That experience was about par for TWC Southwest Ohio. Good luck but don't be surprised if you have troubles related to your TA and CableCARD.
With a new home run cable, AJ500's setup, is probably going to be ok.

If it was me, I'd replace the cable that connects to the T/A to the home run, too.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:53 PM   #5734
ToFarGone

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
That experience was about par for TWC Southwest Ohio. Good luck but don't be surprised if you have troubles related to your TA and CableCARD. Most common problems are missing channels and tuning failures requiring re-tuning, or causing recording failures. Check that you can receive all the channels you should (that you care about) since incorrect account setup is a common problem. After that you may still occasionally lose all the SDV channels, usually fixed by power-cycling TA and rebooting TiVo. For the tuning failures there is no solution - TiVo has known about this for years but blames it on your cable system although it seems they could have fixed it in software by detecting the failure and re-tuning.
I was a new Tivo user and TWC cable customer. I just sent my Tivo Premiere XL4 back & cancelled my service today because of this very reason. In short, after just a few seconds I would get no signal on SDV or non-SDV channels. It was random and would move from channel to channel, one would come back and another would disappear. The only time it wouldn't happen is when three of the tuners were tuned into the same channel and only one was changing channels. Once they all tuned into different channels the issue would occur immediately.

After 5 weeks of replacing cables, checking cable signals, replacing T/As & CableCards, getting a new Tivo box, and adding attenuators bring the SNR to the 29-35db range; Tivo tech support just gave up. The last tech I talked to said it just wouldn't work for me without offering any reason why.

My final call today with customer support revealed something very interesting. I was informed that the Premiere boxes will not work on a system with an analog signal. Not simply they wouldn't receive an analog signal (although mine did) but if there was an analog signal, the box would not be guaranteed to function properly at all. Tech support didn't mention this in all my conversations with them, so the rep could be mistaken (which isn't good). If she is correct then you have to wonder why their tech support didn't mention this immediately.

Sad really because I liked the Tivo. But if it fails to record and get channels on a daily basis, it is simply not worth it.

Last edited by ToFarGone : 01-12-2013 at 01:35 PM.
ToFarGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:52 PM   #5735
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToFarGone View Post
My final call today with customer support revealed something very interesting. I was informed that the Premiere boxes will not work on a system with an analog signal.
Don't tell that to my Premiere XL4, as TWC in Torrance still provides analog programming, ch2 thru ch99.

Of course, the XL4 does not tune them; but it does not fail to tune digital channels because of the analog signal, either.

Last edited by Teeps : 01-13-2013 at 06:18 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:55 PM   #5736
rassi

I just asked about this somewhere else - if I upgrade to a Premiere will I be unable to tune to channels 2-99??? TWC still sends us WGN America on channel 18 and it is the only way I can watch the Cubs....I have to watch the Cubs... LOL!
rassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:28 PM   #5737
scole250

Quote:
Originally Posted by rassi View Post
I just asked about this somewhere else - if I upgrade to a Premiere will I be unable to tune to channels 2-99??? TWC still sends us WGN America on channel 18 and it is the only way I can watch the Cubs....I have to watch the Cubs... LOL!
Digital SD channels are mapped to channels that analog would have been received on. The digital version of WGN will be received on your channel 18 and it will be crisp and clear. No analog fuzz.

TWC still broadcasts analog here and my 3 (2 tuner) Premieres could care less.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:23 PM   #5738
BarryKeller

No channels at all

I have been trying for three months now to get my TiVo Premier connected to Time Warner. It has never worked on TW, never. I get to the Downloading Channel information screen and it locks at 75% and goes no further. I have had two different TiVos sent to me and none of them work. I hve had 12-15 different Cable cards inserted, none work. I have had 5 or 6 Tuning Adapters, none work. Nothing works.

Today when the Time Warner guy cane by, he had an email from their home office saying that TiVo software is incompatible with Time Warner and cannot be corrected by Time Warner. In fact, they are to no longe book appointments for TiVo Premiere issues as the problem is TiVos alone.

I now own a $600 boat anchor.
BarryKeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:27 PM   #5739
scole250

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryKeller View Post
I have been trying for three months now to get my TiVo Premier connected to Time Warner. It has never worked on TW, never. I get to the Downloading Channel information screen and it locks at 75% and goes no further. I have had two different TiVos sent to me and none of them work. I hve had 12-15 different Cable cards inserted, none work. I have had 5 or 6 Tuning Adapters, none work. Nothing works.

Today when the Time Warner guy cane by, he had an email from their home office saying that TiVo software is incompatible with Time Warner and cannot be corrected by Time Warner. In fact, they are to no longe book appointments for TiVo Premiere issues as the problem is TiVos alone.

I now own a $600 boat anchor.
I call BS. Downloading the channel guide info has nothing to do with whether you have a working cable card. If the download failed, you might have really poor broadband/DSL service, problem network or if it dials out, phone line problems.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:37 PM   #5740
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by scole250 View Post
I call BS. Downloading the channel guide info has nothing to do with whether you have a working cable card. If the download failed, you might have really poor broadband/DSL service, problem network or if it dials out, phone line problems.
I believe he is talking about the 'drill bit' screen where TiVo loads the channel map from the cableco. It does depend on the cablecard to locate and enable tuning the FDC. I suggest you go into DVR Diags and look at OOB SNR.

But the rest is obviously BS. TWC does support Cablecard by order of the FCC. They would love him to believe that crap and just go away but its just not true.

EDIT: However, now that I think about it, the drill bit screen doesnt say anything about percent done. Perhaps you are right and he is talking about downloading the guide info which does have percent complete.... in that case you would be on point...
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:47 PM   #5741
scole250

BarryKeller, I'm calling BS on TWC, not you. I don't believe they can refuse to service the cable card install. What step is it on when it fails? Does it fail at "Getting Info" or "Loading Info??
Old 01-16-2013, 08:04 PM   #5742
BarryKeller

It is the "Acquiring Channel Information" screen. It says, "Loading..." and the status bar is at 75% and never goes any further. After 30 minuest or so it will got to "Error Acquiring Channel s". Time Warner has been to my house seven or eight times now trying to get this fixed. It never works; it has never gotten past this and this is the only screen I see when I go to "Live TV." The guy today showed me the email and the last part of it said (I parphrase here), "Do not book any support visits for TiVo Premiere issues until TiVo corrects their software." However, I don't think this email has anything to do with my problem, as it talked about some channels not coming in, not no TV at all, which is what I have.

What really pisses me off is I had TW over here yesterday and TiVo support on the phone. The TiVo person said, "Oh that just meand you have to awit two hours for the channels to download." I told them that was not what it meant at all, but they insisted and told me to tell TW to leave. We of course it did not work and so, once again I went through the guided setup and once again it failed. When I called TiVo back I got a guy who said he knew the problem and could talk a TW person through it. So we called TW and set up yet another appointment for 2:00 today. TW was here but I called TiVo and the emailed the tech guy from yesterday to call me and he never did. After an hour TW left. I ams so screwed.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:18 PM   #5743
BarryKeller

And as I understand it, it is the initial channel mapping that it is doing and failing at. If I take the cablecard out I can get all the non-HD channels, well, the basic cable package. It is one when a cablecard is installed that the error occurs.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:21 PM   #5744
BarryKeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID View Post
I believe he is talking about the 'drill bit' screen where TiVo loads the channel map from the cableco. It does depend on the cablecard to locate and enable tuning the FDC. I suggest you go into DVR Diags and look at OOB SNR.

But the rest is obviously BS. TWC does support Cablecard by order of the FCC. They would love him to believe that crap and just go away but its just not true.

EDIT: However, now that I think about it, the drill bit screen doesnt say anything about percent done. Perhaps you are right and he is talking about downloading the guide info which does have percent complete.... in that case you would be on point...
OOB SNR: 2 dB

Not sure what that means.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:24 PM   #5745
SCSIRAID

Quote:
OOB SNR: 2 dB

Not sure what that means.
Well there's your problem...................

There may be a filter somewhere where it shouldnt be. Tell the tech to check signal level on FDC frequency. What was the OOB frequency? 74Mhz? The OOB frequency is what he needs to check. Do you have a TWC cable box? It shouldnt be working either when attached to the cable the TiVo is attached to.

Putting a TWC box on that cable and showing it not working would be the smoking gun for TWC. Also suggest that you ask TWC to confirm that the OOB frequency that TiVo indicates is the proper FDC frequency for your system.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:27 PM   #5746
SCSIRAID

Quote:
It is the "Acquiring Channel Information" screen. It says, "Loading..." and the status bar is at 75% and never goes any further. After 30 minuest or so it will got to "Error Acquiring Channel s". Time Warner has been to my house seven or eight times now trying to get this fixed. It never works; it has never gotten past this and this is the only screen I see when I go to "Live TV." The guy today showed me the email and the last part of it said (I parphrase here), "Do not book any support visits for TiVo Premiere issues until TiVo corrects their software." However, I don't think this email has anything to do with my problem, as it talked about some channels not coming in, not no TV at all, which is what I have.

What really pisses me off is I had TW over here yesterday and TiVo support on the phone. The TiVo person said, "Oh that just meand you have to awit two hours for the channels to download." I told them that was not what it meant at all, but they insisted and told me to tell TW to leave. We of course it did not work and so, once again I went through the guided setup and once again it failed. When I called TiVo back I got a guy who said he knew the problem and could talk a TW person through it. So we called TW and set up yet another appointment for 2:00 today. TW was here but I called TiVo and the emailed the tech guy from yesterday to call me and he never did. After an hour TW left. I ams so screwed.
While you are on this screen, is there a little rotating round picture (I call it the drill bit). I dont recall a progress indicator but perhaps that came in the latest sw update.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:42 PM   #5747
BarryKeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID View Post
Well there's your problem...................

There may be a filter somewhere where it shouldnt be. Tell the tech to check signal level on FDC frequency. What was the OOB frequency? 74Mhz? The OOB frequency is what he needs to check. Do you have a TWC cable box? It shouldnt be working either when attached to the cable the TiVo is attached to.

Putting a TWC box on that cable and showing it not working would be the smoking gun for TWC. Also suggest that you ask TWC to confirm that the OOB frequency that TiVo indicates is the proper FDC frequency for your system.
Frequency is 75250 KHz

There is a TW box and it works just fine, either through the cable or off a splitter. I thought the splitter might be the issue, but it makes no difference it I use it or not.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:53 PM   #5748
BarryKeller

It looks like this:

Old 01-16-2013, 09:21 PM   #5749
scole250

What model TA do you have?
Old 01-16-2013, 10:23 PM   #5750
cwoody222

You may want this info handy:

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/...hecableheadend
Old 01-17-2013, 12:12 AM   #5751
BarryKeller

Quote:
What model TA do you have?
Motorola MTR700
Old 01-17-2013, 06:20 AM   #5752
scole250

When you got the second Tivo, did you call the TWC cable card install number and work with a tech over the phone to re-pair the card card with the new Tivo?
Old 01-17-2013, 06:46 AM   #5753
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Motorola MTR700
I assume the cablecards are Motorola too?
Old 01-17-2013, 09:36 AM   #5754
BarryKeller

Quote:
When you got the second Tivo, did you call the TWC cable card install number and work with a tech over the phone to re-pair the card card with the new Tivo?
I have spent over 30 hours on the phone (many of those on hold) and with TW in my house trying to get this fixed. This is the third TiVo I have tried. The current cablecard and all of the previous cablecards have been paired correctly. There was one bad cablecard that generated errors, but the current one does not. All cablecards are Motorola.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:59 PM   #5755
scole250

Quote:
I have spent over 30 hours on the phone (many of those on hold) and with TW in my house trying to get this fixed. This is the third TiVo I have tried. The current cablecard and all of the previous cablecards have been paired correctly. There was one bad cablecard that generated errors, but the current one does not. All cablecards are Motorola.
I have Cisco TAs which I think may have a different diagnostic page as the Motorola TAs, but every time I've paired a cable card the TWC tech, on the phone, always had me go into the TA diagnostic menu and check various activity and statuses. Can't remember exactly what was checked, but making sure "status locked", making sure the EMM(?) count went high enough.

Did you go through all of that each time with the tech too?
Old 01-17-2013, 01:03 PM   #5756
cwoody222

Plenty that can go wrong (on the cable company's end) even if the Cards are activated. See the link I provided above for LOTS of info that looks pretty applicable to this situation.

My guess is the Channel Map is messed up on their end. I wouldn't be surprised if you spent all this time only to find out it was TW's problem all along and they were too ignorant to know what to fix.

Note: TiVo has lots of broken links on the page but just remove the text after .pdf on the links to get them to work.

Please let us know how it all works out. Good luck! Once it DOES all work out, it's wonderful.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:29 PM   #5757
Teeps

Quote:
Motorola MTR700
Interesting...
In Torrance TWC is using Cisco TAs.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:57 PM   #5758
cwoody222

On a separate note can I just vent for a second about how Time Warner's use of the CCI Byte completely blows. I'm going on a trip next week and what I can transfer to my iPad is greatly hindered since they only allow me to transfer broadcast channels. They suck so hard.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot_1_17_13_6_55_PM.png (47.0 KB, 13 views)
Old 01-18-2013, 11:51 AM   #5759
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoody222 View Post
On a separate note can I just vent for a second about how Time Warner's use of the CCI Byte completely blows. I'm going on a trip next week and what I can transfer to my iPad is greatly hindered since they only allow me to transfer broadcast channels. They suck so hard.
I agree the copy flag blows...
But, doesn't the TiVo Stream allow transfer of all programming to an iPhone,pad,pod type device?

But, that's another cost to you.

What really BLOWS is the inability of streaming between TiVo Premier and S3 units. Especially when (non copy) programs can be transfered between the two platforms. It's not like it can't be done, tivo just doesn't want to do it.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:02 PM   #5760
cwoody222

Is that true? The TiVo STREAM can transfer protected shows to my iOS device to watch outside my home???