TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-10-2013, 03:03 PM   #1
rjom

MY Book Expander as esata storage

I am attempting to use my 1 TB MyBook DVR expander for TIVO as an esata drive for extra storage for my computer. I have been using the 500 Gig but it is failing. For some reason, I am unable to initialize this new disk through disk management on the computer. When I right click there is no initialize disk message and I am unable to format it.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I am using Windows 7.

Thanks,Rick.
rjom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:54 PM   #2
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjom View Post
I am attempting to use my 1 TB MyBook DVR expander for TIVO as an esata drive for extra storage for my computer. I have been using the 500 Gig but it is failing. For some reason, I am unable to initialize this new disk through disk management on the computer. When I right click there is no initialize disk message and I am unable to format it.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I am using Windows 7.

Thanks,Rick.
Do you actually have an eSATA connector on your computer or did you take the drive out of the enclosure and use a USB adapter? Given that the drive was previously used on a Tivo, you may need to use something like Easeus partition SW (the free version should work) to delete all but one of the sectors before Windows will take a liking to it. I had that issue with an SD card that was partitioned for Linux.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:34 PM   #3
rjom

Yes, there is an esata on the computer. Drive is new out of the box.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:47 AM   #4
unitron

Does the drive actually show up in Disk Management?

How is it named there?
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:13 AM   #5
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjom View Post
Yes, there is an esata on the computer. Drive is new out of the box.
You didn't make the "new out of the box" clear. I would suggest that you get or borrow a cheap USB to SATA adapter cable to test the drive. That way you can determine if it is the drive or the enclosure or maybe incompatibility between the two. Unless drive access speed is essential for your external storage, I would recommend getting a USB enclosre for your drive and forget eSATA.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:19 AM   #6
rjom

Actually, for some strange reason it finally accepted the format now command. I like the speed of the esata. There is no comparison. Picked up these TIVO expander drives for about $50. Problem is, at least the older ones only last about a year. Hopefully they have fixed that problem.