TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013, 02:20 PM   #1
Gunnyman
Super FunBall
 
Gunnyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Greenville SC
Posts: 29,087
Cougar Town S04E01

SO glad this show is back.
Anybody else wonder how Ellie got the rug burns on her head?

Also I watched to the very end and they showed the "preview" for this season. I got an "Arrested Development" vibe.

__________________
It's a sociological cornucopia of silliness.
Gamertag: GGwallen
Gunnyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:35 PM   #2
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey
 
Steveknj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 33,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman View Post
SO glad this show is back.
Anybody else wonder how Ellie got the rug burns on her head?
Oh I had some thoughts on the subject, but NSFW

Quote:
Also I watched to the very end and they showed the "preview" for this season. I got an "Arrested Development" vibe.
Yes, I thought that was awesome.

Also, did anyone notice that they kind of "defined" the characters again. I think they felt that they would get some new viewers on TBS. One example I remember of them is them talking on the boat, and they said something like, "living on a boat in this parking lot for 5 years".
__________________
Annoying Blurb
Steveknj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:31 PM   #3
ScubaCat
Shades of Blue......
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: N.E. GA
Posts: 2,331
So happy to have Cougar Town back! I'll have to watch my recording again to see the part at the end.

The only thing that bothers me is they air the series on Tuesday night. Watching the show always makes me want a big glass of red wine with the gang but I have work very early the next day so I can't. I'll just have to start watching it on a delayed basis on Friday evening.
ScubaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:10 AM   #4
ScubaCat
Shades of Blue......
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: N.E. GA
Posts: 2,331
Title Card:
Welcome back to Cougar Town. Thanks, TBS. Can we curse on TV now?

ScubaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:16 AM   #5
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa
 
Anubys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Fairfax Station, VA
Posts: 22,084
It was nice that they did a normal show. Not a big production about being on TBS and trying to make some grand new beginning.
__________________
That Anubys is a GENIUS! -- Rob Helmerichs
I'm sure not a GENIUS, like Anubys -- Rob Helmerichs
And Anubys' genius just keeps shining through! -- Rob Helmerichs
Anubys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:06 AM   #6
Hoffer
Captain Chaos
 
Hoffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 31,216
I watched the show yesterday. I watched like the first half of the first season before giving up on it. I didn't hate it, but didn't like it enough to keep watching. Something about the move to TBS got me interested again. I thought about going back and trying to finish season 1, 2 and 3, but decided to just go straight to season 4. I think I did alright, because I remembered all the characters on the show, except the dude that stands outside the window all the time. Is that guy a regular on the show now? What is his story?
__________________
Xbox/PSN/Wii U IDs: Hoffer
Hoffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:24 AM   #7
ScubaCat
Shades of Blue......
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: N.E. GA
Posts: 2,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffer View Post
...I think I did alright, because I remembered all the characters on the show, except the dude that stands outside the window all the time. Is that guy a regular on the show now? What is his story?
He is a neighbor that desperately wants to be part of the group but they continue to ignore him (poor guy). He never gives up (well not yet).
ScubaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:45 AM   #8
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa
 
Anubys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Fairfax Station, VA
Posts: 22,084
And he's a brilliant doctor/surgeon!

I also almost gave up on the show but glad I stuck with it. The people really evolved during seasons 2 and 3 and I think it would be worth it for you to go back and watch them.
__________________
That Anubys is a GENIUS! -- Rob Helmerichs
I'm sure not a GENIUS, like Anubys -- Rob Helmerichs
And Anubys' genius just keeps shining through! -- Rob Helmerichs
Anubys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:14 PM   #9
ScubaCat
Shades of Blue......
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: N.E. GA
Posts: 2,331
I tried to watch the first season of Cougar Town and just did not like it. I gave it another chance during season 3 at the suggestion of a friend. I'm glad I did. It would be interesting to go back and watch those early shows now that I "get it" to see how I feel about them now.
ScubaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:20 PM   #10
Hoffer
Captain Chaos
 
Hoffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 31,216
I know I've only seen the one episode since season 1, but I didn't think the show seemed any different. They like to drink wine still, the neighbor lady is still mean to her husband, the ex-husband still lives on a boat on land, the guy still runs(owns?) a bar, the kid still seems more responsible than the adults, etc...
__________________
Xbox/PSN/Wii U IDs: Hoffer
Hoffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:54 PM   #11
ScubaCat
Shades of Blue......
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: N.E. GA
Posts: 2,331
TBS showed six shows from Season 3 before the new episode aired. I wonder if they will be showing Season 1 and 2 at some point?
ScubaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:36 PM   #12
Hank
AC•FTW
 
Hank's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 17,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaCat View Post
He is a neighbor that desperately wants to be part of the group but they continue to ignore him (poor guy). He never gives up (well not yet).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
And he's a brilliant doctor/surgeon!
That guy is as odd/strange in real life as on the show. I went to one of the CT Season 3 season premier parties last year (just a bunch of people in a bar, drinking, along with Bill Lawrence and several cast members). At the party I went to, most of the male cast members were there (Travis, Grayson, Bobby, and Tom). It was a fun party and it was open bar thanks to Bill Lawrence!

Anyway, I went into the mens room, and not only did "Tom" come in right after me, he brought his beer with him, placed it on the urinal while doing his business, AND talked to me the entire time! I think I left before he did, so I don't know if he washed his hands. But yeah, he gives off this really creepy vibe IRL.

Grayson (Josh Hopkins) OTOH, I spoke with for quite a while. Really cool, friendly dude. I figured the women in the bar would be all over him, but he and I chatted for quite a bit. Turns out he composes and plays all of his guitar parts on the show.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:44 PM   #13
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey
 
Steveknj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 33,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
That guy is as odd/strange in real life as on the show. I went to one of the CT Season 3 season premier parties last year (just a bunch of people in a bar, drinking, along with Bill Lawrence and several cast members). At the party I went to, most of the male cast members were there (Travis, Grayson, Bobby, and Tom). It was a fun party and it was open bar thanks to Bill Lawrence!

Anyway, I went into the mens room, and not only did "Tom" come in right after me, he brought his beer with him, placed it on the urinal while doing his business, AND talked to me the entire time! I think I left before he did, so I don't know if he washed his hands. But yeah, he gives off this really creepy vibe IRL.

Grayson (Josh Hopkins) OTOH, I spoke with for quite a while. Really cool, friendly dude. I figured the women in the bar would be all over him, but he and I chatted for quite a bit. Turns out he composes and plays all of his guitar parts on the show.
I've never met any of these people, but Josh Hopkins gives off the kind of vibe that he's be REALLY cool to watch a game with over a couple of beers (if I actually drank beer). He just seems like he'd be real cool to hang out with.
__________________
Annoying Blurb
Steveknj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:15 AM   #14
cmontyburns
Excellent.
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 9,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffer View Post
I know I've only seen the one episode since season 1, but I didn't think the show seemed any different. They like to drink wine still, the neighbor lady is still mean to her husband, the ex-husband still lives on a boat on land, the guy still runs(owns?) a bar, the kid still seems more responsible than the adults, etc...
The characters and setting are all the same (mostly), but the premise has shifted a bit. In the first part of the first season, the show was more about Jules dealing with approaching mid-life by seeking to date younger men (hence the title). It was a bit more squarely focused on that character and her relationships with the other characters were a bit different, and them to each other. Over the course of that season, the show transitioned into being more of a hangout comedy with the edges rounded off all the relationships to soften them, and a strong friends-as-family vibe brought in.
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:19 PM   #15
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa
 
Anubys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Fairfax Station, VA
Posts: 22,084
that's exactly it, IMO. They started with a different premise then quickly realized they had put together an amazing ensemble cast and shifted gears. Great decision but that also got them stuck with a show name that makes no sense!
__________________
That Anubys is a GENIUS! -- Rob Helmerichs
I'm sure not a GENIUS, like Anubys -- Rob Helmerichs
And Anubys' genius just keeps shining through! -- Rob Helmerichs
Anubys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:13 PM   #16
ScubaCat
Shades of Blue......
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: N.E. GA
Posts: 2,331
I just noticed you can download the season 4 premiere episode of Cougar Town (Blue Sunday, in HD) from iTunes for free right now. Score!

I also purchased season 1. I'll have to pick up a big bottle of red wine for this weekend.
ScubaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:25 PM   #17
JYoung
Series 3
 
JYoung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 24,275
Big Carl awaits.
__________________
Member of the TiVoShanan Fan Club!

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:00 AM   #18
Ment
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: People's Republic of Boulder
Posts: 7,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
Big Dead Carl awaits.
fyp Jules has gone threw a few, its now Big Lou.
Ment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:04 PM   #19
markz
Hilarity Ensues
 
markz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Connersville, IN
Posts: 12,177
My wife & I are thrilled to have Cougar Town back! The show doesn't feel like it missed a beat at all. Still great!
__________________
- Mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:15 PM   #20
Hoffer
Captain Chaos
 
Hoffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 31,216
Was the third episode of this season on this week? I deleted my season pass for the show half way through.

I mentioned before that I only watched part of season 1 and then thought I'd try and pick up the show on TBS. The show just isn't for me.
__________________
Xbox/PSN/Wii U IDs: Hoffer
Hoffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:22 AM   #21
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa
 
Anubys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Fairfax Station, VA
Posts: 22,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffer View Post
Was the third episode of this season on this week? I deleted my season pass for the show half way through.

I mentioned before that I only watched part of season 1 and then thought I'd try and pick up the show on TBS. The show just isn't for me.
Not sure why you are asking...if you deleted your sp and the show isn't for you, why do you care?

(not being a jerk, although it sounds like I am, I'm just curious since it seems like an odd post)
__________________
That Anubys is a GENIUS! -- Rob Helmerichs
I'm sure not a GENIUS, like Anubys -- Rob Helmerichs
And Anubys' genius just keeps shining through! -- Rob Helmerichs
Anubys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:46 AM   #22
Hank
AC•FTW
 
Hank's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 17,518
+1
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:51 AM   #23
Hoffer
Captain Chaos
 
Hoffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 31,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
Not sure why you are asking...if you deleted your sp and the show isn't for you, why do you care?

(not being a jerk, although it sounds like I am, I'm just curious since it seems like an odd post)
I was trying to figure out how many episodes I gave a chance before giving up.
__________________
Xbox/PSN/Wii U IDs: Hoffer
Hoffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:53 AM   #24
Hank
AC•FTW
 
Hank's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 17,518
Yes, the 3rd ep was this week.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:27 AM   #25
ScubaCat
Shades of Blue......
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: N.E. GA
Posts: 2,331
Heads up for those who like the show - TBS is now showing episodes from season one weekdays at 5 PM EST.
ScubaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:57 AM   #26
ScubaCat
Shades of Blue......
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: N.E. GA
Posts: 2,331
Good news! Cougar Town has been renewed for Season 5 on TBS.
ScubaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:49 AM   #27
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey
 
Steveknj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 33,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaCat View Post
Good news! Cougar Town has been renewed for Season 5 on TBS.
Yay!! I actually like it more this year than I have for awhile. I think they found their stride again.
__________________
Annoying Blurb
Steveknj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVo® is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:50 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |