TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-10-2013, 02:42 PM   #1
lsitter

Where is the sales area without eBay?

Where is the sales forum for those who wish to sell their two TiVos but don't want to use eBay? I tried to list it in the auction area but had it removed because I choose NOT to use eBay due to a bad experience there. Or is that my only option here?

Last edited by Mike Lang : 01-10-2013 at 02:55 PM.
lsitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:54 PM   #2
Mike Lang
Super Moderator

The owners only want ebay sales posted on the site at this time.
Mike Lang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:55 PM   #3
lsitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lang View Post
The owners only want ebay sales posted on the site at this time.
Ok, I guess that's why I can't find it.
lsitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:26 PM   #4
ramblinche81

Millions of satisfied buyers and sellers on ebay

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsitter View Post
Where is the sales forum for those who wish to sell their two TiVos but don't want to use eBay? I tried to list it in the auction area but had it removed because I choose NOT to use eBay due to a bad experience there. Or is that my only option here?
A bad experience on ebay ? As a buyer or seller ?

As a seller, the only way it goes bad is you misidentify your goods or don't clearly indicate return policy which leaves you exposed to an unwanted return.

As a buyer, they have buyer protection, and you can always ask questions. Multiple times I've asked questions and seller never answered, so I didn't bid.

The ONLY time I had an issue was a seller showed freight of x and you could choose multiple quantity of the item, I bought 8 and the seller wanted 8x shipping and handling. I refused to pay, but never lost anything in the process.... I should have asked, what is your S&H for mult items before I bought it now....but the seller should have been clear S&H x per each or similar.

Ebay is as good as the buyer or seller is willing to pay attention to details.
ramblinche81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:23 AM   #5
Arcady
Stargate Fan

eBay charges 9% of the sales price and shipping. Some people would like to stop giving so much money to a website for doing so little. It's easier and cheaper to sell person to person on a forum like this, especially one with such a narrow focus.

I sell dozens of items on eBay every month, but I prefer private sales.

As for your shipping issue, every auction has a shipping tab where you can put in the number of items you want and it will give you a total. Sometimes a seller forgets to set up a discount for multiple items, and sometimes they are just crooks. Sometimes they factor the shipping per item into their profits, like when they sell $1 items with $20 shipping. This used to be a way to avoid eBay fees; now they charge a percentage on the shipping as well, which really sucks.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:27 AM   #6
Ed_Hunt
Pokerpro

EBay

"As a seller, the only way it goes bad is you misidentify your goods or don't clearly indicate return policy which leaves you exposed to an unwanted return."

Wow, I wish I had your experiences on Ebay. I'll just give you one of many as a seller. A guy bought a GPS and kept it for 40 days then filed a claim it wouldn't hold a charge. Ebay insisted I give him his money back even though he bought it as is and used it for the longest time he could before returning it. Ebay told him to return it, he made out a priority mail form and said it was shipped. After a few days I called Ebay and told them not to refund his money, it hadn't shipped (the tracking hadn't moved) and he was scamming to get his money back. Turns out he was doing this to a bunch of people all at once and he had a 100% feedback because you can't give buyers anything else.
I have had 100 times as many good experiences on Ebay, but please dont say the only way to lose as a seller is to be dishonest.
1 Roamio OTA only
60" LG Plasma
60" Vizio 1080P
36" LG HD
Ed_Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:09 AM   #7
steve614
what ru lookin at?

All the horrer stories have kept me away from e-bay. Of course it goes without saying, you only hear about the complaints because satisfied people usually say nothing. I'm sure the majority of people who use e-bay have no problems, but knowing my luck I'd be in the minority.

Another thing that keeps me away is the power users have is too lopsided toward the buyer. It would be a little more even if sellers were allowed to give bad ratings to buyers.

As it is, I trust the people here WAY more than I do those on e-bay.
Maybe someone can make a EULA that states "... may not hold TCF or its owners responsible for any blah, blah, blah...and make anyone entering the buy/sell forum agree to it.
Would that get the ball rolling faster?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:53 AM   #8
takeshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinche81 View Post
As a seller, the only way it goes bad is you misidentify your goods or don't clearly indicate return policy which leaves you exposed to an unwanted return.
That's not the only way it goes bad. It might be the only way you can think of or the only way you've experienced it but sellers have plenty of bad experiences that are not solely due to the reasons you indicated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
I'm sure the majority of people who use e-bay have no problems, but knowing my luck I'd be in the minority.
I can't recall having any problems but I mostly buy. As stated above, there are steps you can take to improve your odds and, as you stated, ebay is a bit slanted towards the buyer.
takeshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:23 PM   #9
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsitter View Post
They use to allow non eBay sales on that forum, but that has changed. But I seem have read a post by a moderator that they were considering having another forum for non ebay sales.
A lot of people sold items on this website before they changed the rules, and I never heard or experienced any problems.

I have had problems both ways on eBay, but only as an exception to the rule. It is a especially good place to buy now, but not as good place to sell with the new rules. I avoid it when I can to sell, but buy on it all the time. I especially buy out of season items then sell them in season.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:21 PM   #10
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by replaytv View Post
But I seem have read a post by a moderator that they were considering having another forum for non ebay sales.
It's here!

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=499504

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote