TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-10-2013, 03:46 PM   #1
kevreh

Need to upgrade...but can't update drive in Premier?

I'm trying to figure out my options. The HDMI port in my TIVO HD is broke, and I want to avoid the componant cable hookup. I have a 1tb drive in the HD I installed a few years ago.

Fair enough, maybe time to get the newest TIVO series box. But, from what I understand TIVO is preventing people from putting in their own drives? What??? And there's only 1 external drive I can buy? And the 1 tb internal drive updates from place like weaknees are like $200?! What a crappy business model. Way to take away options and make people pay more than what they did before.

And it sounds like transferring shows may not work, depending on copyrights?

What the h*ll, in a competitive DVR field why is TIVO removing "features"?
Also, while I'm ranting, did the HD menu's get faster yet, or are they still slugish? Seems odd they talk about new slicker-looking menu's but otoh the performance isn't there (or wasn't based on some reports I read).

Sorry, but been a long time customer, just doesn't seem like TIVO is trying to take care of its customers with this.
kevreh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:58 PM   #2
P42

You need to try the upgrade forum:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=455968
Upgrade the harddrive is as easy as it ever was, if not even easier. Comer did a great job of making the process Next, Next, Next, Wait, Long Wait, Next and Done. And then you'll have up to 2TB of storage space.
weaknees doesn't have a crappy business model, he is providing a service to those to lazy/fearful/etc to open their Tivo.

You can't blame Tivo for not permitting the transferring of shows, they have to follow the rules of the license owner.

Check the threads on the firmware upgrades to get up to date on what changes have been made in the software in the Premiere, they've made progress, but of course we always want more. Personally I prefer the SD menu style. Shrug.
P42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:26 PM   #3
kevreh

I agree about weaknees, I was aiming that at Tivo. Thanks for pointing out this link. Time to sit back and read through 50+ pages of discussion.

Thanks again.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:30 PM   #4
CatScratchFever

you can get pre-formatted drives fairly cheap on ebay FWIW
CatScratchFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:07 PM   #5
Dan203
Super Moderator

I think you're misunderstanding. You can still upgrade the drive in a Premiere just like you could in older units. The difference is when it comes to other hacks. The Premiere units are locked down pretty good so they can not be hacked like older units. But I'm 99% sure the Premiere units can still have their hard drives upgraded just like older units.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:59 PM   #6
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I think you're misunderstanding. You can still upgrade the drive in a Premiere just like you could in older units. The difference is when it comes to other hacks. The Premiere units are locked down pretty good so they can not be hacked like older units. But I'm 99% sure the Premiere units can still have their hard drives upgraded just like older units.

Dan
Not quite as easy because the Premeire requires a direct copy from a working drive versus earlier models where you could capture and restore a truncated image.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:27 PM   #7
P42

Skip reading the 50+ pages, skip to the last 10 or so and see what are the currently known to work drives, every now and then there seems to be a drive or motherboard (gigabyte I'm looking at you) that doesn't play nice.
The WD20EURS gets a thumbs up. Then just follow the USAGE BASIC instructions in the first post. You probably should check the WDidle settings, see the 50+ page thread for details

The copy does take a long time, it took over night on my PC, but it is dated and so likely has SATA1 ports. Enjoy the 300+ hours of HD space.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:28 PM   #8
mattack

Also, one bit (someone please correct me) -- you need a 2 TB drive or smaller. Larger than 2 TB drives are now starting to get cheap, but you can't use >2 TB drive EVEN if you were willing to waste the >2TB space. Others have said Tivos won't even boot with a >2TB drive installed.

Bummer, so I'm probably going to get ANOTHER drive to use externally (via kmttg & streambaby which is built into the OS X port of pytivo) for storage.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:03 AM   #9
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Also, one bit (someone please correct me) -- you need a 2 TB drive or smaller. Larger than 2 TB drives are now starting to get cheap, but you can't use >2 TB drive EVEN if you were willing to waste the >2TB space. Others have said Tivos won't even boot with a >2TB drive installed.

Bummer, so I'm probably going to get ANOTHER drive to use externally (via kmttg & streambaby which is built into the OS X port of pytivo) for storage.
When you say external do you mean external to a PC, or external to the TiVo?

As I understand it, you can only use an external on a TiVo if the internal is the original size and not larger.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:13 AM   #10
P42

@unitron: Given that mattack references kmttg & streambaby I read it to mean on a PC, and not an external eSATA drive attached to the Tivo. Weaknees do have the ability to do 2TB internal and 2TB external, but at $550, I'd just go with a second Tivo

@mattack: I believe you can use kmttg to pull, strip ads, encode to mpeg4, and push back to Tivo. This will reduce the amount of space that is consumed on the Tivo. I think kmttg can do a good job of just polling particular programs, it has been a while since I played with it, so you could have it do this for stuff you flag as KUID, as there is little point in having it do this for stuff you going to dump in a day or two.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:16 AM   #11
kevreh

BTW, the section labeled "Is the internal hard drive be upgradable like past TiVos?" in the FAQ thread (http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=444083) is what set me off. Looks like the FAQs haven't been updated since 2010, maybe time for an update.

Quote:
15. Is the internal hard drive be upgradable like past TiVos?

End-user internal drive upgrades are not possible with existing tools. DIY tools such as WinMFS and MFSLive enable capacity on larger replacement drives by creating a new partition with the extra space. Prior TiVos recognized the new partition and used it to store recorded programs. The Premiere does not, so new methods must be found to utilize the added capacity on a replacement drive.

DVRUpgrade and Weaknees discovered such a method and now offer pre-upgraded Premiere DVRs with 2TB (317 HD hours) capacity, as well as pre-prepared 2TB drive replacements. Weaknees also sells an internal plus external drive configuration with 4TB (639 HD hours). Both opted not to publicly disclose the new method or tools for competitive reasons, so DIY enthusiasts must wait for the appropriate method and tools to find their way into the public domain.

For now, Western Digital’s My DVR Expander (1TB eSATA) is the only option to increase capacity, outside of pre-prepared drives sold by DVRUpgrade, Weaknees, and some ebay sellers.