TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-10-2013, 01:46 PM   #1
Trekkie

TWC + Tivo Premiere

Hello.

My last visit while logged into this forum was May 1st, 2006.

Thus began my DVR dark ages. I sold the two TiVo's I had at the time, and I went to DirecTV and their HD DVR. That lasted until about a year ago, and I went to Centurylink Prism.

Currently due to where I live, I'm kinda stuck with only one HD show at a time, and it is driving me nuts. Combined with a less than reliable DSL 10Mb line, and my distance from the CO, I'm once again debating if I should go back to time warner cable.

I hate their DVRs, much more than DirecTV or Prism's. My wife made a comment about TiVo and I started scheming. (she still points to the TV and says 'where's the 'boo-dip boo-dip boo-dip' if the remote has fallen under the couch)

I can't tell from TiVo's website if TWC and cable cards work, I did some searches and I find more 'this isn't working' or 'channels are missing'. Is there a database anywhere that someone says 'In Raleigh NC, with cable cards, everything works'?

I'd hate to have everything installed, buy new TIVos and then find yeah, dno't work. I tried cable card with just a TV and I was ejecting and inserting that stupid thing hundreds of times before I gave it back and gave up.

The last TiVo I owned was two of the 2nd generation ones. Wireless Ethernet support was just appearing so they no longer had to do phone calls to download guides and what not. They were SD of course.

What I'd like to do, is go with TWC and their cable HD service, and buy the XL4 and load up it doing the main recording, while streaming to the iPad or another TV in the house. If I understand it, what I need is an XL4 for my 'main' tivo and then a smaller one for the second TV. Am I reading that right?

The stream lets me watch it on my multitude of iOS devices.

Does that mean (if it works) I need 3 Cable cards from TWC?
Trekkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:56 PM   #2
DaveDFW

In general, Tivos should work in any arbitrary TWC market. The level of frustration you must endure to get everything configured will vary depending on how friendly your market is to cablecard devices.

Here in the Dallas area, TWC is just a couple of steps away from totally painless, but not everyone is so lucky.

The XL4 only needs one cablecard to support four tuners. You'll probably need a tuning adapter also.

For your second TV, you can use anything in the Premiere line and be able to stream any recording, copy-protected or not. If you want full tuner and recording functionality at the secondary location with a Tivo DVR, you'll need another cablecard and tuning adapter.

There is an upcoming Mini product which might suit your needs at the secondary location, but it has not been released yet and pricing is mostly speculation at this point.

To stream to an Apple device, you'll probably want the Stream. It doesn't require a service fee or a cablecard, but does need an internet connection to enable the streaming.

Last edited by DaveDFW : 01-10-2013 at 02:06 PM.
DaveDFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:01 PM   #3
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekkie View Post
Hello.

Hello. Additionally, there is a TWC and cable card thread where you may get more information.
JoeKustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:34 PM   #4
Tony Chick

TWC also has an iPad/iPhone app that lets you watch most channels live, streaming direct from their servers, not local channels though. You can also use your TWC account to access HBO Go if you are an HBO subscriber
Tony Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:20 AM   #5
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekkie View Post
Hello.

Thus began my DVR dark ages. I sold the two TiVo's I had at the time, and I went to DirecTV and their HD DVR. That lasted until about a year ago, and I went to Centurylink Prism.

Currently due to where I live, I'm kinda stuck with only one HD show at a time, and it is driving me nuts. Combined with a less than reliable DSL 10Mb line, and my distance from the CO, I'm once again debating if I should go back to time warner cable.

I hate their DVRs, much more than DirecTV or Prism's. My wife made a comment about TiVo and I started scheming. (she still points to the TV and says 'where's the 'boo-dip boo-dip boo-dip' if the remote has fallen under the couch)

I can't tell from TiVo's website if TWC and cable cards work, I did some searches and I find more 'this isn't working' or 'channels are missing'. Is there a database anywhere that someone says 'In Raleigh NC, with cable cards, everything works'?

I'd hate to have everything installed, buy new TIVos and then find yeah, dno't work. I tried cable card with just a TV and I was ejecting and inserting that stupid thing hundreds of times before I gave it back and gave up.

The last TiVo I owned was two of the 2nd generation ones. Wireless Ethernet support was just appearing so they no longer had to do phone calls to download guides and what not. They were SD of course.

What I'd like to do, is go with TWC and their cable HD service, and buy the XL4 and load up it doing the main recording, while streaming to the iPad or another TV in the house. If I understand it, what I need is an XL4 for my 'main' tivo and then a smaller one for the second TV. Am I reading that right?

The stream lets me watch it on my multitude of iOS devices.

Does that mean (if it works) I need 3 Cable cards from TWC?
Even with cable cards, to get some channels from TWC (the Switched Digital Video ones where you have to tell their computer to put the channel on the cable because you want to watch it now) you also have to have a Tuning Adapter plugged into one of the TiVo's USB ports so that it can tell the TA to tell TWC's computer to put the channel on the cable. Ain't digital grand?

There's a thread around here about what a pain in the posterior TAs are, something about guide data running out in 2010 or 2011.

There are several Research Triangle area TiVo owning TWC victims who are members here. I just recently hooked up one in Durham with a guy in Raleigh who fixed his S3 power supply.

The original TiVo S3, the TCD648250, needs one cable card for each of it's two tuners, but they can be either S type or M type.

The newer than that S3s, the HD and HD XL, and the 2 tuner S4s only need one M card for both tuners.

Not sure about the 4 tuner models, but I think they only need one M card as well.

TiVo has a couple of new products, the Stream and the Mini, that you should read up on.

The Stream already has its own forum here.
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote