TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-08-2013, 01:51 PM   #181
weaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubVBenz View Post
Can you explain? Is the backbone in Alexandria a different network that is subcontracted to Comcast here or something ? I'm not familiar at all with the differences..
Scientific Atlanta is an equipment supplier (now owned by Cisco), TiVo doesn't have OnDemand for any areas using Scientific Atlanta equipment.
weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:26 PM   #182
Topmounter

Should I be seeing poster art?
Topmounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:22 PM   #183
tetu81

12 days after first contacting TiVo and Comcast, I'm happy to report that I finally watched an Xfinity on Demand offering on my TiVo Premier XL4 in Washington, DC 20005. I expect a follow up call from my contact at Comcast. I'll ask him the best way to help others experiencing CL-17.
tetu81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:43 PM   #184
lynnalexandra

Tetu81 - thank you. So glad to hear somebody in DC has the on demand working. If you do hear back from Comcast, I wonder if they'd tell you what codes have to be added?

(I've been working on this since Dec. 15)

Thank you.
Lynn.
lynnalexandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:06 PM   #185
lynnalexandra

Marcella Hicks - of the DC office of Cable - just called me. She said she will make sure this gets taken care of (and that comcast should not be rolling out services, as they often do, without training their staff about it). She's going to contact a technical engineer at Comcast. She sounded assured that this would get taken care of. If and when it does, I'll post back here.

Lynn.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:49 PM   #186
DCABuckeye

After three weeks Tivo Premiere Comcast VOD is now working!!! Absolutely flawless now that it's working. Was it worth all this aggrivation? In the long run, yes. But lord Comcast, why can't you all talk to each other?!!!
DCABuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:39 PM   #187
BORIF

has word of Comcast Scientific Atlanta boxes getting VOD ever been mentioned? Seems like a huge part of the market is on the outside looking in :-(
BORIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:45 PM   #188
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORIF View Post
has word of Comcast Scientific Atlanta boxes getting VOD ever been mentioned? Seems like a huge part of the market is on the outside looking in :-(
Its been mentioned by @tivodesign on twitter. I took her response as "its being worked but no timeline at this time".
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:36 AM   #189
slrdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCABuckeye View Post
After three weeks Tivo Premiere Comcast VOD is now working!!! Absolutely flawless now that it's working. Was it worth all this aggrivation? In the long run, yes. But lord Comcast, why can't you all talk to each other?!!!
It started working for me too now. Yay!
slrdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:14 AM   #190
b_scott
TiVo Fan

no Chicago still.
b_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:54 PM   #191
robertne

Nope we continue to be the redheaded step child of comcast. I wish we could get a real provider in here other than crapcast and u-suck. Short of going to satellite, cable options in the burbs are horrible! It would totally rock if we could get Google or Verizon in here.
robertne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:59 PM   #192
lynnalexandra

Follow Up from DC:

Marcella Hicks of the DC govt office of cable, was helpful. She found a supervisor (new on the job and clueless - but at least connected and could make things happen). This supervisor first called me, left a message and left the wrong phone number to return the call. I called Marcella Hicks again. She got this comcast supervisor to call again. This time he left the correct phone number - but his voice mail wasn't set up - on either his cell phone or desk phone. But - Marcella was on him - and he called again until he reached me Thursday at 5. He is off Friday and Saturday - but he escalated this - and got an appointment set up for Friday at 4:30 (the earliest I could get home).

When the very knowledgeable technician showed up (pulled from the Commercial division), we looked at the tv - and Voila! On demand was working. Nobody has been able to say what happened - bc. it was not this supervisor of technician who got it working. But I guess Comcast is working on it somewhere.

For anybody struggling with Comcast in DC (not the region, but DC proper) - save yourselves a lot of aggravation and just call Marcella Hicks (202) 671-0065. She will get things taken care of - but Maryland and Virginia are outside her jurisdiction.

I wonder if they've fixed the on demand for all DC customers. I think they're doing this case by case - or chunk by chunk. Doesn't seem to be a full scale solution. There's no documentation any of the supervisors or techs can find and refer to when they encounter this. Nobody there knows what's going on. So I consider it a miracle that someone, somehow got the right codes entered and on demand is working.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:37 AM   #193
Doit2it

Upgraded to the XL4 at Christmas. I'm in Nashville, TN on Xfinity with Mcard.

How do you know you have OnDemand in your market?

Do you get a Tivo message when OnDemand is available in your market?

How do you access OnDemand via Tivo? Tune to channel 001 or OnDemand Tivo menus?

Thanks.

Update: Nevermind, I just answered my own questions and signed up for the email notification on the Tivo website.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tivo XL4 w/LT :: TiVo HD w/LT & 2TB :: LG 47" & 42" HDTVs
Tivo HD w/LT - Mom :: Series 2 80 - Boxed :: Series 2 40 - Boxed

Last edited by Doit2it : 01-13-2013 at 10:51 AM.
Doit2it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:48 AM   #194
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

http://www3.tivo.com/products/tivo-w...ast/index.html

The rollout is as slow as molasses and you have no idea when it will come to anywhere, which is not surprising considering the two companies involved.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:00 AM   #195
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
The rollout is as slow as molasses and you have no idea when it will come to anywhere, which is not surprising considering the two companies involved.
The rollout was slow originally (only 2 markets for about 5 months), but the rollout sped up dramatically, with all the remaining markets appearing over the course of a month.

I think they are "done" for now since they haven't updated it for a while now.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:05 AM   #196
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

No, they are still rolling out new cities as recently as last month. They are nowhere near done.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:14 PM   #197
Doit2it

So why is the rollout so slow. Does Tivo contact the local markets when they feel they have enough Tivos connected in that market. Or is it the local Xfinity that gets the ball rolling by contacting Tivo?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tivo XL4 w/LT :: TiVo HD w/LT & 2TB :: LG 47" & 42" HDTVs
Tivo HD w/LT - Mom :: Series 2 80 - Boxed :: Series 2 40 - Boxed
Doit2it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:32 AM   #198
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Supposedly it's all up to Comcast right now, Tivo is not part of it.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:09 AM   #199
drebbe
Carbon Blob

Michigan added.
drebbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:37 PM   #200
robertne

No Chicago!!!! Very frustrating!
Old 01-17-2013, 01:20 AM   #201
WVZR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertne View Post
No Chicago!!!! Very frustrating!
You're way to close "to the edge" - you might want to take a few steps back!
WVZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:50 AM   #202
buscuitboy

Wink

No Atlanta area either. I was hoping for this for my Tivo Premieres, but based on reading here about all the issues in getting this to fully work properly, I'm no longer anticipating it or worried about getting it. If it comes, great. If not, no biggie either.

I say this cause in the several months that have passed since its been rolled out to more cities (but not in Atlanta), I have learned how to easily obtain just about ANY worthy OnDemand material (TV and movies) via other methods and then use pyTivo to transfer it to my Premieres. Works great and I suspect 10 times better than the Xfinity for TiVo service.
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:34 PM   #203
UConnHuskyTx

Still shut out in Houston as well.
UConnHuskyTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:09 PM   #204
robertne

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR1 View Post
You're way to close "to the edge" - you might want to take a few steps back!
No, I think i will jump! LOL
Old 01-17-2013, 06:03 PM   #205
Tanquen

Can someone post a basic rundown of how the TiVo on demand works?

I have two TiVo HDs and they work ok but TiVo keeps sending me offers to upgrade to a Premiere 500GB for $499 and the only reason I can think of is to get the on demand. I did see something about an on demand show being available for 48 hours or something like that. So I know you need to have a tuner free to use it but is the show indeed stored on the TiVo for a time? Once it's on one TiVo, can other TiVos see it on the network? Can you fast forward?

Right now when one of the TiVos misses a show (dear god I wish it would tell you when a season pass has a new conflict and is not going to be recorded) I go to the xfinity online on demand or the broadcasters site to see the missed show. This sucks for a number of reasons. The quality is normally really bad and you are often forced to watch a single commercial over and over again, other times it just won’t play the show.
Tanquen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:07 PM   #206
jrtroo
User

You are confused between streaming, downloading, and ComCast on demand. On demand is not downloaded, it is more similar to the user to streaming, though it uses one of the tivo tuners instead of the internet. Amazon allows downloading through a rental or a purchase. Rentals expire after they are started, normally 24 hours after it is initially viewed.

Also, the "to do" list does show conflicts (as does the new season pass manager). You may want to review how your season passes are prioritized. Network shows/one time showings at the top, repeating programs afterwards.

Last edited by jrtroo : 01-18-2013 at 12:36 PM.
jrtroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:15 PM   #207
Tanquen

I know what streaming and downloading are. You can’t have streaming without some downloading.

Some had also described it as tuning to a channel and you’re just telling Comcast what to show on that channel. I thought maybe you would be able to then record it.

So, that means no fast forwarding and multiple/lots commercials. Can you rewind if you missed something? If you do, do you have to watch the commercials again?

I guess I don’t have the new season pass manager. How is that info shown in the manager? Checking the “to do” every day on multiple TiVos to see if something is not going to be recorded (tons of stuff will not be) and why is not really an option. The prioritizing could lessen the loss but would take forever and you’re still left with shows that are randomly not going to be recorded. I do put the stuff I don’t care too much about at the bottom and that is a pain too. Every time you add a new show and there are no conflicts they are added at the bottom. Then you have to remember to go in and move the troublemaking passes to the bottom again and it’s not a fast process. You add a show to the season pass because you want to watch it not to get your gambling fix. If you are only recording 5 or 6 shows on a few channels this is not big deal but if you have two or three TiVos and hundreds of random season passes it’s a nightmare. I’ve had a TiVo since the year it came out and this has always been a problem. I couple times a year it just stops recording a show and you don’t notice for a few weeks and your just wondering what happened to that one show. It would be easy for them to add an optional popup that would show you when new conflicts to exciting season passes occur. They could just keep a table of the season passes and show a total number of conflicts when the number increases give you a popup to check out the season pass manager. If that is too much for them then just set a flag for each season pass. It starts out reset and when the show is not going to be recorded because of a conflict it gets set. You get a popup and you have to reset it. If it’s a show you don’t care about or this happens all the time, don’t reset it. If it’s a show you want, reset the flag and move the season passes around.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:26 PM   #208
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanquen View Post
Some had also described it as tuning to a channel and you're just telling Comcast what to show on that channel. I thought maybe you would be able to then record it.

So, that means no fast forwarding and multiple/lots commercials. Can you rewind if you missed something? If you do, do you have to watch the commercials again?
You can fast forward and rewind most programs with On Demand, though some providers specifically block fast forwarding, namely FOX and NBC. No provider blocks rewind.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:59 PM   #209
Tanquen

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
You can fast forward and rewind most programs with On Demand, though some providers specifically block fast forwarding, namely FOX and NBC. No provider blocks rewind.
Thanks for the info. How do the commercials come into play? Same as a normal broadcast or are they the same one over and over and are you forced to watch them? Do you have to watch them again if you rewind or pause and so on?
Old 01-19-2013, 12:36 AM   #210
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanquen View Post

Thanks for the info. How do the commercials come into play? Same as a normal broadcast or are they the same one over and over and are you forced to watch them? Do you have to watch them again if you rewind or pause and so on?
For broadcast shows, it's usually exactly what aired, including commercials. Cable channels vary with some throwing in self-promos. Lately I've been watching HBO On Demand which had no commercials and allows FF.