TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-07-2013, 11:56 PM   #1
Laney327

TivoHD locking up on HD Channels

I am in the military overseas trying to help my parents out with their Tivo. I saw a post very similar to the issue they are having but it wasn't answered.

The issues is in the last month, the Tivo seems to lock up and eventually reboot when they view or record HD channels. Non-HD channels have no problems at all. By "lock up" I mean the picture sometimes freezes, the remote becomes non-responsive, and sometimes they just have a black screen. When the remote does respond, sometimes the menus take an extremely long time to populate, or to transition from one to another.

When recording, the Tivo records the HD show in a series of "partials" with significant gaps between them. Sometimes it reboots as they watch - again while either they are watching an HD channel or Tivo is recording one while we watch something else.

The internal hard drive has been upgraded to 1TB but is not making any noises (screeching or popping).

Time Warner Cable was in the house a couple of weeks ago and changed out the CableCard so that isn't the issue.

The problems I can see that it might be are:

Bad hard drive - although it seems strange that SD channels will record and play just fine

Signal Strength - although the TivoHD was working fine for 4 years until recently and all on the same cable feed

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Laney327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:59 PM   #2
Arcady
Stargate Fan

It sounds like a signal strength issue to me.
Slingbox M1

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:24 AM   #3
Laney327

Also

I should have mentioned that they have Time Warner Cable and have one of the external boxes in order to get the switching channels.

Does anyone know of a solution that might work? Thanks.
Laney327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:15 AM   #4
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Tune to one of the channels that is cutting out and look at the signal strength for it. Go into settings and look under channels. There's a signal strength meter in there. You want at least high 80's on that. If it's lower, then TWC needs to fix their cable. If it's in the high 80's or above, something else is wrong. (It's also possible to have too much signal, which can overdrive the tuner. Then you need to get TWC to attenuate the signal.)
Slingbox M1

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:05 AM   #5
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Don't rule out hard drive problems. Recording and playing back HD channels requires a higher read/write rate because of the much higher bit rates of HD channels. Unfortunately, the only true test to detect HDD problems is to remove the drive, connect to a PC, and run the WD Extended Diagnostic test.

There is a test, Kickstart 54, that runs on the TiVo and will detect some HDD problems. Instructions are here:
http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-kickstart-codes.php
Again the most extensive test should be chosen.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:27 PM   #6
poppagene
User

If they haven't done so already, they can try setting the output display for the tivo to a fixed resolution like 720p or 1020i. It won't help with the partial recordings, but it may help with the slow response to the remote.
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:15 AM   #7
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laney327 View Post
I should have mentioned that they have Time Warner Cable and have one of the external boxes in order to get the switching channels.

Does anyone know of a solution that might work? Thanks.
If they have TWC they have my sympathies.

If they're using a TA that connects to the TiVo via USB to get SDV channels, you may want to go read the thread about people having to put those things on lamp timers.

Where are your folks located, geography wise?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote