TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-06-2013, 09:07 AM   #1
donramsey

"Switching tuner" problem?

I know tivo instructions say, "pause a tuner" before switching tuners. Here's what I think is a problem. If I switch tuners without pausing and immediately return to the first tuner it has jumped ahead to live TV. I'm convinced the old software remained at the last playing spot (actually moved ahead the amount of time I was on second tuner). Is this the programed action or is this a change? If a change, it is a very bad one.

A second problem is watching a program with a delay (say 15mins) and without warning the program ends and jumps to a record scheduled programs if both tuners are required to record the schedule. Again, I thought the old software would allow you to finish watching whatever time was left on the program before it reached the scheduled recording time. E.g. if you had 15 mins of delay playback left, you could watch that even thought 2 programs were being recorded. There was at least a question about the upcoming recording.
donramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:07 PM   #2
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by donramsey View Post
I know tivo instructions say, "pause a tuner" before switching tuners. Here's what I think is a problem. If I switch tuners without pausing and immediately return to the first tuner it has jumped ahead to live TV. I'm convinced the old software remained at the last playing spot (actually moved ahead the amount of time I was on second tuner). Is this the programed action or is this a change? If a change, it is a very bad one...
You're remembering wrong. I've had the original S3, the TiVo HD and now the Premiere XL4, and they all will go to live TV if you don't pause, switch tuners, then return...
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:18 PM   #3
ardent37

Thumbs down This is why I bought Apple TV not TiVo Stream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
You're remembering wrong. I've had the original S3, the TiVo HD and now the Premiere XL4, and they all will go to live TV if you don't pause, switch tuners, then return...
No, you are the one remembering wrong, the original poster is correct. If I could afford to do it, I'd throw the TiVo's in the garbage and burn them.
I really miss the old software that while it had annoying eccentricities, at least I knew what they were, now it's like I'm a brand new TiVo owner, and I have no fracking clue what the h@ll the damn thing is going to do. It's like a rabid dog: CuJo is the new TiVo

However, I purchased an Apple TV to calm my nerves and that made me very happy.
ardent37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:55 PM   #4
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardent37 View Post
No, you are the one remembering wrong, the original poster is correct....
No he is NOT correct. Any time you're watching a live broadcast (but delayed because you previously paused it), then switch tuners (while it is NOT paused), then switch back to that original channel, it will be live (not delayed anymore). I am 100% positive this is the case and has been with the S3 and S4 TiVos...

What he is describing is what happens when you switch between watching recorded programs...if you jump from a recorded program to live TV (or another recorded program) the TiVo does remember where you were and resumes from there when you return to the recorded program. That does NOT occur with live programs...

Last edited by Bierboy : 01-06-2013 at 07:00 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:56 PM   #5
evanborkow

Quote:
No he is NOT correct. Any time you're watching a live broadcast (but delayed because you previously paused it), then switch tuners (while it is NOT paused), then switch back to that original channel, it will be live (not delayed anymore). I am 100% positive this is the case and has been with the S3 and S4 TiVos...

What he is describing is what happens when you switch between watching recorded programs...if you jump from a recorded program to live TV (or another recorded program) the TiVo does remember where you were and resumes from there when you return to the recorded program. That does NOT occur with live programs...
What he said.
evanborkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:50 PM   #6
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
No, you are the one remembering wrong, the original poster is correct. If I could afford to do it, I'd throw the TiVo's in the garbage and burn them.
I really miss the old software that while it had annoying eccentricities, at least I knew what they were, now it's like I'm a brand new TiVo owner, and I have no fracking clue what the h@ll the damn thing is going to do. It's like a rabid dog: CuJo is the new TiVo

However, I purchased an Apple TV to calm my nerves and that made me very happy.
Glad you're happy, now stop ranting on our forum.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:42 PM   #7
mattack

original poster is wrong.. Pause before changing tuners.. and to be REALLY safe, hit record instead. (I honestly don't know exactly what it does when I change channels on my Premiere 4.. I thought typing in a new channel would change channels on the CURRENT tuner _UNLESS IT WAS RECORDING_.. But it seemed to do something different when I was playing with it for a very brief bit of time on vacation… I didn't play with it long enough to figure out exactly what it was doing. Mostly I just want to keep CNN in the buffer.. but as I said, hit record if you don't want to miss anything.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:04 PM   #8
ardent37

Reading is fundamental

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillevig View Post
Glad you're happy, now stop ranting on our forum.
AppleTV made me happy...

TiVo makes me very unhappy as the device is a FAILURE, the only functions that it succeeds at I could do with a DVD/VHS recorder. I want to be able to pause live TV for as long as the buffer lasts and staying where I paused and at the end when the buffer is full. Please tell me why that is so impossible to get?
Old 01-09-2013, 09:15 PM   #9
ardent37

Doubting me, doubting you

Quote:

You ignored the 2nd problem he mentioned which is the one that really bothers me. I could make a youtube or other video to show those of you who can't believe without seeing... but I'll probably be accused of faking it...

Besides my time is better spent rewriting my TiVo rulebook and reprogramming to counter TiVo's 'upgrade'

On the AppleTV forum people actually help rather than whatever this is...
Old 01-09-2013, 10:45 PM   #10
mattack

Quote:
AppleTV made me happy...

TiVo makes me very unhappy as the device is a FAILURE, the only functions that it succeeds at I could do with a DVD/VHS recorder. I want to be able to pause live TV for as long as the buffer lasts and staying where I paused and at the end when the buffer is full. Please tell me why that is so impossible to get?
Uhh, you can't pause live TV with a VHS recorder AT ALL.. and with a DVD recorder, sure, technically you could for 6 hours, but at least on a DVD-R, you can't "pause live TV" as in watch behind real time while still recording.. (You can with DVD-RAM.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:58 PM   #11
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
You ignored the 2nd problem...
Yeah, and you're ignoring the fact that you are wrong about the first one...