TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-05-2013, 01:32 PM   #1
rbrown3rd
Dedicated DTivo'er

Weird problem with old gear

As you can see from my signature I have a VERY old DirecTivo as my main DVR in my living room. I have a newer one in the guest bedroom. Regardless of the reasons for this setup my DSR6000 has become very stubborn about recording new shows. In addition, shows that we used to record regularly have stopped recording.

I've checked, but will be happy to check and report again, my signal strength and tuners. I think I might be at a point...stop laughing...to upgrade my gear. In fact, I called DTV on Thursday thinking that they might sweeten the deal for me to upgrade to HD but no dice. Maybe there is a secret code I have to give them or something. Just kidding.

Why would my DVR stop recording shows and what is the secret to getting a good deal on an upgrade? I held out for years waiting for Tivo and DTV to get back together again for the new DirectTivo but it may not have been worth the wait right?
2 DirecTV receivers (1 in RV)
rbrown3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:08 PM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrown3rd View Post
As you can see from my signature I have a VERY old DirecTivo as my main DVR in my living room. I have a newer one in the guest bedroom. Regardless of the reasons for this setup my DSR6000 has become very stubborn about recording new shows. In addition, shows that we used to record regularly have stopped recording.

I've checked, but will be happy to check and report again, my signal strength and tuners. I think I might be at a point...stop laughing...to upgrade my gear. In fact, I called DTV on Thursday thinking that they might sweeten the deal for me to upgrade to HD but no dice. Maybe there is a secret code I have to give them or something. Just kidding.

Why would my DVR stop recording shows and what is the secret to getting a good deal on an upgrade? I held out for years waiting for Tivo and DTV to get back together again for the new DirectTivo but it may not have been worth the wait right?

I don't really know anything about satellite gear, but my theory is that it doesn't record new shows because it has gotten old and doesn't like new stuff and yells at clouds and kids on the lawn.

Just like me.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:43 PM   #3
rbrown3rd
Dedicated DTivo'er

That is really funny. Maybe I should have posted as "What is the best DVR and how do I get the best deal on it."
Old 01-06-2013, 02:53 PM   #4
unitron

Perhaps you should start another thread that points to this one, but has "satellite" or "DirecTiVo" prominent in the title to attract the attention of the people around here who know how many beans make 5 when it comes to satellite stuff.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:03 PM   #5
rbrown3rd
Dedicated DTivo'er

Thanks. Good advice.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:18 PM   #6
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrown3rd View Post
"stopped recording" is SO VAGUE.

What does Recording History say? Have you checked the To Do list beforehand, and are the shows listed? Have you checked when the show was supposed to be recording?

Basically, you could have a bad hard drive, you could have a bad tuner, there could be bad guide data (saying it was a rerun when it wasn't), etc.. there is nowhere NEAR enough info to start figuring out why your Tivo isn't recording.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:46 PM   #7
rbrown3rd
Dedicated DTivo'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
"stopped recording" is SO VAGUE.

What does Recording History say? Have you checked the To Do list beforehand, and are the shows listed? Have you checked when the show was supposed to be recording?
Have not checked recording history.
To do list checked OK
The show time was correct

Possible cause over 30 season passes in season pass manager?
I've reduced the number to 20.
Keep asking questions and I'll find answers. Thanks.

Quote:
Basically, you could have a bad hard drive, you could have a bad tuner, there could be bad guide data (saying it was a rerun when it wasn't), etc.. there is nowhere NEAR enough info to start figuring out why your Tivo isn't recording.