TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-02-2013, 09:23 PM   #121
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

S2E20 Go fish.

Not my favorite, but "walk me home" cracked me up.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:30 AM   #122
Zevida
witless and unarmed

S02E03 School Hard - A
S02E04 Inca Mummy Girl - B
S02E05 Reptile Boy - D

Spike! Dru! Oz! Jonathon!

Spike is awesome. That's enough to give School Hard an A. A terrific intro to the character all around. Toasting the anointed was classic. And Dru and her dolls - forgot about that!

Inca Mummy Girl gets credit for introducing Oz and being a slightly above average monster of the week episode.

Reptile Boy had a terrible monster, terrible frat boys, was second episode in a row with no Spike, and the third (of five!) episodes so far this season with a shrieking Cordelia-in-trouble. I really should give it a D. It might get downgraded based on the rest of the season.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- billypritchard

Last edited by Zevida : 01-28-2013 at 11:55 PM. Reason: changed Reptile Boy from C to D
Zevida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:18 AM   #123
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

I had forgotten how often Jonathan shows up. Now it's like playing where's Waldo... He's been showing up for ages!
Old 01-03-2013, 08:36 AM   #124
jehma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
I had forgotten how often Jonathan shows up. Now it's like playing where's Waldo... He's been showing up for ages!
I thought the same thing when we started our rewatch last summer. He keeps popping up and I didn't notice him the first time until his first major episode.

Spoiler:

I mean the one with him and the gun in the bell tower

Last edited by jehma : 01-03-2013 at 08:51 AM.
jehma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:36 AM   #125
jehma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevida View Post
Spike is awesome. That's enough to give School Hard an A. A terrific intro to the character all around. Toasting the anointed was classic. And Dru and her dolls - forgot about that!
Yay, Spike! He's my favorite
Old 01-03-2013, 08:40 AM   #126
stahta01
Simple Member

Quote:
I could not remember who was Jonathan; wiki to the rescue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Levinson

Tim S.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:36 PM   #127
smak
TV MA SLV

I'm dong a re-watch now for the 3rd or 4th time, and this time I'm going to watch Buffy & Angel in the correct episode order. First time I'm watching Angel.

-smak-
smak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:03 PM   #128
stahta01
Simple Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smak View Post
I'm dong a re-watch now for the 3rd or 4th time, and this time I'm going to watch Buffy & Angel in the correct episode order. First time I'm watching Angel.

-smak-
Is this a site with the correct order for both?

Tim S.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:35 PM   #129
Zevida
witless and unarmed

I have a spoiler question for Angel. I mostly know what happened on Angel but I couldn't remember if this happened. I tried reading Angel's background on wikipedia, but was getting too many specific spoilers that might ruin a rewatch since I never watched it regularly.

Spoiler:
Were Angel and Cordy ever a couple? I'm laughing now as Cordy throws herself all over Angel early in Buffy season 2, but then that reminded me I might have been annoyed because they eventually fell in love in Angel and that pissed me off. I'm a total Buffy and Angel "shipper" (before that was a thing). No matter how different Cordy was I wasn't willing to accept Angel would pick her. I know she had a thing with Conner based on my Wiki skimming, but can't remember what happened with Angel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- billypritchard
Old 01-03-2013, 06:36 PM   #130
Zevida
witless and unarmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by smak View Post

-smak-
That's my plan too. I've probably seen about 50% of Angel, maybe less.

- billypritchard
Old 01-03-2013, 06:48 PM   #131
stahta01
Simple Member

Quote:
I have a spoiler question for Angel. I mostly know what happened on Angel but I couldn't remember if this happened. I tried reading Angel's background on wikipedia, but was getting too many specific spoilers that might ruin a rewatch since I never watched it regularly.

Spoiler:
Were Angel and Cordy ever a couple? I'm laughing now as Cordy throws herself all over Angel early in Buffy season 2, but then that reminded me I might have been annoyed because they eventually fell in love in Angel and that pissed me off. I'm a total Buffy and Angel "shipper" (before that was a thing). No matter how different Cordy was I wasn't willing to accept Angel would pick her. I know she had a thing with Conner based on my Wiki skimming, but can't remember what happened with Angel.
Partial answer to Spoiler below:

Spoiler:

IIRC, there was a few times it looked like Cordy and Angel might become a couple; but, I never saw any that happen in the early seasons of Angel I stopped watching Angel sometime in Season four.

IIRC, Cordy did hook up with two guys; both were major plot twists.

I only recall a single time Angel hooked up with someone other than Buffy; but that might be because that one sticks in my mind because it also was lead up to major plot twist.

Note: I have memory issues; so, I could have forgotten something.

Last edited by stahta01 : 01-03-2013 at 06:56 PM.
stahta01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:05 PM   #132
Zevida
witless and unarmed

Thanks for the Angel spoiler info!

S02E06 Halloween - C
S02E07 Lie to Me - B

Ethan! Halloween was a pretty good concept, turning into your costume. Willow walking through the wall causing Giles to toss the card catalog into the air was a LOL moment. But Buffy in that atrocious wig and as the timid southern Belle was really bad.

Lie to Me introduced the concept of bad guys who aren't obvious and can be sympathetic. I really enjoyed the poignant moment at the end between Buffy and Giles at the grave. Solid episode.

- billypritchard
Old 01-04-2013, 08:25 AM   #133
jehma

Quote:

Spoiler:
Spoiler:

They came very close. They did have feelings for each other, but it never quite worked out. Any more than that would be a big spoiler.

I was trying to find a link to remember the details of their relationship and this one made me laugh. Note: BIG ANGEL SERIES SPOILERS. It's basically Angel and Cordy's relationship explained in one long (long) run-on sentence.

http://www.freewebs.com/cordyandangel/
Old 01-04-2013, 03:25 PM   #134
SleepyBob

I've never watched Buffy before and just checked out the first two DVDs from the library. How many episodes do I need to hang in for to make sure I give it a fair shake? Will I know within the first couple episodes? I noticed that AliaDoh said that season 1 was her least favorite.
SleepyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:48 PM   #135
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
In the first or second episode, when the principal catches her by the school gate as she is about to cut, she does a backwards jump over the gate. The scene is really hokey, because the gate is like 10' tall, and one moment she's on the near side facing away from it and the next you see her starting a jumping motion and landing on the other side, still facing the same direction, all seemingly without much effort. That's pretty super.
I felt like they toned that stuff down a little over the years, so as to make her not too unbeatable. There are plenty of times that I used to think to myself - "wait, she used to be able to jump over a 10 foot fence. Now she can't even do _______ ?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
I love Buffy's karate and gymnastics. The stunt doubles are always so painfully obvious, more than on most shows. It's part of the charm of the series, to me, though I don't know if it was meant intentionally to be bad; I suspect not.
Yeah, the doubling was pretty bad. But it's just part of the charm.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:53 PM   #136
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird_206 View Post
Next up, S2E6 Halloween.
One of my favorite eps. I loved Xander being competent for once.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:57 PM   #137
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyBob View Post
I've never watched Buffy before and just checked out the first two DVDs from the library. How many episodes do I need to hang in for to make sure I give it a fair shake? Will I know within the first couple episodes? I noticed that AliaDoh said that season 1 was her least favorite.
107 (Angel) is good. 112 (Prophecy Girl) is great.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:59 PM   #138
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
Like I said upthread, S1 isn't very good, but it's worth enduring for how it sets up the characters. There are 3 good eps in the first 12: 1.1, 1.7, and 1.12. The others have their moments, but they're on the whole shaky.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:08 PM   #139
jehma

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirateRob View Post
One of my favorite eps. I loved Xander being competent for once.
I loved Cordy being Cordy
I also really loved Willow's story in this one.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:31 PM   #140
Zevida
witless and unarmed

Quote:
If you don't like the characters at all within the first 3-4 episodes, it's probably not the show for you. You have to look past the bad f/x and goofy story lines. I think season 1 was actually not all that bad, but it might be partly nostalgia. If you are really struggling, skip ahead to S01E12 Prophecy Girl and watch that one.

- billypritchard
Old 01-04-2013, 04:35 PM   #141
Zevida
witless and unarmed

S01E08 The Dark Age - B
S01E09 What's My Line, Part 1 - B

More Ethan! Great episode to flesh out the Giles character and see that again, people are not one dimensional and all good or all bad. Clever Willow saves the day, this plus Halloween and she's really starting to shine. Poor Giles and Ms. Calendar.

Kendra! Willie! Great set-up episode with lots of peril and danger and a great cliffhanger.

(Yes, I did watch two episodes over lunch while I'm working from home today. )

- billypritchard
Old 01-05-2013, 10:01 AM   #142
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

303 faith, hope, and trick

"my youth and beauty aside... "

LOL
Old 01-05-2013, 12:02 PM   #143
SleepyBob

Okay -- off to the library now.
SleepyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:05 PM   #144
Zevida
witless and unarmed

I watched a lot last night. I'll probably get season 2 finished this weekend.

S02E10 What's My Line? Part 2 - A
S02E11 Ted - C
S02E12 Bad Eggs - C
S02E13 Surprise - B
S02E14 Innocence - A

Two slayers, no waiting! Great final showdown with the assassins and Spike, and good moment at the end with Kendra telling Buffy it's not a job. Oh, and lots of shirtless Angel =yum.

Ted got a little too serious and real world for me. Bad Eggs was a better first half than second. The cowboy vamps deserved their own episode.

Surprise was some good set-up but overly angsty.

Innocence is top class from start to finish. Evil Angel is a much more dynamic and interesting character than one-note broody good Angel. The scene when Willow sees Xander kissing Cordy is heartbreaking. When Buffy finds Angel and he's an ass to her is just brutal. Oz and Willow in the van is touching. This is one of the best ever.

- billypritchard

Last edited by Zevida : 01-05-2013 at 02:52 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:51 PM   #145
john4200

Quote:
Evil Angel is a much more dynamic and inserting character than one-note broody good Angel.
Yes, but what does he insert, and where does he insert it?
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:52 PM   #146
Zevida
witless and unarmed

Quote:
Overalls are my biggest ever fashion peeve for anyone over the age of three. *gag*

I know they had a place in the episode, to show her state of mind, but why does she even OWN them?
Buffy and Willow wears overalls a lot in seasons 1 and 2. Willow wore them in Phases. I don't remember people wearing them at the time (I'm the same age as the characters) but maybe I was just oblivious. I don't remember wearing them after elementary school. Now I'm going to watch for the final appearance of overalls.

I did rock the stirrup pants in middle school though.

- billypritchard
Old 01-05-2013, 02:53 PM   #147
Zevida
witless and unarmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
Yes, but what does he insert, and where does he insert it?
Oops! I meant interesting. He does do a lot more inserting of fangs into necks though.

- billypritchard
Old 01-05-2013, 03:57 PM   #148
Eddief66

Quote:
Oops! I meant interesting. He does do a lot more inserting of fangs into necks though.

It was what he inserted and where that turned him evil.
Eddief66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:32 PM   #149
Zevida
witless and unarmed

S02E15 Phases - B
S02E16 Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered - B
S02E17 Passion - A

Phases was solid with some nice character development. Same for BBB.

Passion, I cried. Amazing episode, but heartbreaking. Maybe the best of the season? When Buffy hit Giles, I got really choked up.

- billypritchard
Old 01-05-2013, 10:48 PM   #150
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

Willow wears overalls a lot. IIRC Buffy wears them twice, the second time being the end of Becoming. They're her Depressed Pants.