TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-02-2013, 01:50 PM   #1
roxydmb

Transferring TiVo recordings to iPad

Please help!

I just purchased the upgraded TiVo desktop so that I can transfer TiVo recordings to my iPad (which was the reason that I wanted TiVo in the first place), but have not been able to do so.

I successfully transferred the recordings to my PC and then followed the instructions to convert the files into those suitable for an iPad. I see them in a folder on my computer labeled "Recordings for portables" and they are in the MPEG-4 format. However, I cannot get these files into my iTunes library or onto my iPad. I try dragging and dropping the files into iTunes and nothing happens. I try manually adding the files within iTunes and nothing happens. I don't receive error messages - the recordings simply aren't added into my iTunes library.

I spoke to a TiVo technician via chat, who was unable to help me (she said that the recordings should automatically appear in iTunes once converted). She encouraged me to to contact iTunes, which I did. However, they said that they were unable to help me. I have Googled this extensively, and found nothing helpful. I tried changing the files names of the MPEG-4 files (to eliminate special characters) and that didn't work either.

Please help me! The only reason that I purchased TiVo and spent the extra $24.95 to upgrade TiVo Desktop was so that I could put purchases on my iPad. I am very frustrated and disappointed that I'm having so many problems with this.

Thank you!
roxydmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:03 PM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Tivo Desktop (and Plus) is unreliable.

I would recommend KMTTG which also has features for decoding, encoding to various formats and other features. There is also an iPad encoding profile. Its Free.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:19 AM   #3
roxydmb

Please reply!

Is someone from TiVo going to reply to this, please? 114 views of my question, but haven't received a response from anyone with TiVo. Thank you.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:42 AM   #4
David Platt
Manually-adjusted

TC CLUB MEMBER
This isn't a forum for direct TiVo support, and it's not monitored by people who work at TiVo. This is a forum for people who are fans of TiVo, and you're very likely to get better answers to your questions here than you would from TiVo support, because we're allowed to recommend things that people who work for TiVo aren't. Like the program KMTTG, which ThAbtO recommended.
David Platt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:45 AM   #5
roxydmb

Oh, okay - thanks, David. I thought that it was monitored by support at TiVo. I have also contacted TiVo through several other methods, and they have yet to offer anything helpful. Currently I'm trying to get a refund for upgrading to TiVo Desktop, because I'm beginning to think it's worthless!
Old 01-03-2013, 12:57 PM   #6
dubluv
tivo lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxydmb View Post
Oh, okay - thanks, David. I thought that it was monitored by support at TiVo. I have also contacted TiVo through several other methods, and they have yet to offer anything helpful. Currently I'm trying to get a refund for upgrading to TiVo Desktop, because I'm beginning to think it's worthless!
It is!

Premier 4
Humax DRT400 (250gb) 'Lifetime'
TiVo HD 'Lifetime' (320gb)
TiVo HD, soon to be gifted to my son ;-)
dubluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:05 PM   #7
jrtroo
User

Too bad you did not come here first!

Have you rebooted your machine to see if that resolves your issue. Its not clear if this is a problem with tivo desktop software of a hiccup with itunes.

Have you tried to play these items on the PC?
Old 01-03-2013, 01:18 PM   #8
roxydmb

I've tried 3 ways (this forum, emailing customer support, and chatting with a representative) simultaneously hoping that at least 1 would lead to a resolution. (This is also in addition to contacting iTunes.) Yes, I've rebooted my machine several times and that hasn't helped.

A representative from TiVo told me to uninstall and then reinstall TiVo desktop, but I'm unable to do that (there's no option to uninstall it on my computer - only to "change" or "repair" the program). I initially thought that it was because the software was still running on my computer in the background, but I ended all processes and stopped all auto-transfers and it still wouldn't let me uninstall it.

The PC TiVo files do play, but I haven't tried playing the MPEG-4 files on my computer.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:48 PM   #9
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Platt View Post
This isn't a forum for direct TiVo support, and it's not monitored by people who work at TiVo. This is a forum for people who are fans of TiVo, and you're very likely to get better answers to your questions here than you would from TiVo support, because we're allowed to recommend things that people who work for TiVo aren't. Like the program KMTTG, which ThAbtO recommended.
This is in direct contradiction to this "Global Announcement" on the forum, which still stands AFAIK:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...php?f=35&a=112
A poster purporting to be a TiVo person has been on the forum recently, although I haven't been impressed with the expertise of his posts. I agree that as a practical matter you're more likely to get help on most problems from other posters here.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:02 PM   #10
supasta

A TiVo Stream would more easily accomplish transferring shows from your TiVo to an iPad. It would be an additional investment, however, and would depend on your home networking setup.
TiVo Desktop has not been updated in quite some time. I am surprised that TiVo still offers it, actually.
KMTTG is another option, and free (as mentioned already).

XBOX LIVE: fiftyfootfang
supasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:12 PM   #11
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Have you rebooted your machine to see if that resolves your issue. Its not clear if this is a problem with tivo desktop software of a hiccup with itunes.
I agree. Desktop may be bad but it should be able to do this. Some quirk or permissions problem with iTunes wouldn't surprise me at all.

If you want to at least get some files converted quickly and (relatively) easily, get VideoReDo, TVSuite 4 (google VideoReDo). It will do the whole job. Download and install. Then find the trial registration selection in the menu system and do a free-trial registration. This allows you to use it uncrippled (no 15 min limit) for 15 days. Load your tivo file and perform a QSF (Quick Stream Fix) using the Output Profile for iPad. That should do it.

and
Old 01-04-2013, 03:09 AM   #12
ggieseke

Quote:
A representative from TiVo told me to uninstall and then reinstall TiVo desktop, but I'm unable to do that (there's no option to uninstall it on my computer - only to "change" or "repair" the program). I initially thought that it was because the software was still running on my computer in the background, but I ended all processes and stopped all auto-transfers and it still wouldn't let me uninstall it.
The Change option is how you uninstall it. It gives you the option to Repair, Remove Partial, or Remove All.

Remove Partial gets rid of Desktop but leaves a few files and registry entries behind so that you can still decrypt and play .TiVo files. That much of Desktop is also necessary if you use VideoReDo.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:55 AM   #13
David Platt
Manually-adjusted

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
This is in direct contradiction to this "Global Announcement" on the forum, which still stands AFAIK:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...php?f=35&a=112
A poster purporting to be a TiVo person has been on the forum recently, although I haven't been impressed with the expertise of his posts. I agree that as a practical matter you're more likely to get help on most problems from other posters here.
That announcement is talking about the official TiVo support forums at http://forums.tivo.com/pe/index.jsp, not this forum.

Occasionally a person who actually works for TiVo will post here like the one you're talking about (and I completely agree with your assessment of him), but they're not here to offer tech support in any official capacity.
David Platt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:39 AM   #14
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Platt View Post
That announcement is talking about the official TiVo support forums at http://forums.tivo.com/pe/index.jsp, not this forum. .....
Sorry, I didn't read it carefully enough. It appears the tivo support forums haven't been tried by the original poster, although I have my doubts that it would help.

and
Old 01-04-2013, 03:47 PM   #15
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Sorry, I didn't read it carefully enough. It appears the tivo support forums haven't been tried by the original poster, although I have my doubts that it would help.
Probably not in this case, but not everyone at the "official" forums is a dumbass. The TiVo employees allowed to post there seem to have two responses - paste a standard support doc or ask for your TSN in a PM so they can check the logs.

Option 2 has been more effective than I would have guessed in some cases, so I'm reserving judgement.

I don't have any clue why they have shown up here several times and then disappeared (including their posts). Sh** or get off the pot.

Roxy: Desktop hasn't been updated in quite a while, and they don't seem to even notice that iTunes and much of the surrounding landscape has changed. I still use it for simple tasks even though I also have kmttg and pyTivo. Your mileage may vary, but as several people have pointed out you have other options. Best of luck.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:18 AM   #16
roxydmb

Thanks everyone for your help! I just saved myself the headache (after spending WAY too much time on this) and purchased TiVo stream! So much easier! I do have to say that I was very pleased at how easy it was to get a refund from TiVo for the purchase of Desktop Plus. For the most part, TiVo Stream works great! It does disconnect and stop my downloads fairly often, but I love how easy it is to transfer recordings!
Old 01-19-2013, 10:54 PM   #17
fastoy

I'm just guessing here but I'm a noobie to iDevices and I also had trouble transferring H.264 files through iTunes. Several calls to Apple were no help. Finally I uninstalled iTunes and re-installed it also installing QuickTime at the same time. Fixed it. It seems that iTunes uses QuickTime to determine whether a file is compatible with iDevices. Not having it installed made all files fail that test.

Thanks, Steve.
fastoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:12 PM   #18
ShayL

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastoy View Post
I'm just guessing here but I'm a noobie to iDevices and I also had trouble transferring H.264 files through iTunes. Several calls to Apple were no help. Finally I uninstalled iTunes and re-installed it also installing QuickTime at the same time. Fixed it. It seems that iTunes uses QuickTime to determine whether a file is compatible with iDevices. Not having it installed made all files fail that test.

Thanks, Steve.
Is this on windows?
ShayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:20 PM   #19
CPE

Have you found a solution to this yet?
CPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:21 PM   #20
CPE

Quote:
Please help!

I just purchased the upgraded TiVo desktop so that I can transfer TiVo recordings to my iPad (which was the reason that I wanted TiVo in the first place), but have not been able to do so.

I successfully transferred the recordings to my PC and then followed the instructions to convert the files into those suitable for an iPad. I see them in a folder on my computer labeled "Recordings for portables" and they are in the MPEG-4 format. However, I cannot get these files into my iTunes library or onto my iPad. I try dragging and dropping the files into iTunes and nothing happens. I try manually adding the files within iTunes and nothing happens. I don't receive error messages - the recordings simply aren't added into my iTunes library.

I spoke to a TiVo technician via chat, who was unable to help me (she said that the recordings should automatically appear in iTunes once converted). She encouraged me to to contact iTunes, which I did. However, they said that they were unable to help me. I have Googled this extensively, and found nothing helpful. I tried changing the files names of the MPEG-4 files (to eliminate special characters) and that didn't work either.

Please help me! The only reason that I purchased TiVo and spent the extra $24.95 to upgrade TiVo Desktop was so that I could put purchases on my iPad. I am very frustrated and disappointed that I'm having so many problems with this.

Thank you!
I am having the same issues. Any solution?
Old 05-08-2013, 10:42 AM   #21
CPE

I did find a solution to this. The programs do automatically go to iTunes and they can be transferred to an iPad or iPhone or iPod. The trick is waiting..a very long time. The TiVo server converts the programs if you wait serval hours. I would select programs to transfer, go to bed leave my computer on with TiVo desktop AND iTunes running. The programs transferred by morning. I suppose it might be faster if I had a super fast Internet connection, but I don't.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:56 PM   #22
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

It's not your Internet connection. The actual conversion is the slow part.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote