TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-03-2013, 07:59 PM   #31
DJQuad
Poker Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by compnurd View Post
Motorola is Ok.. it is the older Motorola ones you want to watch out for
How do I know the difference? Based on past experience with all the local reps being generally clueless about what they're saying, I'm quite sure the same holds true with my local office that I'm getting the new card from.

Last edited by DJQuad : 01-03-2013 at 08:30 PM.
DJQuad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:12 AM   #32
chiguy50

Comcast's Continual CableCARD Confusion

There's no excuse for the hassles you've been put through. Whether or not your issue has been resolved at this point, I suggest you send a politely-worded complaint to Comcast customer relations. If my experience is any guide, you should get a pretty quick response from the local corporate rep, who should be able to rectify the situation and/or offer you some form of compensation for your troubles.

Here's the web page for your communication. Just click on the hyperlink "Send an e-mail to Rick Germano" at the bottom of the page and fill out the on-line form. It couldn't hurt; and at the very least Comcast's customer relations department will have more grist for their "is what we're doing worth pissing off dedicated customers" mill.

And let us know how you fare.
chiguy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:55 AM   #33
bluebsh

some regions Comcast now will mail you a cablecard Self install kit, you'd have more luck getting a newer one asking for that since it would come right out of their latest shipments of new stock... the local offices just circulate old cards until they die...

Comcast is required now to provide self install kits, some regions though you have to go pick them up at the office yourself and just give you a recirculated card... some areas Comcast will mail them to you (if asked for via chat on their site or via 1-800-comcast)
bluebsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:11 PM   #34
Sashieden

If you're still having issues make sure you call their cablecard hotline, 877-405-2291. I was helping my parents set up their tivo and called the 800-comcast number and they just went around in circles and said it was good. Yet we couldn't get all their channels in their package until we called the cablecard hotline.
Sashieden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:13 PM   #35
DJQuad
Poker Junkie

The latest update with this friggin saga.

I drove across town and got a new MCard (again), called the Comcast cablecard number (again), they re-paired it (again), I waited an hour for everything to update (again), and I'm still stuck with only 2 tuners (AGAIN!).

I did ask TiVo management for some proof that other Comcast customers in my city have Premiere 4s with 4 tuners so I can prove to the local rep he's mistaken.

I did post a message on https://secure.dslreports.com/forum/comcastdirect (no replies yet) and will contact Rick Germano shortly.

I need a very stiff drink.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:09 PM   #36
lpwcomp

Have you ever verified that all 4 tuners work w/o a CableCARD?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:27 PM   #37
DJQuad
Poker Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Have you ever verified that all 4 tuners work w/o a CableCARD?
I'm not sure how to do that. Previously I did try removing the card and rerunning guided setup. Unless I'm missing something, it wouldn't allow me to get to the screen that scans for clear QAM channels.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:54 PM   #38
WVZR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJQuad View Post
I'm not sure how to do that. Previously I did try removing the card and rerunning guided setup. Unless I'm missing something, it wouldn't allow me to get to the screen that scans for clear QAM channels.
Go to the CC set up and post the serial number of your card. It should be under the Cable Card pairing. Maybe there is actually something in the serial number that might indicate a problem card:

Mine: MA1021FA9326
CABLE CARD ID: 000-040-871-891-4
WVZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:23 PM   #39
lpwcomp

Quote:
A 2-tuner Premiere will let you complete guided setup w/o installing the CableCARD by saying you will install it later. That's so you can do all the setup and be ready when you do get one. You can do a channel scan after gs is complete. Since a TP4 is digital cable only and from TiVo's point of view is useless w/o a CableCARD, maybe they disabled that option. Does it not even allow you to complete guided setup w/o installing the CC?

Old 01-05-2013, 04:36 PM   #40
DJQuad
Poker Junkie

I'll try the last 2 replies shortly. TiVo wants me to do the 3-way conference call again. Hopefully 6th time's the charm.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:07 PM   #41
DJQuad
Poker Junkie

Tried the conference for the 4th time. After an hour of being passed around from dept to dept Comcast managed to disconnect us.

I cannot believe how helpful TiVo support is and at the same time how bad Comcast's support is.

I'll try another conference tomorrow.

Last edited by DJQuad : 01-06-2013 at 09:15 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:29 AM   #42
lessd

Quote:
Tried the conference for the 4th time. After an hour of being passed around from dept to dept Comcast managed to disconnect us.

I cannot believe how helpful TiVo support is and at the same time how bad Comcast's support is.

I'll try another conference tomorrow.
Please take out the cable card, than do a channel scan, you should get all the networks in the clear, try recording 4 clear network channels at the same time, if you can do that it's a cable card problem, if you can't do that it's a TiVo problem, if you PM me I will talk you through this on the phone, as you could wasting a lot of time if your 750 TiVo has a tuner problem itself.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:31 AM   #43
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

I agree - since multiple cards have been tried the next step is to make sure that all 4 tuners are working for clear QAM at least. It doesn't ensure that they'll all work with a card, but at least you know your Tivo is likely not the problem if you can record 4 channels at once.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:54 PM   #44
mattack

WITH the cable card in there, the menus let you test channels on multiple tuners if I remember correctly.. or maybe it's only on each cable card?
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:29 PM   #45
lpwcomp

When you bring up the "Info" display in live TV, how many tuner icons does it show?

Old 01-08-2013, 06:19 PM   #46
DJQuad
Poker Junkie

Quote:
When you bring up the "Info" display in live TV, how many tuner icons does it show?
This lead to solving the issue!!

After looking at the info screen I saw that 2 of the tuners were configured for Multi-room streaming. I'm not sure how this was enabled but after disabling it I was able to record 4 shows at once. I'm very surprised TiVo never suggested this could be the problem after all this time, but I'm glad I finally got it working.

Thanks so much for all of your suggestions and help!
Old 01-08-2013, 06:24 PM   #47
DJQuad
Poker Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
Please take out the cable card, than do a channel scan, you should get all the networks in the clear, try recording 4 clear network channels at the same time, if you can do that it's a cable card problem, if you can't do that it's a TiVo problem, if you PM me I will talk you through this on the phone, as you could wasting a lot of time if your 750 TiVo has a tuner problem itself.
I did the channel scan after removing the card, but after the scan I couldn't find (and therefore view/record) any of the channels it found.

Anyhoo, everything's cool now..
Old 01-08-2013, 06:27 PM   #48
lpwcomp

Quote:
This lead to solving the issue!!

After looking at the info screen I saw that 2 of the tuners were configured for Multi-room streaming. I'm not sure how this was enabled but after disabling it I was able to record 4 shows at once. I'm very surprised TiVo never suggested this could be the problem after all this time, but I'm glad I finally got it working.

Thanks so much for all of your suggestions and help!
Excellent! I hope someone at TiVo is paying attention and adds this to their troubleshooting database.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:29 PM   #49
DJQuad
Poker Junkie

Quote:
Excellent! I hope someone at TiVo is paying attention and adds this to their troubleshooting database.
I'll let them know, as well as Comcast who claimed only 2 tuners are supported in this area.

Thanks again for your help.
Old 01-08-2013, 07:21 PM   #50
DJQuad
Poker Junkie

Here was my Email to James, a local Comcast supervisor who called today. I hope I got this technical info right I also sent this to TiVo.

--
Hey James,

Thanks for the call today. It turns out it was a misconfiguration problem within TiVo itself. 2 of the 4 tuners were being used for Multi-room streaming. From what I understand, if there are multiple TiVos networked, a tuner is actually reserved in order to stream a show on one TiVo to another.

After looking at TiVo's "Info" display in live TV, I saw that 2 of the tuners were configured for Multi-room streaming. I'm not sure how this was enabled but after disabling it I was able to record 4 shows at once. I'm very surprised TiVo never suggested this could be the problem after all this time, but I'm glad I finally got it working.

I'm very surprised that not only did TiVo support never suggest this could be the problem, the local Comcast rep and his "supervisor" claimed again and again that only 2 tuners were supported in this area, which was completely false. I'm glad I didn't just take their word for it. Not only do MCards support more than 2 tuners, they support 8.

You might want to educate your reps a bit more about CableCARDS so they stop giving false information to your customers. The folks at TiVo Community were the ones that solved my issue - not TiVo, and not Comcast. The TiVo Community thread that helped is at http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=498815.

Thanks again for following-up with the phone call.
--
Old 01-08-2013, 07:29 PM   #51
lpwcomp

Quote:
Here was my Email to James, a local Comcast supervisor who called today. I hope I got this technical info right I also sent this to TiVo.
With a name like that, he'll obviously do the right thing.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:03 AM   #52
lpwcomp

BTW, I'm pretty sure that the reason that this never occurred to the TiVo CSRs is that the allocation of tuners to network streaming is there to support the TiVo mini, which hasn't been released yet.

As to the Comcast CSRs insisting that they only supported two tuners, most Cable co. CSRs are morons.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:41 PM   #53
lessd

[quote=lpwcomp;9463979]BTW, I'm pretty sure that the reason that this never occurred to the TiVo CSRs is that the allocation of tuners to network streaming is there to support the TiVo mini, which hasn't been released yet.
QUOTE]

This problem looks like the SAP problem people have with their TV, for no reason some channels don't get sound, one person I know call out the cable co to fix the problem, in this case the cable guy knew to check the TV sound setting, it was set to SAP. His remote has a SAP button on it, bad design for using a remote in a darken room, SAP should not be on the remote as just as button.
This TiVo problem with the possibly of assigning tuners to the Mini may end up causing problems without some screen indication of what going on. But this was a good find, but did cost you a lot of time.