TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-01-2013, 10:36 AM   #1
videobruce
OTA is still alive

Are these still "leased", not owned?

The following was quoted form this review on Amazon;
http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-...R2ZO5E7U9SIHFX
Quote:
As I wrote to Erik, I suppose my biggest beef with TiVo (and other DVR services) is that, ten years ago, I paid $400 for a DirecTV/TiVo DVR and I OWNED the machine. I did not have to return it to TiVo, because it was COMPLETELY MY OWN PROPERTY. Now, one still has to fork over roughly the same amount, but the machines are leased (i.e. NOT owned) by the consumer. And although Erik has assured me that, if the machine is replaced and I fulfilled the 1 year service agreement on it, I can "do whatever (I) want with it", he "would like it back" after it is deactivated.
I was under the impression that wasn't the case anymore.
Are these still "leased"? If you buy a used 'lifetime' unit, how does that play out?
videobruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:50 AM   #2
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
The following was quoted form this review on Amazon;
http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-...R2ZO5E7U9SIHFX
I was under the impression that wasn't the case anymore.
Are these still "leased"? If you buy a used 'lifetime' unit, how does that play out?
If you are talking about equipment from DirectTV then I believe they consider anything new that you get from them directly to be leased.

If you are talking about a TiVo Premiere you buy then it is yours.

If you live someplace where your cable company provides TiVo Premieres then those are also rentals.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:06 AM   #3
videobruce
OTA is still alive

No DirectTV or MSO TiCo's. Regular TiVo's.

I did remember reading a number of years ago in their "Terms", something about this. I also remember reading on-line discussion on the same subject.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:06 PM   #4
lrhorer

Any TiVo purchased off the shelf belongs to you. As already mentioned, DirecTiVos are considered to be leased, as are any TiVo provided by a CATV company. It is illegal to modify or deliberately damage any leased TiVo, but if you buy a TiVo from BestBuy, you are free to walk out the front door and smash it into bits with a sledgehammer in the parking lot, if you want. OTOH, if the TiVo provided by DTV or your CATV company bursts into flames during ordinary use, then they must replace the unit for you at minimal or no cost to you. If the one you bought at BB does the same one day after the warranty expires, then all you have is a heap of soot and slag on your hands. Note Product Lifetime Service is NOT a warranty of any sort.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:36 PM   #5
Arcady
Stargate Fan

The linked review is from a crazy person. If you buy a TiVo at retail, you own it.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:36 AM   #6
HerronScott

Maybe they were referring to the promo 2 years ago (which was not a lease) where you could get a Premiere for "free" (ie no upfront costs) by signing up for a 2-year commitment at a higher rate - $19.99 per month. But again this was not a lease.

Scott

# Sign up for a new 2-year monthly subscription commitment to the TiVo service at $19.99 per month plus tax, and get a TiVo Premiere box for no upfront cost.
# If you cancel the TiVo service before your commitment ends, an early termination fee will apply equal to the full retail value of the TiVo Premiere box equal to $299.99 minus the difference between the service bundle plan’s monthly fee and $12.95 for each month of your subscription that you fulfilled, except as permitted by the 30-Day Money Back Guarantee.
# After your 2-year commitment ends, you will automatically continue to receive the TiVo service at the same rate on a month-to-month basis. Pricing is guaranteed not to increase for the life of the DVR (not the subscriber), as long as the initial subscription remains active. Price guarantee is not transferrable to any other subscriber or DVR.
# Money Back Guarantee applies only to initial activations if canceled within 30 days and the TiVo box is returned for a full refund.
# The TiVo box will not work without a paid subscription to the TiVo service.
# If you cancel within 30 days of activation (which is typically the date your order ships), you will receive a full refund if you return the TiVo Premiere box within 15 days of cancellation. The shipping charge for the return is at your expense. If you do not return the TiVo box or you change your subscription plan within the first 30 days of activation, you will be charged a “Non-returned Equipment Fee” equal to the MSRP of the TiVo Premiere box.
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:50 AM   #7
takeshi

Answer is on the Tivo site. Not sure why so many seem to overlook the manufacturer's site for info on a product.
http://www.tivo.com/assets/popups/qu...-tivo-dvr.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
The linked review is from a crazy person.
As always, consider the source.
takeshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:55 AM   #8
videobruce
OTA is still alive

Thanks for that link, their "Terms" as usual is long, hard to read, and I didn't have my attorney present. I did read it once a couple of years ago, but things do change.

Amazing how facts get twisted around.