TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-29-2012, 04:45 PM   #1
atomarchio

Streambaby running on 2 different WHS boxes over same network

I currently have a WHS (HP LX195) with Tivo Premiere. I would like to install a 2nd WHS box. Would it be possible to use Streambaby for both WHS boxes on the same network?

If so, is there way we could tell from the main screen which streambaby is connected to which WHS?
atomarchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:49 PM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

I believe after you have it installed on another computer and both are running, there would be a second entry on the Tivo.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:15 PM   #3
atomarchio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
I believe after you have it installed on another computer and both are running, there would be a second entry on the Tivo.
For the second entry on the Tivo, is there a way to tell which server it's connected to?

That's the question I have. Can anyone help with this? Please advise.

Thanks.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:22 AM   #4
jcthorne

pyTivo shows up on your tivo as the video share name configured in the conf file. If you give each a different share name, they would show up as different names on the tivo.

Why would you want 2 servers running on the same network? Would seem more logical to have one large server with multiple shares, directories etc.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:55 AM   #5
atomarchio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
pyTivo shows up on your tivo as the video share name configured in the conf file. If you give each a different share name, they would show up as different names on the tivo.

Why would you want 2 servers running on the same network? Would seem more logical to have one large server with multiple shares, directories etc.
It does not show up as the video share name from the main screen under apps. It just says Streambaby. I am wondering if there is a way to change this.

I agree about your point above. However, I would need to get both servers on the network in order to copy all of the files from the LX195 to the new server which I plan on buying. At that point, I was thinking just to leave both servers on the network because the LX195 is likely not worth selling.

The issue I am finding at the moment is that HP no longer sells servers with WHS pre-installed (from what I can tell) and I don't know how to install WHS on a new server without an OS installed yet. I am still trying to find this.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:54 AM   #6
jcthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomarchio View Post
It does not show up as the video share name from the main screen under apps. It just says Streambaby. I am wondering if there is a way to change this.

I agree about your point above. However, I would need to get both servers on the network in order to copy all of the files from the LX195 to the new server which I plan on buying. At that point, I was thinking just to leave both servers on the network because the LX195 is likely not worth selling.

The issue I am finding at the moment is that HP no longer sells servers with WHS pre-installed (from what I can tell) and I don't know how to install WHS on a new server without an OS installed yet. I am still trying to find this.
Sorry, I misread your question. I abandoned streambaby in favor of vidmgr long ago because of the 1gb buffer limits.

There are far more robust OSs available on ready to run servers than WHS. Even for newbies, the Synology product line is pretty easy to learn and well supported. There are many others as well.

Still running multiple servers is a needless use of power, and a WHS based server still more so.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:21 AM   #7
atomarchio

Quote:
Sorry, I misread your question. I abandoned streambaby in favor of vidmgr long ago because of the 1gb buffer limits.

There are far more robust OSs available on ready to run servers than WHS. Even for newbies, the Synology product line is pretty easy to learn and well supported. There are many others as well.

Still running multiple servers is a needless use of power, and a WHS based server still more so.
I am interested in the Synology product. You believe a newbie could install Streambaby on one of their servers? Is there a particular model you would recommend? How can I learn how to install Streambaby on a synology product? I am not familiar with Linux and have been told the installation is quite complicated.

Please let me know. Thanks.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:31 AM   #8
lrhorer

Quote:
I am interested in the Synology product. You believe a newbie could install Streambaby on one of their servers?
So I have been given to understand. I don't have one, but according to jcthorne and others, installing alien software on the Synology products is not difficult. Specifically installing Streambaby or pyTivo should be no more difficult than any other app on that platform.

Quote:
I am not familiar with Linux and have been told the installation is quite complicated.
It is not. Indeed, it is rather easy. It does, however, help tremendously to be familiar with bash and to have a general understanding of how Linux works.

I believe Streambaby is a Java app, so you may first need to install JRE. If you decide to run pyTivo and HME for Python, you may have to install a compatible version of Python.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:06 PM   #9
atomarchio

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
So I have been given to understand. I don't have one, but according to jcthorne and others, installing alien software on the Synology products is not difficult. Specifically installing Streambaby or pyTivo should be no more difficult than any other app on that platform.

It is not. Indeed, it is rather easy. It does, however, help tremendously to be familiar with bash and to have a general understanding of how Linux works.

I believe Streambaby is a Java app, so you may first need to install JRE. If you decide to run pyTivo and HME for Python, you may have to install a compatible version of Python.
The Synology product appears to cost more than a WHS server solution. I am starting to notice that now.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:50 PM   #10
lrhorer

Well, that depends on which model you purchase, plus the initial outlay will possibly be offset by the lower monthly electricity and cooling costs. That said, the most economical solution for a low end unit is definitely a used older PC running Linux. A nice little mid-size tower can be had off ebay for about $50. Most distros of Linux (I prefer Debian) are free, as is all the software you might need to deploy your solution. Right now, 3T hard drives can be had on NewEgg for about $140. Toss a couple of those into a PC like this, add a DVD-ROM, download a Linux disto install and burn it to a CD, and a Saturday afternoon later you can have a respectably large, fault tolerant RAID system available to serve whatever to like to any device on yoour home LAN for under $400. For specific help - which ever direction you decide to turn (other than WHS) - I suggest you post in the Linux thread stickied in this forum.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:08 PM   #11
jrtroo
User

Quote:
I have a home build WHS and love it. I'm still trying to understand the rational of having 2 servers at the same time.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:13 PM   #12
atomarchio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
I have a home build WHS and love it. I'm still trying to understand the rational of having 2 servers at the same time.
I would only have 2 servers long enough to copy over all of my files.

I would like someone buy something similar to the LX195 where the hardware/operating system was already preinstalled prior to arriving at my house.

I don't want to build one. Any suggestions?
Old 12-31-2012, 10:04 PM   #13
lrhorer

Quote:
I would only have 2 servers long enough to copy over all of my files.
There is a difference between having a machine active and having it active as a server. I suggest activating the second machine, copy over all the files, and then shut down the servers on the first machine one by one, activating each in turn on the second machine before shutting down the next on the first machine.

Quote:
I would like someone buy something similar to the LX195 where the hardware/operating system was already preinstalled prior to arriving at my house.
Why? It only takes about 45 minutes to load Linux and another 30 minutes to an hour or so to set up the basic servers. After that, loading 3rd party solutions will be the same or perhaps a tiny bit easier on a roll-your-own.

Quote:
I don't want to build one. Any suggestions?
You mentioned being budget conscious. No matter what, having someone else build the system is going to cost you more money. The advantage of a NAS is it is small and uses little power, not that it is particularly easier to set up, especially for these purposes. I'm not saying a NAS is a bad solution, at all, just that it is going to be more expensive and more limited power-wise than a desktop solution. That's basically the compromise in this situation; lower cost and more CPU / memory horsepower vs. smaller size and lower electricity consumption.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:24 AM   #14
jcthorne

I never ran Streambaby on the Synology NAS. Java was my undoing on the linux based NAS.

Python is available as a simple package install under the Synology GUI interface. I never did find a Java runtime that worked well on the intel based Synology. But about that time, vidmgr became available and runs great under pythonHME.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:33 AM   #15
atomarchio

Quote:
I never ran Streambaby on the Synology NAS. Java was my undoing on the linux based NAS.

Python is available as a simple package install under the Synology GUI interface. I never did find a Java runtime that worked well on the intel based Synology. But about that time, vidmgr became available and runs great under pythonHME.
I am hesitant to switch from WHS because I am not that technical and already know how to install streambaby. Plus the higher cost was also a factor.

I am thinking of buying another HP MediaSmart product (better than the LX195) with the operating system/HD already installed. From checking ebay, it appears I can still do this.

Is there any other name brand besides HP that builds a pre packaged WHS?
Old 01-01-2013, 01:42 PM   #16
jrtroo
User

WHS is fine. I still use v1 because i like the overall features better than v2. But, it is getting limited due to max drive support of 2tb and AFD. Why are you switching if you are happy with what you have?
Old 01-02-2013, 08:10 AM   #17
atomarchio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
WHS is fine. I still use v1 because i like the overall features better than v2. But, it is getting limited due to max drive support of 2tb and AFD. Why are you switching if you are happy with what you have?
Because I am running out of space on the hard drive, it's not an isssue yet but it will be soon. The other concern I have is how slow the server performs.

Was hoping to find a bundled solution but the products don't appear to be readily available.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:15 AM   #18
jrtroo
User

Most servers are not speed demons, as it is not their purpose in life. Streaming does not take all that much speed.

Also, adding a new drive in WHS is super simple. Replacing drives with larger ones is also easy, except that version 1 cannot handle large drive sizes (over 2TB per unit).
Old 02-06-2013, 09:38 PM   #19
HockeyFan

Are there any simple instructions to setup
Streambaby on a nas?

I had a synology ds211+ for a little over
2 years, and just installed PyTivo.

It's slow to transfer, but great that I no-longer
need my pc on. I'm liking it

No luck with synology's media server indexing.
Serviio is little choppy on Sony tv.
Ps3 media server on nas looks too complicated.
Plex and twonky didn't work for me at all.

Hoping to be able to stream without pc & ps3.
HockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:14 AM   #20
jcthorne

If what you are after is playing stored videos from the NAS on your tivo, you already have half the job done with pytivo running. Add vidmgr and you will have a very nicley functioning media server for your tivo. Technicaly not streaming but the way it works it starts a transfer as soon as requested and usually playable by the time you get to the my shows list and select it to play. Properly encoded video files should transfer MUCH faster than real time so will stay ahead of the player.