TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-30-2012, 07:13 PM   #1
AZrob

Tivo Premiere + External MOCA adapter still not getting COX Plus Pack channels

Hi all,

Is there anyone out there in the Phoenix or Orange County (CA) COX service area who is using an external MOCA adapter and is able to get the so-called Plus Pack channels? These are the HD channels that COX moved to the H.264 standard this year that can't be received by Tivo HD's, but supposedly can now be received by Premiere units.

Thanks to a software fix from Tivo this past spring, all Premieres that have internal MOCA adapters enabled can receive these channels. However, I have one of the first wave of (non-Elite) Premieres, a "Premiere XL" model, and it doesn't have an internal MOCA adapter. So I have been using an external (Netgear) MOCA adapter to enable ethernet networking. What I found however, is that despite my best efforts, as well as the efforts of some Tivo and COX personnel, my unit cannot receive the Plus Pack channels. Apparently the fix that allowed the Plus Pack signals to pass through the internal Tivo adapters does not work for an external one.

Unless I am doing something wrong....so I'd like to see if there is just one person out there in either the Phoenix or Orange County area who is:

1. Using a Premiere-level Tivo without an internal MOCA adapter
2. Using an external MOCA ethernet adapter
3. Using a COX Tuning Adapter (in order to get SDV channels)
4. Able to receive the Plus Pack channels.

Other COX areas may also have been affected, but I am not sure of those.

The Plus Pack channels in Phoenix are:

HD service also required
1101 - Hub HD (Bonus Pak also required)
1133 - DIY HD - (Variety Pak also required)
1134 - Cooking Channel HD (Variety Pak also required)
1161 - Outdoor Channel HD (Sports and Info Pak also required)
1900 - SWRV HD (Variety Pak also required)

Corresponding Premium subscriptions also required

1202 - HBO Signature HD
1203 - HBO Family HD
1204 - HBO Comedy HD
1205 - HBO Zone HD
1210 - HBO East HD
1211 - HBO2 East HD
1212 - HBO Latino

1222 - Action MAX HD
1223 - Thriller MAX HD
1225 - Cinamax East HD
1226 - More Max East HD
1230 - 5StarMAX HD

1242 - Showtime Showcase HD
1243 - Showtime Extreme HD
1251 - TMC Xtra HD

1263 - Starz East HD
1264 - Starz Kids & Family HD
1265 - Starz Cinema HD
1266 - Starz Comedy HD

Thanks in advance,

Rob from AZ
AZrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:19 PM   #2
moyekj

I'm using Elite internal MoCA currrently. I don't subscribe to premiums but they do tune fine for me (diagnostics give all tuning information and show H.264) and there are some none premium channels in Plus Pack such as 1078=Pac-12 HD which tune and decrypt fine for me as well, and don't have CCI byte set such that I can download recordings to my PC. My 2 tuner Premiere which is ethernet connected also tunes the same channels fine, and prior to using internal MoCA my Elite was using an external Motorola NIM100 MoCA adapter and tuned those channels fine then as well from what I recall.

I don't understand why MoCA would have anything to do with your problem, internal or external. MoCA operates on frequencies > 1GHz while the Plus Pack channels are 800MHz-1000MHz range, so unless it's a really badly designed MoCA adapter there should not be any interference.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by moyekj : 12-30-2012 at 07:26 PM.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:48 PM   #3
AZrob

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
I'm using Elite internal MoCA currrently. I don't subscribe to premiums but they do tune fine for me (diagnostics give all tuning information and show H.264) and there are some none premium channels in Plus Pack such as 1078=Pac-12 HD which tune and decrypt fine for me as well, and don't have CCI byte set such that I can download recordings to my PC. My 2 tuner Premiere which is ethernet connected also tunes the same channels fine, and prior to using internal MoCA my Elite was using an external Motorola NIM100 MoCA adapter and tuned those channels fine then as well from what I recall.

I don't understand why MoCA would have anything to do with your problem, internal or external. MoCA operates on frequencies > 1GHz while the Plus Pack channels are 800MHz-1000MHz range, so unless it's a really badly designed MoCA adapter there should not be any interference.
All I can tell you is that when I disconnect the MOCA adapter and go straight into the Tivo, I get the PP channels just fine. Then when I reconnect the adapter, they go away. I've tried several MOCA adapters and the result is the same.

How is your 2-tuner Premiere connected to your Ethernet? Does it use a MOCA adapter?

Rob
Old 12-30-2012, 09:18 PM   #4
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZrob View Post
All I can tell you is that when I disconnect the MOCA adapter and go straight into the Tivo, I get the PP channels just fine. Then when I reconnect the adapter, they go away. I've tried several MOCA adapters and the result is the same.

How is your 2-tuner Premiere connected to your Ethernet? Does it use a MOCA adapter?

Rob
How are you connecting the external MoCA adapter? Are you just splitting coax before input to TiVo and sending 1 split to TiVo and other to adapter? If you are using the adapter pass-thru I would recommend not doing so and instead doing the former.
(My 2 tuner Premiere is currently directly connected to my router via ethernet).

Old 12-30-2012, 10:36 PM   #5
AZrob

Quote:
How are you connecting the external MoCA adapter? Are you just splitting coax before input to TiVo and sending 1 split to TiVo and other to adapter? If you are using the adapter pass-thru I would recommend not doing so and instead doing the former.
(My 2 tuner Premiere is currently directly connected to my router via ethernet).
Are you saying hook it up the "old" way, with one coax going to the MOCA adapter, then out from the MOCA to the Tuning Adapter and then from the TA to Tivo input?
Old 12-30-2012, 10:54 PM   #6
UCLABB

Quote:

Rob
Let's be clear here. What Moca adapter do you have? Does it have a coax in and a coax out? I'm a little unclear about your statement that you went straight to the TiVo. Did you leave out the tuning adapter on this trial (thus indicating that your problem may be the tuning adapter)?

Some people say to split the coax before the Moca adapter, but I have had no trouble using the Actiontec adapter as a splitter. You should try it both ways perhaps.
UCLABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:21 PM   #7
tvmaster2

Quote:
Hi all,

Is there anyone out there in the Phoenix or Orange County (CA) COX service area who is using an external MOCA adapter and is able to get the so-called Plus Pack channels? These are the HD channels that COX moved to the H.264 standard this year that can't be received by Tivo HD's, but supposedly can now be received by Premiere units.

Thanks to a software fix from Tivo this past spring, all Premieres that have internal MOCA adapters enabled can receive these channels. However, I have one of the first wave of (non-Elite) Premieres, a "Premiere XL" model, and it doesn't have an internal MOCA adapter. So I have been using an external (Netgear) MOCA adapter to enable ethernet networking. What I found however, is that despite my best efforts, as well as the efforts of some Tivo and COX personnel, my unit cannot receive the Plus Pack channels. Apparently the fix that allowed the Plus Pack signals to pass through the internal Tivo adapters does not work for an external one.

Unless I am doing something wrong....so I'd like to see if there is just one person out there in either the Phoenix or Orange County area who is:

1. Using a Premiere-level Tivo without an internal MOCA adapter
2. Using an external MOCA ethernet adapter
3. Using a COX Tuning Adapter (in order to get SDV channels)
4. Able to receive the Plus Pack channels.

Other COX areas may also have been affected, but I am not sure of those.

The Plus Pack channels in Phoenix are:

HD service also required
1101 - Hub HD (Bonus Pak also required)
1133 - DIY HD - (Variety Pak also required)
1134 - Cooking Channel HD (Variety Pak also required)
1161 - Outdoor Channel HD (Sports and Info Pak also required)
1900 - SWRV HD (Variety Pak also required)

Corresponding Premium subscriptions also required

1202 - HBO Signature HD
1203 - HBO Family HD
1204 - HBO Comedy HD
1205 - HBO Zone HD
1210 - HBO East HD
1211 - HBO2 East HD
1212 - HBO Latino

1222 - Action MAX HD
1223 - Thriller MAX HD
1225 - Cinamax East HD
1226 - More Max East HD
1230 - 5StarMAX HD

1242 - Showtime Showcase HD
1243 - Showtime Extreme HD
1251 - TMC Xtra HD

1263 - Starz East HD
1264 - Starz Kids & Family HD
1265 - Starz Cinema HD
1266 - Starz Comedy HD

Thanks in advance,

Rob from AZ
how does one figure out if their Premiere has the moca encoder!
tvmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:26 PM   #8
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
how does one figure out if their Premiere has the moca encoder!
Easy. 4 tuner units have MoCA, 2 tuner units do not.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:27 PM   #9
moyekj

Quote:
Are you saying hook it up the "old" way, with one coax going to the MOCA adapter, then out from the MOCA to the Tuning Adapter and then from the TA to Tivo input?
No, quite the opposite. I'm suggesting to try not going through either Tuning Adapter or MoCA adapter.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:54 PM   #10
AZrob

Quote:
No, quite the opposite. I'm suggesting to try not going through either Tuning Adapter or MoCA adapter.
Success! I wired it the "old" way..it didn't work..then I tried wiring it the "new" way AND I pushed the reset button in and out...and it worked. I have a hunch that it was actually the resetting of the MOCA adapter that did it, not the configuration. That was probably my problem all along....

Thanks all for your help and patience...and now we can say unequivocally that all Premieres should get the Plus Pack channels, whether there is an internal or an external adapter.

Rob