TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-30-2012, 04:59 PM   #1
gsurg_crs

Thinking of switching to TWC+Tivo from U-verse

Posted: 30 Dec 2012 22:47
I currently have U-verse U200 (basic+HD channels, no premium) with Whole Home HD-DVR and second tap. That plus 10/1 internet costs a whopping 160/mo in San Antonio. It was palatable with the promo $40 off for 6 months, but now its getting a little crazy. That plus reliability issues with the DVR have me thinking about switching.

TWC bundles a similar lineup with 15/1 internet for 90 before taxes. The bill starts to climb though with equipment rental fees.

So I thought about going back to TIVO. Had it previously in upstate NY and it worked great. Had it with DirecTV and it was great too, sad to see it go when I got my regular DirectTV DVR.

I have no experience with CableCard, but from what I've read it ranges from painless self install to sheer hell with confused/poorly trained techs. That in conjunction with the need to use a tuning adapter since TWC uses switched digital video (SDV) here in San Antonio.

Can anyone share their experience with Tivo and TWC (particularly in Texas)? Is my logic in switching screwy? Will I not be saving what I think I will be saving?
gsurg_crs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:58 PM   #2
warobert

Red face Time Warner Cable card in NY

I had very little issues with my TWC cable card in NY. The tuning adapter power cord needs to be plugged in and away from the TWC cable line. The green LED on the tuning adapter needs to be a steady green. The TWC operator will tell you what you need to do on the phone should you have any problems getting a signal through the TIVO Box and cable card plugged in. I had to make 1 phone call to my TWC operator and the next day everything worked fine. You will have to play with the cable line to get a good signal. I have a cable booster which helped me a lot. Hopes that helps.
warobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:20 PM   #3
scole250

I have TWC in NC with digital tier+HD+HBO, 3 Tivo Premieres w/cable card+TA, 2 TWC HD cable boxes (for on-demand and 4th TV), phone service and 30/5 internet for about that same price. Less than $600 for 3 2-Tuner Premieres that I upgraded to 2 TB each. I also pay the monthly sub for the Tivos. Had to "negotiate" the TWC price though. I'm happy with it.

Last edited by scole250 : 01-01-2013 at 07:43 PM.
scole250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:36 PM   #4
Tony Chick

My only problem in L.A. was getting hold of a Tuning Adapter. They gave me the cable card at the Van Nuys TWC office but said they don't keep TAs in stock there, they are all on the installers trucks. Pairing the cable card was easy, just a phone number to call but the installer that delivered the TA insisted on installing it himself for a $35 fee. I eventually got TW to back that off the bill but it was still annoying. Technically everything was easy though.

I now have a dead TA that I need to exchange, it will be interesting to see how that goes
Tony Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:44 PM   #5
scole250

Guess I should have added that since you don't already have cable installed, I would have the TWC tech come out so he can verify the signal quality and fix any bad connections or cables. The tuning adapters are sensitive to low signal level and high noise levels. If that isn't done right, you'll have nothing but problems with tuning channels. Once that's done, TWC has a cable card install number that usually takes no more than 30 minutes to get a card paired and working.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:43 AM   #6
brenthenze

TWC service...meh

I'm in NC, and I'm still trying to switch over to TiVo/TWC. If your TWC area support is like mine, I'd watch out. Here, TWC support is terrible. I ordered my cablecard and tuning adapter November 9. After six weeks of waiting (and 9 phone calls), I finally drove to area TWC offices and after two tries got the DTA and card. Since then, three service calls, one DTA swapout, and several hours of phone calling/service visits later, I'm still only able to receive the non-switched channels.

I *think* the tech problem is still the tuning adapter (since I can get some channels, just only about 40% of them). Evidently the tuning adapters are just really poor devices in general, which kind of cancels out the high quality of the TiVo device itself. But the even bigger problem, imo, is that the TWC support is so awful. Missed appointments, faulty equipment, an extreme phone tree runaround, multiple "not my problem" responses--it's a mess. I was really looking forward to my TiVo (two months ago), but now, $800 later, I'm wishing I hadn't bothered.

Fair warning.
brenthenze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:51 AM   #7
Davisadm
TiVo is Back!!!!!!!!

One other problem with TWC: They copy-protect all, but the OTA channels. This means that you cannot transfer (copy) cable programs from one box to another, or use TiVoToGo (or iTiVo, pytivo, etc) to copy to your computer, or use TiVo Stream to copy to an iPhone or iPad. Again, OTA channel programming works fine.

This is a big gripe for a lot of people regarding TWC
Davisadm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:46 PM   #8
pkincy

I lost my 3 lifetime service Tivos when Directv dropped them (or vice versa) over 10 years ago. And everytime I come back to the "community" I hear these horror stories of the cable companies and the TA not working.

Tivo is the best technology with the worst marketing management I have ever seen. They should have taken over the DVR business many years ago, but just can't seem to make it work. So we are stuck with SA crap boxes with horrible software.

Happy New Year to all.
pkincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:27 PM   #9
unitron

Greetings to fellow TWC in NC victims.

Something would have to be pretty bad for me to switch from it to TWC.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:05 PM   #10
scole250

Well y'all, I ain't a TWC cheerleader. Matter of fact, I'm a recovering former TWC Signature Home Service customer, but I've found that the folks in the local office and techs here really do care about you getting good service and I've been very happy with them. They don't care if you rent their boxes or use Tivo as long as you use TWC as a service provider. Phone support is hit or miss though :/
Old 01-05-2013, 08:09 PM   #11
unitron

Oh, the local employees are nice enough, some very so, but they don't get to set policy.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:49 AM   #12
swarto112

its all luck

i moved from a FIOS area to a U-verse/TWC area. TIVO and FIOS match made in heaven. TWC and TiVo match made in hell. If the TWC infrastructure is even a tich off the poor quality TAs wont be able to handle delivering all the switched channels. Ive spent hours with techs and hone support. Basically, it comes down a few things. Make sure that the TA and TiVO are split do not direct coax connect. Swap out tuning adapters if channels dont come in. Techs will pass the buck but the local sales staff can usually find you one in the the warehouse. Or just order it...either way they pass the buck.Its irritating that large companies still think passing the buck at others within their company is an acceptable answer.

FIOS
swarto112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:36 AM   #13
holee
Uncertain

Unfortunately for those of us suffering in NC, we don't really have an alternative to TWC.

I was fortunate in that I was able to get my TiVo up and running when the installer was here. However, it wasn't smooth or efficient by any means. It took about half a day to take care of and a lot of calls.

I'd like to get an XL4, but I'm dreading the prospect of trying to get another TiVO live up on TWC's network.