TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-29-2012, 04:14 PM   #1
curt1s

HME for python not working on Windows

Hello all,

I am trying to set up and run pytivo video manager for Windows, but I am running into a problem, and maybe someone can help me. I installed hmeforpython and read the README and set it up like it suggested. I then read the README for your application, and did the same. I run the server as so:

C:\Users\ch1\Downloads\hmeforpython-master>start.py
HME Server for Python 0.20
Sat Dec 29 17:56:23 2012 PyTivo Video Manager version 2.1b module initializing
Cache file does not exist - no thumbnails loaded
Sat Dec 29 17:56:23 2012 Server Starts
Registering: clock
Registering: tictactoe
Registering: vidmgr

When I go to my tivo, I see the apps there, but when I click on any of them I just get a "Please wait..." message, which is on the screen for a really long time then I get this error:

"An error occured while running the application. HTTP failure (Http connection error: 0x50005)"

Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

NOTE: I updated the vidmgr install, but still no luck running any of the hme apps.

I am running a Tivo Series3.

Thanks,

Last edited by curt1s : 12-29-2012 at 05:37 PM.
curt1s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:02 PM   #2
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

I'd guess that it was a firewall issue. You could also try rebooting the TiVo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:13 PM   #3
curt1s

I dont't have any firewalls enabled for Windows, not even the default one that comes with the OS.

I will try rebooting the Tivo.

Thanks.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:33 PM   #4
curt1s

I tried rebooting the tivo and no luck. Any other ideas?

The only other thing that may be messing this all up is that I am hooked into a VPN. Do you think that could be the problem?

Last edited by curt1s : 12-30-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:42 PM   #5
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

I think you're mistaken about the firewall.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:55 PM   #6
curt1s

Here is a screenshot of my Windows 7 firewall settings, it is turned off completely. I have no third party firewall software installed.

I disconnected from the VPN and tested it again with no luck.

I tried testing the TiVo HME quickstart demos at:

http://tivohme.sourceforge.net/quic...quickstart.jnlp

and they work!

Any other ideas why the python version is not working for me?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg firewall.jpg (25.8 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by curt1s : 12-30-2012 at 03:16 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:20 PM   #7
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Normally I'd agree, it could be the VPN. But what bothers me is that, elsewhere, you said that you had pyTivo working. Yes? And the network setup isn't that different between them.

If you weren't seeing the HME apps at all, but pyTivo was working, then I'd assume there was a problem with Zeroconf packets getting through (this is common). But you are seeing them, and just not connecting. This would be explained if port 9032 (pyTivo) was open, while port 9042 (HME for Python) was blocked, which is what led me to the firewall conclusion.

But, I guess it could also be that the wrong (VPN) interface is being reported via the Zeroconf broadcasts, and that this isn't affecting pyTivo only because it has the old-style beacons running as well. In that case, you might benefit by trying the latest HME for Python from git, which has the option to use the old-style beacon system. (I was going to suggest the -a option to start.py, but I don't think that will do it. I may have to modify things so that it will.)

Old 12-30-2012, 03:22 PM   #8
curt1s

By the way my attachment disappeared, so here it is again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg firewall.jpg (25.3 KB, 3 views)
Old 12-30-2012, 03:38 PM   #9
curt1s

Ok setting the beacon to the old style worked:

beacon=255.255.255.255

The funny thing is, I tried this as one of the very first debugging measures, and it didn't fix it. Maybe it worked because I disconnected from the VPN?

By the way, thanks for your help
Old 12-30-2012, 04:28 PM   #10
curt1s

By the way, is there any way to run this hmeforpython as a system service rather than from a cmd line in Windows?
Old 12-31-2012, 06:43 AM   #11
ggieseke

The VPN may be modifying your route table if both ends are on the same subnet. My work network is on 192.168.1.x and people with that network at home can't see their other devices when our Cisco AnyConnect VPN software is running. You can start a command prompt in Windows and run the "route print" command with and without the VPN to see how it modifies the route table.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote