TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-29-2012, 05:02 PM   #1
hobbiton

Dead TiVoHD, possible dead motherboard?

A couple of weeks ago I came home to find that that my 5 year old TiVoHD was dead (no lights, fan, or video output but the HD still spins). Pulling the cover, there were two bulging capacitors on the power supply. Bought another TiVoHD off Craigslist and made sure that it booted before switching the PSUs. However, that made no difference. The HD will spin but no lights, fan, or video output.

The unit has lifetime and was upgraded to 1TB so I would like to fix it but not sure what recourse I have at this point. Anyone have some insight or suggestions?
hobbiton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:21 AM   #2
HomeUser

The new power-supply may not have enough power to supply that 1TB drive.

A quick test would be
1. See if you get the welcome powering up message with the hard drive disconnected.
2. Try booting the Lifetime DVR with the drive from the e-bay DVR.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:24 AM   #3
jcthorne

Very doubtful its the 'power supply not large enough' for a single drive. The 1tb drive uses no more power than the stock drive.

I would try the ebay hard drive on the old unit and see what happens. If that fails, its likely the dying power supply took out something on the motherboard. With lifetime on it, its worth repairing. I would contact Weaknees for path forward.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:57 PM   #4
HomeUser

Agree it may not be the PS. No fans, lights or video is a strong indication of the PS being bad. Without a volt meter and I have a known at least marginally good working supply I would start by removing the loads like the Hard drive and Cable Card before I call the Mother Board bad.

I know from experience there is a large difference in the power consumption of disk drives I have seen 1TB desktop drives that consume from 6W to 18W at power up.

I think hobbiton's solution to contact WeaKnees is a good one.

Reference Diagnosing TiVo Power Supply Problems

Last edited by HomeUser : 12-31-2012 at 02:44 PM. Reason: wrong reference to op
HomeUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:15 PM   #5
hobbiton

Thanks for the suggestions! I did unplug the HD from the motherboard but that didn't help. I may try putting the old HD in it to see if that will make a difference. I'm a little reluctant to spend more money to send it to Weaknees for diagnosis when they said there was a slight chance that they wouldn't be able fix it but I might still do that.
hobbiton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:51 PM   #6
HomeUser

If you don't see the "Welcome Powering Up" screen adding a hard drive won't make any difference.

Double check the ribbon cable that supplies power to the mother board.

The TiVo HD is probably worth up to $300 with the Life time subscription.