TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-28-2012, 11:30 PM   #1
jfharrison

Unable to transfer recordings

I have a Series 2 that I am replacing with a Premiere and I want to transfer saved recordings to the Premiere. The Series2 connects to my network via the Tivo usb wireless adapter. The Premiere is connected to my network via an ethernet cable. All the network settings and Media Access Key are correct.

When I try to connect to transfer I get the error "My Shows could not be displayed because of a network problem". Other than the fact that there is no My Shows on the Series 2 (which is the same as the Series2 'Now Playing List') it should not matter IMO.

What is preventing the systems from talking to each other?

Thanks, Jon
jfharrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:43 AM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Try rebooting both Tivos and possibly the router.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:12 AM   #3
jfharrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Try rebooting both Tivos and possibly the router.
Thanks, but I've already tried that.

Also, on my computer with Tivo desktop loaded I can see both Tivos and transfer recordings from each of the Tivo's to the computer. But the Premiere does not want connect to the Series 2.

Jon
Old 12-29-2012, 12:52 PM   #4
lpwcomp

Have you assigned fixed IP addresses to both TiVos?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:43 PM   #5
jfharrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Have you assigned fixed IP addresses to both TiVos?
I have a fixed on the Series2 and using dhcp for Premiere.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:09 PM   #6
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfharrison View Post
I have a Series 2 that I am replacing with a Premiere and I want to transfer saved recordings to the Premiere. The Series2 connects to my network via the Tivo usb wireless adapter. The Premiere is connected to my network via an ethernet cable. All the network settings and Media Access Key are correct.

When I try to connect to transfer I get the error "My Shows could not be displayed because of a network problem". Other than the fact that there is no My Shows on the Series 2 (which is the same as the Series2 'Now Playing List') it should not matter IMO.

What is preventing the systems from talking to each other?

Thanks, Jon
Make sure your router has the latest firmware available for it. And search here for posts regarding router settings that can cause problems. I don't remember enough about that to be more specific, but try "broadcast" or "multicast" as one of your search terms.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:02 PM   #7
jfharrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
Make sure your router has the latest firmware available for it. And search here for posts regarding router settings that can cause problems. I don't remember enough about that to be more specific, but try "broadcast" or "multicast" as one of your search terms.
Thanks for the search suggestions. Do you mean search all forums or just this forum?

The reason I posted to begin with is my initial searchs - and now a search for 'multicast' results in threads that have anywhere from several hundred to 10's of thousand of replies. Sure wish there as a way to wade though those threads faster than a pagedown.

Since the Premiere does see the Series2 but does not connect when it is selected, and it does connect to 2 of the computers on my network I just have something odd set or not set on one of the Tivo units.

Recapping: Series 2 can see & access WinXP computers on my network. Premiere can see & access WinXP computers on my network. Series2 can see Premiere. But Premiere cannot see Series2.

If there was a problem with broadcasts then I don't think the above connections would be working.

Jon
Old 12-29-2012, 03:48 PM   #8
lpwcomp

Couldn't hurt to assign a fixed IP address to the Premiere and it might help.

The most recent post had conflicting information. It said that the Premiere could see the TiVo 2 but not connect but then the recap said it couldn't see it.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:07 PM   #9
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Any new Tivo added recently will take up a day to get the Media Access Key and transferring services working.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:13 PM   #10
jfharrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Couldn't hurt to assign a fixed IP address to the Premiere and it might help.
Good, I'll do that and see what happens. The series2 is a static ip wireless connection. I have the Premiere set for dhcp wired. I'll change that to static ip.

Quote:
The most recent post had conflicting information. It said that the Premiere could see the TiVo 2 but not connect but then the recap said it couldn't see it.
What I meant (why can't I type as fast as I think?) is that the Premiere see's that the Series 2 exists. It displays it's host name. Selecting to show recordings fails with the message I originally posted.

Thanks, Jon
Old 12-29-2012, 04:16 PM   #11
jfharrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Any new Tivo added recently will take up a day to get the Media Access Key and transferring services working.
It's been about 18 hrs since I activated. The Media Access key shows in the Premiere - I did not have to input it. It is the same as the one in the Series2. One of the diagnostics screens show that I'm activated so I presume enough time as gone by. Maybe I just need to wait longer.

Meanwhile, I'm copying some Series2 recordings to my computer and intend to copy them from the computer back to the Premiere. I hope that idea is a viable solution.

Jon
Old 12-29-2012, 07:36 PM   #12
LynnL999

I had the exact same problem (with an HD instead of a S2) when I added my Premiere. Give it a bit more time, and force connections on both machines. If you have any unactivated TiVos on your network, go ahead and disconnect those at least temporarily. Eventually it worked for me.
LynnL999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:13 PM   #13
jfharrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnL999 View Post
I had the exact same problem (with an HD instead of a S2) when I added my Premiere. Give it a bit more time, and force connections on both machines. Eventually it worked for me.
Thanks for this comment. I've been beating my head about my inability to figure this out, changing ip settings, resetting all the devices, forcing connections, etc, etc. The DVR sez I have an account and it shows up in "manage my account". But I just looked again, more thoroughly, and it sez "activation in progress, check again in 24 hrs".

So maybe "give it more time" is the answer.

Thanks, Jon
Old 12-30-2012, 08:51 AM   #14
cmshep222

I had the same issue as you...TivoHD and XL4. Verizon Fios actiontec router. Tried everything to fix, nothing worked...and Tivo even sent a replacement XL4 to me. But before the replacement got here, the machines suddenly COULD see each other again (basically started working on it's own).

My opinion...give it time and see what happens.
cmshep222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:01 AM   #15
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

I waited a week before I tried to transfer recordings from the new XL4 to our HD. Worked fine...
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:40 PM   #16
jfharrison

To followup on my post, I removed the Tivo Wireless device and hooked everything up to the same hub with ethernet cable. I also confirmed that my subscription had been posted against my credit card account. Apparently at the time I originally posted even tho the payment had been accepted the actual transfer of the funds was in limbo.

Everything is working now.

Thanks to all for the suggestions
jon