TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-28-2012, 05:09 PM   #1
LynnL999

How would a MoCA setup work for me?

Hi,

I am considering MoCA to extend my ethernet range, but I'm not sure how the setup would work for me based on the diagrams I've seen. I get how the additional MoCA adapters would be setup, but I'm not clear on the "main" adapter setup.

At my main console, I have the cable modem, the router, and the TiVo XL. From the wall, the coax goes into a splitter, with one side going into the TiVo and one to the cable modem.

The TiVo side goes from the splitter to the tuning adapter to the TiVo.

The modem side goes from the splitter to the modem (duh).

So I am a bit confused, as I have seen diagrams where the MoCA goes between the (in my case) splitter and the tivo, and others where it goes between the splitter and the cable modem. How would I wire up MoCA in my situation, keeping the tuning adapter in mind as well?

Thanks for any help.
LynnL999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:18 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

Doesn't matter where it goes as long as it's connected to the coax. Based on your description I would put it on the modem side of the splitter. The MoCa adapter has a pass through port so I would just plug the cable that is currently connected to your modem into the MoCa adapter, then use a short jump cable to connect the pass through port to the modem.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:35 PM   #3
LynnL999

Okay, that sounds logical Could I just keep the TiVo connected to the router as it is now, or would it need to be connected to the MoCA adapter instead, since the other TiVo would be connected by MoCA? It's all still on the same network, right?
Old 12-28-2012, 08:27 PM   #4
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

You would not need MoCa if your setup of router, cable modem and Tivo, TV are in the same location instead of at a distance (ie: router, modem at 1 end of house, TV, Tivo at other end.)

You would not need anything if your Tivo is connected straight to the router and modem.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:17 AM   #5
jcthorne

You can have the tivo near the router connected via ethernet and the remote tivo connected via moca and all will work fine on one network. Moca extends your ethernet network to include the cable wireing in the house.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:57 PM   #6
LynnL999

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
You would not need MoCa if your setup of router, cable modem and Tivo, TV are in the same location instead of at a distance (ie: router, modem at 1 end of house, TV, Tivo at other end.)

You would not need anything if your Tivo is connected straight to the router and modem.
Right, but I have a second TiVo in a bedroom upstairs, way too far for a ethernet connection.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.