TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-27-2012, 10:21 PM   #1
willbm3

TiVo Premiere struggling to tune 2 channels simultaneously

Hello All,

I had a TiVo Premiere (my first) installed last week and my experience has been a nightmare so far. After resolving some of my issues I'm left with the most puzzling one that no one can seem to resolve: my TiVo is struggling to tune 2 channels simultaneously. There is nothing wrong with the tuners or the channels because I can independently tune any channel on either tuner and it will work. However when I flip to the other tuner, the previously tuned channel is gone and I get either a "not authorized" or "signal problem" error. After flipping around a bit that channel will come in, but then when I flip to the other tuner I get the same message for that channel. Now here comes the real kicker: this problem appears to be dependent on what channels are tuned on each tuner. For example, I can have 623 (TNT) and 681 (ESPN) tuned on both with no issues, but if I flip either to 660 (Travel) and then swap tuners I get an error on both 623 and 681. I've discovered a number of different channel combinations that either work or don't work. As you can imagine, this creates a nightmare when trying to record shows.

Does anybody have any suggestions? I'm puzzled and my cable company is puzzled. I've done multiple restarts. I've had another installer come out and swap cable cards and TiVo's, test the signal, etc. I have RCN in Boston and I'm using a leased RCN-branded box.
willbm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:10 AM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Are you using a tuning adapter? It may be an issue of tuning 2 channels on the adapter.

Have you tried re-running guided setup again? (it won't delete anything.)
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:43 AM   #3
willbm3

No tuning adapter. I haven't tried re-running guided setup. I never did it the first place since it's a leased box from my cable company (RCN branded box) and they came and set it up. I suppose I could try it, but I wouldn't want to screw up any of their settings.

For the life of me I can't figure out the problem. All of my channels work flawlessly as long as I'm on one tuner and some channel combinations work flawlessly when dual-tuned, but other combinations give errors when dual-tuned and I can only use one tuner when that happens
Old 12-28-2012, 09:13 AM   #4
chrispitude

I had this problem on a Series 3. The cable company replaced both cable cards (twice) and the problem was resolved. I know the Premiere uses a single multistream card, but this sounds just like the problem I was having.
chrispitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:15 PM   #5
willbm3

Chris,

So keep swapping out the card and hope it fixes it? You also had certain channel combinations working and others not working?
Old 12-28-2012, 03:28 PM   #6
Dan203
Super Moderator

Defintely sounds like a CableCARD issue. The first thing I would do is get a replacement card from the canle company. With the new self in stall regulations you should be able to swap the card at the local office and authorize it either via the phone or a website, so the process should be relatively quick.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:38 PM   #7
willbm3

I guess I'll try that. I'll have a tech come out with a van full of cards to try. If that doesn't work then I don't know what to do. This definitely ruins the whole 'set it and forget it' aspect of TiVo
Old 12-28-2012, 04:04 PM   #8
Dan203
Super Moderator

One of the biggest issues with TiVos is the CableCARD struggle. Cable companies purposely make it as hard as possible so that you'll use their DVR instead. But once you get it working having a TiVo is worth the effort.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:09 PM   #9
willbm3

The weird thing is that this is their box. They offer a $19.95/mo TiVo premiere (inclusive of service) instead of buying your own and paying ~$15/mo for service so they should want it to work.

Just spent about 45 min on the phone with tech support and after wasting time with some restarts they're sending a tech out on Monday. Yet another guy I spoke to who had never heard of this problem before. Hopefully swapping cards will work
Old 12-30-2012, 07:58 PM   #10
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by willbm3 View Post
The weird thing is that this is their box. They offer a $19.95/mo TiVo premiere (inclusive of service) instead of buying your own and paying ~$15/mo for service so they should want it to work.

Just spent about 45 min on the phone with tech support and after wasting time with some restarts they're sending a tech out on Monday. Yet another guy I spoke to who had never heard of this problem before. Hopefully swapping cards will work
This Tivo may have been 'abused' by previous 'renters' and nobody knew about it.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:17 PM   #11
lrhorer

Quote:
No tuning adapter. I haven't tried re-running guided setup. I never did it the first place since it's a leased box from my cable company (RCN branded box) and they came and set it up. I suppose I could try it, but I wouldn't want to screw up any of their settings.
It won't.

Quote:
For the life of me I can't figure out the problem. All of my channels work flawlessly as long as I'm on one tuner and some channel combinations work flawlessly when dual-tuned, but other combinations give errors when dual-tuned and I can only use one tuner when that happens
'Sounds like it could possibly be a flaky TiVo. I would have your provider replace it and the CableCard. Actually, my leased Premiere has a little "Do Not Remove" sticker over the CableCard slotwith warnings of dire conseuences if it is removed. IF yours is like that, I would not even let them replace the CableCard unless they also have a replacement sticker on hand.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:19 PM   #12
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
One of the biggest issues with TiVos is the CableCARD struggle. Cable companies purposely make it as hard as possible so that you'll use their DVR instead. But once you get it working having a TiVo is worth the effort.
I guess you missed the part where the OP said the TiVo IS the CATV company's DVR.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:16 PM   #13
chrispitude

Quote:
So keep swapping out the card and hope it fixes it? You also had certain channel combinations working and others not working?
Yes. It was especially strange in that I could tune all channels with one CableCard, but only a partial set with the other. I know we're now in the days of single M-cards, but this still gives some insight into the nature of problematic CableCards.
chrispitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:43 PM   #14
willbm3

This is my 2nd TiVo unit as the first was replaced in an attempt to fix the problem. I spoke to a tech the other day who informed me that these RCN TiVo's are tied to the specific CableCard in them and they can't just swap the card out...they have to replace the box. That seems strange to me, but whatever.

Anyways, he did tell me that I'm no longer the only customer with this problem and that there have been lots of reports of this over the last week or two in the Boston area (coincidentally this is when they added some new channels to the lineup). Even customers who own their TiVo's have swapped CableCards to no avail. It only affects TiVo's and the Motorola boxes work fine. The RCN engineers are looking into it with the TiVo engineers. That's all I know so I guess I'll just have to wait it out...hopefully they figure it out sooner rather than later
Old 01-05-2013, 03:55 PM   #15
willbm3

Just wanted to update. RCN has apparently fixed the issue a few days ago and my TiVo appears to be working normally, although it still has to earn my trust back
Old 01-06-2013, 06:28 AM   #16
electricmarquis

So what was the verdict on the actual problem?
electricmarquis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:53 PM   #17
willbm3

Not sure. As much as I'd like to know I don't feel like wading thru a sea of tech support until I found someone who knows