TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-27-2012, 07:22 PM   #1
Tallguy62

Audio question: TV App vs. Tivo Audio

I have an audio question

I just bought a Panny TC-P65VT50 (awesome) which has built-in Netflix. My Tivo Premiere is connected via HDMI to a Pioneer VSX-820 AV receiver (no HDMI ARC).

I can use the TV's Netflix application and have it output audio to the AV receiver via optical audio, but Tivo audio keeps playing so I have two programs' audio at once coming out of the receiver. (Only solution - a hack - is to play a recording on Tivo and pause it. I don't want to spend 5 years having to do that.)

If I buy an HDMI ARC capable receiver, can I hook it up as shown and expect the sound problem to be solved?

TIVO -> HDMI -> ARC Receiver -> HDMI -> TV

Basically, will the HDMI ARC feature recognize that the TV is returning audio to the receiver when I use its Netflix app and cut off Tivo audio automatically?

Note: I know I could just use the Tivo Netflix app, instead of the TV's. I already am doing that - we have two Netflix accounts (adults vs. kids) and I want to access both - one via Tivo and one via TV app.
Tallguy62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:05 PM   #2
cherry ghost

what you're saying should work, but you can't you keep the current receiver and set the optical to a different input on the receiver and switch to it when you want Netflix from the TV?

Choosing The Input Signal - Page 41

Set DVR/VCR to HDMI and TV/SAT to O1
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:14 AM   #3
dboff01

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
what you're saying should work, but you can't you keep the current receiver and set the optical to a different input on the receiver and switch to it when you want Netflix from the TV?

Choosing The Input Signal - Page 41

Set DVR/VCR to HDMI and TV/SAT to O1
I agree with this suggestion.

I have a similar setup with my Samsung TV and Marantz receiver. When choosing to watch TV apps, I have the receiver switch specifically to the toslink input (not Tivo HDMI input).

This does, however, create audio lipsync problems for me, so I tend to avoid the use of TV apps and instead use a Roku.
dboff01 is offline   Reply With Quote