TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2012, 04:26 AM   #1891
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
FWIW, I have 3 of those drives in my desktop PC and they run at about 95F (35C). Cool, quiet, reliable.
Are you talking about the Seagate or the WD?
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:22 AM   #1892
sean584995
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 12
upgrade my tivo using WD20EURS 2TB?

Hi, My tivo's model is TCD746320 Premiere.
can i use the WD20EURS 2TB to upgrade my tivo? Sorry, the FAQ doesn't mention my tivo's model #. Thanks.
sean584995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:34 AM   #1893
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean584995 View Post
Hi, My tivo's model is TCD746320 Premiere.
can i use the WD20EURS 2TB to upgrade my tivo? Sorry, the FAQ doesn't mention my tivo's model #. Thanks.
Considering that lots of other people have already done so successfully, I'd say grab one while they're still only $100 and make yourself a copy of the jmfs cd and go read the beginning of this thread.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:47 AM   #1894
sean584995
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Considering that lots of other people have already done so successfully, I'd say grab one while they're still only $100 and make yourself a copy of the jmfs cd and go read the beginning of this thread.
Thank you so much. I've ordered the drive. Will attempt to upgrade following the instructions. I've seen the forum very helpful in answering questions - hopefully, there will be someone to help me upgrade in case I need help. Thanks again!!
sean584995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:50 AM   #1895
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean584995 View Post
Thank you so much. I've ordered the drive. Will attempt to upgrade following the instructions. I've seen the forum very helpful in answering questions - hopefully, there will be someone to help me upgrade in case I need help. Thanks again!!
If you're going to use a PC to do it, make sure it doesn't have a GigaByte brand motherboard. If it does, post back and we'll figure out a workaround.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:54 PM   #1896
sean584995
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
If you're going to use a PC to do it, make sure it doesn't have a GigaByte brand motherboard. If it does, post back and we'll figure out a workaround.
Thanks. Instructions seem to indicate that the TIVO drive and the new WD drive need to be connected to a laptop(in my case) at the *same time* and boot from the CD. Does it mean I need 2 cables of USB to SATA so I connect my laptop to the 2 drives simultaneously??? I found this on Amazon:*** SATA/PATA/IDE Drive to USB 2.0 Adapter Converter Cable for 2.5/3.5 Inch Hard Drive / Optical Drive with External AC Power Adapter***. Is that what is needed. Is there another alternative. Please advise.
sean584995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 04:11 AM   #1897
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean584995 View Post
Thanks. Instructions seem to indicate that the TIVO drive and the new WD drive need to be connected to a laptop(in my case) at the *same time* and boot from the CD. Does it mean I need 2 cables of USB to SATA so I connect my laptop to the 2 drives simultaneously??? I found this on Amazon:*** SATA/PATA/IDE Drive to USB 2.0 Adapter Converter Cable for 2.5/3.5 Inch Hard Drive / Optical Drive with External AC Power Adapter***. Is that what is needed. Is there another alternative. Please advise.

Let me begin by saying DO NOT RE-USE YOUR PREMIERE'S ORIGINAL DRIVE.

After successfully copying it to another drive, put it on the shelf for safekeeping.

You will have to have both the Premiere's original drive and the new one connected to the same computer at the same time in some way.

I've never had to use one of those things you're talking about because I always had the side off of a PC case and could get to the motherboard drive ports directly.

Searching Amazon for that phrase returns listings for several different very similar products, all of which probably should work, if they don't send you bad ones, but I don't have any direct experience with any of them.

You should read the reviews and find where someone has had success with a 2TB or larger drive, because some of the chipsets, for some reason, can only handle smaller ones.

Another possibility to consider is using external hard drive enclosures.

That way, you can put some other drives in them when you're done for extra storage space.

But again, check reviews to make sure it'll handle 2TB or more drives. Several of them seem to limited to 1TB.

newegg has some external cases on sale right now, I can forward the email with the discount codes if you like, you should be able to click on my user name to the left and email me via this site, or send it directly to me at coastalnet.com where I'm the same user name as I am here.


There are some USB/hard drive thingies that have slots for drives to be put in like toast slices, but only one USB connector. I'm pretty sure I''ve seen people around here saying they won't work because you can only access one of the drives at the time.

The alternative to having both drives connected to your laptop at the same time is to have them connected to someone's desktop PC or Mac at the same time.

It's times like these that having richsadams around really came in handy--he already knew all of this stuff from experience.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 05:30 AM   #1898
ggieseke
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Are you talking about the Seagate or the WD?
The Seagate ST32000641AS.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:54 AM   #1899
sean584995
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Let me begin by saying DO NOT RE-USE YOUR PREMIERE'S ORIGINAL DRIVE.

After successfully copying it to another drive, put it on the shelf for safekeeping.

You will have to have both the Premiere's original drive and the new one connected to the same computer at the same time in some way.

I've never had to use one of those things you're talking about because I always had the side off of a PC case and could get to the motherboard drive ports directly.

Searching Amazon for that phrase returns listings for several different very similar products, all of which probably should work, if they don't send you bad ones, but I don't have any direct experience with any of them.

You should read the reviews and find where someone has had success with a 2TB or larger drive, because some of the chipsets, for some reason, can only handle smaller ones.

Another possibility to consider is using external hard drive enclosures.

That way, you can put some other drives in them when you're done for extra storage space.

But again, check reviews to make sure it'll handle 2TB or more drives. Several of them seem to limited to 1TB.

newegg has some external cases on sale right now, I can forward the email with the discount codes if you like, you should be able to click on my user name to the left and email me via this site, or send it directly to me at coastalnet.com where I'm the same user name as I am here.


There are some USB/hard drive thingies that have slots for drives to be put in like toast slices, but only one USB connector. I'm pretty sure I''ve seen people around here saying they won't work because you can only access one of the drives at the time.

The alternative to having both drives connected to your laptop at the same time is to have them connected to someone's desktop PC or Mac at the same time.

It's times like these that having richsadams around really came in handy--he already knew all of this stuff from experience.
I do have access to a PC at work which I should be able to use for this if it makes it easier. I think most PCs have provision to connect another slave/hard drive internerally (in addition to the main drive) using the sata cable. So, do you think it will work if I 'remove' the existing 'main' drive from PC, connect the original TIVO drive AND the new 2TB drive to this PC, boot it up using the JMFS live CD and follow the prompts?? Once I'm done with my job, remove both the drives and I put back the main drive into the PC. Anything wrong with what I'm saying?? Please advise. Thanks.
sean584995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:21 PM   #1900
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean584995 View Post
I do have access to a PC at work which I should be able to use for this if it makes it easier. I think most PCs have provision to connect another slave/hard drive internerally (in addition to the main drive) using the sata cable. So, do you think it will work if I 'remove' the existing 'main' drive from PC, connect the original TIVO drive AND the new 2TB drive to this PC, boot it up using the JMFS live CD and follow the prompts?? Once I'm done with my job, remove both the drives and I put back the main drive into the PC. Anything wrong with what I'm saying?? Please advise. Thanks.
If you're going to use a PC at work, make sure it doesn't have a GigaByte brand motherboard and that you can open it up without getting fired.

(If it does have a GigaByte board, there are precautions to be taken)

You should disconnect the SATA data cable from the work PC's hard drive to protect it from any "ooopsies", and you can use it and the power cable for one of the drives. You shouldn't actually remove the drive, just disconnect the cables and do the work with your 2 hard drives lying on the table next to the open case and an armed guard nearby to keep everyone else away from it.

You'll need a power and data cable for the other one, and you can't use the CD or DVD drive's, because you have to use it to boot from the jmfs cd.

The PC may have unused power connectors, but very likely won't have an unused SATA data cable inside, even if it has an unused SATA header on the motherboard.

So basically you're going to need to open it up and see what you've got to work with one day and then maybe do the actual work the next after picking up some cables.

What you could possibly do is hook up one drive with the cables the PC's drive uses and hook up the other drive via some sort of USB connection, depending on what you get your hands on.

If it's a "brand" PC, like Dell, Compaq/HP, etc, it won't have a GigaByte board, but if it was put together at a screwdriver shop it might. If it does, the first hard drive it "sees" when it first boots up, almost certainly the one it boots from that has Windows on it, will have to remain connected to keep the board from trying to put a Host Protected Area on any other hard drive that gets attached. It does this to have a place to put some sort of backup on, but it does it without warning or notice and there's no way to turn it off in the BIOS settings. This will either screw up an already formatted drive, or steal space at the end of an unformatted one.

Also you need to go into the BIOS and make sure it's set to boot from cd before it boots from a hard drive, and if it's not you need to remember to change it back to the way it was when you're done.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:55 AM   #1901
sean584995
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 12
Thanks Unitron!!!!I was able to find a PC with an unused power and SATA ports that I can use for the new 2TB drive. I'm going to disconnect the main HDD and connect its power and SATA to the drive from TIVO. UPS will be delivering the HD today, so, will try the upgrade tomorrow. I see some posts where the WDidle3 command was being asked to run on the new HD. Is this still needed??


Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
If you're going to use a PC at work, make sure it doesn't have a GigaByte brand motherboard and that you can open it up without getting fired.

(If it does have a GigaByte board, there are precautions to be taken)

You should disconnect the SATA data cable from the work PC's hard drive to protect it from any "ooopsies", and you can use it and the power cable for one of the drives. You shouldn't actually remove the drive, just disconnect the cables and do the work with your 2 hard drives lying on the table next to the open case and an armed guard nearby to keep everyone else away from it.

You'll need a power and data cable for the other one, and you can't use the CD or DVD drive's, because you have to use it to boot from the jmfs cd.

The PC may have unused power connectors, but very likely won't have an unused SATA data cable inside, even if it has an unused SATA header on the motherboard.

So basically you're going to need to open it up and see what you've got to work with one day and then maybe do the actual work the next after picking up some cables.

What you could possibly do is hook up one drive with the cables the PC's drive uses and hook up the other drive via some sort of USB connection, depending on what you get your hands on.

If it's a "brand" PC, like Dell, Compaq/HP, etc, it won't have a GigaByte board, but if it was put together at a screwdriver shop it might. If it does, the first hard drive it "sees" when it first boots up, almost certainly the one it boots from that has Windows on it, will have to remain connected to keep the board from trying to put a Host Protected Area on any other hard drive that gets attached. It does this to have a place to put some sort of backup on, but it does it without warning or notice and there's no way to turn it off in the BIOS settings. This will either screw up an already formatted drive, or steal space at the end of an unformatted one.

Also you need to go into the BIOS and make sure it's set to boot from cd before it boots from a hard drive, and if it's not you need to remember to change it back to the way it was when you're done.

sean584995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:03 PM   #1902
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean584995 View Post
Thanks Unitron!!!!I was able to find a PC with an unused power and SATA ports that I can use for the new 2TB drive. I'm going to disconnect the main HDD and connect its power and SATA to the drive from TIVO. UPS will be delivering the HD today, so, will try the upgrade tomorrow. I see some posts where the WDidle3 command was being asked to run on the new HD. Is this still needed??
I just brought a WD20EURS in off of the porch, waiting for it to reach room temp before continuing, will see if it needs wdidle3 or not, but it's available on the hard drives-device info and management menu of the Ultimate Boot CD, a copy of which is a good thing to keep handy, so you could try it and if it doesn't need it, no harm done.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:05 PM   #1903
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean584995 View Post
Thanks Unitron!!!!I was able to find a PC with an unused power and SATA ports that I can use for the new 2TB drive. I'm going to disconnect the main HDD and connect its power and SATA to the drive from TIVO. UPS will be delivering the HD today, so, will try the upgrade tomorrow. I see some posts where the WDidle3 command was being asked to run on the new HD. Is this still needed??
Remember, this WD drive you're getting isn't going to come with a SATA data cable, so be sure you have an extra one available.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:27 PM   #1904
sean584995
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Remember, this WD drive you're getting isn't going to come with a SATA data cable, so be sure you have an extra one available.
Unitron,
couple more questions. During the copy/expand process, I'm assuming the jmfs live cd software is not going to alter the source TIVO drive? Is 'supersizing' a separate option that can be run or is that part of the copy/expand? Thanks.
EDIT: is there a good program to run diagnostics on the new WD20EURS drive before using it with jmfs??

Last edited by sean584995 : 12-27-2012 at 03:45 PM.
sean584995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:03 PM   #1905
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean584995 View Post
Unitron,
couple more questions. During the copy/expand process, I'm assuming the jmfs live cd software is not going to alter the source TIVO drive? Is 'supersizing' a separate option that can be run or is that part of the copy/expand? Thanks.
EDIT: is there a good program to run diagnostics on the new WD20EURS drive before using it with jmfs??
The Ultimate Boot CD has the WD diagnostic software on it (along with the same for several other brands), and wdidle3

Download the .iso and burn it as an image to a cd-r, just like you need to do with the jmfs cd .iso image.

jmfs should be able to detect the original 320GB Premiere drive as a TiVo drive, and make a note to itself that it's read only.

Be sure when you specify the target drive, that you're sure you've selected the WD20EURS.

jmfs will "Xerox" the original Premiere drive to it and then expand into the extra space by creating an MFS Media partition, and after it does that you can tell it to supersize.

It'll take you through the whole thing step by step by step by...well, there're only 3 steps, including supersizing.

Go back and read

USAGE BASIC

in the first post of this thread

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...47#post8143047

As for the WD diagnostic software, run the short test first (5 minutes), and then if no problem the long test (all day, 8 to 12 hours or so on a drive that large--2TB).

So it may take you two days, one to run the long test, and another half day to do the jmfs voodoo.

And run wdidle3 first to get it out of the way in case it is neccessary.

Have the 2TB be the only hard drive connected when you run it.

It's a DOS command line thing, so


wdidle3 /D

should disable it (you have to hit the Enter key after typing that in), and if it doesn't like the /D switch, then

wdidle3 /S 300

should set it for 300 seconds (five minutes), which is just as good as disabled from the TiVo standpoint.

What you're trying to avoid is a situation where, if the TiVo reboots, it spends so much time on other stuff before it tries to load anything from the hard drive that the hard drive thinks it's not needed and goes to sleep, which means it doesn't respond fast enough when the TiVo calls on it, which makes the TiVo think there's a problem, so it reboots, at which point the hard drive isn't being talked to so it goes back to sleep so it's not ready when the TiVo is, lather, rinse, repeat.

And if it doesn't need Intellipark disabled no harm will be done to the drive (but remember, it tries to do all connected drives at the same time, so make sure the 2TB is the only one connected for that step.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:45 PM   #1906
sean584995
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 12
Thanks Unitron for your guidance. The cloning seems successful. Will put in the new disk in my tivo when I get home tonight. My fingers crossed...
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
The Ultimate Boot CD has the WD diagnostic software on it (along with the same for several other brands), and wdidle3

Download the .iso and burn it as an image to a cd-r, just like you need to do with the jmfs cd .iso image.

jmfs should be able to detect the original 320GB Premiere drive as a TiVo drive, and make a note to itself that it's read only.

Be sure when you specify the target drive, that you're sure you've selected the WD20EURS.

jmfs will "Xerox" the original Premiere drive to it and then expand into the extra space by creating an MFS Media partition, and after it does that you can tell it to supersize.

It'll take you through the whole thing step by step by step by...well, there're only 3 steps, including supersizing.

Go back and read

USAGE BASIC

in the first post of this thread

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...47#post8143047

As for the WD diagnostic software, run the short test first (5 minutes), and then if no problem the long test (all day, 8 to 12 hours or so on a drive that large--2TB).

So it may take you two days, one to run the long test, and another half day to do the jmfs voodoo.

And run wdidle3 first to get it out of the way in case it is neccessary.

Have the 2TB be the only hard drive connected when you run it.

It's a DOS command line thing, so


wdidle3 /D

should disable it (you have to hit the Enter key after typing that in), and if it doesn't like the /D switch, then

wdidle3 /S 300

should set it for 300 seconds (five minutes), which is just as good as disabled from the TiVo standpoint.

What you're trying to avoid is a situation where, if the TiVo reboots, it spends so much time on other stuff before it tries to load anything from the hard drive that the hard drive thinks it's not needed and goes to sleep, which means it doesn't respond fast enough when the TiVo calls on it, which makes the TiVo think there's a problem, so it reboots, at which point the hard drive isn't being talked to so it goes back to sleep so it's not ready when the TiVo is, lather, rinse, repeat.

And if it doesn't need Intellipark disabled no harm will be done to the drive (but remember, it tries to do all connected drives at the same time, so make sure the 2TB is the only one connected for that step.

sean584995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:15 PM   #1907
DM3MD157
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 73
Update: So far the Seagate Barracuda drive seems to be working fine. I don't see any issues in playback or recording. Right now the MBT is 35 degrees (Normal).

So should I be still worried about using this drive despite it being 7200 RPM?
DM3MD157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:00 PM   #1908
jmbach
Registered User
 
jmbach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 688
As long as everything is functioning and temperature is fine you should be okay. For the most part I do not believe that the TiVo stresses the drives enough to cause problems. The AV drives are designed to handle 20 or more simultaneous video streams. We use 3 or 5 at most.

Jim

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
__________________
"Delay is preferable to error" - Thomas Jefferson
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants" - Sir Isaac Newton
jmbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:22 PM   #1909
ggieseke
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,919
I will buy you a WD20EURS and have it shipped to your door if you agree to send me the ST32000641AS in return. Daddy's RAID needs more drives...

Seriously, I wouldn't sweat it at all if the temps are good. I have run "AV" drives and "desktop" drives in my TiVos for years and never noticed any difference.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:21 PM   #1910
sean584995
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 12
ya h o o oo oo. I've successfully upgraded my TIVO to 2 TB drive.
UNITRON, Thanks so much for your prompt responses without which I would not have ordered the drive from newegg. Carefully wrapped up my original drive and shelved it. Thanks again...
sean584995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:05 PM   #1911
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean584995 View Post
ya h o o oo oo. I've successfully upgraded my TIVO to 2 TB drive.
UNITRON, Thanks so much for your prompt responses without which I would not have ordered the drive from newegg. Carefully wrapped up my original drive and shelved it. Thanks again...
Enjoy!
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:43 PM   #1912
Davelnlr_
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: North Little Rock
Posts: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by DM3MD157 View Post
Update: So far the Seagate Barracuda drive seems to be working fine. I don't see any issues in playback or recording. Right now the MBT is 35 degrees (Normal).

So should I be still worried about using this drive despite it being 7200 RPM?
Ive been running the Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm drive in my Premier for a year, no issues at all.
Davelnlr_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:33 AM   #1913
MrQblets
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Richmond, VA, USA
Posts: 2
Dear Lord 'unitron': I promise you I have genuinly already scanned as well as searched through the current 64 pages of this thread (and many, many other threads for that matter) to try and find this answer prior to this post, so please forgive me if it's already been asked and/or answered. But here's the situation:

>Currently own:
-TiVo HD TCD652160 that I've upgraded to 1Tb (int only)
-TiVo HDXL TCD658000 with a 1Tb DVR Expander hanging off it for a total 2Tb/300HD hours capacity. This has been my primary unit and the capacity has been perfect over the past couple a years

>I have a TiVo Premiere TCD746320 and WD20EURS both being delivered either today (hopefully) or Wednesday

>My intention is for the new Premiere to completely takeover the duties of my existing HDXL TCD658000 listed above which currently has 1Tb Int + 1Tb Ext
(The HDXL will then be brought up here to the Mancave to takeover for the HD/1Tb unit which I'll then probably just offload on eBay or something)

Ok, so here's the question/concern:
Q: Will I be able to copy the combo 'Married' pair of 1TbInt+1TbExt drives from the TCD658000 to just the single WE20EURS which is to be my new, upgraded drive for the new Premiere TCD746320???

PLEASE SAY "YES" .... PLEASE SAY THE 'JMFS' (or something else) WILL RECOGNIZE THE 'MARRIED' PAIR OF DRIVES .....
MrQblets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:29 PM   #1914
lpwcomp
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: John's Creek, Georgia
Posts: 4,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQblets View Post
Dear Lord 'unitron': I promise you I have genuinly already scanned as well as searched through the current 64 pages of this thread (and many, many other threads for that matter) to try and find this answer prior to this post, so please forgive me if it's already been asked and/or answered. But here's the situation:

>Currently own:
-TiVo HD TCD652160 that I've upgraded to 1Tb (int only)
-TiVo HDXL TCD658000 with a 1Tb DVR Expander hanging off it for a total 2Tb/300HD hours capacity. This has been my primary unit and the capacity has been perfect over the past couple a years

>I have a TiVo Premiere TCD746320 and WD20EURS both being delivered either today (hopefully) or Wednesday

>My intention is for the new Premiere to completely takeover the duties of my existing HDXL TCD658000 listed above which currently has 1Tb Int + 1Tb Ext
(The HDXL will then be brought up here to the Mancave to takeover for the HD/1Tb unit which I'll then probably just offload on eBay or something)

Ok, so here's the question/concern:
Q: Will I be able to copy the combo 'Married' pair of 1TbInt+1TbExt drives from the TCD658000 to just the single WE20EURS which is to be my new, upgraded drive for the new Premiere TCD746320???

PLEASE SAY "YES" .... PLEASE SAY THE 'JMFS' (or something else) WILL RECOGNIZE THE 'MARRIED' PAIR OF DRIVES .....
The only way to copy the recordings is via a transfer, either direct TiVo-to-TiVo or TiVo-PC-TiVo. If the recordings are copy protected, you are SOL. There is absolutely no way to do it the way you want to do it.

You'll need JMFS to copy, expand and supersize the 320GB to the 2TB drive but that is it.

There is not, never has been, and likely never will be a way to do what you want to do.
__________________
James L. Sutherland
"You know TiVo users. Bunch of b****y little girls" TiVoAxe

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:29 PM   #1915
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQblets View Post
Dear Lord 'unitron': I promise you I have genuinly already scanned as well as searched through the current 64 pages of this thread (and many, many other threads for that matter) to try and find this answer prior to this post, so please forgive me if it's already been asked and/or answered. But here's the situation:

>Currently own:
-TiVo HD TCD652160 that I've upgraded to 1Tb (int only)
-TiVo HDXL TCD658000 with a 1Tb DVR Expander hanging off it for a total 2Tb/300HD hours capacity. This has been my primary unit and the capacity has been perfect over the past couple a years

>I have a TiVo Premiere TCD746320 and WD20EURS both being delivered either today (hopefully) or Wednesday

>My intention is for the new Premiere to completely takeover the duties of my existing HDXL TCD658000 listed above which currently has 1Tb Int + 1Tb Ext
(The HDXL will then be brought up here to the Mancave to takeover for the HD/1Tb unit which I'll then probably just offload on eBay or something)

Ok, so here's the question/concern:
Q: Will I be able to copy the combo 'Married' pair of 1TbInt+1TbExt drives from the TCD658000 to just the single WE20EURS which is to be my new, upgraded drive for the new Premiere TCD746320???

PLEASE SAY "YES" .... PLEASE SAY THE 'JMFS' (or something else) WILL RECOGNIZE THE 'MARRIED' PAIR OF DRIVES .....
Royalty or nobility I ain't.

Each model of the TiVo has it's own version of the software, so you can't control an S4 with S3 drives or the stuff on them.

In order to get shows from either S3 to the new Premiere, which is an S4, you need to copy them, via your home network that the TiVos already use to download guide data, to a computer (to a partition formatted with a file system that handles files larger than 4GB) via TiVo Desktop or one of the other methods you'll find discussed here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...splay.php?f=35


or you can copy them straight from the S3 to the S4 over your home network, but you can't hook S3 drives and the S4 drive (or drive to be) up to a PC and copy off shows that way, and hooking up the S4 drive to a PC and booting into anything other than the jmfs cd is not recommended.

Also, if you use a GigaByte brand motherboard, there are certain precautions which need to be taken.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:47 PM   #1916
DM3MD157
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 73
I think I have given up on my SD-H400 TiVo, it is a series 2, can I transfer recordings to my Premiere via my home network?
DM3MD157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:51 PM   #1917
MrQblets
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Richmond, VA, USA
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Royalty or nobility I ain't.

Each model of the TiVo has it's own version of the software, so you can't control an S4 with S3 drives or the stuff on them.

In order to get shows from either S3 to the new Premiere, which is an S4, you need to copy them, via your home network that the TiVos already use to download guide data, to a computer (to a partition formatted with a file system that handles files larger than 4GB) via TiVo Desktop or one of the other methods you'll find discussed here:

{url omitted}

or you can copy them straight from the S3 to the S4 over your home network, but you can't hook S3 drives and the S4 drive (or drive to be) up to a PC and copy off shows that way, and hooking up the S4 drive to a PC and booting into anything other than the jmfs cd is not recommended.

Also, if you use a GigaByte brand motherboard, there are certain precautions which need to be taken.
Tks fur the quick replies gents! Of course not the answers that I wanted, but sometimes the truth is not kind.

From the OS standpoint; That was going to be phase two of my inquiry because I remember that (back in the day using MFSLive and/or WinMFS) I was not able to move the drive from my HD160 directly into the HDXL once I had added that one to the family. My hope was that with the since introduction of a new tool (JMFS) perhaps that had also been resolved and the move from a S3 to S4 would be kinda turn-key if ya know what I mean. C'est la vie ...

Well, God bless gigabit networks, eh? Looks as though mines gonna be breathin' pretty hard for the next good while.

Incidentally ... A happy New Years to y'allz!!! Be Safe!
MrQblets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:53 PM   #1918
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 13,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by DM3MD157 View Post
I think I have given up on my SD-H400 TiVo, it is a series 2, can I transfer recordings to my Premiere via my home network?
Unfotunately, the satellite TiVos don't network the way the standalones do.

EDIT: Ooops!, I got confused, that's a Toshiba DVD machine, and according to tivopedia it does do networking, so you'll need something that plugs into one of it's USB ports and does ethernet, either wired or wireless.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011

Last edited by unitron : 12-31-2012 at 12:59 PM.
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:04 PM   #1919
DM3MD157
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 73
I tried following these instructions: http://www.tivo.com/mytivo/howto/rec...hows_dvrs.html

For some reason, the SD-H400 isn't showing up in the "My Shows" list on the Premiere. The TiVos are both networked to my home network. When doing the Guided Setup on the SD-H400, it never asks you to name the DVR (e.g. Bedroom DVR). I wonder if this is a limitation on TiVo Basic?
DM3MD157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:18 PM   #1920
lpwcomp
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: John's Creek, Georgia
Posts: 4,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by DM3MD157 View Post
I tried following these instructions: http://www.tivo.com/mytivo/howto/rec...hows_dvrs.html

For some reason, the SD-H400 isn't showing up in the "My Shows" list on the Premiere. The TiVos are both networked to my home network. When doing the Guided Setup on the SD-H400, it never asks you to name the DVR (e.g. Bedroom DVR). I wonder if this is a limitation on TiVo Basic?
You assign TiVo names at tivo.com. Log into your account, select My Tivo->My Account->Change device preferences. This is also where you enable video sharing.
__________________
James L. Sutherland
"You know TiVo users. Bunch of b****y little girls" TiVoAxe

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:11 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |