TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-23-2012, 08:20 PM   #931
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Restarting hasn't been an issue for Jacksonville, and posts here suggest that the freezing problem is fixed.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:34 PM   #932
RickySharon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel View Post
Restarting hasn't been an issue for Jacksonville, and posts here suggest that the freezing problem is fixed.
Just got off the phone with teck they said there still working on the freezing and pixelation problen in jacksonville Fl . I guess i get two weeks with no locals to go with the two weeks of restarts.
RickySharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:04 PM   #933
litzdog911
TechKnow Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickySharon View Post
Just got off the phone with teck they said there still working on the freezing and pixelation problen in jacksonville Fl . I guess i get two weeks with no locals to go with the two weeks of restarts.
You might want to start a new thread and provide your satellite signal readings. We've had a couple of folks report continued "freeze" and reboot issues, and the problem turned out to be poor satellite reception.
HR10-250 HD DVR 400GB (v6.4a)
H21-200 HD Receiver
R10 DVR 160GB (v6.4a)
litzdog911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:16 PM   #934
cwerdna
Proud Tivolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by litzdog911 View Post
They're supposed to credit $10. But some folks have called and gotten better compensation.
I dropped by my parents' house and plugged their DirecTiVo (Hughes HDVR2) back in. I turned on 30 second skip and will be checking in a few days to see if it's still on. I wouldn't be surprised if there are a few reboots between now and when I check again...

Their answering machine did have a robocall from D* w/an apology about the known software issue and mentioned they'll be receiving a $10 credit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPalmer View Post
Swapped out HDs to test, again as with others no rhyme or reason for reboots. Unit always protected by UPS. 1/2 tempted to call DTV for the THR22, but I hate the way TCM shows up on my 4:3 TV when using a HD receiver, hoping to HD it for Xmas.
My reboots seem to be at :52 past the hour.

Nov 12 01:52:36 (none) Thread ApgReader[225]: build b-6-4-prod @299218 2008.05.08-0010 release-mips []
Nov 12 01:52:36 (none) Thread ApgReader[225]: pack 6.4a-01-2
Nov 12 01:52:36 (none) Thread ApgReader[225]: read 0x00400000 /tvbin/tivoapp
Nov 12 01:52:36 (none) Thread ApgReader[225]: read 0x02000000 /lib/libc.so.6
Nov 12 01:52:36 (none) Thread ApgReader[225]: read 0x02200000 /lib/libm.so.6
Nov 12 01:52:37 (none) Thread ApgReader[225]: read 0x02400000 /lib/libpthread.so.0
Nov 12 01:52:37 (none) Thread ApgReader[225]: 0x00bf6a90 0x010fef4c 0x010e95cc 0x00bebc54 0x00beabc4 0x00bee42c 0x00bee260 0x00bed6d8 0x00bed624 0x02a3c41c 0x02a3b978
Nov 12 01:52:37 (none) Thread ApgReader[225]: Tmk Fatal Error: Thread ApgReader <225>: unexpected signal 11
Nov 12 01:52:37 (none) Thread ApgReader[225]: Tmk Fatal Error: Thread died due to signal 11
Nov 12 01:52:37 (none) Thread ApgReader[225]: Invoking rule 834: rebooting system
How are you guys viewing the logs? I recall that from http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=122090 and lots of discussion in the past, nobody knows the backdoor password after software version 3.2.

I used to have Series 1s and would enable backdoors and have looked at all of the logs in the past.
cwerdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:09 AM   #935
FastMHz
Mad Scientist

Hi everyone....everything was working well for a couple of days, and now my SAT-T60 has taken to rebooting multiple times again. Last night, it rebooted 4 times in an hour while trying to watch a pre-recorded show. Unplugged the sat cable and it worked fine. Has the problem returned for any other Series1 users?

EDIT: Just plugged my sat cable back in and it rebooted within 3 minutes. Grrrrrrrrrr

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by FastMHz : 11-24-2012 at 11:17 AM.
FastMHz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:06 PM   #936
gsjenkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastMHz View Post
Hi everyone....everything was working well for a couple of days, and now my SAT-T60 has taken to rebooting multiple times again. Last night, it rebooted 4 times in an hour while trying to watch a pre-recorded show. Unplugged the sat cable and it worked fine. Has the problem returned for any other Series1 users?
Crossing fingers, but no reboots in 2 days 7.5 hours.

HDVR2 40 hours
Samsung SIR-S4080R 216 hours
Philips DSR7000 176 hours
gsjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:46 PM   #937
gansemer

On the phone with Directv right now about the insulting $10 credit for 10 days of unwatchable service (on my $90/month service). They are checking on when I first reported the problem... apparently this determines how 'inconvenienced' I was. Like many, I spent a few days under the assumption my hardware was dying. Good thing I called in to register the problem just in case of such nonsense. After several minutes of back and forth they offered to credit my account from the day I called (18th) to the end of my billing cycle. Since this turned out to be the 21st, that amounts to... you guessed it, $10. As I have UVerse install scheduled for Tuesday, I wasn't interested in hassling with them any more. All I really wanted was credit for the 10 days ($30). What kind of sleazy company would inadvertently cause a problem and then try to take advantage of it to sell new hardware and lock customers into new 2 year agreements. I doubt Dish and UVerse are any better, but at least that haven't lied to me or insulted me yet. After 12 years I am out.
gansemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:04 PM   #938
DougF

Dish installer is here now. Suck it, DirecTV.
DougF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:27 PM   #939
litzdog911
TechKnow Guide

Quote:

EDIT: Just plugged my sat cable back in and it rebooted within 3 minutes. Grrrrrrrrrr
Hard drive dying? Probably best to start your own new thread here. I haven't seen other reports yet of the problem returning.
H21-200 HD Receiver
R10 DVR 160GB (v6.4a)
Old 11-24-2012, 06:16 PM   #940
FastMHz
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by litzdog911 View Post
Hard drive dying? Probably best to start your own new thread here. I haven't seen other reports yet of the problem returning.
Just put a new drive in when the reboot problem began. The problem returned after I let it dial up for the first time in 4 years, and it went from software 3.5c to 3.5d. Works fine and doesn't reboot as long as sat cable is unplugged. I have access to a free S2 box and will probably end up switching out, but that stinks because my 10 year old SAT-T60 has all my thumb preferences and such.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:34 AM   #941
cwerdna
Proud Tivolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by gansemer View Post
On the phone with Directv right now about the insulting $10 credit for 10 days of unwatchable service (on my $90/month service). They are checking on when I first reported the problem... apparently this determines how 'inconvenienced' I was. Like many, I spent a few days under the assumption my hardware was dying. Good thing I called in to register the problem just in case of such nonsense. After several minutes of back and forth they offered to credit my account from the day I called (18th) to the end of my billing cycle. Since this turned out to be the 21st, that amounts to... you guessed it, $10.
That's a bummer. People who have replaced their stock drives (and know better) usually assume that reboots = dying drive, since that's the most common symptom for a dying drive. So, they probably wouldn't be calling D*.

My parents are horrible w/technology and have no means of testing their drive. And, pulling their DTiVo to test the drives means it being out of action for awhile. Them going on a cruise on 11/20 was a good time since they couldn't use it while away anyhow.
cwerdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:21 AM   #942
FastMHz
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Just put a new drive in when the reboot problem began. The problem returned after I let it dial up for the first time in 4 years, and it went from software 3.5c to 3.5d. Works fine and doesn't reboot as long as sat cable is unplugged. I have access to a free S2 box and will probably end up switching out, but that stinks because my 10 year old SAT-T60 has all my thumb preferences and such.
The SAT-T60 has stopped rebooting as of yesterday evening. *fingers crossed*

Old 11-25-2012, 10:23 AM   #943
TopCat99
TiVo addict

Just thought I'd throw a "me too!" reply into the mix.

HDVR and R10 here. The HDVR seems to be almost behaving itself now--only two reboots since Friday, but the R10 is still a tad wonky.

After reading here that many units were fixed, I called to see why mine weren't and to ask for the $10 bill credit. I was told that this wasn't known issue and I should schedule a service call at my expense. When I mentioned the (at the time) 913 posts here, I was placed on a five-minute hold followed by "Someone will call you shortly about compensation." He then wanted to set up a service call for a tech to come in and verify I really do have rebooting units. He also offered to "upgrade" my TiVos to a plain jane DTV box for free but with a 1-year commitment. I declined. I don't want to downgrade, nor do I want to replace the TiVos. I just want them both fixed

Still no call regarding a bill credit, however.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:31 AM   #944
DougF

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfixit454 View Post
Let us know how you like it, and how the equipment all hooks up.
Had it for two days now and so far I like it. I got the Hopper and three Joeys. Easy install since I already had cable everywhere I wanted it. It only needs one cable run to each room, so I now have an extra cable in each. It is three-tuner when not using Prime Time Anytime, which I am not planning to use. HD quality is not quite up to OTA, but still very good.

Some might consider this an issue but it's not for us. Only three of the stations can watch Live TV at any given time. For one, we are not Live TV watchers. Also, I think it will be pretty rare for us to have four TVs on at once.

Haven't done much with the network capabilities yet. I only have ethernet to two of the rooms involved. Gonna do the others shortly. I was able to play stuff from my media server using Orb. Plex is supposed to work, but it hasn't for me yet.

This wasn't a deal-breaker, but no Sprout (PBS Kids) channel. I was told in chat last week that they did have this, but I failed to confirm it for myself.

All in all, very happy with things so far. Sorry to leave DirecTV after all this time, but not sorry that I got into this setup for free.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:33 PM   #945
fooz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougF View Post
Dish installer is here now. Suck it, DirecTV.
Excellent choice, you won't regret it.

I made the same move back in April 2012 when my 3 Tivos lost all locals and DirecTV was unable to get it fixed and unwilling to upgrade me (until after I cancelled, now they are willing to give me more than I ever wanted in order to come back)
fooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:13 PM   #946
CentPacRR

Hmmm after six days of stable operation I just had a spontaneous reboot at 9:49PM EST on my HR10-250. Anyone else have one too? Perhaps they are messing with the APG coding again which is causing a return of the buffer overrun issue on Series 2 machines.

UPDATE: No more reboots since the one on Monday night. I'm guessing it could be that DirecTV/TiVo are tweaking the APG code stream and may have made a test transmission on Monday night that caused a buffer overun on my HR10-250. They are probably continuing to fiddle with it so that it works with the new machines but does not overload the RAM of the Series 1 and 2 devices without having to create and distribute a new software update beyond 6.4a.

Last edited by CentPacRR : 11-28-2012 at 02:38 PM.
CentPacRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:29 PM   #947
gsjenkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentPacRR View Post
Hmmm after six days of stable operation I just had a spontaneous reboot at 9:49PM EST on my HR10-250. Anyone else have one too? Perhaps they are messing with the APG again which is causing a return of the buffer overrun issue on Series 2 machines.
All my units rebooted at the same time, almost exactly 3:30 AM central time this morning. Hopefully it was just an "adjustment".

HDVR2 40 hours
Samsung SIR-S4080R 216 hours
Philips DSR7000 176 hours
gsjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:49 PM   #948
gansemer

Uverse just Installed this morning. HD picture quality is very good over cat5e. I was worried about losing the dual live buffer but so far It's not bothering me.

Last edited by gansemer : 11-27-2012 at 10:28 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:59 AM   #949
laddanator

I have a R10 Tivo and A SD-DVR40 and the rebooting problem seems to be fix but I am having some serious hiccup issues. About 50 times a day both boxes will kinda freeze like when you get a heavy rain but will correct itself. Anybody else having this issue? Maybe I need to repoint-repeak the dish?
laddanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:03 PM   #950
nmiller855

Sadly, the "fix" didn't fix my 2 locals that got lost a few months ago on my Sat-t60 I'm happy that I'm not getting the rebooting anymore & still have my local station season passes on my Hughes unit.
nmiller855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:18 PM   #951
tomluoma

(I have questions at the end)

The resetting does seem to be fixed for us in Montana. However....

We still do not have complete guide info. Right now the guide goes out till the 11th of Dec.

If you go to "Pick Programs to Record" there has has been a message since they "fixed" the resetting that says "Aquiring guide data...etc May take another 24hrs".

The bigger problem is signal dropouts. It comes and goes and the unit will sometimes report it can't find a signal on Sat 2.

Just going in and out of Sat Signal test seems to fix it and signal strength is in the 80's. What is more odd is if you go to System Test it will sometimes report Sat 1 is 85 and Sat 2 is is 40 or so. But the Strength is still high.

The dropouts seem to be mostly on the Networks and the West stations at that. PBS, NBCW, etc.

DTV will not ack a problem.

Does anyone know if it is possible for the Signal Strength Test to show good strength but it actually bad and that is why the System Test sometimes shows a bad Sat strength?

DTV says I'm on Sat 99 but my system says 101 -- what's up?

Why does the transponder number I select keep changing?

Is there any point to the Signal Strength Test other than dish pointing?
tomluoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:28 PM   #952
ronsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomluoma View Post
(I have questions at the end)

The resetting does seem to be fixed for us in Montana. However....

We still do not have complete guide info. Right now the guide goes out till the 11th of Dec.

If you go to "Pick Programs to Record" there has has been a message since they "fixed" the resetting that says "Aquiring guide data...etc May take another 24hrs".

The bigger problem is signal dropouts. It comes and goes and the unit will sometimes report it can't find a signal on Sat 2.

Just going in and out of Sat Signal test seems to fix it and signal strength is in the 80's. What is more odd is if you go to System Test it will sometimes report Sat 1 is 85 and Sat 2 is is 40 or so. But the Strength is still high.

The dropouts seem to be mostly on the Networks and the West stations at that. PBS, NBCW, etc.

DTV will not ack a problem.

Does anyone know if it is possible for the Signal Strength Test to show good strength but it actually bad and that is why the System Test sometimes shows a bad Sat strength?

DTV says I'm on Sat 99 but my system says 101 -- what's up?

Why does the transponder number I select keep changing?

Is there any point to the Signal Strength Test other than dish pointing?
I can't speak to your satellite strength issue but the guide data shouldn't go beyond December 11th as of right now.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:20 PM   #953
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
Actually, you're doing well if it goes to the 11th now! It is typically only 10-11 days out.

And yes, it is indeed possible for the signal strength meters to show fine but the test fail. That happened for me. In the end DirecTV sent out a tech who replaced my dish and many of the connections - it works fine now.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:32 AM   #954
ronsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel View Post
Actually, you're doing well if it goes to the 11th now! It is typically only 10-11 days out.

And yes, it is indeed possible for the signal strength meters to show fine but the test fail. That happened for me. In the end DirecTV sent out a tech who replaced my dish and many of the connections - it works fine now.
My DSR6000 has been very consistent.

For example, at 9:00 PM Wednesday the 28th I would see data through about 7:00 PM on the 11th, at least on some channels.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:06 PM   #955
msommer
Card's Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougF View Post
Had it for two days now and so far I like it. I got the Hopper and three Joeys. Easy install since I already had cable everywhere I wanted it. It only needs one cable run to each room, so I now have an extra cable in each. It is three-tuner when not using Prime Time Anytime, which I am not planning to use. HD quality is not quite up to OTA, but still very good.

Some might consider this an issue but it's not for us. Only three of the stations can watch Live TV at any given time. For one, we are not Live TV watchers. Also, I think it will be pretty rare for us to have four TVs on at once.

Haven't done much with the network capabilities yet. I only have ethernet to two of the rooms involved. Gonna do the others shortly. I was able to play stuff from my media server using Orb. Plex is supposed to work, but it hasn't for me yet.

This wasn't a deal-breaker, but no Sprout (PBS Kids) channel. I was told in chat last week that they did have this, but I failed to confirm it for myself.

All in all, very happy with things so far. Sorry to leave DirecTV after all this time, but not sorry that I got into this setup for free.
I'm thinking about making the switch to Dish as well. One of the things I always liked about the DTIVO was the extensive information available for series episodes - original air date for reruns, etc. How does Dish compare in that respect? Also, is there any type of dual tuner buffering for live TV?
Old 11-30-2012, 10:46 AM   #956
DougF

I'll try to get a couple of pics of series info tonight or tomorrow.

As for the buffer, we do almost no live TV watching so I haven't used it. The tech told me that it was an hour and there are three tuners.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:39 PM   #957
DougF

Old 12-03-2012, 09:54 PM   #958
gansemer

After living with uVerse for a week, I called DirecTV to cancel. They offered me a free Genie but for some reason did not want to provide me with a mini client for the second room. They offered me a HD receiver as an alternative which was "better" in some way I didn't understand. As a TIVO lifetime subscriber (12 years) it was still going to cost me an additional $10/month for HD and $3/month for whole home DVR plus $49 installation fee. No offer of bill reduction at all.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:33 AM   #959
laddanator

Hey guys. I am having a small issue that seem to start with the rebooting. The rebooting issue is fixed on my R10 but every fem minutes it will freeze up like it does when it rains outside and its annoying. I have repoint and peaked the dish so I know that's not an issue. Also replaced the HDD. Any ideas?
laddanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:39 PM   #960
litzdog911
TechKnow Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by laddanator View Post
Hey guys. I am having a small issue that seem to start with the rebooting. The rebooting issue is fixed on my R10 but every fem minutes it will freeze up like it does when it rains outside and its annoying. I have repoint and peaked the dish so I know that's not an issue. Also replaced the HDD. Any ideas?
Probably best to start your own new thread since your problem is not related to the "random reboot" issue that affected folks here.
H21-200 HD Receiver
R10 DVR 160GB (v6.4a)