Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-02-2012, 08:57 AM   #1
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Hacking the TiVo Stream?

So, has anyone had a go at this at all?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:07 AM   #2
section128drunk

Just got mine today, I can't image a reality where someone doesn't come up with a pc based way to forward the stream or a VPN
section128drunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 01:12 PM   #3
berkinet

Well, now we have the stream-in-a-roamio and still, it doesn't seem anyone has made any progress on some 'creative' alternate stream receivers.

There had been options for Mplayer and VLC to play streams from the TiVo, but that required vserver. Those hacks don't work with the official 'streams' and I doubt server will even run on newer TiVos. Besides, what's the point of adding a stream server to a product that already contains one.

Or... have my countless searches simply been poorly constructed and there is really something out there that will let me receive a stream on a desktop platform.
berkinet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 01:20 AM   #4
berkinet

No sooner did I post the preceding than I found this thread. While this neat little hack uses the older MPEG (I.e. I am not using the output of the stream), I am able to view video direct from the DVR on my Mac in VLC.
berkinet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:36 AM   #5
telemark

To do what though?

This has some pin analysis:
http://www.kernellabs.com/blog/?p=1987

There's a Tivo GPL release on tivo.com for it, but is long out of date.

It appears to use Roamio (intel) byte ordering. But it has a different bootloader and kernel (compiler?). Most likely they're using the code base from the Zenverge reference platform for the lower levels.

The Roamio Pro/+ would be interesting to look at, cause if it only has one Flash chip, how are two processors booting from it.

Last edited by telemark : 07-24-2014 at 10:13 AM.
telemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:52 AM   #6
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by telemark View Post
To do what though?
1. Access the streams from something other than the TiVo iOS app.
2. Use the Stream to encode inputs other than TiVo recordings.
3. ???
4. Profit!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:46 AM   #7
telemark

Do we know what Mini<->Tivo or Stream<->Tivo communication looks like?Might it be similar to what pytivo (HMO) or kmttg (mind) is using?

The Stream hardware has some kind of software signature check, even though it's coming from another hardware/software code base.

I'm thinking that it might be less work initially to emulate a Stream on unlocked hardware than to unlock a Stream box.

The [L]GPL release contains:
ffmpeg-0.10.3
ffmpeg-0.5

Consumer hardware with that chipset,
Tivo Stream
new SimpleTV
new SiliconDust
some Comcast X1 media gateways
Fios Media Server

Out of those, a Simple.TV is OTA so might be the most promising.

Was TS support ever fixed in tivodecode .3 or .4 patches?

Last edited by telemark : 07-25-2014 at 03:46 AM.
telemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:04 AM   #8
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Was TS support ever fixed in tivodecode .3 or .4 patches?
Not really.

Old 07-26-2014, 04:28 PM   #9
puffdaddy

This link provides a good overview.

Quote:
Do we know what Mini<->Tivo or Stream<->Tivo communication looks like?Might it be similar to what pytivo (HMO) or kmttg (mind) is using?
Both streams of communication use MindRPC calls inside TLS, I believe. I think the authentication level is certificate, but requires a "higher-level" certificate than that granted to the iOS app certificate, IIRC.

Quote:
The Stream hardware has some kind of software signature check, even though it's coming from another hardware/software code base.

I'm thinking that it might be less work initially to emulate a Stream on unlocked hardware than to unlock a Stream box.
Yes, there's image checking similar to what normal tivo's use. The stream runs a slimmed down version of the tivo's software (no UI, no recording code, only streaming and xcoding, and some other modifications).
puffdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote