TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-12-2012, 11:28 AM   #31
sharkster

I pretty much did NOT like Marcel at first, in his original TC season, but he really has grown on me. In addition to that, in this season of NIC, I am seeing that he is much more talented than I had previously thought.

I'm still miffed that Faulkner is gone so I cannot decide who I want to root for now.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:12 PM   #32
secondclaw

As much as I didn't like Faulkner's personality, she would have made an awesome Iron Chef. Rooting for Amanda but its likely Marcel or Alex who will win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkster View Post
I'm still miffed that Faulkner is gone so I cannot decide who I want to root for now.

secondclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:21 AM   #33
USAFSSO

Glad Mehta is gone. He acted like it was below him to even compete. Yes an arrogant attitude is need at this level, just not that much. Also he has no personality, at least on camera and they need to be able to be likable and put on a show if they are an Iron Chef.

With that said, Mercel would put on the best show with great food. Alex and Amanda are great Judges. I like Appleman would also be good, just a little reserved compared to Marcel.

If this thing is rigged in any kind of way, a woman will win. They need a female IC now that Cat Cora is gone.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
USAFSSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:32 AM   #34
sharkster

I figure they have a winner in mind, going in. As it turns out, however, I guess that winner is not the one I thought it was going to be. I figured they had Faulkner winning. I don't just figure that because I wanted her to win, but because she is the best of the bunch and because she really deserved it.

The more I thought about that episode when she departed, the more I think it was stacked against her. Initially, based on the impression from judging, I expected the two guys (Mehta & App) to be the bottom two. Then, when she was put in the bottom with one of them, I thought 'oh drat (or something like that)...she will pull through'. Then, watching THAT round of judging I still thought that she made it through. So, when she was axed, it was incomprehensible to me that she was chosen.

While I do like Alex, and always have, I just don't see her as IC material. She's just too damn whiney. Every single thing that is going to happen you get some whine from her like it's going to be the end of the freaking world. There's no whining in Iron Chef!

So, I'd like to see an Amanda and Marcel shoot out in the end.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:33 AM   #35
secondclaw

Completely agree on Mehta. There is that borderline between confidence and arrogance and I think he was crossing it a bit too much.

My money's still on Alex. The way she was profiled in the opening of 1st episode made it look like the show was about her, and considering how much she has done for FN (that's subjective I guess), they may think she deserves it. I don't really mind - I think she would do a good job as the IC. When I started watching Chopped, I didn't like her - especially some comments she made about contestants. But it seems like being a contestant on Chopped herself and then competing and loosing in Next Iron Chef gave her a different perspective and mellowed her out a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFSSO View Post
Glad Mehta is gone. He acted like it was below him to even compete. Yes an arrogant attitude is need at this level, just not that much. Also he has no personality, at least on camera and they need to be able to be likable and put on a show if they are an Iron Chef.

With that said, Mercel would put on the best show with great food. Alex and Amanda are great Judges. I like Appleman would also be good, just a little reserved compared to Marcel.

If this thing is rigged in any kind of way, a woman will win. They need a female IC now that Cat Cora is gone.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:01 PM   #36
MonsterJoe
waxing cynical

I don't see her as IC material.

She's the type of person whose recipe I would seek out for a Thanksgiving side dish. A very respectable endorsement from me - just not IC.

Marcel, since he's been on TV has pushed his boundaries. He's fearless.

Alex got excited about the bison (or was it buffalo?).

Marcel got excited about cow heads...that's IC.
MonsterJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:42 AM   #37
dylking
I've never farded

Wife and I cheered at Mehta's release.

I'm also starting to agree with some others' opinions about Alex. She's playing it too safe for Iron Chef material.

I'm still not into Nate, tho. I think, for now, my money's on Amanda.
dylking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:42 PM   #38
Dawghows

Amazing how completely differently you guys see Amanda and Alex in comparison to how my wife and I view them. We see Alex as cautious, yes. But Amanda seems to be constantly second-guessing herself; before, during, and after every challenge.

I have no idea which of them is the better chef, of course, never having eaten at either of their restaurants. It's just interesting that we have almost exactly the opposite feelings about the two of them as contestants from what I'm reading here.
Dawghows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:57 PM   #39
dylking
I've never farded

Well, now that we're down to the final three, I'm still betting it's going to be Amanda. Alex had technique problems that just can't be done at the iron chef level.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:56 PM   #40
Dawghows

I'll be comfortable with whoever wins out of these final three. Appleman is my least favorite, but he's clearly a great chef and a fierce competitor. Alex and Amanda are both fun to watch.

I don't think I could have watched Estes, Mendelsohn, Metha, or Vigneron on a regular basis if either of them would have won. I'm sure they're all excellent chefs, of course, or they would never have made it onto the show in the first place. But none of them seemed like personalities I would want to spend time with week in and week out.

I'd watch any of the remaining three.

BTW, in looking up how to spell Mendelsohn and Vigneron, I noticed there's a poll on the Next Iron Chef site. Is that going to have any bearing at all on the final result, or is it just an opinion poll plain and simple? (Current standings as of the time of this writing: Alex 52%, Amanda 36%, Nate 12%)
Dawghows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:08 PM   #41
NatasNJ
Bone marrow lover!

Ate at Estes restaurant last week (she was there). Solid entree but really a BAD dessert. Like sub olive garden level. When we left she was yapping with a couple people about her pig supplier and how she will only buy sustainable pig. Conversation went on for 10+ minutes easy.
NatasNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:25 AM   #42
terpfan1980
It's Just TV

TC CLUB MEMBER
It ended up about as I would have expected, but then again, not so much.

While I wasn't surprised by the winner, I think the competitor in the final 2 was the better chef throughout the competition. That said, I'm happy that both of the finalists made it that far and think both were good candidates for the next iron chef.
Xbox Live gamertag/PSN id: terpfan1980
terpfan1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:59 AM   #43
sharkster

I guess I wasn't surprised either, but I WAS rooting for the other chef. Oh well - I need to stop making picks because my picks, no matter what contest, never win. wah I'll survive. I just think they missed the opportunity, first a few weeks ago, then again last night, to have a truly amazing IC.

Well, actually, I chose Symon in the first NIC contest. I chose him in the very beginning of the season and Besh was my second pick. Guess I did well that year...just not so well since.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:46 AM   #44
secondclaw

No surprise here, though I hoped for Amanda to win. I predicted this outcome since the first episode based on how Alex was profiled back then. Of course it is possible she was profiled that way because the producers already knew the outcome after filming was done.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:34 PM   #45
dylking
I've never farded

It would have been interesting to see the 'scores', like on a regular Iron Chef show, to see how close those two really were.

Of course, how many Iron Chefs are there now? 42?
Old 12-25-2012, 02:55 AM   #46
GoHalos

I actually found myself rooting for Alex in the last battle, but I had been rooting for both of them throughout the competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylking View Post
Of course, how many Iron Chefs are there now? 42?
Acording to the official website , 8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Chef Website
Each week, world-class chefs battle the legendary Iron Chefs of America: Bobby Flay, Mario Batali, Masaharu Morimoto, Cat Cora, Jose Garces, Michael Symon, Marc Forgione and Geoffrey Zakarian.
Although, I haven't seen Cat Cora nor Mario Batali battling in a long time, and I'm not sure they are actually active Iron Chefs.
GoHalos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 04:53 AM   #47
jamesl

I would have preferred falkner

http://www.foodnetwork.com/chef-eliz...age/index.html

I thought Batali quit foodnetwork when they cut his cooking show

I saw Cat Cora on MasterChef as a guest chef 2 years ago I think
I don't remember seeing her on foodnetwork in a long time
jamesl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:31 AM   #48
justen_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesl View Post
I would have preferred falkner
Same here. I'd have preferred Freitag too.

Quote:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/chef-eliz...age/index.html

I thought Batali quit foodnetwork when they cut his cooking show

I saw Cat Cora on MasterChef as a guest chef 2 years ago I think
I don't remember seeing her on foodnetwork in a long time
Yeah, Batali and Cora seem to be gone from ICA.

Iron Chefs of America: Morimoto, Flay, Batali (gone?), Cora (gone?), Symon, Forgione, Garces, Zakarian, and now Guarnaschelli. While I like the show, adding an Iron Chef every year seems to... diminish the status of the originals.
justen_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 01:13 PM   #49
lambertman
Not single!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justen_m View Post
Iron Chefs of America: Morimoto, Flay, Batali (gone?), Cora (gone?), Symon, Forgione, Garces, Zakarian, and now Guarnaschelli. While I like the show, adding an Iron Chef every year seems to... diminish the status of the originals.
And Puck (gone because the show moved to NY).I wonder if Garces or Forgione might be quietly retired, or if Symon might decide to focus on The Chew.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and elsewhere
Play-by-play announcer at .... let me get back to you
lambertman is online now   Reply With Quote