Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-27-2012, 01:08 PM   #2131
tvmaster2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnL999 View Post
I would try @tivodesign on Twitter.
I don't use Twitter, but at least there are some links to that woman there that may be of use.

Are TivoHD owners just going to roll over and watch as cable companies make viewing HD material impossible on the TivoHD?
tvmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:22 PM   #2132
LynnL999

I have tweeted Margaret and am waiting to see if I get a response.

To tell you the truth, I am feeling pretty exasperated by the whole thing. I get that TiVo's priority is its newer hardware, but leaving the HD owners in the cold is upsetting. I spent a considerable amount of money on two TiVo HD's with lifetime only about 3 years ago. Other than possibly replacing a harddrive, I expected these to last another few years at least. (My original TiVo 2, now in the home of a friend, is still working at 11+ years.)

I was thinking about getting a newer 4 tuner TiVo, but honestly, if in another 3 years I'm going to have more issues like this, after TiVo has moved on to the latest greatest thing, why not save myself the headache and get the 1 TB Cox DVR when it comes out. At least I know it will be supported. We cable card users are just bastard red-headed stepchildren to the cable co's.

Sorry to vent, I am just frustrated.
LynnL999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:01 PM   #2133
LynnL999

Here's what she said:

"@lynnl999 Sorry, that isn't going to happen. Only Premiere supports MPEG4."
Old 11-27-2012, 06:23 PM   #2134
Johncv

Quote:
I have tweeted Margaret and am waiting to see if I get a response.

To tell you the truth, I am feeling pretty exasperated by the whole thing. I get that TiVo's priority is its newer hardware, but leaving the HD owners in the cold is upsetting. I spent a considerable amount of money on two TiVo HD's with lifetime only about 3 years ago. Other than possibly replacing a harddrive, I expected these to last another few years at least. (My original TiVo 2, now in the home of a friend, is still working at 11+ years.)

I was thinking about getting a newer 4 tuner TiVo, but honestly, if in another 3 years I'm going to have more issues like this, after TiVo has moved on to the latest greatest thing, why not save myself the headache and get the 1 TB Cox DVR when it comes out. At least I know it will be supported. We cable card users are just bastard red-headed stepchildren to the cable co's.

Sorry to vent, I am just frustrated.
Can I join you, we should pop a bottle of wine and vent away. Just found out on Monday (26) that I lost my last Showtime channel now NO Showtime channels on the TiVoHD. It did record "Homeland" on Sunday, but now I have to move that show to the crappy Cox DVR.

So far I lost:

All the premium +Channels
All the Showtime Channels
BBCHD
SyFyHD

I am with you Lynn, I was considering a four-tuner TiVo. Now I just going wait it out till Cox come out with their six-tuner box and compare it with what TiVo come out with next year. I will just let my Amazon points build up.

Why is it that the tenth largest cable company Cable One, will sign up to use TiVo, but Cox give us crap??

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:29 PM   #2135
Johncv

Quote:
Here's what she said:

HDTiVo
Old 11-27-2012, 10:47 PM   #2136
tvmaster2

Quote:
Here's what she said:

wow, that's a brutal response. how about if we start a thread, and keep track of all the TiVo owners who sell their Tivos ans convert to a competitor? A TiVoHD should record HD...period, regardless of what the cable company technology is. My VCR from 1982 still records 525 lines of SD tv, just like it did 30 years ago. 3 years with "lifetime" that TiVo has planned to kill after 3 years isn't lifetime at all.
Tivos argument will be that it will record OTA HD.
TiVo, as a corporation, needs to be exposed.
I'm pissed
Old 11-27-2012, 10:49 PM   #2137
tvmaster2

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johncv View Post
Can I join you, we should pop a bottle of wine and vent away. Just found out on Monday (26) that I lost my last Showtime channel now NO Showtime channels on the TiVoHD. It did record "Homeland" on Sunday, but now I have to move that show to the crappy Cox DVR.

So far I lost:

All the premium +Channels
All the Showtime Channels
BBCHD
SyFyHD

I am with you Lynn, I was considering a four-tuner TiVo. Now I just going wait it out till Cox come out with their six-tuner box and compare it with what TiVo come out with next year. I will just let my Amazon points build up.

Why is it that the tenth largest cable company Cable One, will sign up to use TiVo, but Cox give us crap??
at the very least, TiVo should make HD owners a very inexpensive trade-up offer, say half the cost of their lowest cost Premiere.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:27 AM   #2138
Optics

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
on a TiVo HD?
Yes, on a TiVoHD
Optics is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:11 PM   #2139
tvmaster2

Quote:
Same here. CoxInPHX must be showing the diagnostic screen for the TiVo Premiere. This info is not showing up on my TiVo HD.

Has anyone else lost the SyFy channel, because I can no longer receive it on the TiVo HD also. Yes, I also check the stupid TA and had a Cox service person check everything and he confirmed that Cox has moved the +Pak to H.264 and starting in 2013 other channels will follow. If the channel is in the 1100 block of channels it will be move to H.264. He also stated that Cox is planning on replacing all their DVR with PACE DVR's starting in 2013. All he could say was that it would have six tuners and a 1TB hard drive. He did know that Cox was currently testing software and did not know what software would be use.

What annoys me is that TiVo CAN push a software update to users of the TiVo HD to allow it to view the H.264 format, but TiVo want you to chuck your TiVo and buy a new one instead of being more like Apple and support the customer. What good is TiVo HD with Lifetime if it can no longer view any video? This is why Apple is going to end up taking over should come out with a set top box/DVR or Apple TV with a cloud DVR or both. Customer support is everything and people will pay for it.

I was thinking about upgrading to a four-tuner TiVo, but why should I when I know that it will NOT be supported by TiVo in another year. I am just going wait for the six-turner from Cox, maybe it will use the TiVo software, if not I guess it will be good-by TiVo.
On the phone with tivo....they wont even offer a discount, or move the lifetime service from my HD to a Premiere.

I guess Cox wins, aka why would I buy another Tivo box if "lifetime" means three years max?

Or, go with satellite and to hell with both of them.....argghhh
Old 11-28-2012, 01:16 PM   #2140
LynnL999

Quote:
at the very least, TiVo should make HD owners a very inexpensive trade-up offer, say half the cost of their lowest cost Premiere.
I would accept just letting me transfer my lifetime service.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:24 PM   #2141
LynnL999

Quote:
I guess Cox wins, aka why would I buy another Tivo box if "lifetime" means three years max?
I went through the demo of the Trio DVR. It doesn't actually look so bad. Honestly, the only reason I switched back to TiVo after using the Cox DVR is because it only held ~10 hours of HD. That problem will certainly be resolved with a 1 TB drive. And I would get On Demand back, which I actually used sometimes. I will miss TiVo if I switch back, but not enough to justify spending what it would cost to upgrade.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:45 PM   #2142
jrtroo
User

Don't forget- if you do decide to upgrade your old unit will still fetch some good bucks when sold.

If this were impacting me, I would go ahead and make an FCC complaint. Just for the fun of making them respond and for letting someone at the FCC see what is happening at the front lines when cablecos mess around.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:10 PM   #2143
ajwees41

Quote:
I went through the demo of the Trio DVR. It doesn't actually look so bad. Honestly, the only reason I switched back to TiVo after using the Cox DVR is because it only held ~10 hours of HD. That problem will certainly be resolved with a 1 TB drive. And I would get On Demand back, which I actually used sometimes. I will miss TiVo if I switch back, but not enough to justify spending what it would cost to upgrade.
It's the SA hardware not Trio that is crap.
ajwees41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:50 PM   #2144
Johncv

Quote:
Here's what she said:

Margaret is not telling the truth, credit to CoxInPHX for this info:

According to the specs I find, The TiVo HD has

MicroTuner MT2131 1GHz Tuners
http://www.zoran.com/IMG/pdf/PB-00069.pdf

and the Broadcom BCM7401 chipset supports AVC (H.264/MPEG-4 Part 10).

http://www.broadcom.com/products/Cab...essors/BCM7401

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 653x804.

HDTiVo
Old 11-29-2012, 05:36 AM   #2145
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Suggestion to Cox TiVo HD owners, sell your Lifetime TiVo HDs now before any other Cable Providers switch to H.264 and get yourself a Premiere.

When another large Cable Co does switch to H.264 the value of your TiVo HD is bound to drop.

If a few more large providers were to switch TiVo might decide to update, but I would not count on that. Get out now, and get your money.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:14 AM   #2146
tvmaster2

Quote:
Margaret is not telling the truth, credit to CoxInPHX for this info:

According to the specs I find, The TiVo HD has

MicroTuner MT2131 1GHz Tuners
http://www.zoran.com/IMG/pdf/PB-00069.pdf

and the Broadcom BCM7401 chipset supports AVC (H.264/MPEG-4 Part 10).

http://www.broadcom.com/products/Cab...essors/BCM7401

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 653x804.
so, is what you are saying is that the hardware is completely capable, but the software isn't?
Old 11-29-2012, 05:51 PM   #2147
Johncv

Quote:
so, is what you are saying is that the hardware is completely capable, but the software isn't?
Correct.

HDTiVo
Old 11-29-2012, 08:52 PM   #2148
tvmaster2

Quote:
Correct.
wow...tough call...do we trust TiVo to fix it, or gamble they won't, take our loses and either upgrade or get out of the game altogether....
Old 12-23-2012, 01:09 PM   #2149
LynnL999

So, hey, I wanted to let anyone who was in my situation know that TiVo will step up if you keep pressing the issue. They ended up offering me a number of options, and I now have a new Premiere XL

Now that I have the plus pak channels back, I noticed the following channels all seem to be 3 hours off in Orange County. Basically, the guide data is for the pacific feed but the east coast feed seems to be airing. For example, 1206 is currently (on 11 am Sunday) showing Harry Potter/Azkaban, when the guide data lists Crashbox. Harry Potter is supposed to air starting at 12 pm.

1206 HBOFPHD, should be HBOFHD
1209 HBOSPHD, should be HBOSHD
1289 STARZCHP should be STARZH

Can anyone confirm, just to make sure I'm not crazy?

Last edited by LynnL999 : 12-23-2012 at 01:28 PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:38 PM   #2150
unitron

Quote:
So, hey, I wanted to let anyone who was in my situation know that TiVo will step up if you keep pressing the issue. They ended up offering me a number of options, and I now have a new Premiere XL

Now that I have the plus pak channels back, I noticed the following channels all seem to be 3 hours off in Orange County. Basically, the guide data is for the pacific feed but the east coast feed seems to be airing. For example, 1206 is currently (on 11 am Sunday) showing Harry Potter/Azkaban, when the guide data lists Crashbox. Harry Potter is supposed to air starting at 12 pm.

1206 HBOFPHD, should be HBOFHD
1209 HBOSPHD, should be HBOSHD
1289 STARZCHP should be STARZH

Can anyone confirm, just to make sure I'm not crazy?

So you had a lifetimed S3 or two, and now you have what, exactly?

A 2 tuner S4 with 1TB drive? What kind of subscription? Was it transferred from either S3? What kind of money did you have to lay out and what did you wind up with with what account status?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:14 AM   #2151
LynnL999

They offered me several options. I wanted the XL4, which I bought at retail and they transferred the lifetime service from one of my HD's.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:19 AM   #2152
unitron

Quote:
They offered me several options. I wanted the XL4, which I bought at retail and they transferred the lifetime service from one of my HD's.
Did it cost you anything other than the retail price of the XL4?

Do you plan to keep that HD as a parts source for the other one?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:57 AM   #2153
LynnL999

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Did it cost you anything other than the retail price of the XL4?
No.

Quote:
Do you plan to keep that HD as a parts source for the other one?
Probably, though I haven't decided for sure yet.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:27 PM   #2154
tvmaster2

I too took a Premiere deal...

exchanged my two severely-buggy (hard-drive's-a-crashing) Tivo HD's for two 45 hour Premiere's. Lifetime service for each of the HD's was transferred over as part of the price, which was $49 for each machine. 90 day warranty included. Totally happy with that resolution.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:03 AM   #2155
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Exclamation COX deploying SDV & Tuning Adapters in LAS VEGAS, RIGHT NOW!

Two days ago, out of nowhere, we received a notification that as of JUNE 17, 2013, Tuning Adapters would be available, as a self-install kit, at our local Cox retail centers, free of charge & additional fees.

It also states that: AS OF JULY 17, 2013, we would lose nearly all our channels, beyond basic service, if the Tuning Adapters were NOT installed before that date.

They make a play to save us the hassle of going through this, by offering ONE (ONLY ONE) of THEIR digital/HD receivers for the same price as a CableCard for 12 months (which I guess might appeal to somebody with ONLY ONE TiVo (or other CableCard device, NOT leased from Cox). After the year of $1.99/month offer, the costs associated with keeping the receiver would go up to whatever rates were in place at that point.

THERE IS NO MENTION OF ON-DEMAND, unless it's while their baiting you with a discounted receiver, leased from them.

In a house where family members are SCOLDED, harshly, for leaving a single CF nightlight on, or not turning off lights when leaving a room, I am very worried about the increased electrical utility bill that will arise from using these Tuning Adapters. We have some of the highest electric rates in the nation. I've read, all over, how these Tuning Adapters are inefficient ELECTRICITY HOGS, run hot, and introduce all sorts of issues in the wake of their deployment.

I realize this is the way things need to be, and it was coming sooner or later. My biggest concern is does the FCC CableCard mandate also cover Tuning Adapters, or are they a separate matter. If separate, who do we complain to, if/when there are problems with them? Cox here absolutely hates TiVo, hates CableCards, & hates supporting the parts that they should be responsible for supporting. Their party line for a year has been "We don't support TiVo". It doesn't matter what the problem is, or if it affects every device in the house, non-TiVo & all, if there are TiVos in the house, that's the line you get...
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:37 AM   #2156
cliffdwelling

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
Two days ago, out of nowhere, we received a notification that as of JUNE 17, 2013, Tuning Adapters would be available, as a self-install kit, at our local Cox retail centers, free of charge & additional fees.

It also states that: AS OF JULY 17, 2013, we would lose nearly all our channels, beyond basic service, if the Tuning Adapters were NOT installed before that date.

They make a play to save us the hassle of going through this, by offering ONE (ONLY ONE) of THEIR digital/HD receivers for the same price as a CableCard for 12 months (which I guess might appeal to somebody with ONLY ONE TiVo (or other CableCard device, NOT leased from Cox). After the year of $1.99/month offer, the costs associated with keeping the receiver would go up to whatever rates were in place at that point.

THERE IS NO MENTION OF ON-DEMAND, unless it's while their baiting you with a discounted receiver, leased from them.

In a house where family members are SCOLDED, harshly, for leaving a single CF nightlight on, or not turning off lights when leaving a room, I am very worried about the increased electrical utility bill that will arise from using these Tuning Adapters. We have some of the highest electric rates in the nation. I've read, all over, how these Tuning Adapters are inefficient ELECTRICITY HOGS, run hot, and introduce all sorts of issues in the wake of their deployment.

I realize this is the way things need to be, and it was coming sooner or later. My biggest concern is does the FCC CableCard mandate also cover Tuning Adapters, or are they a separate matter. If separate, who do we complain to, if/when there are problems with them? Cox here absolutely hates TiVo, hates CableCards, & hates supporting the parts that they should be responsible for supporting. Their party line for a year has been "We don't support TiVo". It doesn't matter what the problem is, or if it affects every device in the house, non-TiVo & all, if there are TiVos in the house, that's the line you get...
Got the same notice here in Tucson, but Aug 08 is deadline. I was an early adopter of TA about 3 years ago or more. It was made by Cisco and was horrible and we just removed them and suffered without some channels.
I am wondering if these are same Tuning adapters offered or upgrades which are more responsive.
Hopefully someone will chime in who has some experience.
cliffdwelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:59 PM   #2157
delgadobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffdwelling View Post
Got the same notice here in Tucson, but Aug 08 is deadline. I was an early adopter of TA about 3 years ago or more. It was made by Cisco and was horrible and we just removed them and suffered without some channels.
I am wondering if these are same Tuning adapters offered or upgrades which are more responsive.
Like the previous poster, I am in Las Vegas - although I got the letter from Cox about Tuning Adapters late in the game (just a few days before the July 17th deadline).

The letter implied we had to come into the Cox service center to pick up the Tuning Adapters. I tried calling the number provided for the Rancho Drive store, which sent me into an automated Microsoft Exchange voicemail system. Oops, wrong number. Good job, Cox. I called the Cox main number & leaned on them to send a tech for an install; they wanted to charge me & I argued it was their change & that I couldn't reach their store because of a wrong number. They're supposed to have put it through waiving the trip charge, but I'll believe it when I see it.

When the tech called, I confirmed with him that he had 2 tuning adapters & of course he had only 1. He had to make a trip to pick up another, despite my explicit instructions with Cox. Sure enough, the Tuning Adapters are made by Cisco. While Cox insisted it was a simple self-install, the tech admitted he didn't know how to install them & had to refer to online instructions; apparently he was told "Oh, you'll figure it out" & given no instruction. The install was more involved than expected, but we eventually got it working with a couple reboots of the Tuning Adapters & my Tivo HDs. Once he left, he had to make not 1 but 2 return trips as they weren't showing up properly in their system. Not an easy process.

I'll try to update in a few weeks or so if anything comes up. At this point, I don't have a high degree of confidence given how unprepared Cox seems to have been with all this.
TIVO HD 318 Hr (Lifetime)
TIVO HD 318 Hr (Lifetime)
Toshiba SDH-400 330 Hr (Basic Life)
Toshiba RS-TX20 300 Hr (Basic Life)
delgadobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:03 PM   #2158
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffdwelling View Post
Another Cox Arizona customer in Mesa reported in another forum, about getting the same letter. So far I have not received a letter.

I am confused, because Cox Arizona has been using SDV and the Cisco TA for years, and currently there are 194 channels using SDV. I cannot understand what could be changing. Unless there were some outlying rural areas served by Cox that still had not implemented SDV. One such area that comes to mind is Buckeye, AZ which had not been upgraded last time I looked.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 01:19 AM   #2159
cliffdwelling

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
Another Cox Arizona customer in Mesa reported in another forum, about getting the same letter. So far I have not received a letter.

I am confused, because Cox Arizona has been using SDV and the Cisco TA for years, and currently there are 194 channels using SDV. I cannot understand what could be changing. Unless there were some outlying rural areas served by Cox that still had not implemented SDV. One such area that comes to mind is Buckeye, AZ which had not been upgraded last time I looked.
Yes, they have been using SDV here in Tucson, but still received letter.
I have never understood Cox and believe they think most people are ignorant of the service they receive ,and confusion is the standard protocol
cliffdwelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:29 PM   #2160
LynnL999

Can anyone in Orange County verify if AMC is airing the correct feed? Tribune shows that we're getting the east coast feed, which I know was correct at the time Mad Men ended.

Someone on AVS claims we're getting the west coast feed now, but I don't sprechen Breaking Bad (there's a marathon) enough to verify whether it's off by 3 hours or not.