TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-26-2012, 01:04 PM   #1861
TheNumberSix

Hi everyone.

I have a question and wanted to check with your collected wisdom.

I have some Tivo HDs and a Series3. (I know this is the Premier thread.) My backup strategy was always to have an expanded drive in each one. Then every six months or so I would take out the drive, back it up with WinMFS, run a disk utility (Spinrite 6), then reinstall it. While the backup and Spinrite was running, I would have the original drive installed for a week or two.

This scheme seemed to work well.

Now I have a Premier 4 on the way and I understand that WinMFS or any other tool cannot back up the drive image. All I can do is clone it.

So what I'm thinking is this. It comes with a 500GB drive, which is plenty big for me. I don't need to expand it. I will crack the case and look at whichever drive it is and I will try to buy another one, as close as possible to it. (Same vendor and size) Then every six months, I will clone the drive to the other and just swap it out.

Does this seem like a reasonable strategy? My concern is keeping high uptime in case of a problem. This way I just can swap out the drive and carry on.

A potential problem I see with this approach is that I bet there will be some few bytes difference in between the drive sizes. Will that screw it up?

Also, I can try to use JMFS, but I also have a fully functioning Gentoo Linux box. Would it be easier to just to do a dd command?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
TheNumberSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:16 PM   #1862
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNumberSix View Post
Hi everyone.

I have a question and wanted to check with your collected wisdom.

I have some Tivo HDs and a Series3. (I know this is the Premier thread.) My backup strategy was always to have an expanded drive in each one. Then every six months or so I would take out the drive, back it up with WinMFS, run a disk utility (Spinrite 6), then reinstall it. While the backup and Spinrite was running, I would have the original drive installed for a week or two.

This scheme seemed to work well.

Now I have a Premier 4 on the way and I understand that WinMFS or any other tool cannot back up the drive image. All I can do is clone it.

So what I'm thinking is this. It comes with a 500GB drive, which is plenty big for me. I don't need to expand it. I will crack the case and look at whichever drive it is and I will try to buy another one, as close as possible to it. (Same vendor and size) Then every six months, I will clone the drive to the other and just swap it out.

Does this seem like a reasonable strategy? My concern is keeping high uptime in case of a problem. This way I just can swap out the drive and carry on.

A potential problem I see with this approach is that I bet there will be some few bytes difference in between the drive sizes. Will that screw it up?

Also, I can try to use JMFS, but I also have a fully functioning Gentoo Linux box. Would it be easier to just to do a dd command?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Just get a bigger drive and when you make the copy do not expand the image, than you can keep going back and forth without problems, does seem a bit much for a drive that will most likely last you 4 or more years.

Old 12-01-2012, 05:57 AM   #1863
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Wd Av-gp Wd20eurs 2tb - $99.99

Western Digital WD AV-GP WD20EURS 2TB - $99.99

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/WD-AV-GP-TB-Ha...dp/B0042AG9V8/
Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136783

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:28 PM   #1864
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
I don't know what model drive they put in the Elite (I assume it's also a 2TB?), but as long as its LBA number is the same or slightly smaller than that of the EURS, ...
It turned out my original Elite had the same drive in it, a WD 20EURS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
It will take several hours.
I hooked both drives to SATA ports and booted the jmfs disk from a CD drive on USB. I don't know if my SATA ports are just really slow, but it took about 16 hours to copy the entire 2TB drive.

It is working now. Thanks to all for the assistance.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:35 PM   #1865
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
It turned out my original Elite had the same drive in it, a WD 20EURS.

I hooked both drives to SATA ports and booted the jmfs disk from a CD drive on USB. I don't know if my SATA ports are just really slow, but it took about 16 hours to copy the entire 2TB drive.

It is working now. Thanks to all for the assistance.
Thanks for the data points.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:18 AM   #1866
trusted-1

Premiere Upgrade via Parallels 7 Virtual Machine on Mac OSX 10.6.8

In case anyone wants to know:

The premiere_linux_inc_supersize_jmfs-rev104.iso imported easily into Parallels to create & run a virtual machine and worked well to create a copy, expand and supersize a Premiere 320gb image to a 1.5TB WD15EARS drive.

The transfer was 10800 kpbs average done on a couple of USB to SATA adapters.

The 2nd one I tried failed with a write error but the 1.5TB drives were not new so I suspect this is an issue with the drive not the Virtual Machine.

I am running an extended test on the drive to see if it needs an RMA prior to the next attempt.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:37 PM   #1867
socalhdtv

Question WD AV-GP WD20EURS + wdidle3

Hi! About to jump in and do the upgrade.

With the 20EURS model, do I have to perform the wdidle3 alchemy? Or with the EURS, am I good right out of the box?

Thanks so much!

Last edited by socalhdtv : 12-21-2012 at 12:04 AM. Reason: typo
socalhdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:45 PM   #1868
ShinySteelRobot

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalhdtv View Post
Hi! About to jump in and do the upgrade.

With the 20EURS model, do I have to perform the wdidle3 alchemy? Or with the ERUS, am I good right out of the box?

Thanks so much!
I can't remember if I had to change the idle on my EURS, but just to be safe you should use the wdidle3 command to set it to 300 seconds. Simply download and burn this ISO, boot from it, and then change the idle time.

I remember my EARX drive defaulted to 8 seconds, which would have made reboots fail.
ShinySteelRobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:06 AM   #1869
socalhdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinySteelRobot View Post
I can't remember if I had to change the idle on my EURS, but just to be safe you should use the wdidle3 command to set it to 300 seconds. Simply download and burn this ISO, boot from it, and then change the idle time.

I remember my EARX drive defaulted to 8 seconds, which would have made reboots fail.
Thanks - I'm guessing that wdidle does NOT work on a Mac? I've never used the program.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:10 AM   #1870
unitron

wdidle3 is also available on The Ultimate Boot CD.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:20 AM   #1871
socalhdtv

wdidle

Thanks!

The strange thing is the EURS is not even listed as a "supported" drive on the wdidle-download page. So I'm so confused if the drive needs to be "wdidle"d or not!
Old 12-21-2012, 12:46 AM   #1872
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalhdtv View Post
Thanks!

The strange thing is the EURS is not even listed as a "supported" drive on the wdidle-download page. So I'm so confused if the drive needs to be "wdidle"d or not!
I recently put into service a EURS and a couple of EARX (wish they'd been EADS, but that's another rant for another time).

Can't remember which ones needed it, if any, but running it didn't break any of them--you just get a "this feature is not supported" type error message or it comes back saying it's disabled.

Old 12-22-2012, 03:20 PM   #1873
DM3MD157

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
Just curious, is there a reason why people use the WD 20EURS drive? From what I read, you can use any newer SATA drive.
DM3MD157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 04:19 PM   #1874
jmbach

Some drives are tuned for video use and others for computer use. Different parameters are adjusted to optimize drive noise, heat, streaming, etc. Some drives have issues with the Tivo OS like the WD20EURS which needs the idle head parking feature to be disabled to prevent issues locking up the system.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Old 12-22-2012, 05:04 PM   #1875
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

No, the WD20EURS does NOT need any tweaking. I have used that HDD several times for an upgrade as is, with no issues. The Premiere used to solely use WD AV-GP HDDs and the WD20EURS in the Elite.

Old 12-22-2012, 06:18 PM   #1876
unitron

The EURS, because of the way its error handling routine is optimized for A/V applications, isn't the right thing for anything else, but it is good for a TiVo, has a warranty at least as long if not longer than most everything else, and $100 is about the best price you're going to find on a 2TB drive.

It's only suitable for Series 3 and Series 4 TiVos, Series 1 and Series 2 units can, as far as is known, only use up to a 1TB drive, although since they're PATA/IDE, they can use 2 of them on the same data cable, unlike SATA drives.

Old 12-22-2012, 06:20 PM   #1877
unitron

And as soon as the sale at newegg ends the price at Amazon will go back up, so grab it now.

Old 12-22-2012, 06:31 PM   #1878
DM3MD157

I just upgraded to a Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB Drive (ST32000641AS) Will this work fine or should I go buy the WD20EURS?

It seems to be working fine with no problems so far, however I just installed it today.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:05 PM   #1879
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

If it's working fine I would leave it alone, the Seagate Barracuda is a 7200rpm Desktop HDD and will generate more heat than either a Seagate HD Pipeline or WD AV-GP, which are both 5900rpm HDDs and designed for continuous video recording, and low heat.

What was the original TiVo HDD you replaced?

Old 12-22-2012, 07:08 PM   #1880
DM3MD157

320gb TiVo premiere. Do you think using this drive will be detrimental to the life span of the drive or the TiVo itself?
Old 12-22-2012, 07:13 PM   #1881
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

What was the Make and Model# of the original 320GB?

WD AV-GP WD3200AVVS?

Old 12-22-2012, 07:14 PM   #1882
jmbach

Quote:
No, the WD20EURS does NOT need any tweaking. I have used that HDD several times for an upgrade as is, with no issues. The Premiere used to solely use WD AV-GP HDDs and the WD20EURS in the Elite.
Perhaps not. Many posts about the WD20EURS and disabling the head parking feature resolving some issues people were having with the drive,

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by jmbach : 12-22-2012 at 07:20 PM.
jmbach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:17 PM   #1883
DM3MD157

Quote:
What was the Make and Model# of the original 320GB?

WD AV-GP WD3200AVVS?
The original drive is a Western Digital WD3200AVVS - Green Power
Old 12-22-2012, 11:21 PM   #1884
socalhdtv

Thumbs up Post-install report - WD20EURS

Overall, a very good experience.

* 1st attempt at copying the original drive from the Premiere died part-way through.
* Then was a bit finicky in recognizing the drives.
* 2nd attempt went smoothly. Took about 3.5 hours over USB on an iMac.
* Reboot of TiVo went great. Using 11% or so of the new 2TB.

In my experience, the EURS did NOT need wdidle set-up.

Thanks all for the help!
Old 12-23-2012, 12:14 AM   #1885
DM3MD157

Quote:
If it's working fine I would leave it alone, the Seagate Barracuda is a 7200rpm Desktop HDD and will generate more heat than either a Seagate HD Pipeline or WD AV-GP, which are both 5900rpm HDDs and designed for continuous video recording, and low heat.

What was the original TiVo HDD you replaced?
Been using it for a couple hours now and it seems to be working fine with no issues. If it were to give me problems, what should I look for? Given this is a 7200 RPM drive and will generate more heat, what are the drawbacks?

I used this drive because I had it at my disposal, I could buy the Western Digital 20EURS drive if I really need to. Since I am a N00B I don't know what I should do!
Old 12-23-2012, 02:00 AM   #1886
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM3MD157 View Post
Been using it for a couple hours now and it seems to be working fine with no issues. If it were to give me problems, what should I look for? Given this is a 7200 RPM drive and will generate more heat, what are the drawbacks?

I used this drive because I had it at my disposal, I could buy the Western Digital 20EURS drive if I really need to. Since I am a N00B I don't know what I should do!
I have been using 7200 RPM drives for years without any problems, the advantage of the AV drives is the low error correction so one might expect to get less picture breakup over time, I have not ever noticed any problems with non AV drives, some have run for years.

Old 12-23-2012, 05:40 AM   #1887
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Was the HDD previously used in another device? How old is the HDD and did it already have many hours of use. If so, I would say to get a new WD20EURS. If it was relatively new and unused, I'd just stay with it. Watch the MBT: temp in System Info above ~50°C, I would be concerned.

Old 12-23-2012, 10:55 AM   #1888
DM3MD157

Quote:
Was the HDD previously used in another device? How old is the HDD and did it already have many hours of use. If so, I would say to get a new WD20EURS. If it was relatively new and unused, I'd just stay with it. Watch the MBT: temp in System Info above ~50°C, I would be concerned.
The hard drive had minimal use. I can keep an eye on the temps, is that info located in the system menu? Is the only risk of running this drive a HD failure? Or can it break the motherboard or power supply?
Old 12-23-2012, 11:41 AM   #1889
unitron

Quote:
The hard drive had minimal use. I can keep an eye on the temps, is that info located in the system menu? Is the only risk of running this drive a HD failure? Or can it break the motherboard or power supply?
The drive shouldn't damage either any more than any other drive, but if I were in your position, and had the extra $100 to spare (always a consideration), I'd get the EURS, do a byte for byte copy to it from the 2TB Seagate, and re-purpose the Seagate as a computer drive where you relocate the TiVo Desktop program's My TiVo Recordings folder after formatting that Seagate as one big NTFS partition.

That's assuming you have a Windows PC.

Otherwise, if you're a Mac person, I would think that you could put the drive in an external USB case, or in a NAS box, and still store copied TiVo shows on it (if not copyprotected by your cable company).

Messages and Settings > Account and System Information > System Information should show you the temp.

Just be careful when the Sys Info screen is showing if you have more than one TiVo (or have a Philips/Magnavox VCR or DirecTV receiver) in the house, as that's the screen that makes the TiVo vulnerable to a change of remote control address.

Old 12-24-2012, 03:26 AM   #1890
ggieseke

Quote:
I just upgraded to a Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB Drive (ST32000641AS) Will this work fine or should I go buy the WD20EURS?
FWIW, I have 3 of those drives in my desktop PC and they run at about 95F (35C). Cool, quiet, reliable.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote