Old 12-06-2012, 08:01 AM   #241
videobruce
OTA is still alive

Thanks, anyone else?

videobruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:18 PM   #242
Barb

Replaced drive and HBO went away

My S3 drive was dying, so I got a new one from weaknees. Install was easy, redid guided setup, and everything worked except for HBO. Long story short, the host and data values were wrong at Verizon. Before we realized this, Verizon kept trying to restart the card, but it never worked. Finally, I had them read out the host and data values they had for each of my two cards and that is how I realized the values were wrong. They had some difficulty getting the right values to "take" in their system and I had to reboot the TiVo to make it work, but then it did. So all is good again...and I did not have to switch to the m cards.

Hope this helps someone in a similar dilemma.

Barb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 02:00 PM   #243
docfruitbat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb View Post
My S3 drive was dying, so I got a new one from weaknees. Install was easy, redid guided setup, and everything worked except for HBO. Long story short, the host and data values were wrong at Verizon. Before we realized this, Verizon kept trying to restart the card, but it never worked. Finally, I had them read out the host and data values they had for each of my two cards and that is how I realized the values were wrong. They had some difficulty getting the right values to "take" in their system and I had to reboot the TiVo to make it work, but then it did. So all is good again...and I did not have to switch to the m cards.

Hope this helps someone in a similar dilemma.
This post is a few years old, but it begs a question:
What piece of information changed as a result of the HD being replaced? Supposedly the Card ID, Host ID and Data are related to the hardware of the machine and not something that's stored on disk.
I just repalced my HD in my S3 and am having trouble getting the cards re-authorized. I'm wondering if this is somehow related.

docfruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 02:28 PM   #244
videobruce
OTA is still alive

Quote:
What piece of information changed as a result of the HD being replaced?
Nothing other than if it is a different size drive, the capacity if an image was made of the original drive and transfered to the replacement.
The CC is married to the DVR (basically the MB), not the HDD. There is the possibility something got corrupted along the way considering the complexities of CC's and especially TA's (for SDV).

The CC gest married to the account & the device. I don't know if the image file has anything to do with it. Someone else can chime in on that one.

Old 01-07-2016, 03:16 PM   #245
docfruitbat

Due to a series of errors I ended up swapping out my current set of cablecards (which had been working for the past 3 years) for new ones (this was at the same time as the HD replacement). I was smart enough to take pictures of the pairing screen of the old cards before removing them. Comparing with the new cards, I see that the Host IDs are identical between the old and new cards in the same slots, respectively. The Cablecard IDs are different as are the Data. That leads me to surmise that the Cardcard IDs are burned into the card and the Host IDs are burned into the interfacing hardware on the motherboard. That leaves just the Data portion. I haven't found yet how that's derived but I would suspect that it's a computed value, using some function of the card and host hardware (thus "marrying" them). If the service provider (Comcast) has these exact values (and I had Comcast read them back to me) then there most be some issue with the network being used to deploy the authorization information. This sounds like the weakest link, but how to determine the point of failure?

Old 01-07-2016, 03:24 PM   #246
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by docfruitbat View Post
This post is a few years old, but it begs a question:
What piece of information changed as a result of the HD being replaced? Supposedly the Card ID, Host ID and Data are related to the hardware of the machine and not something that's stored on disk.
I just repalced my HD in my S3 and am having trouble getting the cards re-authorized. I'm wondering if this is somehow related.
What drive did you use and did you put an image from that HD on it or an image from elsewhere?

If an image taken from a different HD, you need to "marry" that drive to the motherboard so that they agree about the TiVo Service Number (though you probably already knew that).

Also, what software did you use to prepare the new drive, and, if applicable, on which version of Windows did you run it?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 03:33 PM   #247
docfruitbat

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
What drive did you use and did you put an image from that HD on it or an image from elsewhere?

If an image taken from a different HD, you need to "marry" that drive to the motherboard so that they agree about the TiVo Service Number (though you probably already knew that).

Also, what software did you use to prepare the new drive, and, if applicable, on which version of Windows did you run it?
This is an old S3 OLED (TCD648250B) TiVo so it had an original 250Gb HD. I bought a 1TB upgrade drive from weaknees.com (supposedly pre-loaded with the correct S3 image). The S3 booted and has been functional in all other respects. I ran it through the Setup process (several times now, due to CableCard issues) and each time it's appears to have verified the machine and my account as being good.
I did consider going the home-built image approach, but since weaknees offered a pre-imaged drive for what I considered an acceptable price, I decided I didn't want the hassle with imaging it myself.

Old 01-08-2016, 03:07 AM   #248
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by docfruitbat View Post
This is an old S3 OLED (TCD648250B) TiVo so it had an original 250Gb HD. I bought a 1TB upgrade drive from weaknees.com (supposedly pre-loaded with the correct S3 image). The S3 booted and has been functional in all other respects. I ran it through the Setup process (several times now, due to CableCard issues) and each time it's appears to have verified the machine and my account as being good.
I did consider going the home-built image approach, but since weaknees offered a pre-imaged drive for what I considered an acceptable price, I decided I didn't want the hassle with imaging it myself.
Get some rabbit ears or something* and set it up for over the air channels (you only need to be able to receive one for this) and see if it will let you record.

If so, then the TSN problem got solved when you went through Guided Setup after installing the weaKnees drive.

If not, then you need to do a Clear & Delete Everything to force it to take care of the TSN mismatch.

*If you're close to a strong station, an unbent paper clip with one end stuck in the center hole of the antenna input might suffice.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 12:58 PM   #249
docfruitbat

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Get some rabbit ears or something* and set it up for over the air channels (you only need to be able to receive one for this) and see if it will let you record.

If so, then the TSN problem got solved when you went through Guided Setup after installing the weaKnees drive.

If not, then you need to do a Clear & Delete Everything to force it to take care of the TSN mismatch.

*If you're close to a strong station, an unbent paper clip with one end stuck in the center hole of the antenna input might suffice.
As it turns out, it was a matter of the back office people (again) not entering the card's data correctly when I called several times before (or perhaps not saving it each time it failed to pair...hmm...).
Anyway, I had a tech out yesterday and he went through the same process I went through (reading all of the card data) to a different person on the backend (who sounded like she knew what she was doing, as opposed to some of the other reps I've talked with).
I have three cards in total (1 is in another TiVo that *was* working just fine, or so it seemed) and the rep. stated that all three cards were currently unpaired (and that the Data values for all three were incorrect). Once the tech re-read the values, they sent a "hit" and "magically" the cards all worked (again).
So, it wasn't a matter of the HD going bad or having the new one bond with the TiVo (which was good as that would have been a worse problem). It appears to have been (again) plain ol' human error.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:09 PM   #250
NCSU2008

can't wait to upgrade my roamio ota to 3tb drive

NCSU2008 is offline   Reply With Quote