TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > DVD TiVo Units (Archive)
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-20-2012, 03:02 PM   #91
jwood6203

I had this issue and used photobrian's method to fix. Thank You BRIAN!

I've used a coax hookup for years, but when the Tivo stopped working the system info page showed it was trying to use composite hook up. In the change hook up page it would not acknowledge that I had a coax option. The composite (red, white, yellow) hook up wouldnt work. After many restarts and failed efforts to make it work I got the "digital to anolog box" out of the basement ( I knew I saved it for something). Hooked up an antenna, had it find a working channel, hooked the box up to the coax on the tivo input and did a restart. Once it was up I went to the video hook up change page and it allowed me to switch to coax input.

Thanks again!
jwood6203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:53 PM   #92
DM3MD157

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwood6203 View Post
I had this issue and used photobrian's method to fix. Thank You BRIAN!

I've used a coax hookup for years, but when the Tivo stopped working the system info page showed it was trying to use composite hook up. In the change hook up page it would not acknowledge that I had a coax option. The composite (red, white, yellow) hook up wouldnt work. After many restarts and failed efforts to make it work I got the "digital to anolog box" out of the basement ( I knew I saved it for something). Hooked up an antenna, had it find a working channel, hooked the box up to the coax on the tivo input and did a restart. Once it was up I went to the video hook up change page and it allowed me to switch to coax input.

Thanks again!
What is the digital to analog box? Is it a Digital Transport Adapter? What antenna did you use? If you could kindly go into more details it would greatly be appreciated!
DM3MD157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:15 PM   #93
klalex

Well, it's Christmas Eve Eve and all I want for Christmas is my living-room TiVo unit to get its Basic Cable In signal back. Oh, ho ho ho, I've had this issue before. Here in Oklahoma we have extreme weather, which is regularly accompanied by power outages. You all know what that means. "No Signal on: Basic Cable In." I have two SD-H400's that are about 8 years old. One is finicky to power outages, and it took rebooting with prayer to get it back online so a couple thunderstorm seasons ago, I bought myself a $40 UPS (uninterruptible power supply) for my living room TiVo. I have had no issues since ... until Friday morning. I went to bed Thursday and all was well, but when I got up Friday and turned on my TV there a vertical line through the display and the image was offset to the right about 25 percent. I wasn't sure if that was a TiVo or TV issue so I decided to test the TiVo in the bedroom. It worked fine. Then I moved the bedroom TiVo to the living room ... same problem. So, here I am three days later, and a good 6-7 hours of fiddling ... moving the TiVo's from room to room, changing cables, trying different inputs, etc. It's hard to diagnose this because both TiVos work fine in the bedroom where there is straight coaxial cable from Wall --> TiVo RF In, then a coaxial cable from TiVo RF Out --> TV RF In. Both TiVos work, record, play, etc in the bedroom on that older GE TV. But BOTH units give me that damn message of "No Signal on: Basic Cable In" and black image behind that in the Living Room when hooked to my newer RCA TV. I have a Coaxial cable split from WALL to Digital In, and from Wall to TiVo RF In. I then have COMP 1 connected using the Red/Blue/Green cables, and the Audio cables. Not sure why this is what it is, since I don't have digital cable any longer. Must have just been left from when I did have digital. This is exactly how it was connected and working when I went to bed Thursday. Before messing with it I took photos of the back of the TiVo and the TV to make sure I didn't get them confused. Even after running the RESET SYSTEM, no change. I tried programming a few minutes of recording and hooking the TiVo ONLY to the RF In from the coaxial/wall, (and running Settings again) but still no image received. I've tried everything, and restarting, Settings, etc. Strangely, in all of this, the image on my TV which had that line through it on Friday is now fine. ... ANY IDEAS? I am going to put the TiVo on Standby overnight, and the 2nd unit in the bedroom is on Standby now. It's just frustrating that they both work in the bedroom and neither gets the signal in when in the living room. Frustrating. Frustrating. Frustrating.
klalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:24 PM   #94
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by klalex View Post
Well, it's Christmas Eve Eve and all I want for Christmas is my living-room TiVo unit to get its Basic Cable In signal back. Oh, ho ho ho, I've had this issue before. Here in Oklahoma we have extreme weather, which is regularly accompanied by power outages. You all know what that means. "No Signal on: Basic Cable In." I have two SD-H400's that are about 8 years old. One is finicky to power outages, and it took rebooting with prayer to get it back online so a couple thunderstorm seasons ago, I bought myself a $40 UPS (uninterruptible power supply) for my living room TiVo. I have had no issues since ... until Friday morning. I went to bed Thursday and all was well, but when I got up Friday and turned on my TV there a vertical line through the display and the image was offset to the right about 25 percent. I wasn't sure if that was a TiVo or TV issue so I decided to test the TiVo in the bedroom. It worked fine. Then I moved the bedroom TiVo to the living room ... same problem. So, here I am three days later, and a good 6-7 hours of fiddling ... moving the TiVo's from room to room, changing cables, trying different inputs, etc. It's hard to diagnose this because both TiVos work fine in the bedroom where there is straight coaxial cable from Wall --> TiVo RF In, then a coaxial cable from TiVo RF Out --> TV RF In. Both TiVos work, record, play, etc in the bedroom on that older GE TV. But BOTH units give me that damn message of "No Signal on: Basic Cable In" and black image behind that in the Living Room when hooked to my newer RCA TV. I have a Coaxial cable split from WALL to Digital In, and from Wall to TiVo RF In. I then have COMP 1 connected using the Red/Blue/Green cables, and the Audio cables. Not sure why this is what it is, since I don't have digital cable any longer. Must have just been left from when I did have digital. This is exactly how it was connected and working when I went to bed Thursday. Before messing with it I took photos of the back of the TiVo and the TV to make sure I didn't get them confused. Even after running the RESET SYSTEM, no change. I tried programming a few minutes of recording and hooking the TiVo ONLY to the RF In from the coaxial/wall, (and running Settings again) but still no image received. I've tried everything, and restarting, Settings, etc. Strangely, in all of this, the image on my TV which had that line through it on Friday is now fine. ... ANY IDEAS? I am going to put the TiVo on Standby overnight, and the 2nd unit in the bedroom is on Standby now. It's just frustrating that they both work in the bedroom and neither gets the signal in when in the living room. Frustrating. Frustrating. Frustrating.
Take the GE into the living room, disconnect the cable input from the splitter and hook it straight to the GE and see if you still have basic analog cable on that line.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:52 AM   #95
klalex

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Take the GE into the living room, disconnect the cable input from the splitter and hook it straight to the GE and see if you still have basic analog cable on that line.
Before moving the old/fat/heavy GE from the bedroom (And by "old" I mean I need some muscle to move it for me or I'll be explaining this to my back surgeon), let me add something that wasn't clear on the RCA reception:

If I hook the living room's flat-screen RCA TV from Wall Coax --> Analog RF Input via Coax on TV (no splitter), I receive all channels clear and fine. Was your theory that no signal was coming from the Wall? It is - That was my first test on Friday. I should have mentioned that. IN ADDITION, if I hook up Coax Wall --TiVo RF In, then TiVo RF Out --> RCA Analog In, I get good signal(all channels, clearly) ONLY if I turn the TiVo to Standby, thus am turning the channels on the RCA TV itself. But as soon as I turn the TiVo power on (not of Standby) and and the TV to Ch 3 or 4 (tried them both), I get TiVo's "Searching...Basic..." message, black image behind.

THere is no scenario that I receive a signal and can tune and turn channels on the TiVo. I still get the "Searching for signale on: Basic Cable In" when the TiVo is on. I can watch recordings, transfer between TiVos, etc.

When I changed from Wall to TiVo, Tivo To Analong, I also re-ran the Setup again, to no avail.

What else can I try? I could run the Reset System again on the TiVo in the bedroom that is working fine with that GE TV, then move it into the LR. But when it was working fine there on Friday, moving it just left me with this "Searcing signale, Basic Cable In" message and black picture. Again, they both work fine in the bedroom. Both work fine hooked Wall to TV, and both work on Analog running to TiVo RF IN, then RF Out to TV Analog for watching recorded shows, but not for getting a signal to record. I have to switch the (Antenna) option on the TV/controller to get signal when running through the TiVo and turn the TiVo to Standby.

So, since there is definitely a signal coming from the wall to the TV, should I still move the TV from the bedroom and try this in the LR? It's so much easier to move the TiVos around that that large tv that must weigh 45 lbs.

I'm open to any more input, pLEASE!

Is it time for a FULL RESTART that will wipe out all the programs and SeasonPasses? I've transferred all the shows to the bedroom, and vice versa. Unfortunately, the one in the Living Room has 5 purchases movies, but I suppose I could transfer all the Bedroom shows to the Living Room (where the non-transferrable movies are). Or just forget about the movies.

Any more suggestions? Would moving the big GE TV from the bedroom be of consequence since we know the signal is coming through the wall and coaxial cable just fine, both into/out of the TivO when it's on Standby, or direct to the RCA Tv.

Thanks so much in advance for input.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:30 AM   #96
unitron

Quote:
Before moving the old/fat/heavy GE from the bedroom (And by "old" I mean I need some muscle to move it for me or I'll be explaining this to my back surgeon), let me add something that wasn't clear on the RCA reception:

If I hook the living room's flat-screen RCA TV from Wall Coax --> Analog RF Input via Coax on TV (no splitter), I receive all channels clear and fine. Was your theory that no signal was coming from the Wall? It is - That was my first test on Friday. I should have mentioned that. IN ADDITION, if I hook up Coax Wall --TiVo RF In, then TiVo RF Out --> RCA Analog In, I get good signal(all channels, clearly) ONLY if I turn the TiVo to Standby, thus am turning the channels on the RCA TV itself. But as soon as I turn the TiVo power on (not of Standby) and and the TV to Ch 3 or 4 (tried them both), I get TiVo's "Searching...Basic..." message, black image behind.

THere is no scenario that I receive a signal and can tune and turn channels on the TiVo. I still get the "Searching for signale on: Basic Cable In" when the TiVo is on. I can watch recordings, transfer between TiVos, etc.

When I changed from Wall to TiVo, Tivo To Analong, I also re-ran the Setup again, to no avail.

What else can I try? I could run the Reset System again on the TiVo in the bedroom that is working fine with that GE TV, then move it into the LR. But when it was working fine there on Friday, moving it just left me with this "Searcing signale, Basic Cable In" message and black picture. Again, they both work fine in the bedroom. Both work fine hooked Wall to TV, and both work on Analog running to TiVo RF IN, then RF Out to TV Analog for watching recorded shows, but not for getting a signal to record. I have to switch the (Antenna) option on the TV/controller to get signal when running through the TiVo and turn the TiVo to Standby.

So, since there is definitely a signal coming from the wall to the TV, should I still move the TV from the bedroom and try this in the LR? It's so much easier to move the TiVos around that that large tv that must weigh 45 lbs.

I'm open to any more input, pLEASE!

Is it time for a FULL RESTART that will wipe out all the programs and SeasonPasses? I've transferred all the shows to the bedroom, and vice versa. Unfortunately, the one in the Living Room has 5 purchases movies, but I suppose I could transfer all the Bedroom shows to the Living Room (where the non-transferrable movies are). Or just forget about the movies.

Any more suggestions? Would moving the big GE TV from the bedroom be of consequence since we know the signal is coming through the wall and coaxial cable just fine, both into/out of the TivO when it's on Standby, or direct to the RCA Tv.

Thanks so much in advance for input.
Leave the GE where it is.

If you were not getting analog channels on either TiVo in either room, I'd suspect the tuners or the power supplies (and you should suspect the power supplies anyway--read up on "capacitor plague" in S2s and S3s), but if the TiVos can tune in channels in one room but not the other, then perhaps the signal strength isn't as strong in the "bad" room, and the TV in there is better able to cope than the TiVos (possibly a better tuner, possibly TiVo power supply being marginal).

Find where the cables to those 2 rooms are split from the main cable and see if there's a problem there.

Were both cables installed at the same time, or is one much older?

Edit to add:

If you can get hold of a little portable tv, take it and the TiVo's to where the incoming cable splits and try both taps there to see if it's a bad tap or a bad cable connected to a good tap.

Old 12-24-2012, 11:39 PM   #97
klalex

Hey, THANKS for mentioning suspect power supplies. After moving the chunky TV (I had help) and having the same series of problems in the Living Room that did not exist in the bedroom, I considered the APC uninterruptible power supply as a possible culprit. So, I bypassed it and used an older power strip ... VOILA, all worked! I unplugged the UPS, replugged it in and tried it once again - PROBLEMS. So, I again used the power strip and no UPS, and again everything worked. So I hooked the big TV back up, and all the original cabling as it was, and it is all working now. The chunky TV is back in the bedroom. So, the culprit was the UPS that is less than two years old. This is an odd problem, but it is fixed for now. Of course, I no longer have UPS protection on the TiVo that needs it, so I'll order a new. Wow, what a relief. Thanks so much, UNITRON!! You're my hero Santa surrogate, and not a bit too late, considering I just heard the reindeer flying over. Merry Christmas!
Old 12-25-2012, 12:34 AM   #98
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen

Quote:
Hey, THANKS for mentioning suspect power supplies. After moving the chunky TV (I had help) and having the same series of problems in the Living Room that did not exist in the bedroom, I considered the APC uninterruptible power supply as a possible culprit. So, I bypassed it and used an older power strip ...
When you replace the UPS, get a UPS that has a guaranty of protection against power surges/lightening strikes. Then if your TiVo gets 'cooked' they pay for a new one. Just because the UPS says it protects the TiVo isn't nothing if they don't say they will replace your covered item.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 04:20 AM   #99
unitron

Quote:
Hey, THANKS for mentioning suspect power supplies. After moving the chunky TV (I had help) and having the same series of problems in the Living Room that did not exist in the bedroom, I considered the APC uninterruptible power supply as a possible culprit. So, I bypassed it and used an older power strip ... VOILA, all worked! I unplugged the UPS, replugged it in and tried it once again - PROBLEMS. So, I again used the power strip and no UPS, and again everything worked. So I hooked the big TV back up, and all the original cabling as it was, and it is all working now. The chunky TV is back in the bedroom. So, the culprit was the UPS that is less than two years old. This is an odd problem, but it is fixed for now. Of course, I no longer have UPS protection on the TiVo that needs it, so I'll order a new. Wow, what a relief. Thanks so much, UNITRON!! You're my hero Santa surrogate, and not a bit too late, considering I just heard the reindeer flying over. Merry Christmas!

The UPS was preventing the TiVo from getting any channels on its tuner?!?!?

If the UPS would let the TiVo boot but not quite work properly, then suspect the power supply inside the TiVo as well of being marginal, with the 2 marginalities added together equalling a non-tuning tuner.

In other words, start thinking about capacitor replacements now.

The only other thing I can think of is if you had the cable co-ax connected to a surge protector port on the UPS and then a short cable from there to the TiVo, that might be the cause of the signal drop just below the TiVo tuner's threashold of competence.

Old 12-25-2012, 10:32 AM   #100
klalex

Woke up this morning, and the issue is back as it was last Friday morning. Line through the TV when the TiVo is on, no Basic in, TV works fine without the TiVo, etc. After a couple power on/offs the line is not through the TV any longer. But, it's all plugged into the wall or into power strips, but not through the APC UPS. Dang nabit. It must be a power issue of some sort that has to do with the living room (power or something like that). Sad. Sad. Sad.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:41 AM   #101
klalex

After a couple more power on/offs of everything (and no UPS) it's working again. But, for how long? And, what can I do in the meantime as preventive? (Thank God for Amazon. It's iced over out there in OKC today!)

So, in a nutshell, this is an (A) Power in the living room is fickle; or (B) signal in the living room is flakey? Do you all concur, my dear TiVo gurus.

Happy Holidays to each of you. May your TiVos work throughout the New Year!
Old 12-25-2012, 10:51 AM   #102
klalex

I meant to let you know that the Coax was never plugged through the UPS. Only the power cord of the TV and the TiVo. The TV was plugged into one of the "Surge Protection" outlets and the TiVo was plugged into the "Backup Power & Surge Protection Outlet."

Last edited by klalex : 12-25-2012 at 10:55 AM. Reason: FYI
Old 12-25-2012, 10:53 AM   #103
klalex

"REPLACE CAPACITOR." I will search the threads for information on that. I'm willing to try, although I don't know squat about electrical technology. But, I can follow directions, safety measures, and have a decent dose of both patience and brains. There's a Radio Shack nearby, and of course there's Amazon!

FYI: I did replace a hard drive in one of the TiVos a couple years ago. I know it's not rocket science, but I did just have to Google what a "capacitor" was...

Last edited by klalex : 12-25-2012 at 11:01 AM. Reason: FYI:
Old 12-25-2012, 01:16 PM   #104
unitron

Quote:
"REPLACE CAPACITOR." I will search the threads for information on that. I'm willing to try, although I don't know squat about electrical technology. But, I can follow directions, safety measures, and have a decent dose of both patience and brains. There's a Radio Shack nearby, and of course there's Amazon!

FYI: I did replace a hard drive in one of the TiVos a couple years ago. I know it's not rocket science, but I did just have to Google what a "capacitor" was...
The kind of capacitors you will need if you need them will not be found at Radio Shack--and it's very likely you won't find anyone working there who understands the difference between the kind they carry and the kind (low ESR and rated for 105 degrees celsius/centigrade) the TiVo power supply needs. Also they have to be the same rating in microFarads (uF) as the bad ones to be replaced, and rated at or a bit above the voltage rating of the ones being replaced.

Read the wikipedia page on "capacitor plague" to get an idea of what's going on.

Here's a thread that talks about the problem in S3s

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=473394

and here's one with steve614's excellent photographic example of how subtle the visual signs of a bad one can be

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=479176

although you could have one or more bad capacitors that don't show any visible signs.

Is there a halfway decent TV repair shop in your area?

What you do is ask if they know how to fix single layer board switching power supplies with bogus low ESR caps.

If it's the right place, they'll understand what I just said.

That's if your power supply has started going bad yet, in which case $20 to $50 to fix it (with about $10 or less of that being for the caps) will likely be cheaper than a replacement supply if you can find one.

But don't give up checking the possibility that the signal is weaker in one room than the other. If the living room cable was installed years ago and then someone came back and put in a splitter and ran a line to the bedroom more recently, you've probably got newer, better cable running to the bedroom.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:46 AM   #105
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM3MD157 View Post
I don't think there are any analog signals coming out of the wall. Perhaps playing a video tape would suffice? I already opened up the tuner module, at least the sides. I saw no loose connections or burnt resistors. The strange thing is that the RCA inputs also do not yield any video as well. And when I try to run the video settings the default connection it tells you to use is RCA.
Apologies, I meant to get back to you on this and got lost or sidetracked or both.

Yes, a tape playing in that old VCR will do, anything to get it to put a channel 3 or channel 4 type signal on its RF output connected to the RF input of the TiVo.

What we want to do is ignore the TiVo's RCA inputs for now and just give it something that looks to it like an analog cable or pre-digital over the air signal and see if anything can get through its tuner.

You don't have to do guided setup or anything, just use the number pad and plug in channel 2 and then 3 and then 4 and 5 and 6.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:50 AM   #106
jwood6203

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM3MD157 View Post
What is the digital to analog box? Is it a Digital Transport Adapter? What antenna did you use? If you could kindly go into more details it would greatly be appreciated!
DM3-

I used a Zenith Digital TV Tuner Converter Box DTT901...the antenna was a 2 dollar Walmart special...all coax hookups...Once I knew I had a channel from the converter box - I put that in the Tivo's signal input (coax), did a restart of the Tivo and went to the "change video hook up" page and coax was the only option there for me. Still working fine now.

Last edited by jwood6203 : 12-26-2012 at 03:18 PM.
jwood6203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:12 PM   #107
newbs

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I'm having the same issue with my SDH400. I've had it happen before, and with a couple of reboots I have been able to recover from the black "searching for signal" screen, but this is the first time I've had to do it post Comcast's conversion to all digital. I do have the digital to analog converter from Comcast, which was working fine up to the reboot, but now I am no longer able to get a choice to select the coax input.

I seem to vaguely recall that there was some other tip about connecting something to the S-Video port or something. Am I just confusing that with another issue? Unfortunately I don't have a portable TV handy to test things, nor a separate way of generating analog signals on the coax line. Do I need to go out and buy an antenna to try to fool the system? I know these machines are old, but any chance we can get Tivo/Toshiba to address this known bug in their software? Seems like it just needs a way to "force" the coax input to be selected.
newbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:30 PM   #108
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbs View Post
Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I'm having the same issue with my SDH400. I've had it happen before, and with a couple of reboots I have been able to recover from the black "searching for signal" screen, but this is the first time I've had to do it post Comcast's conversion to all digital. I do have the digital to analog converter from Comcast, which was working fine up to the reboot, but now I am no longer able to get a choice to select the coax input.

I seem to vaguely recall that there was some other tip about connecting something to the S-Video port or something. Am I just confusing that with another issue? Unfortunately I don't have a portable TV handy to test things, nor a separate way of generating analog signals on the coax line. Do I need to go out and buy an antenna to try to fool the system? I know these machines are old, but any chance we can get Tivo/Toshiba to address this known bug in their software? Seems like it just needs a way to "force" the coax input to be selected.
Why would you need a portable TV?

Does the comcast box only have an RF out? No line level?

Is whatever video display technology into which you feed the TiVo's output line level only and not capable of analog tuning to channel 3 or 4?

Old 02-11-2013, 04:11 PM   #109
newbs

Quote:
Why would you need a portable TV?

Does the comcast box only have an RF out? No line level?

Is whatever video display technology into which you feed the TiVo's output line level only and not capable of analog tuning to channel 3 or 4?
Yes, the Comcast box only has an RF output, no composite or other video outputs.

It is technically capable of analog tuning, but it is a PITA. First, the setup makes getting back behind the display to swap connections around difficult to access (I guess that one is my fault). Also, since Comcast has gone digital, I have it tuning only digital channels. I think in order to get it to see analog channels, I'd have to do a re-scan with the Comcast box hooked up, and then another re-scan later to get all of the digital channels back and then reprogram all of my favorites, eliminate the unwanted digital channels, etc.

I'd rather not go through that if there is any other way to force the Tivo to pick the coax input. My setup was working fine up until the recent power cycle. Would going through the guided setup on the Tivo force it to look at the coax in?
Old 02-11-2013, 06:13 PM   #110
unitron

Quote:
Yes, the Comcast box only has an RF output, no composite or other video outputs.

It is technically capable of analog tuning, but it is a PITA. First, the setup makes getting back behind the display to swap connections around difficult to access (I guess that one is my fault). Also, since Comcast has gone digital, I have it tuning only digital channels. I think in order to get it to see analog channels, I'd have to do a re-scan with the Comcast box hooked up, and then another re-scan later to get all of the digital channels back and then reprogram all of my favorites, eliminate the unwanted digital channels, etc.

I'd rather not go through that if there is any other way to force the Tivo to pick the coax input. My setup was working fine up until the recent power cycle. Would going through the guided setup on the Tivo force it to look at the coax in?
With the cable box co-ax out connected to the TiVo's RF in, can you manually tune the TiVo to 3 or 4 and see the cable box's output?

Old 02-12-2013, 09:23 AM   #111
newbs

Quote:
With the cable box co-ax out connected to the TiVo's RF in, can you manually tune the TiVo to 3 or 4 and see the cable box's output?
I tried this last night, but it didn't work. I think the TiVo is only looking for the signal on the composite video inputs and not the coax. When I try to change the input in the "Video" option under Settings, it is only showing the option of connecting the cable box through the composite video input. There isn't a choice to select the coax input.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:33 PM   #112
unitron

Quote:
I tried this last night, but it didn't work. I think the TiVo is only looking for the signal on the composite video inputs and not the coax. When I try to change the input in the "Video" option under Settings, it is only showing the option of connecting the cable box through the composite video input. There isn't a choice to select the coax input.
Maybe you need to lie to it about which cable box you have so it thinks you have one with only RF outputs.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:22 PM   #113
bibbli

I was able to resurrect mine...I wish I could explain how. I'd lost video after a fuse in the house had blown. I tried repeating guided setup several times, no luck. I played the waiting game and simply powered it off for several days. No indication that helped. I tried settings > video hookup repeatedly and it would only give me the option to hook up using the composite input. Just today, after it had been powered down for several days, i opened it up to check for anything unusual (bulging capacitors or anything else i might recognize). I carefully pulled and reseated a ribbon cable or two, even carefully gave some parts a safe push just to satisfy myself that I was doing something potentially useful. When I hooked it back up to the coax out (from my comcast DTA), powered up and went to settings > video input, it paused for a moment and finally asked me if I could see video (while showing video in the background!). Who knows what did it, but it seems to indicate that something was confused and not permanently disabled. It's as if something was somehow reset. I did not try to fool it into thinking it was seeing an analog cable from an antenna, FYI. No idea how I lifted the spell...but glad it's back. Good luck. For those not used to digging into the innards: If you choose to noodle around on the inside, insure you've touched something metalic to discharge static and don't do things like touch capacitor terminals.
bibbli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:34 PM   #114
unitron

ALWAYS KNOW WHERE BOTH ENDS OF THE POWER CORD ARE!

And unplug from the wall socket before opening up the TiVo and poking around inside.

The only time to have the lid off and the TiVo plugged in is if you're actually doing voltage measurements.

Old 04-15-2013, 01:25 AM   #115
bibbli

An update: I powered down my SD-H400 by switching off a power strip to protect it against an impending thunderstorm (and potential outage) only to knock it out again! Fortunately I was able to resurrect it again also.

The sequence of events went like this: 4-6 occasions of powering down/up the unit by unplugging the rear power cable and letting it rest for a few minutes. The boot process is very slow so I'd check up on it without standing over it, took a day and a half all told. I believe a re-ran guided setup at least once. Every time I'd power back up, i'd go right to settings > video hookup. It never gave me an option, so much as either show me the composite hookup diagram (to which I would always bail out by hitting the tivo button and power cycle the unit again), or occasionally it would show me a totally blank screen asking me if I could see video in the background. After about the 6th occasion of it showing me the dark background state, instead of bailing out of that screen and power cycling again I selected yes (as if I could see video) even though it was a blank screen. It then asked me if I had a cable box, what sort of DTA box I had (etc), and when complete lead me to tivo central. When I proceeded right back into settings > video hookup, it asked if i could see background video, but this time there was a picture.

Worth noting that when I re-ran guided setup either once or twice, on the last occasion I proceeded with all my usual settings. I didn't attempt to try a different type of signal (i.e. antenna). That might work for someone else, but it didn't seem to play into my scenario. Hope that helps someone. What a major ambiguous pain in the arse. Impossible to know how much of what I did actually had an effect or if it was just dumb luck with the right combination of actions.

Last edited by bibbli : 04-15-2013 at 01:34 AM.
bibbli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:12 PM   #116
klalex

Can someone point me to the correct thread to find out about current television models that will work with the Toshiba SH-H400 and the Toshiba TiVo REMOTE CONTROL. I want to replace a television but had issues a few years ago finding one that I could match via the codes to get working. I can only imagine that this far down the road (with 9+ year old remotes) the problem of finding a new tv is only more of a challenge. Something small (relative) - around the 36" range give or take.

Hoping there's a discussion on here, but my searches aren't getting me anywhere.

Thanks.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:37 PM   #117
AlanBDahl

None of the other suggested fixes seemed to help with mine so as a last-ditch attempt I took the cover off. Nothing seemed amiss inside but there was tons of dust everywhere. I took my vacuum cleaner and vacuumed up all the dust and afterwards it started working fine. No idea if cleaning the dust made the difference but I've had electronics go bad because of dust in the past so I suspect that it helped. Anyway one more thing that everyone can try when they see this problem in the future!
AlanBDahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:43 PM   #118
jwood62031

Well, it took 6 months but I lost the coax connection again. I unplugged the box and tried to let it find the signal coming in via coax but just like before it wouldnt allow me to pick coax for the signal source.

I got out the zenith dtt901 digital tv tuner converter box to see if what worked before would work again..... It worked again. Here's the steps that worked for me:

unplug tivo
removed fios set top box line from signal input on back of tivo
hooked up digital tv tuner converter box to the tivo input
attached antennae to the converter box and turned tuner box on
since i had set up the tuner box before it was on a channel with a good signal already
plugged in the tivo
waited
when it came back up I had a black screen and it asked if I could see video, I clicked no and then video started showing again, asked if i could see video --clicked yes and I guess that switched it back to coax.
removed digital converter box from tivo input and put fios back into the input and I'm back in business.

Not sure if this will work for anyone else but it's worked for me twice. It would be nice if they would fix the glitch, but until they do I suppose I'll have to keep my converter box handy.
jwood62031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:59 PM   #119
photobrian

It has been a while and I don't know if anyone can chime in on this issue but here goes. I have 2 of these units and whenever the power goes out I have to screw around with them to get them to work. The one in our bedroom is much less fickle about working, the one in our living room is a piece of junk. Basically, aside from all of the various methods of getting these things back to showing cable when it says the infamous "searching for signal" is basically just keep resetting it. I leave everything plugged in now and reset the unit for hours until it just works. My previous method sometimes will work faster maybe less than 5 attempts, but simply restarting it over and over does eventually resolve it. BUT!

HERE IS MY NEW PROBLEM.

The unit has been attempting to reboot itself EVERY NIGHT at 2am in attempt I believe to complete a service update. The problem is the thing hangs on the "almost there, a few mintues more" screen and does not complete the restart. It has now run out of guide and when downloading the guide it will succeed however it will say "statusending restart" of which it again trys to restart at 2am and almost never completes. On occasion, it will complete the reboot but it still will not have the guide and it tells me when I hit the TIVO button that it needs to update the guide. It's a retarded any annoying cycle and I'm about to smash this thing on the ground. As far as I can tell, there is no way to force or install whatever stupid update its trying to do and obviously nobody supports these machines anymore so toshiba has ZERO information on their website about these units. I really do not want to give in and get rid of this thing but it seems like a lost cause at this point. If anyone has any input I would love to hear it.

Thank you!

Brian
photobrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:19 AM   #120
newbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by photobrian View Post
It has been a while and I don't know if anyone can chime in on this issue but here goes. I have 2 of these units and whenever the power goes out I have to screw around with them to get them to work. The one in our bedroom is much less fickle about working, the one in our living room is a piece of junk. Basically, aside from all of the various methods of getting these things back to showing cable when it says the infamous "searching for signal" is basically just keep resetting it. I leave everything plugged in now and reset the unit for hours until it just works. My previous method sometimes will work faster maybe less than 5 attempts, but simply restarting it over and over does eventually resolve it. BUT!

HERE IS MY NEW PROBLEM.

The unit has been attempting to reboot itself EVERY NIGHT at 2am in attempt I believe to complete a service update. The problem is the thing hangs on the "almost there, a few mintues more" screen and does not complete the restart. It has now run out of guide and when downloading the guide it will succeed however it will say "statusending restart" of which it again trys to restart at 2am and almost never completes. On occasion, it will complete the reboot but it still will not have the guide and it tells me when I hit the TIVO button that it needs to update the guide. It's a retarded any annoying cycle and I'm about to smash this thing on the ground. As far as I can tell, there is no way to force or install whatever stupid update its trying to do and obviously nobody supports these machines anymore so toshiba has ZERO information on their website about these units. I really do not want to give in and get rid of this thing but it seems like a lost cause at this point. If anyone has any input I would love to hear it.

Thank you!

Brian
I think the Series 2 units may be hitting the end of the line. See the thread below:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=508863