TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-17-2012, 10:11 AM   #1
Eccles
Mostly harmless

Used TiVo with active subscription

OK, so here's a little morality play for you. A friend of mine recently picked up a used Humax TiVo / DVD combo unit to put in his kids' room. He took it home, did a Clear and Delete All, ran Guided Setup, and it's working perfectly.

Too perfectly, in fact - it seems that it still has an active subscription! He initially assumed that the service would expire within a month, but it's continued for several months now.

He bought the unit from his local Goodwill store, so there is no way for him to directly contact the previous owner, nor does there appear to be any way to tell if it's on a 12-month prepay or if the PO is unwittingly continuing to pay on a monthly basis.

I've suggested to him that he should call TiVo and explain the situation to them, but he sees this as a fortuitous freebie and is loathe to lose it.

What do y'all think he should do? What would you do if you were in his situation, or mine for that matter?
150-hour Premiere XL (Lifetime)
Eccles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:08 AM   #2
innocentfreak

I think TiVo can check the TSN. Does it have lifetime maybe? I can't remember if you can see that on the System Info screen or not.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:18 PM   #3
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen

I had one like that. Apparently Tivo hadn't noticed that no one was paying on it anymore to shut it down. After I talked to them they shut it off.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:33 PM   #4
Eccles
Mostly harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by replaytv View Post
I had one like that. Apparently Tivo hadn't noticed that no one was paying on it anymore to shut it down. After I talked to them they shut it off.
Yeah, that's one of the things he's scared of. He's not interested in remote scheduling, transfers, or any of the other things that he would gain from moving it to his own account, so he's probably going to just leave it as-is.

I dunno - if it's Tivo's oversight, fine, but if some other sucker is still paying for his service, that doesn't seem right.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:40 PM   #5
Eccles
Mostly harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
Does it have lifetime maybe? I can't remember if you can see that on the System Info screen or not.
No, it's not Lifetime. System Information says
Quote:
TiVo Account Status: 3: Account in Good Standing
TiVo Service Level: C: 011013
When he first got it several months ago, that last date was sometime in September, but it keeps moving each month, which makes me suspect it's on a monthly sub - if it was on an annual pre-pay, wouldn't the date reflect the end of the commitment?

Last edited by Eccles : 12-17-2012 at 01:46 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:50 PM   #6
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eccles View Post
When he first got it several months ago, that last date was sometime in September, but it keeps moving each month, which makes me suspect it's on a monthly sub - if it was on an annual pre-pay, wouldn't the date reflect the end of the commitment?
Nope. This subject came up once before that I remember, and that date seems to just move a head one month at a time no matter what type of subscription you have. My lifetime S2 currently states - TiVo Service Level: C: 010913 and my annual Premiere states - TiVo Service Level: C: 011013
Old 12-18-2012, 12:01 PM   #7
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen

I bought another Tivo off of eBay that had a message that the subscription would automatically renew January 2013 using the credit card on file. It downloaded guide data fine.

On another related topic..
I heard about one guy that canceled his credit card when he was paying on a monthly plan that was for a year minimum. The company (not Tivo) sent the lack of payment to collections and it damaged his credit.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:36 AM   #8
jcthorne

The date in the service information is the date the Tivo will stop working if it does not contact tivo for status check.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:24 AM   #9
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
The date in the service information is the date the Tivo will stop working if it does not contact tivo for status check.
Depends on the software on the TiVo. Many TiVos will continue to work in the manual mode as long as the don't contact the 'mothership' by phone or internet.
They are very difficult to use like that, and don't have most of the features, but work OK like a VCR or for security or other uses.

Last edited by replaytv : 12-20-2012 at 09:53 PM. Reason: to add last line.