TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > Developers Corner
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-15-2012, 09:07 AM   #631
jcthorne

Now that pytivo supports pulling TS files to Series 4 units remuxed from mp4 on the fly containing h.264 video...

Any way vidmgr could now initiate a pull of the video rather than request a push via the mind server? If possible the transfer would begin almost instantly. mind server working or not....

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:12 AM   #632
jbernardis

Somebody else can chime in here, but I don't believe there is a way to initiate a pull from HME.
1 Win7 HTPC with Ceton Quad Tuner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

jbernardis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:51 AM   #633
lpwcomp

I don't use it, but I do not understand the reason for wanting vidmgr to initiate a pull. Do you really prefer the vidmgr interface that much?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:34 PM   #634
lrhorer

Absolutely! The NPL really sucks, especially on the Premiere, but badly so even on the S3. Vidmgr has some annoying limitations (imposed by the TiVo, not Jeff's coding), but it far exceeds the abilities of the NPL. It's not just the interface, either. It's the vast number of features in vidmgr. Grouping by genre, series, actor, director, producer, push date, record date, etc., is just not practical at all with the NPL. It can be done, of course, using symlinks, but it tends to be a highly manual process, and it's definitely not scalable. It's trivial with vidmgr. The amount of information presented to the viewer using vidmgr is several times that of the NPL user, and much of what is needed requires no extra button presses at all with vidmgr, or perhaps only 1, versus several button presses in the NPL.

I mean, come on. This:

vs. this:

and this:

vs. this:

Oh, please. What's just as important as the efficiency and the greater amount of information kept at the user's fingertips is the fact vidmgr is highly and easily configurable, while configuring the NPL presents a considerable challenge, one that is quite time consuming.

That, and I just skimmed through the "RAID Server" share in the NPL at top speed without reading any of the titles or drilling into any of the subdirectories. It took 2 minutes, 21 seconds. It took 32 seconds using vidmgr.

Suppose I wanted to transfer the video The Jewel of the Nile. Finding that video and initiating the transfer in vidmgr took just under 2 seconds. Doing the same in the NPL took 56 seconds, and I have a fairly highly optimized share.

One or two minutes may not sound like much, but repeat the process hundreds of times, and it adds up to many hours of time wasted using the NPL.

Last edited by lrhorer : 12-15-2012 at 01:44 PM.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:53 PM   #635
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbernardis View Post
Somebody else can chime in here, but I don't believe there is a way to initiate a pull from HME.
It surely would be nice if there were. (Actually, I think there is for the Premiere using RPC, but I can't say for the S2 or S3 platforms.)
Old 12-15-2012, 02:04 PM   #636
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
It surely would be nice if there were. (Actually, I think there is for the Premiere using RPC, but I can't say for the S2 or S3 platforms.)
Yes, it would be possible. Practical? No. There just isn't enough information available to the PC to properly navigate the TiVo.

As far as the vidmgr interface being preferable, I wasn't asking you. We all know what you think.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:20 PM   #637
cweb

The vidmgr interface is great. Much prefer it to anything else.

Have a new issue. It may involve cache corruption. I recently added a new drive and created a new vidmgr volume. The new drive and volume presently has just on directory which contains 126 supernatural episodes. When I list the shows in the new volume, 7 of the 126 show up as bones episodes. I've checked the metadata on the affected files and there is no Bones info contained.

There are bones episodes on the first volume and drive, but none one the second. The bones on drive 1 show up correctly. Also of note is that bones and supernatural are my only 100+ collections. I'm wondering if there is some type of error in the caching process. I have deleted and rebuilt the cache file with the same results. I don't believe there was an issue with the supernatural files before they were moved to the new drive / volume.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
cweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:24 PM   #638
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
Any way vidmgr could now initiate a pull of the video rather than request a push via the mind server?
Again, no.

wmcbrine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:05 AM   #639
jbernardis

Quote:
Originally Posted by cweb View Post
The vidmgr interface is great. Much prefer it to anything else.

Have a new issue. It may involve cache corruption. I recently added a new drive and created a new vidmgr volume. The new drive and volume presently has just on directory which contains 126 supernatural episodes. When I list the shows in the new volume, 7 of the 126 show up as bones episodes. I've checked the metadata on the affected files and there is no Bones info contained.

There are bones episodes on the first volume and drive, but none one the second. The bones on drive 1 show up correctly. Also of note is that bones and supernatural are my only 100+ collections. I'm wondering if there is some type of error in the caching process. I have deleted and rebuilt the cache file with the same results. I don't believe there was an issue with the supernatural files before they were moved to the new drive / volume.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
I'm wondering if its an issue with file ids. What is your setting for usefileid in your INI file, and what is your host operating system? There should be no issues at all with Linux, but I was never happy with the file identification algorithm I found for windows. In either case, if you are not creating multiple links to your video files, you can defeat this logic by turning this option off. It might be interesting to see if there is a difference.

Incidentally, there are no designed limits to the video cache. The artwork cache is limited to 100 images managed in a "least frequently used" fashion.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:29 AM   #640
lew

You could probably do something using the remote control protocol. KTTMG "autotune" sends the necessary commands so your tivo changes the channel on both tuners to a channel you don't receive.

Use the command to hit the select key to clear any pending message.
Use the command to go to your NPL. Use the command to go the bottom of your NPL. Select. You're now browsing videos located on your PC. Navigate based on where the show is located. Just hit the down command however many times it takes to go the show you want to pull.

I suspect the lag time, and reliability, will be worse then using the mind server and "pushing" the file.

edited to add:

lrhorer--I don't know the answer...would it make more sense to just use a DNLA server on your PC and a blu ray player connected to your TV set?

Last edited by lew : 12-18-2012 at 09:37 AM.
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:38 AM   #641
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Fortunately, an HME app terminates if you navigate out of it, so I don't even have to go into all the other problems with that idea.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:53 AM   #642
lew

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Fortunately, an HME app terminates if you navigate out of it, so I don't even have to go into all the other problems with that idea.
To be clear I wasn't asking for that feature. I don't think I'd use it if it was offered. I have a TivoHD and use PyTivo Manager because I want to initiate a push from the tivo interface.

Does it matter if the HME app terminates? You select a show to pull. A custom routine in an external program, maybe part of a modified pyTivo runs the necessary remote commands to initiate a "pull".

I don't want the feature. I wouldn't use it if it was offered. I don't even think it would work reliably. I think the "issues" would be far greater then current issues with the mind server.

I just wonder if such an approach is theoretically possible. May lrhorer could experiment with the coding, test it and get back to us.
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:54 AM   #643
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
lrhorer--I don't know the answer...would it make more sense to just use a DNLA server on your PC and a blu ray player connected to your TV set?
A DNLA server would be no big deal to implement, of course. I really don't want to buy 4 new BRD players, though, and I especially do not really want to have to deal with additional remote controls, additional TV inputs, and additional UIs. This is especialy true since the whole idea of getting vidmgr to do a pull is to allow us to have one one UI for both pushing and pulling.

It's really not that bad dealing with the occasional frailty of the mind server, but it would be nice to pull using vidmgr when needed.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:57 AM   #644
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
I just wonder if such an approach is theoretically possible. May lrhorer could experiment with the coding, test it and get back to us.
I'm not at all familiar with the HME protocol, and since Wiliam says it's at the very least not practical, I don't see a point in trying to familiarize myself with the protocol in order to attempt it.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:32 PM   #645
cweb

Quote:
I'm wondering if its an issue with file ids. What is your setting for usefileid in your INI file, and what is your host operating system? There should be no issues at all with Linux, but I was never happy with the file identification algorithm I found for windows. In either case, if you are not creating multiple links to your video files, you can defeat this logic by turning this option off. It might be interesting to see if there is a difference.
I am using OSX (Mac). When referring to the "usefileid" in my .ini file, are you referring to my vidmgr.ini file. In the file the is no "usefileid".

In vidmgr.dist I see your mention of "usefileid". I am not aware of my using any links. Should I set this variable to false?
Old 12-20-2012, 11:39 PM   #646
jbernardis

Not necessary. False is the default. I can't think of what it could be. Keep an eye on it to see if you can discern any clue that would be helpful. In the meantime, I can look at what I can do at cache building time to output some useful debugging information.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:25 AM   #647
cweb

Quote:
Not necessary. False is the default. I can't think of what it could be. Keep an eye on it to see if you can discern any clue that would be helpful. In the meantime, I can look at what I can do at cache building time to output some useful debugging information.
The vidmgr.dist says the default is true. Is that not so?
Old 12-21-2012, 05:52 PM   #648
jbernardis

Quote:
Originally Posted by cweb View Post
The vidmgr.dist says the default is true. Is that not so?
You're right - it is true. You can give it a shot. If you don't have your video files appear in multiple directories through links, then turning this off will not hurt you.

I know nothing about mac OS, but my understanding is that it is unix-like under the covers. If the OS is NOT WIN, then vidmgr uses the os.stat call to determine the true file identity (inode number) so that it can decide if two files are actually the same file. I'm not sure the behavior of this under Mac OS.

See what happens if you turn it off.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:26 PM   #649
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

OS X is built on Unix, but there are some oddities. For instance, it uses a case-preserving filesystem rather than a case-sensitive one. Mostly, apps won't need to worry about these things. AFAIK it's fully POSIX.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:59 PM   #650
cweb

Quote:
You're right - it is true. You can give it a shot. If you don't have your video files appear in multiple directories through links, then turning this off will not hurt you.

I know nothing about mac OS, but my understanding is that it is unix-like under the covers. If the OS is NOT WIN, then vidmgr uses the os.stat call to determine the true file identity (inode number) so that it can decide if two files are actually the same file. I'm not sure the behavior of this under Mac OS.

See what happens if you turn it off.
I turned it off, and it seems to have solved the problem. I'll have to work with it a while to see if some other issue rears its head as a result of the value being turned off. However, for now, so far so good.

As a side result, it was never bad, but the menus seem to be responding even faster now. Is this possible or just wishful thinking on my part.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:42 AM   #651
jbernardis

It shouldn't be any faster. All of the processing we are talking about here takes place when building the cache.

There also should be no I'll effects from turning the option off. Vidmgr gets the file ID number to determine if it's proceed the file already. When you turn this option off, all this routine does is return the next sequential number. The implication of this is that every file you look at is considered unique - which is the situation if you do not use any links.

The real question is what is happening in Mac OS to make this not work, and what needs to be done to fix it.

Watch it for a few weeks, and if it looks to be solved, I'll at least put a caveat in the readme file that the option should be set to false for Macs. I'll also try to research how os.stat works under Mac OS.

Old 12-22-2012, 01:47 PM   #652
cweb

Fabulous. I'll report back if I find any issues.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:27 PM   #653
curt1s

hme for python not working for me

Hello all,

I am trying to set up and run pytivo video manager for Windows, but I am running into a problem, and maybe someone can help me. I installed hmeforpython and read the README and set it up like it suggested. I then read the README for your application, and did the same. I run the server as so:

C:\Users\ch1\Downloads\hmeforpython-master>start.py
HME Server for Python 0.20
Sat Dec 29 17:56:23 2012 PyTivo Video Manager version 2.1b module initializing
Cache file does not exist - no thumbnails loaded
Sat Dec 29 17:56:23 2012 Server Starts
Registering: clock
Registering: tictactoe
Registering: vidmgr

When I go to my tivo, I see the apps there, but when I click on any of them I just get a "Please wait..." message, which is on the screen for a really long time then I get this error:

"An error occured while running the application. HTTP failure (Http connection error: 0x50005)"

Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

NOTE: I updated the vidmgr install, but still no luck running any of the hme apps.

I am running a Tivo Series3.

Thanks,

Last edited by curt1s : 12-29-2012 at 05:37 PM.
curt1s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:20 PM   #654
jbernardis

First of all, unless you are working with SD tv's and/or tivos, I recommend that you move to vidmgr 2.0. I haven't done any maintence on the original program (which is what version 0.7c is) for over a year and a half. 2.0 has many more features and is more likely where I'd make enhancements. Of course - it is HD only.

Now to your problem. Does this happen with ALL of the apps? or just with vidmgr? Is there ANY other information printed on computer screen. You give the first bit of the output there where the apps register, but does anything appear after that? I need more information.

What is your environment? Are you running this on a windows system or linux (or Mac OS)? How exactly are you running it? Are you starting it in the foreground of a terminal session? or are you running it in the background?

Do you have pytivo configured and running? Vidmgr relies on pytivo for the actual heavy lifting.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:32 AM   #655
curt1s

Yeah I upgraded to 2.0, like you suggested.

I think I have it all fixed now. I had to change the beacon method in hmeforpython.

Last edited by curt1s : 12-30-2012 at 04:00 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:58 PM   #656
curt1s

Nevermind, got all my errors figured out! Thanks!

Last edited by curt1s : 12-30-2012 at 06:54 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:14 PM   #657
curt1s

By the way, do we have to manually create metadata for mpgs and avi files? If so, what tool do you recommend? I tried used MetaGeneratorV2.0.6.1 but no matter what movie I typed in, it did not work.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:17 AM   #658
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt1s View Post
By the way, do we have to manually create metadata for mpgs and avi files?
That depends on from where they come. If the .mpg files came from a TiVo originally, then using kmttg will allow the user to have the metafiles created automatically. Other sources may offer other options, or not, as the case may be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt1s View Post
If so, what tool do you recommend? I tried used MetaGeneratorV2.0.6.1 but no matter what movie I typed in, it did not work.
As I mentioned, for transfers from the TiVo, use kmtttg. If you wish to use Metagenerator, you need to upgrade to the newest version. The web sites have changed their formats ove time, and in order to use them, you need Metagenerator version 3.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:29 AM   #659
cweb

On my Mac, when I delete a show using Vid Manager using the clear-thumbs up combo, it works mostly as expected. The file is removed from the list and from my hard drive. However, when I look at my Terminal log, it states that the delete has failed.

This is mostly an FYI, since the program is doing what it is suppose to. It just the error reporting that is incorrect.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:10 AM   #660
jbernardis

When you delete a video, vidmgr attempts to delete not only the video file itself, but also the metadata file and the artwork. For the latter two, it looks both in the main directory and in the .meta subdirectory. One by one, it attempts to delete the file (without checking for its existance first) using python's os.delete method. If this method reports failure, you will get the message you mentioned. This is most likely the case since I doubt that you have all five of these files.

This is working as designed. I felt it sort of redundant to check for a file's presence first if I was only going to delete it. I guess I could have been more aware of the nature of the failure, but I finally decided it wasn't really necessary.