TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > DVD TiVo Units (Archive)
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-18-2012, 11:07 PM   #61
dz2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by briandsloan View Post
UPDATE:

OK, I now do not necessarily think it is a software issue.

I literally spent all day trying to figure this out. I can’t say that I have absolutely done it, but I may have narrowed some things down.

My thought now is that it has to either do with electricity or some sort of wireless signal.

I recently purchased a Samsung LCD TV, and a Tivo Premiere, and I think possibly one of those is sending out a kill signal to the Toshiba Tivo. However, that doesn’t explain all the problems I have been having. I think there is a chance it is an electrical issue as well.

Here is my advice to anyone who is having this problem. Unplug the Tivo, take it into another room with a cable nub (wall outlet) or other cable connection, hook the Tivo up to a different TV, in that different room, with only the Tivo and TV plugged into the wall outlet, and a simple connection from the Tivo to the TV. For example: cable from wall to Tivo; RCA (composite) yellow from Tivo to TV; power from wall to both the Tivo and TV.

I have pages and pages of notes outlining my different attempts to figure all this out. I have plugged the same Tivo into different cable nubs throughout the house, into different electrical outlets, with different hard drives installed, and even using 30 foot cables and extension cords to try to shake things up a bit.

For some reason, I was consistently able to get the Tivo with the original 80 GB hard drive to work in the Guest Bedroom with only a TV and Tivo plugged into an outlet, but was also consistently UNABLE to get the Tivo to work in the Master Bedroom plugged into the new Samsung LCD TV and next to the new Tivo Premiere. This is what led me to believe that it is possibly a wireless signal thing that is being sent out by the Samsung or the Premiere. I did notice that the Samsung LCD has some sort of Anynet thing that is supposed to help make things work together. Note: I have a Humax Tivo plugged into the Samsung LCD, next to the Tivo Premiere, and it is working without a problem.

Interestingly, I was able to get a picture on the LCD in the Master Bedroom when I set up the Tivo to run in the Guest Bedroom, then ran a 30 foot RCA (composite) yellow cable from the guest bedroom to the Samsung LCD TV in the Master Bedroom. I have so far been unable to get the Tivo itself to work in the same room as the Samsung LCD, which also has the Tivo Premiere hooked up to it, which makes me think that something in there is affecting the Tivo itself, but does not affect the RCA (composite) cable when I run it 30 feet down the hall.

I am pretty sure, based on my experiments, that although the black screen, when things aren’t working, says “ Searching for Signal ” the problem has nothing to do with the cable itself. It is possible it has to do with the cable nub coming out of the wall, but I have hooked the Toshiba Tivo up to three different cables, in two different locations, and they all work perfectly. The only problem is when I hook up the Tivo using any cable with a cable nub located anywhere near the Samsung LCD TV and the Tivo Premiere.

I could further the experiment, and try to set the Tivo up in the same room, with the LCD TV unplugged, but I finally got the Toshiba Tivo hooked up in the Den, working perfectly (or so I thought, read below), and I don’t want to mess with it.

Here are a few aberrations with my experiments:
• When I plugged the Tivo in the Guest Bedroom - where it was consistently working perfectly – but I used a heavy duty extension cord, all I got was the black screen with no Live TV.
• Even in the guest bedroom, where the Tivo was consistently working perfectly with the original 80 GB hard drive installed, I could never get it to work with the 320 GB hard drive that I have been using for the past two months. However, when I finally attempted to set up the Tivo in the Den, and the 80 GB drive worked, I unplugged the power to the Tivo, replaced the 80 GB drive with the 320 GB drive, and for the first time in days, the 320 GB drive was getting a Live TV signal. Every time I tried in the past few days to get things to work with the 320 GB drive, all I got was the black screen
• When I was able to get the 320 GB drive working in the Den with the cable coming out of the wall, I unplugged the cable from the back, split the signal from the wall to go into the Toshiba SD-H400 Tivo, and also a Toshiba RS-TX60, and there were no problems with the signal to either of them
• When I put the Toshiba SD-H400 as the only Tivo receiving a signal from the wall, and let it run with live TV, exactly 20 minutes later, the picture started to digitize, and you could hear the hard drive making some weird skipping around noise. When I unplugged the cable from the back, plugged it back in, changed channels, it worked fine again… for about 30 minutes, then digitized again. I ended up doing a clear and delete everything, and I think my two month old 320 GB hard drive ended up dying. They don’t make em like they used to.
• When I was able to get the 80 GB drive to show Live TV in the guest bedroom, but was unable to get the 320 GB drive to show Live TV in the guest bedroom, they were both running off the same version of Tivo software: 9.3.2b-01-2-264
• When the Live TV worked, the yellow Live TV button on the front was always lit. When I did not get Live TV, the yellow Live TV button on the front was never lit

DIFFERENT UPDATE:

After finally setting up my original 80 GB hard drive in my SD-H400, and having it run for a few hours in the Den, everything seems to be working perfectly.

I then moved on to one of my Ebay purchases – a Toshiba SD-H400 that was known to have a problematic tuner. When I opened it up, I could see that you could spin the RF In nub, and it was very loose. I could get a TV signal if I held the Coaxial cable in at just the right angle, but any slight movement and the signal was gone.

So I did a full clear and delete, and tried to hold the cable in at just the right angle, but I got tired of that. So I unplugged the Tivo, opened up the lid, and found the metal housing of the RF (coaxial) nubs. I then pried the side closest to the perimeter open, which was the safest and best thing to do. There are little clips all around, and I just took a screwdriver to pry them off until the side just popped off.

Inside I saw that there was a piece of metal that was supposed to connect from the RF In nub to another piece of metal inside the metal housing. It was broken – the nub had been turned too hard by the previous owner that it snapped apart. I started working on it, while the Tivo was plugged in and on.

Here is what I found. When the metal between the nub and inside the housing was not touching, there was no signal to the cable, and the yellow Live TV light was not lit. Also, the black screen had “Searching for Signal.” This is exactly the same thing that has been happening with my other Tivo, and with other people’s Tivos.

So, while the Tivo was running, and the cable was plugged in from the wall to the loose RF In nub, I stuck a metal screwdriver between the broken pieces of metal, and all of the sudden, I got a picture on Live TV, and the yellow Live TV light on the front panel of the Tivo lit up.

Maybe all of our problems that we are having lately are caused by weak metal inside the RF housing.

All I know is that I was able to temporarily fix it by putting a metal screwdriver between the two pieces of metal, and after a few attempts, I was able to bend the metal together enough so that I would get Live TV without having to hold something in place.

So, if you want to test to see if the metal is a problem in your RF In nub, gently turn your RF In nub and see if it moves, or jiggles. If it does, the metal might be weak, and you may want to try to open up the RF housing inside the TIvo and bend the metal pieces together, or solder it back together – something I don’t know how to do. There is a screw between the two RF nubs on the back of the Tivo (seen from the outside). You do not need to remove that screw.

By the way, I have no electrical background. If I can open up a Tivo and fiddle around with it, you can too. Of course, don’t hold me responsible if you further break your Tivo. However, I have been opening up my Tivos for years now, and have fixed the DVD Loading problems that I used to get – it is simply caused by dust – I wrote another posting on solving that issue. I haven’t lost a Tivo yet.

When you open up your Tivo, just be sure to stay away from the battery-looking things on the inside near where you would plug in the electrical cord. I only know that from reading other posts – supposedly they will hold a charge after the electricity is cut off. Best to stay away from all the battery looking things.

I hope this helps someone, and if you have what I call a “perpetual loading” problem on your DVD player, here is my other post:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...petual+loading
thanks for the time and detail of your post. my moms toshiba sd-h400 wouldnt boot past "powering up" so she had brought it to me because i knew that was an hdd issue having known my own dvr. after replacing the hdd, then came the "no signal detected on: cable in" video issue within the tivo gui, which was unexpected. It was troubleshooting a couple weeks to try to figure out a combo that would work to no avail. (ex. coax only, composite only, mix, etc.) i got soo frustrasted after a couple google searches, i put it up for sell and sent back the tivo wifi adapter i bought for it.

well, within the next week, i was prepared again for a challenge so i plugged it up and whoila...i have a cable picture. lol. now i stopped the potential sell of it and had to get those accessories back like the tivo wifi adapter, etc. by the time i got them back, i had been through a power outage, guide info had run out, and now im back to the "no signal detected on: cable in" video issue. lol. then i started the google searches again and came across a lot of people with this issue and this post was very helpful and also another as far as how to connect up tivo to cable box on another site. i hadnt noticed the live tv yellow button not being on anymore (but recall seeing it light up the room) and the rf in nub was a little loose but after tightening from outside..still nothing. so i opened the tivo casing(while unplugged and always ground yourself) and got my butterknife to undo those pesky metal clamps at the top of the rf casing. it looks like the metal part that touches the rf in is in place but i still tried to force it closer in with a screwdriver. well, i then plugged it back up and have live tv on the front of tivo and picture on the screen! that is too crazy. i, like others, was getting cable after turning off tivo, through the tivo rf out so that gave me hope. also, when plugging coax from wall to tivo and coax from tivo out to tv after pulling it out of the closet..i thought i had another chance to get it restored.

i currently have it working through my cable box. i would suggest have coax from wall to cable box in, composite cable from cable box out to tivo composite in, and coax out from tivo to tv.. it is switching channels on the cable box with the ir cable. also, when going through guided setup, it said "found video signal" on composite so that made me happy. im a moxi person but i take from my mom in that she likes dvrs i suppose. we will see if it stays working when i send the tivo back to moms though...lol. it should be ok but its a hassle when power is interrupted for any reason.

update: my mom got the tivo and although live tv didn't work after she 1st plugged it up, 1 powercycle of the box and its good to go. i hope power isnt interrupted anytime soon.

Last edited by dz2k : 09-29-2012 at 10:14 AM.
dz2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:26 PM   #62
trubel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk1974 View Post
Sounds like yours is in the exact same situation as mine. No idea why it suddenly crapped out too. Did you try both the coax input as well as one from a cable box? I had no success with either.
What was the problem?
trubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:36 PM   #63
jetmanjo

I know this thread started a couple years back. I am not sure if folks just gave up, but I have not really seen any real solution with the problem that so many of us have been plagued with re: the Toshiba SD-h400. I have the exact same symptoms that others have mentioned. Video feeds through the tivo just fine when it is in standby but when powered on, get the screen that shows "Searching for signal on cable box in. see 'messages & Settings' / ' Troubleshooting' for info." I have tried all the remedies listed here, but get absolutely no where. I can watch the shows that previously recorded and am able to transfer shows to the sd-h400 from my other series 3 but because it does not acquire the cable box's feed, it does not record any new content which is a real bummer! My tivo is hooked to a Motorola cable box with the serial cable and the tivo changes the channels on the cable box, however they are all the same black screen with same message. It would be nice to know if someone out there has found any kind of solution to this problem. Mine started when my UPS went out and tivo powered down. It is almost like there is a time limit built in to this model to stop working after a specified number of years or hours?! I Bought the Lifetime Subscription for mine years ago, and upgraded the hard drive back in 2007 and it has been working very well for me up until now. Any help out there at all? I am willing to try to get this thing going again as I need the recording live t.v. capability! Anything? Anyone? Help!
jetmanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:43 PM   #64
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmanjo View Post
I know this thread started a couple years back. I am not sure if folks just gave up, but I have not really seen any real solution with the problem that so many of us have been plagued with re: the Toshiba SD-h400. I have the exact same symptoms that others have mentioned. Video feeds through the tivo just fine when it is in standby but when powered on, get the screen that shows "Searching for signal on cable box in. see 'messages & Settings' / ' Troubleshooting' for info." I have tried all the remedies listed here, but get absolutely no where. I can watch the shows that previously recorded and am able to transfer shows to the sd-h400 from my other series 3 but because it does not acquire the cable box's feed, it does not record any new content which is a real bummer! My tivo is hooked to a Motorola cable box with the serial cable and the tivo changes the channels on the cable box, however they are all the same black screen with same message. It would be nice to know if someone out there has found any kind of solution to this problem. Mine started when my UPS went out and tivo powered down. It is almost like there is a time limit built in to this model to stop working after a specified number of years or hours?! I Bought the Lifetime Subscription for mine years ago, and upgraded the hard drive back in 2007 and it has been working very well for me up until now. Any help out there at all? I am willing to try to get this thing going again as I need the recording live t.v. capability! Anything? Anyone? Help!
Sounds like some of the TiVo software got scrambled when the power failed.

Perhaps changing to the alternate boot partitions would help.

WinMFS has a fixboot thingie, option 1 sets you to boot from 2,3, and 4, option 2 sets you to boot from 5,6, and 7.

mfsinfo tells you what it's set for currently

I think there's supposed to be a kickstart # that toggles you to the other set, but I'm not certain. 51 or 52 maybe.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:45 PM   #65
unitron

Quote:
And furthermore, pull the drive and run the manufacturer's diagnostic long test.

You should be able to find it on the Ultimate Boot CD.

Old 10-29-2012, 05:46 PM   #66
unitron

Quote:
And furthrer furthermore, suspect the power supply of capacitor plague.

Old 10-29-2012, 11:49 PM   #67
dz2k

unplug it for a few days and pray that it shows a tv picture when re-plugged.
dz2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:28 PM   #68
srix9

I just encountered this exact same problem with my Toshiba SD-H400 after a power outage yesterday. I've cycled the power several times (including leaving it unplugged for about 20 hours) with no luck. I'm running through the guided set up now and keeping my fingers crossed that it will fix the problem, but I'm not all that hopeful.

Any other new thoughts on this problem (other than what's already been mentioned in this thread)?

It's a very strange problem in that the Tivo system operates fully (can scroll through the menus, play recorded programs, etc.) and it's just the live cable will not go through. Definitely makes me think tuner, perhaps I will open it up and see if anything looks out of the ordinary...
srix9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:53 PM   #69
srix9

Quote:
Originally Posted by srix9 View Post
I just encountered this exact same problem with my Toshiba SD-H400 after a power outage yesterday. I've cycled the power several times (including leaving it unplugged for about 20 hours) with no luck. I'm running through the guided set up now and keeping my fingers crossed that it will fix the problem, but I'm not all that hopeful.

Any other new thoughts on this problem (other than what's already been mentioned in this thread)?

It's a very strange problem in that the Tivo system operates fully (can scroll through the menus, play recorded programs, etc.) and it's just the live cable will not go through. Definitely makes me think tuner, perhaps I will open it up and see if anything looks out of the ordinary...
Well, just for anyone who stumbles across this, here's a quick (and unhelpful) update. Finishing the guided set up did not fix the problem; I then did another power cycle or two (don't remember if I did it twice this time or not?) and surprise surprise, it turned on and I have live tv. So now I guess I'll just hope the power stays on and this doesn't happen again!
srix9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:02 PM   #70
photobrian

This topic is old, however the problem obviously still plagues many of us so I wanted to share my experience with this issue. I have two of these boxes and I have had them for many years working without issue using the "tivo basic" service. It seems a somewhat common thread with a lot of these problems is the unit(s) losing power suddenly from something like a power outage which is something we just had here the other night. I woke up to BOTH units displaying the same symptoms/problems as covered in this thread and they are both hooked up in different rooms in completely different configurations. One is hooked up to a cable box being commanded by a serial cable, input is RCA cable and output is COMPONENT video. The other unit is hooked up using a DTA converter via COAX and output is Svideo.

To resolve this issue I have found the following. There is a setting in the menu/settings options under "Video" called "Change video input" or something to that effect and basically the unit detects which input is being used and attempts to switch you to a different one..I.E. if you are using the coax input you can switch to RCA input or the other way around.

Our unit with the comcast DTA box would not work no matter how many times it was reset as others have noted when doing a power toggle of the unit you could in fact see signal was passing through. Going into the "change video input" the unit acted as if the only option available was to plug in RCA cables..it gave no other choice. What I did which immediately resolved the issue was I disconnected the DTA and plugged in the cable line coming directly from the wall into the tivo's analog input. Our cable has been completely switched over to digital so there is no way it will be able to tune a channel but my thought was maybe it will see the signal. After connection I went back into the menu/settings for video and selected "change video input" and it immediately asked me what channel did my tv need to be on to display and then it asked me if I could see the video in the background which I could(however it was a warning message from Comcast staying to hook up the DTA). I then completed the setup it told me I successfully changed my video input and I moved the COAX cable back to the DTA and connected the DTA back to the tivo input and it was 100% working as normal.

Hopefully this may help someone in their own troubleshooting, I just wanted to share my experience since I was able to resolve the issue after many failed attempts at resetting/unplugging, etc, etc.

-brian
photobrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:16 PM   #71
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by photobrian View Post
This topic is old, however the problem obviously still plagues many of us so I wanted to share my experience with this issue. I have two of these boxes and I have had them for many years working without issue using the "tivo basic" service. It seems a somewhat common thread with a lot of these problems is the unit(s) losing power suddenly from something like a power outage which is something we just had here the other night. I woke up to BOTH units displaying the same symptoms/problems as covered in this thread and they are both hooked up in different rooms in completely different configurations. One is hooked up to a cable box being commanded by a serial cable, input is RCA cable and output is COMPONENT video. The other unit is hooked up using a DTA converter via COAX and output is Svideo.

To resolve this issue I have found the following. There is a setting in the menu/settings options under "Video" called "Change video input" or something to that effect and basically the unit detects which input is being used and attempts to switch you to a different one..I.E. if you are using the coax input you can switch to RCA input or the other way around.

Our unit with the comcast DTA box would not work no matter how many times it was reset as others have noted when doing a power toggle of the unit you could in fact see signal was passing through. Going into the "change video input" the unit acted as if the only option available was to plug in RCA cables..it gave no other choice. What I did which immediately resolved the issue was I disconnected the DTA and plugged in the cable line coming directly from the wall into the tivo's analog input. Our cable has been completely switched over to digital so there is no way it will be able to tune a channel but my thought was maybe it will see the signal. After connection I went back into the menu/settings for video and selected "change video input" and it immediately asked me what channel did my tv need to be on to display and then it asked me if I could see the video in the background which I could(however it was a warning message from Comcast staying to hook up the DTA). I then completed the setup it told me I successfully changed my video input and I moved the COAX cable back to the DTA and connected the DTA back to the tivo input and it was 100% working as normal.

Hopefully this may help someone in their own troubleshooting, I just wanted to share my experience since I was able to resolve the issue after many failed attempts at resetting/unplugging, etc, etc.

-brian
Congratulations, you're a genius!

Or at least clever and determined.

But check the power supply caps anyway.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:02 AM   #72
photobrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Congratulations, you're a genius!

Or at least clever and determined.

But check the power supply caps anyway.

I'm sure you know way more than I do being that you have 8k posts on a TIVO forum/community but I read all of the posts from page one and nobody mentioned the menu setting I did as far as changing the INPUT it *thinks* it is using. I have two units both had the exact same issue after a power outage and both were resolved using the same method essentially introducing it to a signal that for some reason it could no longer detect in it's configuration it was in before the power went out. IF you try to swap the input method with NOTHING connected, the unit will not let you do anything so it KNOWS there is something plugged in to it be that a coax cable or an RCA, etc. If that has something to do with power supply caps then sure, check that I have no idea I'm just trying to help by adding what to me looks like new information to a topic that is several years old. Take it or leave it I guess.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:15 AM   #73
unitron

Quote:
I'm sure you know way more than I do being that you have 8k posts on a TIVO forum/community but I read all of the posts from page one and nobody mentioned the menu setting I did as far as changing the INPUT it *thinks* it is using. I have two units both had the exact same issue after a power outage and both were resolved using the same method essentially introducing it to a signal that for some reason it could no longer detect in it's configuration it was in before the power went out. IF you try to swap the input method with NOTHING connected, the unit will not let you do anything so it KNOWS there is something plugged in to it be that a coax cable or an RCA, etc. If that has something to do with power supply caps then sure, check that I have no idea I'm just trying to help by adding what to me looks like new information to a topic that is several years old. Take it or leave it I guess.
I was sincerely complimenting you.

You thought of something that would probably have never occurred to me.

But those units are of the correct vintage to be at risk for strange symptoms caused by power supply problems caused by "capacitor plague", so it's a good idea to eliminate that possibility as a part of the troubleshooting process.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:23 PM   #74
DM3MD157

Photobrian, how did you fix your TiVo that was connected to the cable box via RCA? Did it give you the options to connect RCA when you tried to change the input?
DM3MD157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:33 AM   #75
photobrian

Quote:
I was sincerely complimenting you.

You thought of something that would probably have never occurred to me.

But those units are of the correct vintage to be at risk for strange symptoms caused by power supply problems caused by "capacitor plague", so it's a good idea to eliminate that possibility as a part of the troubleshooting process.
Cool, no problem. I honestly wasn't sure if you were being sarcastic or not. I do have some background in troubleshooting and diagnostics etc but I'll be the first to admit I know squat about a TIVO.

The other one connected VIA RCA I restarted the tivo and the cable box (unplugged/cycled) with no RCA's connected then connected the two together while powering up. I'm thinking it has to do with needing the signal input to be tripped. If it doesn't see input on the RCA, it defaults to coax input so you can ask it to switch if it doesn't do it by itself. It's happened in the past and a combination of those things has always brought it back. The one on the DTA/coax has literally never had this problem so it was strange when being connected differently they both had the same problem albeit slightly different resolutions to what I believe is the same problem. I just want my tivo to live forever.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:42 AM   #76
unitron

Quote:
Cool, no problem. I honestly wasn't sure if you were being sarcastic or not. I do have some background in troubleshooting and diagnostics etc but I'll be the first to admit I know squat about a TIVO.

The other one connected VIA RCA I restarted the tivo and the cable box (unplugged/cycled) with no RCA's connected then connected the two together while powering up. I'm thinking it has to do with needing the signal input to be tripped. If it doesn't see input on the RCA, it defaults to coax input so you can ask it to switch if it doesn't do it by itself. It's happened in the past and a combination of those things has always brought it back. The one on the DTA/coax has literally never had this problem so it was strange when being connected differently they both had the same problem albeit slightly different resolutions to what I believe is the same problem. I just want my tivo to live forever.
While setting up S1s and S2s so that I could "tune" to channel 1 or channel 0 and get whatever was being fed into the line iputs (RCA jacks and S-Video jack), I'd have to lie during Guided Setup about having a satellite receiver connected.

I discovered that I'd also have to have an active video signal already on either the yellow jack or the S-Video jack before starting the satellite receiver part of GS or it wouln't ever give me the chance to do it.

So apparently there's something in the TiVo DNA that freaks out over a lack of signal where there's supposed to be one.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:26 PM   #77
DM3MD157

Unfortunately this didn't work for me.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:43 PM   #78
DM3MD157

When I go to change the input, it tells me to hook it up from the cable box to the TiVo with composite cables. I hooked it up with composite as it tells me and still I get a black screen.

I tried to hook up the DTA as Photobrian stated and it continues to tell me to hook it up with composite RCA cables and produces a black screen (which it does with my other Series 2 as well, but that works).

Any other suggestions? Unitron, I looked at my power supply and there doesn't appear to be any bubbling of capacitors, is that what I should be looking for? I am almost ready to write this off as a loss since I have been working at this for 10+ hours.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:16 PM   #79
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM3MD157 View Post
When I go to change the input, it tells me to hook it up from the cable box to the TiVo with composite cables. I hooked it up with composite as it tells me and still I get a black screen.

I tried to hook up the DTA as Photobrian stated and it continues to tell me to hook it up with composite RCA cables and produces a black screen (which it does with my other Series 2 as well, but that works).

Any other suggestions? Unitron, I looked at my power supply and there doesn't appear to be any bubbling of capacitors, is that what I should be looking for? I am almost ready to write this off as a loss since I have been working at this for 10+ hours.
While I go back to to read this entire thread, tell us what equipment you have, what you're doing for cable and satellite and over the air, and what your problem is.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:17 PM   #80
DM3MD157

My SD-H400 is connected to a Xfinity DTA via Coax. Output is Composite RCA to standard definition TV. I had it working perfectly with the DTA, IIRC when I did the initial guided setup for this configuration, I do recall that the video hookup told me to connect the cable box to the TiVo via RCA. The input was Coax, but it worked fine.

Then we had a storm that briefly cut the lights for about 5 seconds. That is when the A/V input from the DTA stopped working. I get a black screen when I try to turn on live TV. When I unplug the TiVo, the A/V passes through to the TV with no problems. To rule out software issues, I restored the image I downloaded onto a different HD with the same results. I even hooked up the composite RCA inputs that came off a DVR. No matter how I connect the input to the TiVo (Coax & RCA), I get a black screen when trying to watch live tTV. It says that it is searching for signal.

I have the same issue as most the people in this thread, the reset fix didn't work for me. I tried Photobrian's fix with no results. Nothing seems to work at all.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:30 AM   #81
unitron

Quote:
My SD-H400 is connected to a Xfinity DTA via Coax. Output is Composite RCA to standard definition TV. I had it working perfectly with the DTA, IIRC when I did the initial guided setup for this configuration, I do recall that the video hookup told me to connect the cable box to the TiVo via RCA. The input was Coax, but it worked fine.

Then we had a storm that briefly cut the lights for about 5 seconds. That is when the A/V input from the DTA stopped working. I get a black screen when I try to turn on live TV. When I unplug the TiVo, the A/V passes through to the TV with no problems. To rule out software issues, I restored the image I downloaded onto a different HD with the same results. I even hooked up the composite RCA inputs that came off a DVR. No matter how I connect the input to the TiVo (Coax & RCA), I get a black screen when trying to watch live tTV. It says that it is searching for signal.

I have the same issue as most the people in this thread, the reset fix didn't work for me. I tried Photobrian's fix with no results. Nothing seems to work at all.
Let me make sure I understand.

Your digital transport adapter has an F-81 fitting (threaded thing) for co-axial cable for input from the cable company and the same thing for output to something with an analog tuner, and you set a switch on the back of the DTA to either channel 3 or channel 4, and tune the analog tuner (whether it's in a television or a TiVo or a VCR or whatever) to the same channel (3 or 4) and then change the channel being received by the DTA with the DTA's remote or buttons on it, or you let something impersonate the DTA's remote?

Correct?

Old 12-15-2012, 08:51 PM   #82
DM3MD157

Quote:
Let me make sure I understand.

Your digital transport adapter has an F-81 fitting (threaded thing) for co-axial cable for input from the cable company and the same thing for output to something with an analog tuner, and you set a switch on the back of the DTA to either channel 3 or channel 4, and tune the analog tuner (whether it's in a television or a TiVo or a VCR or whatever) to the same channel (3 or 4) and then change the channel being received by the DTA with the DTA's remote or buttons on it, or you let something impersonate the DTA's remote?

Correct?
Yup! That is correct. I have used both the coax output and RCA output from the TiVo to the TV. At first I thought the coax input on the TiVo was blown, but when I used the RCA input on the TiVo and still didn't get any input signal.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:24 PM   #83
unitron

Quote:
Yup! That is correct. I have used both the coax output and RCA output from the TiVo to the TV. At first I thought the coax input on the TiVo was blown, but when I used the RCA input on the TiVo and still didn't get any input signal.
I should have said F-61, that's the kind with the threads on one end and a soldering point connected to the inner conductor on the other end and is made for panel mounting. The F-81 is threaded on both ends--it's a coupler.

So you have a TV that can tune the old analog channels 3 and 4, and if you hook the digital transport adapter straight to the TV's tuner and tune the TV to either 3 or 4 you can see what the DTA is putting out as a channel 3 or 4 signal?

Does the back of your DTA look like the picture here:

http://blog.trebacz.com/2010/03/comc...t-adapter.html

RF IN RF OUT 3-4 Switch IR IN Power IN

and no RCA outs? (yellow, white, red)

or does it look more like this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Comcast-Xfin...item35c27ee273

Look soon before listing is removed

Or does it look more like this:

http://www.wirelessgoodness.com/2011...-hits-the-fcc/

Do you have an old VCR ?

Old 12-15-2012, 10:58 PM   #84
DM3MD157

I believe it's the Pace DC50XU judging from the pictures on the internet. There is only coax in and coax out, no HDMI/Composite/Component.

That is correct, if I hook up the DTA directly to the TV and turn to channel 3/4 the picture comes in with no problem. I even hooked up the composite connections from my downstairs DVR to the inputs in the TiVo and it still didn't display any picture. The TiVo says "searching for signal" or something to that effect when I try to watch live TV.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:25 PM   #85
unitron

Quote:
I believe it's the Pace DC50XU judging from the pictures on the internet. There is only coax in and coax out, no HDMI/Composite/Component.

That is correct, if I hook up the DTA directly to the TV and turn to channel 3/4 the picture comes in with no problem. I even hooked up the composite connections from my downstairs DVR to the inputs in the TiVo and it still didn't display any picture. The TiVo says "searching for signal" or something to that effect when I try to watch live TV.
I don't suppose your DVR has an "antenna" type output (threaded thingie, channel 3-4 switch)?

Does anything in the house have that?

Old 12-16-2012, 10:29 PM   #86
DM3MD157

My DVR has a coax output (the same threaded antenna connector as the input). There is a 3-4 switch on the back of the TiVo. Not sure if I am answering the question?
Old 12-16-2012, 10:36 PM   #87
unitron

Quote:
My DVR has a coax output (the same threaded antenna connector as the input). There is a 3-4 switch on the back of the TiVo. Not sure if I am answering the question?
I meant to say DVD.

Didn't you mention having a DVD player somewhere upthread?

I'm trying to see if you have some source of analog channel 3 or 4 signal (other than the DTA) whose output can be connected to the TiVo's RF input.

Old 12-16-2012, 11:42 PM   #88
DM3MD157

Quote:
I meant to say DVD.

Didn't you mention having a DVD player somewhere upthread?

I'm trying to see if you have some source of analog channel 3 or 4 signal (other than the DTA) whose output can be connected to the TiVo's RF input.
No DVD player other than the one that is built into the TiVo. I do have an old mono VCR somewhere in the closet.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:00 AM   #89
unitron

Quote:
No DVD player other than the one that is built into the TiVo. I do have an old mono VCR somewhere in the closet.
If that VCR can get an analog channel straight off of the cable telling you there aren't any analog channels on their cable system any more ( ), that'll work, as long as it can output it as an analog channel 2 or 3 or 4 signal.

I want something other than the DTA feeding the TiVo an analog RF signal while you tune the TiVo to channel 0, channel 1, channel 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, etc up to 13.

No RCA involved unless you want to connect the TiVo's output to the TV set's input that way, but you've got to be able to see TiVo menus and previously recorded stuff in the Now Playing List on the television set before starting the experiment.

If no joy, you may need to open up the TiVo and open up the tuner module to check to see if the connection to the F-61's center conductor is broken or melted/fused (in the blow a fuse and break a circuit sense, not the melt two things together sense).

The RF input to the TiVo is straightforward and easier to troubleshoot than the RCA inputs.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:17 PM   #90
DM3MD157

Quote:
If that VCR can get an analog channel straight off of the cable telling you there aren't any analog channels on their cable system any more ( ), that'll work, as long as it can output it as an analog channel 2 or 3 or 4 signal.

I want something other than the DTA feeding the TiVo an analog RF signal while you tune the TiVo to channel 0, channel 1, channel 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, etc up to 13.

No RCA involved unless you want to connect the TiVo's output to the TV set's input that way, but you've got to be able to see TiVo menus and previously recorded stuff in the Now Playing List on the television set before starting the experiment.

If no joy, you may need to open up the TiVo and open up the tuner module to check to see if the connection to the F-61's center conductor is broken or melted/fused (in the blow a fuse and break a circuit sense, not the melt two things together sense).

The RF input to the TiVo is straightforward and easier to troubleshoot than the RCA inputs.
I don't think there are any analog signals coming out of the wall. Perhaps playing a video tape would suffice? I already opened up the tuner module, at least the sides. I saw no loose connections or burnt resistors. The strange thing is that the RCA inputs also do not yield any video as well. And when I try to run the video settings the default connection it tells you to use is RCA.