TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-10-2012, 03:25 PM   #1
BenKenobi

Hard drive died.

So it looks like my hard drive died in my Premiere. It's only been a little over 2 years, too.

Before sinking money into a new TiVo, should I call customer service and see if they'll help me out on replacing it? I mean, having been a loyal TiVo customer for 6 years has to amount to something, right?
BenKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:44 PM   #2
jrtroo
User

TiVo will likely have a repair option for you. Drives are also available from third parties to install yourself. May be the best option for price and speed since you would not have to ship your unit.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:14 PM   #3
BenKenobi

The 3rd party drives seem to be well over $100.

Right now the exact same unit I have is on sale for $60 ($50 for refurb) ... So I may go that route. Bums me out, if this had been a couple months from now, I may have just upgraded to the 4-tuner version. I don't have the money for it right now though.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:22 PM   #4
jrtroo
User

TIvo will probably charge 150 or more for a new drive.

If you purchase the $60 unit, you could always copy the software yourself to a larger drive for the broken unit.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:31 PM   #5
BenKenobi

I may do that. Once I get some money in, get a 2TB drive and copy. Then put the old drive in the broken one and have me a premiere in the bedroom. Then if the kids ever clean their room, they can have the Series 2 DT I've got sitting in a box.

It can be any drive (I mean I'd imagine the brand/model is specific), or does it have to be bought from somewhere special?
Old 12-10-2012, 05:14 PM   #6
BenKenobi

Just talked to someone on the phone. They tried something called a "Kickstart 54" which based on my research is a hard drive test. It pretty much ignored me (though the lights did flash like they should) and proceeded to work its way to the GSOD.

Should I maybe try some of the other codes (52 or 57 sound interesting).

...but anyways, after several failed attempts at what he tried to get the tivo to do, they offered an exchange for $79. So, according to him, I can buy a new Premiere now for $60, then in a couple months get an exchange for $79. If I want to go the legit and warranty-friendly route.

Of course, a 2TB drive in my broken Premiere sounds nicer. :-D
Old 12-10-2012, 06:29 PM   #7
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenKenobi View Post
I may do that. Once I get some money in, get a 2TB drive and copy. Then put the old drive in the broken one and have me a premiere in the bedroom. Then if the kids ever clean their room, they can have the Series 2 DT I've got sitting in a box.

It can be any drive (I mean I'd imagine the brand/model is specific), or does it have to be bought from somewhere special?
I think this is the current 2 TB drive most use.
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:47 PM   #8
BenKenobi

Yeah I'd much rather do that than exchange my broken one (and have to pay shipping there AND back presumably... on top of the $79) ...

Only downside is I'd have to crack open the brand new one, therefore voiding the warranty, right?
Old 12-10-2012, 06:48 PM   #9
scole250

To install a new 2TB, you'll need a drive image to copy. If your current drive is toast, you won't be able to use that one. Does DVR Upgrade still offer that or is there another, ethical, way?
Old 12-10-2012, 08:19 PM   #10
BenKenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by scole250 View Post
Does DVR Upgrade still offer that or is there another, ethical, way?
I'm not sure what you're asking... tech support's offer was an exchange for $79 where I would send them my tivo in exchange for a new working one.

Any other time and that'd be a tempting offer, but they're running a special until Friday for New and Refurbished Premieres for $60 and $50 (respectively).

I'm almost tempted to, once I'm in a position to swap out the drive for a 2tb, buy another drive to keep as a backup in case this happens again... unless there's some way to store the image on my computer? (I'm vaguely familiar with some of this, I've done a small amount of research) From what I've read, there's no way to "extract" the software from the TiVo Premiere or something?
Old 12-11-2012, 02:47 AM   #11
BenKenobi

Oh and an added bonus which I thought was cool.

The guy on the phone (Hussein) wanted me to do the troubleshooting stuff ... Well my middle kid was using the TV playing Wii and I explained that I needed to use the tv, and he wasn't too thrilled.

So Hussein says: Tell him that Hussein from TiVo says that if he's really quiet through this, he'll send you a surprise. So both my older kids (8 and 5) stay quiet through the whole thing, though towards the end the repetition was getting to them (constant rebooting of the tivo and failed attempts to kickstart it) ... But they stayed quiet, and he said he'd send me two TiVo plushes for being good. Hopefully they actually arrive (he did confirm my address), or my kids forget about it.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:37 AM   #12
JZC

Any time I have a hard drive problem, either in my Tivo or in my PC, I run SpinRite (http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm) on it. It is the best hard drive repair tool out there. For a Tivo drive, you do need to connect it to a PC in order to run it on the drive.
JZC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:27 AM   #13
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenKenobi View Post
Only downside is I'd have to crack open the brand new one, therefore voiding the warranty, right?
Well, technically yes.

However, there are no tamper seals or any other physical means to indicate that the box has been opened.
If all you do is take out the drive to copy it and then put it back in, TiVo will be none the wiser.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:26 AM   #14
ducker

this is the prime case for why it's important to actually upgrade your drive as soon as you get your Tivo, and put the original away for safe keeping!

Maybe there's someone in your area that has an archived original HD you can borrow to snag the image.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:03 PM   #15
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen

If you are in the Denver area, I will sell you a working Premiere for $35 and you can just change out the hard drives. And you will have a backup power supply and such too! I will not ship it.

There are lots of Premieres on craigslist. They show the price too high, but if you refer them to the sales on the internet you can probably get one for cheap.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote