TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2012, 06:22 PM   #5671
cwoody222
Registered User
 
cwoody222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 10,992
Bad news... Got a letter from TW today stating that they're moving DOZENS of more channels to SDV. THeyre supposedly "lesser watched" ones but they include popular ones like HBO (all), Showtime (all).

This is gonna suck as more and more and more of my shows are recorded as black screens.

TiVo...fix the stupid SDV adapter so it's more reliable!!!
__________________
--Chris
cwoody222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:43 PM   #5672
franzey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoody222 View Post

TiVo...fix the stupid SDV adapter so it's more reliable!!!
I am not sure this is a tivo thing. I think TWC does the adapters. However I cannot agree more. I've had TWC out to my house 4 times because of various issues related to channels that are switched. It's becoming extremely annoying. The adapters works some of the time at best and support has almost no experience with them (nor do they care about them in my opinion). Twice in 4 months, I've had someone out and the support tech said mine is the only one he's ever worked with.
franzey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:50 PM   #5673
cwoody222
Registered User
 
cwoody222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 10,992
I blame both since they created the technology together.

They got it "sorta" working and then stopped.

I don't bother reporting it to TW because the ONLY thing they do is offer to send a tech which is worthless and just a waste of my time.
__________________
--Chris
cwoody222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:47 AM   #5674
jsmata1977
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1
I am new to TWC but not Tivo. I had my service hooked up after a move on Monday. All channels were working fine but then last night I noticed channels were no longer receiving signal, mainly TruTv & CMT as well as C-Span. Contacted TW and they said I needed to call and have my Tivo boxes activated on their service. Call the # and they have no idea what Im talking about or why the rep told me this info. Anyone know what is going on? I have basic cable lineup with no m-cards. I was told I didnt need them since I wasnt ordering premium channels. Was that incorrect info also? The same channels are out on both Tivos so I doubt its a hardware issue. Please help if possible! Im already fed up with TW after only a few days.
jsmata1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:42 AM   #5675
cwoody222
Registered User
 
cwoody222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 10,992
My dad is upgrading this weekend to HD cable and trading his TiVo S2 for a Premiere.

I had coached him on what to say to TW at their local office. Good thing because he said they insisted that "TiVo won't work with our equipment". He said if he hadn't known what I had told him for months he likely would have just ordered their DVR and returned his TiVo.

It's almost 2013... why is this still happening?!?!

I'm nervous they're not going to bring the CableCARD and/or SDV box for the install... I'm going to have to double-check.

I'm going to be there for the install to see how big of an idiot the installer is.

They also didn't know if the modem for their Internet service included a wireless router or not.
__________________
--Chris
cwoody222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:38 AM   #5676
tatergator1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmata1977 View Post
I am new to TWC but not Tivo. I had my service hooked up after a move on Monday. All channels were working fine but then last night I noticed channels were no longer receiving signal, mainly TruTv & CMT as well as C-Span. Contacted TW and they said I needed to call and have my Tivo boxes activated on their service. Call the # and they have no idea what Im talking about or why the rep told me this info. Anyone know what is going on? I have basic cable lineup with no m-cards. I was told I didnt need them since I wasnt ordering premium channels. Was that incorrect info also? The same channels are out on both Tivos so I doubt its a hardware issue. Please help if possible! Im already fed up with TW after only a few days.
I assume you have plugged the coax cable directly from the wall to your Tivo and are receiving most of your Basic Cable channels via the old Analog signals. Based on the channels you're referencing and the fact you do not have a CableCard, these channels have likely been moved to a Digital only broadcast.

The only way to receive these channels via your Tivo would be get a CableCard from TWC so that the Tivo can decode the encrpyted Digital signals for those specific channels.

The on thing to consider would be that once you insert the CabelCard into your Tivo, you will then receive the Digital versions of all your Basic Cable stations, along with the copy protection that TWC annoyingly applies to every station they are legally allowed to (everything but the local broadcast stations, CBS, ABC, etc.). If you currently like to transfer shows to your computer or have another Tivo with which you use MRV and transfers shows between boxes, this will now be prevented for all stations other that the local broadcast stations.
tatergator1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:56 AM   #5677
videobruce
OTA is still alive
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Buffalo NY
Posts: 250
The problem isn't the card it's their damn SDV and their TA's that apparently don't communicate!

Here is their stated response to SDV;
http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/re...er-work-w.html

If that doesn't work here is the quote. Note, the Preimier is not listed.;
Quote:
TV >> Switched Digital Video (SDV) >> Does the Tuning Adapter work with all models of TiVos?

Question:
Does the Tuning Adapter work with all models of TiVos?

Answer:
No. Only TiVos with CableCARDs: HD, HD XL, and TiVo Series3 HD DVRs are compatible with the Tuning Adapter.

Currently, Tuning Adapters are compatible with the following devices:
UDCP devices (retail set top boxes/DVRs):
TiVo DVR (Series 3, HD, or HD XL)
Moxi HD DVR


OCUR devices (for use with a Windows 7 PC):
Ceton InfiniTV 4 Multi-Tuner PC Card


Last edited by videobruce : 12-05-2012 at 10:07 AM.
videobruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:05 AM   #5678
SASouth
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmata1977 View Post
I am new to TWC but not Tivo. I had my service hooked up after a move on Monday. All channels were working fine but then last night I noticed channels were no longer receiving signal, mainly TruTv & CMT as well as C-Span. Contacted TW and they said I needed to call and have my Tivo boxes activated on their service. Call the # and they have no idea what Im talking about or why the rep told me this info. Anyone know what is going on? I have basic cable lineup with no m-cards. I was told I didnt need them since I wasnt ordering premium channels. Was that incorrect info also? The same channels are out on both Tivos so I doubt its a hardware issue. Please help if possible! Im already fed up with TW after only a few days.
This is typical. TW has given you bogus information.

Most cable channels, especially high definition channels, are now encrypted and in order to receive them you'll need to get an M-card for each Tivo. If Switched Digital Video (SDV) has been implemented in your area--and it is likely that it has--you'll also need a tuning adapter for each Tivo.
SASouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:28 AM   #5679
tatergator1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
The problem isn't the card it's their damn SDV and their TA's that apparently don't communicate!

Here is their stated response to SDV;
http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/re...er-work-w.html

If that doesn't work here is the quote. Note, the Preimier is not listed.;
Yes, the Premiere is not listed, but that is a symptom of TW's ineptitude in general, as they haven't updated that particular FAQ entry since TA's were first introduced.

I've had my CableCard and TA up and running with my Premiere for nearly 4 months now, with only one freeze on the TA, it has otherwise worked perfectly. I'm not defending TWC, I just dislike inaccurate generalizations.

Besides, the OP only gets Basic Cable. This is not an SDV or TA problem, he can only be viewing Analog Cable without a CableCard, and the simple answer is that the three stations, which are relatively unpopular, have been moved to Digital Only and he needs only a Cable Card to view them. I find it highly unlikely that TWC has put Basic Cable stations on SDV yet.
tatergator1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:42 AM   #5680
dlfl
Cranky old novice
 
dlfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Near Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 5,936
jsmata1977,
Please give your location (preferably add it to your profile so it shows on every post). Also, what model is your TiVo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SASouth View Post
This is typical. TW has given you bogus information.

Most cable channels, especially high definition channels, are now encrypted and in order to receive them you'll need to get an M-card for each Tivo. If Switched Digital Video (SDV) has been implemented in your area--and it is likely that it has--you'll also need a tuning adapter for each Tivo.
True but the fact the channels he mentioned were received recently without CableCARD means those channels were available as analog signals, at least at that time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
I assume you have plugged the coax cable directly from the wall to your Tivo and are receiving most of your Basic Cable channels via the old Analog signals. Based on the channels you're referencing and the fact you do not have a CableCard, these channels have likely been moved to a Digital only broadcast.

The only way to receive these channels via your Tivo would be get a CableCard from TWC so that the Tivo can decode the encrpyted Digital signals for those specific channels.
...........
I think this scenario is the only one that fits the described situation. I believe it is typical for TWC to "simulcast" the basic SD channels (1-100) as both digital and analog signals. The two versions of each channel are on different frequencies but usually map to the same channel numbers whether you are tuning the analog or digital versions. When you have a CableCARD you get the digital versions only. Without CableCARD you get the analog versions.

The tuning adapter will normally be furnished free of charge by TWC. The CableCARD will typically cost $2 per month. You can't assume anything about the quality of TWC support of TiVo's. The FCC has regulated good support and the Cable Cos maintain they are giving it. But the reports of bad support keep rolling in.
__________________

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith


VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:43 PM   #5681
cwoody222
Registered User
 
cwoody222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 10,992
My guess is that those channels recently moved to SDV for the poster. TWC recently moved a LOT of channels to SDV here and I'm almost positive C-SPAN was one of them and I bet CMT and TruTV was too.
__________________
--Chris
cwoody222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:32 PM   #5682
cwoody222
Registered User
 
cwoody222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 10,992
Well, Time Warner messed up another TiVo install today. My dad ordered HD cable, Internet, a CableCARD and a SDV Adapter in his local store the other day. The install day was today.

The morons from Comtec showed up... without a CableCARD or SDV Adapter. He said the adapter should have come in the mail. He had no idea about the CARD. He said, "We don't carry those". Great.

He also had down to collect 2 SD STB's from the home... nope, we're only turning in 1.

Was ANYTHING on the order correct?

While he called in to straighten things out (for another day), the other guy got started on the Internet install. We needed to run Ethernet under the floor, thru the basement, to where the PC was. They didn't have a Enternet cable nearly long enough (like their longest would barely go from behind the TV to the set). Luckily I brought two 20' + ones. So we used mine.

They also used my dad's existing cable splitter instead of offering a new one.

My father and I ran the Ethernet thru the basement and up thru the floor while they watched. They basically plugged in the modem and typed some numbers onto a webpage to authenticate everything (couldn't even use Firefox for that... "had to" use IE he said... I didn't ask what happens when the customer has a Mac).

And then they left. TW is supposed to call my dad back to schedule ANOTHER visit with the SDV Adapter (maybe... if they "carry them", the installer said) and the CARD.

The installer said we're "not allowed" to do a self-install (uh, huh, sure we're not) but I want an installer to come anyway since I can't drive out there again and my dad won't be comfortable doing it himself. I'm just worried without me there the installer will screw it up and - worse - leave before it's done correctly.

And I'm worried the SDV Adapter won't arrive until after the install date which means my father still won't get all his channels.

What a mess. They really are morons at Time Warner Cable. The prove it every. single. time.
__________________
--Chris
cwoody222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:03 PM   #5683
kevin120
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoody222 View Post
My guess is that those channels recently moved to SDV for the poster. TWC recently moved a LOT of channels to SDV here and I'm almost positive C-SPAN was one of them and I bet CMT and TruTV was too.
actually they were not moved to SDV they were moved to digital only. All of the expanded basic digital simulcast channels were actually moved off of SDV. So no TWC did not move more to SDV they moved channels off of SDV TWC launched SD and HD DTA's that are one way devices for expanded and basic customers so they that they could free up some bandwidth for DOCSIS channels.
kevin120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:35 PM   #5684
kevin120
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 47
Noticed that TWC finally got SDV up in running in the former comcast areas of southern california and they are not switching as many channels in the 750MHz areas that have expanded basic digital only as they are in the 860MHz/1GHz hubs in Socal. I noticed that 16 QAMs are allocated for SDV in the former comcast areas while the former adelphia areas and legacy TWC areas have either 22 or 24 QAMs allocated to SDV. The former comcast areas don't need as many SDV QAMs because they still have a lot of the HD channels and regular SD channels on fixed QAMs in the range where the old scrambled analogs used to be.
kevin120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:19 AM   #5685
cwoody222
Registered User
 
cwoody222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 10,992
I chatted with Time Warner customer service about my dad's botched install last night.

They weren't very apologetic of helpful. They basically told me to have him go get a CableCARD and install it himself and then wait for the SDV adapter to come in the mail. And they couldn't tell me how long that would be.

They escalated it to a supervisor and gave me an escalation # but wasn't clear what would happen next.

I'm not even sure if the adapter has been ordered yet.

My dad is reluctant to try the CableCARD install himself but I want him to on Monday. What is the 800 number that he should call? TiVo or TW? Will TiVo still do a three-way call and walk him and the dumb TW person thru everything?

I'm also worried that they haven't upgraded his account info for the HD package... Can they do that at the same time when pairing the card?

If he will have to call back again to upgrade the package and sit on hold he won't do it... No patience
__________________
--Chris
cwoody222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:17 AM   #5686
mrelectron
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoody222 View Post
I chatted with Time Warner customer service about my dad's botched install last night.

They weren't very apologetic of helpful. They basically told me to have him go get a CableCARD and install it himself and then wait for the SDV adapter to come in the mail. And they couldn't tell me how long that would be.

They escalated it to a supervisor and gave me an escalation # but wasn't clear what would happen next.

I'm not even sure if the adapter has been ordered yet.

My dad is reluctant to try the CableCARD install himself but I want him to on Monday. What is the 800 number that he should call? TiVo or TW? Will TiVo still do a three-way call and walk him and the dumb TW person thru everything?

I'm also worried that they haven't upgraded his account info for the HD package... Can they do that at the same time when pairing the card?

If he will have to call back again to upgrade the package and sit on hold he won't do it... No patience
TWC National Cable Card and Tuning adaptor Support Center at (866) 532-2598. I called a few weeks ago, These people were very helpful and knew exactly how to accomplish all things tivo.

Good luck
mrelectron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:40 AM   #5687
Joey Bagadonuts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Anaheim, CA 92807
Posts: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrelectron View Post
TWC National Cable Card and Tuning adaptor Support Center at (866) 532-2598. I called a few weeks ago, These people were very helpful and knew exactly how to accomplish all things tivo.

Good luck
mrelectron, would this be the same number I should call if I am getting the message reading, "This channel not authorized" on channels I should be getting? It's only happening on one of our 4 Premier DVRs and it's happening more and more frequently.
Joey Bagadonuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:23 PM   #5688
cwoody222
Registered User
 
cwoody222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 10,992
Well, the escalation number must have helped because a supervisor just called my father to tell him a CableCARD and SDV Adapter would arrive at his house within 2 business days as long as he agrees to the self-install.

So that's good.

But of course today his Internet stopped working. Either it's a coincidence or, I suspect, they screwed up his account with all these changes/fixes and deactivated his Internet. Grrr.
__________________
--Chris
cwoody222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:20 AM   #5689
Teeps
Registered User
 
Teeps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Torrance,Cal. 90503
Posts: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoody222 View Post
But of course today his Internet stopped working. Either it's a coincidence or, I suspect, they screwed up his account with all these changes/fixes and deactivated his Internet. Grrr.
That's what happens when too many hands get involved.

I had a new cable modem authorized a few weeks ago with no problem. Did it via Time Warner Support "chat" session.
About 14 days later, I had to authorize a different cable modem (don't ask) and it took 3 phone calls to get "it" working.
On the last call, the third agent told me that the first and second agents didn't enter some "data in the right field."

The 3rd call took about 45 minutes; but the internet was working when I ended the call.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:23 AM   #5690
cwoody222
Registered User
 
cwoody222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 10,992
To be fair, the Internet problem was due to the router. Power cycling it fixed it.

It's an old non-wireless router that I had sitting around in a box for years. It may be on it's way out.
__________________
--Chris
cwoody222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:41 AM   #5691
Teeps
Registered User
 
Teeps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Torrance,Cal. 90503
Posts: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoody222 View Post
To be fair, the Internet problem was due to the router. Power cycling it fixed it.

It's an old non-wireless router that I had sitting around in a box for years. It may be on it's way out.
Is there still such a thing as a non wireless router?
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:34 PM   #5692
cwoody222
Registered User
 
cwoody222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 10,992
My father's CableCARD and SDV Adapter arrived today, as promised. He was able to install the card and he can get all non-SDV channels now.

The operator could not get the Adapter to go to all solid green lights. Naturally, she blamed a hardware defect and told him to return the box for another one (little does she know they don't even stock them in stores).

He's trying the TiVo 800 number now for help.
__________________
--Chris
cwoody222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:44 PM   #5693
cwoody222
Registered User
 
cwoody222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 10,992
TiVo 800 number couldn't help with the Adapter, they said.

So he went to the local store and lo and behold they DO stock the Adapters there. No clue why they didn't seem to know that last week when he walked in to order HD service nor why the tech on Saturday didn't know that either.

Anyway, the replacement box also won't get back blinking lights. He tried to power cycle everything in the required order. Still no go.

Via Facebook (which he shouldn't need to seek out), their customer service offered him a truck roll tomorrow morning which he accepted.

So... so far, 2 visits to store, 2 toll free calls and 2 truck rolls and about a week of effort. And we're not done yet.
__________________
--Chris
cwoody222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:43 AM   #5694
Teeps
Registered User
 
Teeps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Torrance,Cal. 90503
Posts: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoody222 View Post
TiVo 800 number couldn't help with the Adapter, they said.

So he went to the local store and lo and behold they DO stock the Adapters there. No clue why they didn't seem to know that last week when he walked in to order HD service nor why the tech on Saturday didn't know that either.

Anyway, the replacement box also won't get back blinking lights. He tried to power cycle everything in the required order. Still no go.

Via Facebook (which he shouldn't need to seek out), their customer service offered him a truck roll tomorrow morning which he accepted.

So... so far, 2 visits to store, 2 toll free calls and 2 truck rolls and about a week of effort. And we're not done yet.
Did he try a different USB cable?
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:48 AM   #5695
cwoody222
Registered User
 
cwoody222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 10,992
Well he got two whole Adapter box packages so yes, he had two USB's.
__________________
--Chris
cwoody222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:19 AM   #5696
cwoody222
Registered User
 
cwoody222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 10,992
It wasn't hardware. The 2nd installer, the one who came today, was able to Provision the Adapter box by making a phone call. Clearly the operator my dad got on the phone yesterday when he tried his self-install didn't know what she was doing and just blamed the hardware.

So, 2 phone calls, a lengthy Facebook chat, 2 trips to the local store, 2 installation trips, 2 SDV boxes, and a few hours of my time... and he's finally set up. At least it only took a week (3 days, counting from the first install date).

Ridiculous.
__________________
--Chris
cwoody222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:48 PM   #5697
cwoody222
Registered User
 
cwoody222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 10,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoody222 View Post
It wasn't hardware. The 2nd installer, the one who came today, was able to Provision the Adapter box by making a phone call. Clearly the operator my dad got on the phone yesterday when he tried his self-install didn't know what she was doing and just blamed the hardware.

So, 2 phone calls, a lengthy Facebook chat, 2 trips to the local store, 2 installation trips, 2 SDV boxes, and a few hours of my time... and he's finally set up. At least it only took a week (3 days, counting from the first install date).

Ridiculous.
Spoke too soon. His account isn't correct; he's not getting all his channels. Making call #3...
__________________
--Chris
cwoody222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:27 PM   #5698
cwoody222
Registered User
 
cwoody222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 10,992
Call #3 was met with a "we'll have a tech call you back". No one called back. He went to local store today and they properly authorized his channels on his CableCARD from there.

As of Thursday, his set up may finally be done.

Take these posts as a cautionary tale about EVER doing business with Time Warner!
__________________
--Chris
cwoody222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:33 PM   #5699
smoberly
Registered User
 
smoberly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 365
(I posted this as a separate post in the premiere page, sorry for the duplication)

I have been running three TiVo's (two premieres and a series 3) with Time Warner cable cards and tuning adapters for months....no issues.

Over the weekend I switched to Time Warner internet. Part of the promotion was that I am to receive all of the movie channels for free for three months. After the install, I made sure that all of my TiVo's could connect to the new internet...what I did not check was whether I was receiving all of my channels.

I was not.

I was not receiving all of the movie channels, just the HBO and Showtime primary channels...plus all of the other channels I was previously receiving.

After multiple calls to Time Warner, I finally got to the cable card help line and after a 45 minute wait and a lot of troubleshooting; we got the master bedroom and the guest room working properly. After multiple attempts, resending the signal several times, I never got to the point where I was receiving all of my channels, and we finally stopped when I was receiving only two of my local network channels (Fox and NBC) and the primary HBO and Showtime. We stopped and agreed to an onsite technical visit.

The technician with whom I was speaking did suggest that if I did not want to wait for my appointment, that I could try going to my local Time Warner office to simply swap out the tuning adapter, since he believed this to be the problem. My appointment is for tomorrow, so I decided I could wait.

In the interim, I decide to do some of my own troubleshooting, so I swapped out the tuning adapter in the guest room (which was receiving all of my channels) with the one in the living room. Same problem with the new tuning adapter.

The only change that was made to the living room set up during the internet install was the installation of a cable splitter, so that I could have one feed going to my router and the other to my TiVo. We also rearranged the living room furniture, so that I was now plugged in to a different cable outlet.

Has anyone seen the use of a cable splitter as the cause of a problem with channel reception?

It does not seem the tuning adapter to be the problem...troubleshooting with the Time Warner tech did not seem to reveal a cable card issue....
Is the splitter causing the problem? Could switching cable outlets have created a problem?
Any thought on this?
smoberly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:37 PM   #5700
Welshdog
Tivo this, punk!
 
Welshdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 273
I'm on TWC Austin and will be moving to a Cablecard soon. Fortunately TWC Austin has one of the better track records regarding Tivo, CableCards and TAs as far as i can tell. So my apprehension level is not too high just yet.

However, I read on another Tivocommunity thread that TWC enable copy protection on ALL digital channels. Does anyone know if this is true? Does TWC Austin do this? If they do, that will be a problem as my wife sometimes likes to put Tivo recorded shows on her iPad when she travels. I use Toast and a new Mac Mini to prepare the files, but if they are copy protected I assume this will no longer work.
__________________
"Nobody looks good in high-def" - Doug Wilson-Weeds
Welshdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:09 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |