TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-06-2012, 12:08 AM   #1
Greg Lovern

"Tivo Desktop" to restore shows after drive upgrade?

We've had our Tivo HD for about 5 years, and it's getting jittery and sometimes stops and needs rebooting. I've decided to try a new 2TB drive from dvr_dude.

If I use the free version of the "Tivo Desktop" software to back up our recorded shows to our computer's hard drive, and then upgrade the Tivo's drive, will I be able to restore them to the upgraded Tivo?

Or do I need the $24.95 version of "Tivo Desktop" to do that?

Thanks,

Greg
Greg Lovern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:34 AM   #2
Greg Lovern

Followup question:

The installer asks whether I want to use the "fastest method" to transfer files, with the warning that files transferred by that method can't be transferred back to "older Tivo DVRs".

But it doesn't explain how old is "older". Does "older" include my Tivo HD? Do I need to use the slower method to be able to transfer them back to my Tivo HD?

Thanks,

Greg
Old 12-06-2012, 12:49 AM   #3
Greg Lovern

Another followup question:

Is there any problem with watching shows on the Tivo while transferring shows to the PC?

Thanks,

Greg
Old 12-06-2012, 01:05 AM   #4
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Technically, the HD will not accept "faster" (transport stream) .TiVo files, but TiVo Desktop conceals this by remuxing them to program streams on the fly, as it transfers. So, you'd get the higher speed pulling them off, but not when putting them back. I dunno if the remuxing is a Plus feature. Otherwise, the free version is sufficient. You can turn off the "faster" transfers at any time.

Watching while transferring is no problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:23 AM   #5
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Lovern View Post
Followup question:

The installer asks whether I want to use the "fastest method" to transfer files, with the warning that files transferred by that method can't be transferred back to "older Tivo DVRs".

But it doesn't explain how old is "older". Does "older" include my Tivo HD? Do I need to use the slower method to be able to transfer them back to my Tivo HD?

Thanks,

Greg
The "fastest method" for transfers in TiVo Desktop only applies if you have a Series 4 machine. With the Series 4, you have a choice of transferring a "Program Stream" (slower) or a "Transport Stream" (faster).
Series 3 and older machines only offer a "Program Stream" for transferring.

For you, it won't matter if that "faster method" box is checked or not. You will still get the same Program Stream either way.

Edit: BTW, the free version of Tivo Desktop is all you need to do what you want.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!

Last edited by steve614 : 12-06-2012 at 06:53 AM.
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:44 PM   #6
Greg Lovern

Thanks all, the transfer is underway.

I calculate that the transfer will be done sometime Monday morning if I let it run continuously until then!

Greg