TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-05-2012, 05:00 PM   #1
chazas

Slingbox -> iPad with AirPlay mirroring?

I have several TiVo's at home that I use with my Fios service. I also have a TiVo at our country place, but only have very limited TV channels with our Comcast service.

I'm going to try hooking up a new Slingbox 350 to one of our home TiVos and use it to get our recorded shows at the farm. I thought about getting a Google TV device just so I could get the stream onto the farm TV, until I realized that Apple TV/Airplay mirroring is supposed to work with the iPad. That sounds like a better solution to me.

Does anyone else control their TiVo remotely this way? Does it work acceptably?
chazas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:30 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

The biggest problem I've had with my Slingbox connected to a TiVo is the lag. There is a 2-3 second delay between what you're seeing at the remote location vs what is actually playing on the TiVo. This makes accurately FFing very difficult. Using 30 second skip instead helps, but it can still be hard to land on the exact spot you want. It also make using the 8 second rewind difficult to use as well. You typically have to press it 2-3 times to actually see the part you were shooting for.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:54 AM   #3
chazas

Thanks. Gonna try it, we'll see how it works, but I'll buy all the equipment at places with good return policies just in case.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:01 PM   #4
Scooter
Mattress Tester

If you are out in the country I wouldn't expect fast internet speeds. That's very important for Slingbox. Upload speed on the Slingbox end is also very important. less than 3GB and it's a bit sluggish.

Who knows, out in the country to me is in the middle of Illinois where my in-laws are from.
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:22 PM   #5
chazas

I got Comcast to wire the farm so the connection there is almost as zippy as the Fios at home. All the equipment's in, I'll set it up this week, test it this weekend and post the results.