TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Stream
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-04-2012, 12:12 PM   #61
kylen

Has anyone tried Bonjour Beacon on Windows? It looks sort of similar to Network Beacon on the Mac. Though I have no idea what configuration values I need to use.
kylen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:20 PM   #62
morac
Cat God

Apple is trying to update the Bonjour spec to let it work over WAN, though I doubt TiVo would implement that.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/11...rise-networks/
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:49 PM   #63
Dan203
Super Moderator

Why not? Unless they are getting particular pressure from some partner I can't imagine they'd have anything against it. They want the product to appeal to as many people as possible, so why not add something that might broaden it's appeal?

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:00 PM   #64
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Why not? Unless they are getting particular pressure from some partner I can't imagine they'd have anything against it. They want the product to appeal to as many people as possible, so why not add something that might broaden it's appeal?

Dan
Because TiVo's MRV/MRS is designed to only work in a household. There's no reason to have it work in a university wide WAN.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:44 PM   #65
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
To an pre-authorized iPad, though? Would be great.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:27 AM   #66
bradleys
It'll be fine....

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
Because TiVo's MRV/MRS is designed to only work in a household. There's no reason to have it work in a university wide WAN.

I thought TiVo had expressed some interst in extending the stream remotely. I don't remember if that was a survey question or a forward looking statement in an interview I read.

At any rate, If apple does extend Bonjour to the WAN, TiVo may have to make modifications to "prevent" it from working...
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:00 PM   #67
ligand

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
The configuration file for GuizmOVPN is just a plain text file with a .ovpn extension that contains the various OpenVPN directives. But if you're using certificates for OpenVPN, you can put the three certificates (your CA certificate and your client's certificate and key) plus the config into a ZIP file and then import it into GuizmOVPN. You don't have to use certificates for OpenVPN, but that was the way I did it.

For DD-WRT, you configure the OpenVPN settings under Services > VPN (this creates the server config file) and then paste in the contents of the certificates it needs into the proper fields.
Hi! I was able to setup my network to stream Tivo over a VPN connection to my iPads. I needed to jailbreak them to allow it to work and I needed to use Guizovpn to make the VPN connection. I worked with the developer to fix a problem whereby the VPN client only allowed the transmission of multicast packets over 3G (not WiFi). He fixed it and now it supports multicast over 3G and WiFi. :-)

I have an asus RT-66U with Shibby's Tomato build on it and configured an OpenVPN server using the "tap" interface.

So far it works fairly well, although the stream stutters a lot more than it does over local wifi even though I'm on a fairly beefy internet connection. As a side note I was also able to connect to my airplay speakers at home too. :-)
ligand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:01 PM   #68
drewfidelic

The biggest difficulty is the Bonjour side, but I've managed to successfully (slowly) download outside of my home network from the Stream by opening those ports in my router to the Tivo devices (both the stream and the XL4 advertise services on Port 80 and my router unsurprisingly doesn't allow to forward traffic to two internal devices, so the Stream was et up as a DMZ host). Then, by advertising the services to the iPad using Network Beacon with the public IP address of my home network as the "proxy address" in Network Beacon on a computer on the same subnet as the iPad, the Tivo app works. So VPN is not technically necessary for remote Stream access, but a willingness to play with the firewall on your home network is.
drewfidelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:17 PM   #69
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
So that I understand it, there are now two ways to get the TiVo iOS app and the TiVo Stream to be able to work from outside your home (for both downloading shows as well as streaming, albeit choppily for the latter.) Both of these ways require that you first establish a VPN connection.

The first requires a jailbroken iOS device, with Guizovpn client installed, and a router that has Open VPN server, presumably via a firmware like Tomato.

The second doesn't require the device be jailbroken, or Guizovpn... but does rely upon "Network Beacon" software, and that means an actual computer running it both at home, as well as on the road, on another computer, in the remote location you're at.

Does that about sum the current state of affairs up?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Old 11-22-2012, 09:22 AM   #70
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ligand View Post
Hi! I was able to setup my network to stream Tivo over a VPN connection to my iPads. I needed to jailbreak them to allow it to work and I needed to use Guizovpn to make the VPN connection. I worked with the developer to fix a problem whereby the VPN client only allowed the transmission of multicast packets over 3G (not WiFi). He fixed it and now it supports multicast over 3G and WiFi. :-)
Ah, so that explains why I wasn't able to get it to work over WiFi in my initial testing. Cool, thanks for the update, and glad to know it worked for you!

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:59 AM   #71
Snake Plissken

So before I buy a stream ...if I read this thread correctly there's no easy way to watch outside of my home network and I can only transfer items that my TIVO desktop used to allow me to transfer to my laptop. Is that an accurate statement?
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:08 PM   #72
windracer
joined the 10k club

Yes.

|
Old 11-24-2012, 01:36 AM   #73
magnus
Tivo User

I thought you could not use the tivo app with a jailbroken iOS device. Is that not true anymore?
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:39 AM   #74
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus View Post
I thought you could not use the tivo app with a jailbroken iOS device. Is that not true anymore?
That was fixed a point version or two ago. The app will run on a jailbroken device, but you can't use any of the Stream functionality.

|
Old 11-24-2012, 09:23 AM   #75
David Platt
Have an A-1 Day!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
That was fixed a point version or two ago. The app will run on a jailbroken device, but you can't use any of the Stream functionality.
There's an easy workaround to let you use the Stream functions on a jailbroken device, though.
David Platt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:26 AM   #76
ligand

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Platt View Post
There's an easy workaround to let you use the Stream functions on a jailbroken device, though.
Correct. The app is called xcon and is available in Cydia.
ligand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:46 AM   #77
drewfidelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
The second doesn't require the device be jailbroken, or Guizovpn... but does rely upon "Network Beacon" software, and that means an actual computer running it both at home, as well as on the road, on another computer, in the remote location you're at.

Does that about sum the current state of affairs up?
The Network Beacon or Bonjour Beacon method only requires one computer, and that computer needs to be same local network as the iOS device (NOT on the same network as the Tivo and Stream.) It does require (on most home networks) opening up port forwarding in your router to allow the iOS device to access the Tivos from outside of the home network.
drewfidelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:05 AM   #78
kylen

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewfidelic View Post
The Network Beacon or Bonjour Beacon method only requires one computer, and that computer needs to be same local network as the iOS device (NOT on the same network as the Tivo and Stream.) It does require (on most home networks) opening up port forwarding in your router to allow the iOS device to access the Tivos from outside of the home network.
I thought Network Beacon/Bonjour Beacon was running on the network with the Tivo/Stream, to replicate the Bonjour for the VPN. If the iOS device is creating a VPN connection, how would it even see a Network Beacon/Bonjour Beacon on it's local network? Once it connects to the VPN, it's local network IS the Tivo/Stream network.

Has anyone streamed successfully using Bonjour Beacon? If so, could you post a network diagram and config?
kylen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:32 AM   #79
RichB

I am also interested in figuring out the bonjour service.
It appears to be running multiple devices in my network.

What ports does TiVo and bonjour need exposed?

Thanks,

- Rich
RichB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:11 PM   #80
vectorcatch

iOS official openVPN client

They finally released an actual open VPN client for iOS.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/open...590379981?mt=8

Has anyone tried it with the stream?
vectorcatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:13 PM   #81
windracer
joined the 10k club

Wow, interesting. I'll grab it just in case it gets pulled for some reason.

|
Old 02-03-2013, 02:32 AM   #82
morac
Cat God

The OpenVPN app only supports TUN bridging, it doesn't support TAP bridging do to "limitations in iOS", so unless I'm mistaken it won't work for streaming purposes.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:09 AM   #83
windracer
joined the 10k club

Yep, I just discovered the same thing while trying to set it up and doing some research. Oh well!

|
Old 02-07-2013, 04:13 PM   #84
davidahn

Update?

I've been drooling over the possibility of using a TiVo Stream as SlingBox since they announced it. Anyone have any simple, reliable solutions? I was hoping to use an off-the-shelf Netgear FVS-318N, a gigabit VPN router. Anyone use this model or one like it?
davidahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:56 AM   #85
gamo62

Anyone here provide some insight on how to setup the VPN – PPTP on Windows 8 x64? Thanks.
gamo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:33 PM   #86
Snake Plissken

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidahn View Post
I've been drooling over the possibility of using a TiVo Stream as SlingBox since they announced it. Anyone have any simple, reliable solutions? I was hoping to use an off-the-shelf Netgear FVS-318N, a gigabit VPN router. Anyone use this model or one like it?
I would love to do this
Snake Plissken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:16 PM   #87
mattack

Dumb question, if you want a slingbox, why not just get a slingbox?

or do you just want to be able to do this AS WELL as locally download/stream in your house?
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:25 PM   #88
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
The IR-blaster-based control of a Slingbox is very, very clunky, and the PQ suffers due to the transcode. The UI isn't pretty. And it takes over your TiVo so anyone else at home must watch what you're watching. Essentially that whole "solution" is a kludge.

TiVo Stream is much more elegant, and control is IP-based. If only it could stream outside the home (and adapt to network conditions,) it'd be a near-perfect solution.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:00 AM   #89
Arcady
Stargate Fan

I love my SlingBox. It is connected to an extra Premiere that nobody will ever watch while I am not home. And I can use MRS to watch content from any other Premiere.

I don't know what's clunky about the remote control. I only use PLAY and 30-sec skip and 8-sec back on it. Works fine.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:24 PM   #90
Bigg

This is clearly something to do to prove it can be done, not because it is in any way practical. If you're practical, you'd be getting a Slingbox or just torrenting shows or something.

Too bad the Slingbox can't be programmed to control the TiVo over IP like a Crestron system would.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote