TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-16-2010, 08:30 PM   #841
Phantom Gremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Really? Zero errors? With FIOS? That is very unusual by itself...but really neither here nor there I suppose.
My experience with errors on FiOS is very channel dependent. E.g. right now channel 502 KATU, frequency 513 MHz, has no RS corrected or uncorrected. But channel 780 Disney, frequency 327 MHz, has a few RS uncorrected and many many corrected.

Detailed info:
channel 502, 37 dB, 0 uncorrrected, 0 corrected, 475 seconds.
channel 780, 34 dB, 13 uncorrected, 1,390,000 corrected, 490 seconds.

The one with errors is national, the one without is local. Which probably means the two blocks of channels are being combined by Verizon locally. But even on the channel with reported errors, they occur infrequently enough that as a "casual" viewer I haven't noticed them in the program itself.

I haven't experimented with adding attenuators or diplexers, but I may try them just to see if I can get the error count to decrease.
Phantom Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 12:40 PM   #842
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Gremlin View Post
My experience with errors on FiOS is very channel dependent.
My experience as well. I haven't seen any issues (macroblocking, etc.) for a long time. As long as it behaves I don't think I'll try any tweaks (if it ain't broke..etc. - Sorry MPSAN ).
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:31 PM   #843
chriseng

Macroblocking Ch 253-256

Anyone having this issue recently? These four channels have been exhibiting the macroblocking problem described in this thread for the past few days. Previously they worked fine. I don't have any attenuators, but I never needed them before. The diagnostics screen shows millions of RS Uncorrected after just a few minutes. SNR jumps from low 30s to single digits to teens, it's all over the place. Sometimes the Tivo even pops up the message saying it's trying to tune in the cable source. Any ideas? No other channels are affected as far as I can tell, just these (unfortunately, three of my kids' favorite shows are on 256, Nick Jr.).
chriseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:43 PM   #844
richsadams

I had a few issues the other day...some channels were unwatchable. I ended up rebooting (pulled the plug...waited 10 seconds and plugged it back in) and everything was fine. No idea what happened.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:25 PM   #845
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
I had a few issues the other day...some channels were unwatchable. I ended up rebooting (pulled the plug...waited 10 seconds and plugged it back in) and everything was fine. No idea what happened.
Yeah, if it ain't broke...

Anyway, mine seems to be OK, but I do see a little noise, or breakup, once in a while on a lot of stations. Audio is fine, and it is just for a few lines of video for a second or so and even then it is not a full line from left to right.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:34 PM   #846
chriseng

Yeah neither soft reset or hard reset fixed the problem. I'm skeptical that attenuation is needed since I've had this FioS/TiVo combination for months now and never had picture problems. But that's probably the next thing to try. I'm sure Verizon won't be able to help.

EDITED to add: Crap, it's a lot more channels than I thought. I just flipped through all of them. It seems to be certain frequencies:

Chan Freq

77 609k
107 609k

122 627k
123 627k
125 627k
132 627k
161 627k
163 627k
168 627k
189 627k
198 627k
259 627k

187 603k
213 603k
214 603k
218 603k
219 603k
222 603k
253 603k
254 603k
255 603k
256 603k
273 603k

641 591k
681 591k

664 597k
665 597k

Last edited by chriseng : 05-19-2010 at 12:18 AM.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:29 PM   #847
Phantom Gremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriseng View Post
Anyone having this issue recently? These four channels have been exhibiting the macroblocking problem described in this thread for the past few days. Previously they worked fine.
AVSForum.com has local HDTV threads.

Perhaps you will find some kindred spirits to commiserate with, or at least to confirm that others in your local area are seeing the same problems.
Phantom Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:34 PM   #848
caughey

Don't be too sure that Verizon won't be able to help, I've found them to be competent.

Also, check your coax cables and connections. I've only had pixelation problems with a specific frequency range of channels twice. Once it was fixed by replacing a cheap splitter, and once just by tightening a connection that had worked loose.

Good luck!
caughey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:26 AM   #849
richsadams

And someone mentioned earlier that it turned out to be their cell phone that was wrecking havoc? Once they turned it off things were good? There are certainly a lot of possibilities. With that many problematic channels I agree it's probably part of the cable system, a connector or possibly a failing cable card. I'd do some inspections of the various parts and pieces around the house...they don't last forever. If that doesn't turn up anything a call to VZ is in order IMHO.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:17 PM   #850
chriseng

Update on my pixelation problems

Fixed! In case anyone was curious:

The technician they sent out had never seen this problem before, so I had to suggest the debugging steps once we got past "the signal is strong" -- swapping out cablecard, swapping out coax, swapping in STB for TiVO, etc. -- but eventually the culprit turned out to be the ONT. Naturally the last thing we tried.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:24 PM   #851
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriseng View Post
Fixed! In case anyone was curious:

The technician they sent out had never seen this problem before, so I had to suggest the debugging steps once we got past "the signal is strong" -- swapping out cablecard, swapping out coax, swapping in STB for TiVO, etc. -- but eventually the culprit turned out to be the ONT. Naturally the last thing we tried.
The ONT...who would'a thunk? Glad things are back to normal again. Enjoy!
Old 05-21-2010, 08:46 PM   #852
Ovit311

Old Tivo user but new to FIOS. Had the installer put an attenuator on the Tivo just in case any pixelation problems. So far so good...
Ovit311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 01:08 PM   #853
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovit311 View Post
Old Tivo user but new to FIOS. Had the installer put an attenuator on the Tivo just in case any pixelation problems. So far so good...
Try removing it and see how things go...odds are you won't see any problems w/o it either. The need for attenuators went away over a year ago when VZ began dialing their signal strength back to reasonable levels.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:16 PM   #854
MatthewH12

Has anyone ever heard of a TivoHD with Fios using an MCard having an SNR of 37-38 on Tuner 0 with no pixelization, and a SNR of 25 on Tuner 1 with lots of macro-blocking, pixelization and channel tuning issues? Why does it only affect one tuner and not the other?
MatthewH12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:17 PM   #855
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewH12 View Post
Has anyone ever heard of a TivoHD with Fios using an MCard having an SNR of 37-38 on Tuner 0 with no pixelization, and a SNR of 25 on Tuner 1 with lots of macro-blocking, pixelization and channel tuning issues? Why does it only affect one tuner and not the other?
Are they tuned to the same channel? If not, that's pretty normal, yeah. The channels don't have a consistent signal level; most of them are within spec, most of the time, but sometimes some of them go out, while others are fine.

If they are tuned to the same channel, then it sounds like a problem with the TiVo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:17 AM   #856
MatthewH12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
Are they tuned to the same channel? If not, that's pretty normal, yeah. The channels don't have a consistent signal level; most of them are within spec, most of the time, but sometimes some of them go out, while others are fine.

If they are tuned to the same channel, then it sounds like a problem with the TiVo.

It affects tuner 1 (whose snr is ~27)mno matter what channel its on, and does NOT affect tuner 0 (whose SNR is ~37-38), no matter what channel it is on. Tuner 1's signal is so low that it won't pull in a picture, yet tuner 0 will just fine. Already spoke to TiVo, they said it's probably the cable system, but why would it only affect one tuner? Also, my tivo upstairs (Same model, etc), doesn't have an issue with either tuner, and both SNR's on it are 37-38 constant.

It's weird =\.

Last edited by MatthewH12 : 06-16-2010 at 01:24 AM.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:57 AM   #857
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewH12 View Post
Already spoke to TiVo, they said it's probably the cable system, but why would it only affect one tuner?
It wouldn't, and it's pretty absurd for them to say that. Call back until you get someone competent. Your TiVo is defective, end of story.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:11 AM   #858
MatthewH12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
It wouldn't, and it's pretty absurd for them to say that. Call back until you get someone competent. Your TiVo is defective, end of story.
If that's true, it would make the 2nd bad tivo we've gotten, the first one had a bad cable card slot.

Tivo's sending out another box, 3rd times the charm right?

Last edited by MatthewH12 : 06-16-2010 at 10:40 AM.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:48 PM   #859
PooperScooper

Not much action here lately but after reading this thread I thought I had a solution with pixelization but the SNR on the affected channels is not "high". I just got FIOS a couple days ago (triple play with ultimate HD) and Showtime HD, SpikeHD and MGMHD all have pixelization. And each channel has an SNR of 30 (29 sometimes on Sho) and RS uncorrected counts always climbing. Channels that work fine have an SNR of 32 and 0 RS errors.

The tech installed 2 splitters: ONT -> splitter 1 ( Network, 2nd splitter) and splitter 2 with 3 outputs, one is the TivoHD. I tried ONT->TivoHD and nothing changed. The same TivoHD connection worked fine with Comcast using the same splitter.

I could try swapping the TivoHD coax, I guess. Is there some sort of signal "control" on the ONT a tech could dial up a tad? Do I need a signal booster?

larry
Old 12-03-2012, 11:43 AM   #860
shamilian

Check your signal level. ( on the DVR Diag screen ). It is likely at 100% add attenuators until the level is below 100% and the SNR is below 35db.

You may also add a low-pass filter from FIOS tech. Their moca signal may affect the tuner in the Tivo.
shamilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:57 PM   #861
PooperScooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamilian View Post
Check your signal level. ( on the DVR Diag screen ). It is likely at 100% add attenuators until the level is below 100% and the SNR is below 35db.

You may also add a low-pass filter from FIOS tech. Their moca signal may affect the tuner in the Tivo.
Thanks for the reply. The signal level for the affected channels is at 45-50% depending whether the SNR is 29 or 30.

I'm going to replace the cable run to the Tivo with RG6 (can't tell it the current cable is RG6 or not, there's no markings and). After that and still no solution I'll contact Verizon.

larry
Old 12-03-2012, 04:34 PM   #862
ah30k

This thread is very old about a problem that has since been fixed in software.

There were many many people experiencing serious problems and they were all fixed with a sw update. To my knowledge, no one is using attenuators any more.

I suggest you start a new thread if you are having problems.
ah30k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:47 PM   #863
shamilian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post
Thanks for the reply. The signal level for the affected channels is at 45-50% depending whether the SNR is 29 or 30.

I'm going to replace the cable run to the Tivo with RG6 (can't tell it the current cable is RG6 or not, there's no markings and). After that and still no solution I'll contact Verizon.

larry
Your signal level is too low should be at least 70%. If it is about these levels for all channels then you need to boost the signal level/remove splitters. If it is only a few channels then it could be a bad connector.
shamilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:53 PM   #864
barrett14

Can a high signal strength also cause problems with your internet connection as well? I found out I am having this issue with my new Roamio, and wondering if it can explain my intermittent internet connection. (Charter has been unable to fix it)
barrett14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:32 PM   #865
whm

I am having an issue with pixelation on my Premiere XL. The picture will will get blocky or even "shimmery" if you can imagine that. The sound will stutter in and out. During this, sometimes the pixlated pitcture will freeze for a few seconds.

I purchased the first box in 2010 and last April/May (after 2.5 years in service) the picture started to pixelate intermittently. At first very minor glitches that were short and barely annoying, but after about a month the pixalation episodes began to occur several times per hour and would last 30 - 60 seconds. I called tech support and they said it was that my hard drive was failing. I read about the kickstart codes somewhere here and ran the hard drive test. It did fail one of the tests, but also was still running after 2 days. I finally unplugged and tried to reboot the box, but it was stuck in an endless "welcome" screen loop. I had purchased an extended warranty and used that to replace the failed box. TiVo, as expected, sent me a refurbished unit in early June.

This box has been in service for a little more than 100 days. There were a few very minor glitches in the picture during the first 90 days, (nothing alarming) but just after 90 days the "pixelation episodes" started again with this box. They have gotten just as bad as the last box, lasting about 30- 90 seconds and occurring about 2-4 times an hour.

I called tech support at TiVo to try and find out if there might be ANY other reason for this to occur besides a bad hard drive. They had me look at the diagnostics. They were as follows:

Tuner 0: SS=67; SNR=33 dB; RS Corrected=0; RS Uncorrected=0
Tuner 1: SS=85; SNR=36 dB; RS Corrected=0; RS Uncorrected=0

They told me the SNR on tuner 1 was a bit high (I never thought a high SNR was a bad thing), and suggested I try replacing the cable card. I did that last Saturday. Now I’m getting readings of signal strength at about 67 - 70 on both tuners and SNRs of about 33-34 and RS all zeros on both tuners, but yet the pixelation is still occurring.

There is a splitter to the cable modem that I have not tried replacing yet but will. Does this sound like a bad hard drive or something else? I have another extended warranty on this box, but no sense replacing the box again if it’s something external to the box. Just seems odd that when I replaced the box back in June, it seemed to work fine for a while and is now doing this and getting worse. It seems that if it was the splitter, cable or even the cable card, the new box would have immediately had the same problem as the old box.

Any ideas what to try next before trying to exchange the box? (oh actually I am on Comcast, not FIOS)
whm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:26 AM   #866
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by whm View Post
I am having an issue with pixelation on my Premiere XL. The picture will will get blocky or even "shimmery" if you can imagine that. The sound will stutter in and out. During this, sometimes the pixlated pitcture will freeze for a few seconds.

I purchased the first box in 2010 and last April/May (after 2.5 years in service) the picture started to pixelate intermittently. At first very minor glitches that were short and barely annoying, but after about a month the pixalation episodes began to occur several times per hour and would last 30 - 60 seconds. I called tech support and they said it was that my hard drive was failing. I read about the kickstart codes somewhere here and ran the hard drive test. It did fail one of the tests, but also was still running after 2 days. I finally unplugged and tried to reboot the box, but it was stuck in an endless "welcome" screen loop. I had purchased an extended warranty and used that to replace the failed box. TiVo, as expected, sent me a refurbished unit in early June.

This box has been in service for a little more than 100 days. There were a few very minor glitches in the picture during the first 90 days, (nothing alarming) but just after 90 days the "pixelation episodes" started again with this box. They have gotten just as bad as the last box, lasting about 30- 90 seconds and occurring about 2-4 times an hour.

I called tech support at TiVo to try and find out if there might be ANY other reason for this to occur besides a bad hard drive. They had me look at the diagnostics. They were as follows:

Tuner 0: SS=67; SNR=33 dB; RS Corrected=0; RS Uncorrected=0
Tuner 1: SS=85; SNR=36 dB; RS Corrected=0; RS Uncorrected=0

They told me the SNR on tuner 1 was a bit high (I never thought a high SNR was a bad thing), and suggested I try replacing the cable card. I did that last Saturday. Now Iím getting readings of signal strength at about 67 - 70 on both tuners and SNRs of about 33-34 and RS all zeros on both tuners, but yet the pixelation is still occurring.

There is a splitter to the cable modem that I have not tried replacing yet but will. Does this sound like a bad hard drive or something else? I have another extended warranty on this box, but no sense replacing the box again if itís something external to the box. Just seems odd that when I replaced the box back in June, it seemed to work fine for a while and is now doing this and getting worse. It seems that if it was the splitter, cable or even the cable card, the new box would have immediately had the same problem as the old box.

Any ideas what to try next before trying to exchange the box? (oh actually I am on Comcast, not FIOS)
A high SNR is a good thing, assuming that what they measure really is a proper signal-to-noise ratio. It sounds like you did indeed have a bad drive earlier, and some of your symptoms sound like that could be happening again. However, not all glitches are caused by your equipment. If you have signal lock and program lock and zero RS errors of either type (or maybe even some corrected errors), you are receiving perfectly the transport stream being sent by the transmitter, and any pixelation you see must be a part of the signal being sent. IOW, under those circumstances the picture glitches had to occur prior to transmission. Keep investigating.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote