TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-29-2012, 09:00 AM   #9181
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac3dd View Post
Am I screwed if the upgraded drive which I'm going to copy from already has more than 14 partitions? Or is it OK to have 15 but 16 is a problem?
It depends.

The stock 160GB S3 HD drive comes with 2 MFS pairs, partitions 10 and 11, and partitions 12 and 13.

Using the MFS Live cd or WinMFS to upgrade to a bigger drive results in a third MFS pair being added to fill up the extra space, and that brings you up to 15 partitions, which means you can add one more using the jmfs cd v1.04.

The catch is that when the 3rd MFS pair is added, that has to use up all of the space on the upgrade drive. If not, then even a small amount of leftover space will, because of the way the Apple Partition Map scheme works, be labeled an Apple Free Partition (that's right, unpartitioned space is a partition--now you know what Apple meant by "think different").

When that happens the Apple Free partition becomes partition 16, and that's the limit per single TiVo drive. The first thing jmfs does is "Xerox" the source drive to the target drive. That means it copies the Apple Free partition as well. Then when jmfs goes to expand by adding a single MFS media partition, that partition is the 17th one on the drive. TiVo no like that. TiVo throw up.

In my experience so far, the otherwise excellent MFS Live cd leaves a little space when it adds the 3rd MFS pair, and there doesn't seem to be a way to juggle anything to prevent that. WinMFS, on the other hand, will use all of the available space.

So use WinMFS's mfsinfo to get the partition map and copy and paste it here so we know what we're dealing with.

Alternately, use the MFS Live cd and

pdisk -l /dev/sd"x"

(where "x" is a or b or whatever is necessary to refer to the TiVo drive and not your Windows drive or DVD or whatever)

and redirect the output to a text file that you can paste here.

Refresh my memory, do you have a TCD652160?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:16 AM   #9182
ac3dd

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Refresh my memory, do you have a TCD652160?
No, I have the TCD648250B.

The drive in there is a 500GB purchased in Feb. 2007 from Weaknees with the TiVo software preinstalled. So it has whatever partitioning scheme Weaknees was using back then.

I'm thinking of buying a couple capacitors to have on hand just in case I see the capacitors are bad when I open it up. But what type of equipment is needed to remove the old capacitors safely and install the new ones?

EDIT: It looks like I'll need a soldering iron. I've never used one before, so I'm not going to try it for the first time on an expensive device like TiVo. I'll have to learn that another day. If the caps are bad I'll just need to buy a new power supply.

Last edited by ac3dd : 11-29-2012 at 09:35 AM.
ac3dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:43 AM   #9183
unitron

Quote:
No, I have the TCD648250B.
Okay, that kind of changes things if you want to put a 2TB drive in there.

jmfs was designed to work with the Premiere and for some reason will work with the later S3s, the HD and HD XL, as well, but I haven't seen any reports of success using it with the original S3, which is what you have.

Quote:
The drive in there is a 500GB purchased in Feb. 2007 from Weaknees with the TiVo software preinstalled. So it has whatever partitioning scheme Weaknees was using back then.
And since I don't and didn't work there or ever buy a drive from them, I have no idea what that partition map is, so I still need for you to get the info from your drive and post it here.

Since Weaknees apparently uses their own voodoo instead of what we have access to, you might only have the original 13 partition-2 MFS pairs arrangement, only with the MFS partitions bigger than on the original 250GB drive (what happened to yours, by the way?)

If this is so, you may be able to use WinMFS to copy the 500GB Weaknees drive to the 2TB and then expand by letting WinMFS install a 3rd MFS pair.

Maybe you can be our test subject.

Quote:
I'm thinking of buying a couple capacitors to have on hand just in case I see the capacitors are bad when I open it up. But what type of equipment is needed to remove the old capacitors safely and install the new ones?
You need a #10 Torx bit to remove the screws that hold the power supply down to the standoffs on the chassis, and a slightly smaller #8 or #9 Torx bit to remove the little screw that goes in from the outside to secure the top of the AC input jack to the back of the chassis.

Then you need a somewhat high wattage soldering iron, or better yet a soldering gun, to unsolder the old caps and solder in the new ones.

It wouldn't hurt to have something additional to remove the solder after melting it when taking out the old caps.

There are "solder suckers" which have a spring loaded piston which creates a vacuum and sucks the molten solder up into its cylinder, there are things that look like soldering irons with a squeeze bulb added that are actually de-soldering irons--Radio Shack has one that's not too bad, and you might be able to get by with just it, since you can use it to melt solder when installing the new capacitors as well--and there are rolls of solder wick, which is basically very small copper wires woven together (similar to the shield on shielded cables) that will absorb molten solder by capillary action, but you want to avoid Radio Shack's version of that. They used to have some that wasn't too horrible, but they replaced it with absolute junk.

I assume you've already educated yourself on the need to use low-ESR caps which are also rated for 105 degrees celsius/centigrade, have the same uF (microFarad) rating as what they're replacing, and the same voltage rating or the next higher one?

Old 11-29-2012, 11:21 AM   #9184
A J Ricaud

Western Digital WD AV-GP WD20EURS 2TB

Newegg has these for $99 right now:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-22136783-L04B
A J Ricaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:26 AM   #9185
ac3dd

Quote:
Okay, that kind of changes things if you want to put a 2TB drive in there.
The drive I want to install is 1.5TB. I can live with only using 1TB of it if it's too much trouble to get 1.35 or more.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:53 AM   #9186
unitron

Quote:
The drive I want to install is 1.5TB. I can live with only using 1TB of it if it's too much trouble to get 1.35 or more.
Still need to see that partition map before I can advise you further.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:55 AM   #9187
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by A J Ricaud View Post
Good, maybe that'll force Amazon's price back down as well.

Funny, all the tons of email I get from newegg advertising sales and nary a mention of this one.

EDIT:

'n sho nuff, all of a sudden Amazon can afford to part with them cheaper as well.

http://www.amazon.com/WD-AV-GP-TB-Ha.../dp/B0042AG9V8

Old 12-02-2012, 05:47 AM   #9188
Stylin
Stylish Jane Sixpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by A J Ricaud View Post
I have an orig Series 3 oled TCD648250B and ordered the WD20EURS 2TB from Newegg (no tax for me), but am wondering if this would be a better choice Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB SATA 3.0 (3 Gb/s) 7200 RPM 3.5" WDBAAZ0020HNC -- Staples $105

Will it work in orig Series 3?
S3 250gb LT 10/15/07
Stylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:05 AM   #9189
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylin View Post
I have an orig Series 3 oled TCD648250B and ordered the WD20EURS 2TB from Newegg (no tax for me), but am wondering if this would be a better choice Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB SATA 3.0 (3 Gb/s) 7200 RPM 3.5" WDBAAZ0020HNC -- Staples $105

Will it work in orig Series 3?
For a TiVo, the WD20EURS makes more sense because it runs at a lower RPM and cooler. The TiVo can't take advantage of the extra RPM, and the Caviar Blacks, although very nice drives, get kind of toasty.

That is (or was) a good price for a drive with that performance and a 5 year warranty.

I just clicked on that link and the price is now $120.

The WD20EURS is also specifically designed to be an A/V drive, it worries less about being completely error free and more about capturing everything sent to it. With video, better to have one byte wrong than to miss several or more because it's tied up doing error correction on that first byte.

For situations like saving spreadsheets and databases and the great American novel you're working on, the Black is better because it and the PC can negotiate how fast the data are sent to it, and it can spend more time making sure it has every byte right.

So stick the Green in your TiVo and fill a tower case with those Blacks and back up your shows to there.

Old 12-02-2012, 03:29 PM   #9190
Stylin
Stylish Jane Sixpack

Thanks Unitron for clarifying. I'm glad I'm going with the right drive. For some reason I had in my mind that Caviar's were always the better drive (warranty), so feel much better purchasing one that is specifically designed dvr's. Plus, I can take comfort in the fact I've read about successful upgrades using WD20EURS.

Now I just have to find someone to do the upgrade when the drive arrives lol. Been reading this thread and it's above my intelligence lol, not to mention I do not have access to a desktop.

Oh, the Caviar Black WDBAAZ0020HNC ends up being $105 after using $15 off coupon code 90889. It's currently oos, but the sale is all week, so will probably come back into stock.
S3 250gb LT 10/15/07
Stylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:01 PM   #9191
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylin View Post
Thanks Unitron for clarifying. I'm glad I'm going with the right drive. For some reason I had in my mind that Caviar's were always the better drive (warranty), so feel much better purchasing one that is specifically designed dvr's. Plus, I can take comfort in the fact I've read about successful upgrades using WD20EURS.

Now I just have to find someone to do the upgrade when the drive arrives lol. Been reading this thread and it's above my intelligence lol, not to mention I do not have access to a desktop.

Oh, the Caviar Black WDBAAZ0020HNC ends up being $105 after using $15 off coupon code 90889. It's currently oos, but the sale is all week, so will probably come back into stock.
The Black is a good drive, I grabbed some of the 1TB version a couple or three Black Fridays ago at Best Buy (before the flood that pumped up prices so badly), and I've got two of them (with JMicron chipset IDE/SATA adapters) in my mom's Series 2 Dual Tuner (along with extra cooling, cause the Blacks get pretty warm), and one in an S2 DT of mine (again, with extra cooling), and they're still chugging along just fine.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:39 AM   #9192
ac3dd

Quote:
And since I don't and didn't work there or ever buy a drive from them, I have no idea what that partition map is, so I still need for you to get the info from your drive and post it here.
I successfully ran WDIDLE3 on the 1.5TB drive, and then MFS tools to get the partition map on the old 500GB drive, which is quoted below.

Code:
Partition Maps
 #:                  type name                            length base      ( size  )
  1   Apple_partition_map Apple                               63@1         (  31.5K)
  2                 Image Bootstrap 1                       4096@485364800 (   2.0M)
  3                 Image Kernel 1                          4096@485368896 (   2.0M)
  4                  Ext2 Root 1                          262144@485372992 ( 128.0M)
  5                 Image Bootstrap 2                       4096@485635136 (   2.0M)
  6                 Image Kernel 2                          4096@485639232 (   2.0M)
  7                  Ext2 Root 2                          262144@485643328 ( 128.0M)
  8                  Swap Linux swap                      260096@485905472 ( 127.0M)
  9                  Ext2 /var                            524288@486165568 ( 256.0M)
 10                   MFS MFS application region          589824@486689856 ( 288.0M)
 11                   MFS MFS media region             216747008@268617792 ( 103.4G)
 12                   MFS Second MFS application region    589824@487279680 ( 288.0M)
 13                   MFS Second MFS media region      268617728@64        ( 128.1G)
 14                   MFS New MFS Application               1024@487869504 ( 512.0K)
 15                   MFS New MFS Media                488898560@487870528 ( 233.1G)
 16            Apple_Free Extra                             4080@976769088 (   2.0M)
One of the capacitors seems like it has a slight bulge, so a new power supply may have to be on my shopping list (I have no experience with soldering, so I'm not going to try to replace the cap alone). I'll post a pic later so you and others can give your opinion.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:34 PM   #9193
unitron

Quote:

One of the capacitors seems like it has a slight bulge, so a new power supply may have to be on my shopping list (I have no experience with soldering, so I'm not going to try to replace the cap alone). I'll post a pic later so you and others can give your opinion.
What if I told you I'd pay you $100 to learn to solder?

It's almost the same thing, cause not knowing is going to cost you at least that.

You're going to have to take the power supply out and put it or a replacement back in no matter what you do.

If you buy a new supply it'll cost you $150, not counting shipping, and you can send them your old supply to get $50 back, but you'll have to pay shipping to get it to them.

You can fix the old supply, re-install it, test it with just a hard drive attached as an electrical load ("switching" supplies like the ones used nowadays in PCs and TiVos need a load connected when you apply power to them) and not have it connected to the motherboard 'til you're sure it's okay.

If you don't succeed at repairing it, you can buy a "new" one and send the non-working old one back for the "core charge", just as you'd have done if you didn't try to fix it.

As soldering jobs go, this is a simple one.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:05 PM   #9194
ac3dd

Quote:
What if I told you I'd pay you $100 to learn to solder?

It's almost the same thing, cause not knowing is going to cost you at least that.

You're going to have to take the power supply out and put it or a replacement back in no matter what you do.

If you buy a new supply it'll cost you $150, not counting shipping, and you can send them your old supply to get $50 back, but you'll have to pay shipping to get it to them.

You can fix the old supply, re-install it, test it with just a hard drive attached as an electrical load ("switching" supplies like the ones used nowadays in PCs and TiVos need a load connected when you apply power to them) and not have it connected to the motherboard 'til you're sure it's okay.

If you don't succeed at repairing it, you can buy a "new" one and send the non-working old one back for the "core charge", just as you'd have done if you didn't try to fix it.

As soldering jobs go, this is a simple one.
I'll just have to pay the $100 penalty for my lack of knowledge. I'm not going to risk $650 (the cost of a new Tivo with lifetime service) by putting my half-baked attempt back into the TiVo and having it fry the motherboard someday. Learning to solder will have to be done at another time and place, when the consequences of screwing up don't matter.

However, I might try my hand at testing the existing one with a capacitor tester, if that will do any good in confirming or disproving my suspicions about that capacitor. Can it be tested properly when it's still on the board?
Old 12-04-2012, 04:29 PM   #9195
ac3dd

Given that I have 16 partitions including Apple_Free on the old drive, how do I resolve that so 1TB or more can be used on the 1.5TB drive?
Old 12-04-2012, 04:50 PM   #9196
unitron

Quote:
I'll just have to pay the $100 penalty for my lack of knowledge. I'm not going to risk $650 (the cost of a new Tivo with lifetime service) by putting my half-baked attempt back into the TiVo and having it fry the motherboard someday. Learning to solder will have to be done at another time and place, when the consequences of screwing up don't matter.

However, I might try my hand at testing the existing one with a capacitor tester, if that will do any good in confirming or disproving my suspicions about that capacitor. Can it be tested properly when it's still on the board?
If it has so much as a hint of a bulge it doesn't need testing in or out of circuit, it needs to be replaced.

Is there an electronics service shop near you?

Just tell them to replace it and the other one in parallel with it if there is one (they'll know what that means), and it should be considerably faster and cheaper.

There should be a number next to it on the board, like C101.

What is it?

If there's a glob of white stuff partially covering the number, I probably know which one it is already. You've got a TCD648250, right?

Old 12-04-2012, 04:51 PM   #9197
unitron

Quote:
Given that I have 16 partitions including Apple_Free on the old drive, how do I resolve that so 1TB or more can be used on the 1.5TB drive?
You could try using WinMFS to mfscopy the 500 to the 1.5 and then see if it'll do mfsadd, and we'll both learn something.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:17 PM   #9198
ac3dd

My old cheap camera won't take well-focused pictures of small items, so the pic is not good enough to show the magnitude of the bulge. But at least I've pointed out which one the suspect is. It's the biggest of 5 capacitors beside that "black wall".

There is some white putty-like stuff between the capacitors. There are also a few other small blobs of it on different places on the power board. Is that some kind of leakage, or was it placed there deliberately by the manufacturer?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tivocaps.jpg (36.3 KB, 113 views)
Old 12-04-2012, 06:26 PM   #9199
steve614
what ru lookin at?

I can tell even with it being out of focus. That capacitor is a goner.
The white blobs are just a glue that the manufacturer put there to hold the components in place for soldering.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:11 PM   #9200
unitron

Quote:
My old cheap camera won't take well-focused pictures of small items, so the pic is not good enough to show the magnitude of the bulge. But at least I've pointed out which one the suspect is. It's the biggest of 5 capacitors beside that "black wall".

There is some white putty-like stuff between the capacitors. There are also a few other small blobs of it on different places on the power board. Is that some kind of leakage, or was it placed there deliberately by the manufacturer?

That black wall is a heat sink. So is the silver one.

That cap is C701, a 2200uF, 25V, and is a well known culprit in the 648 power supply.

Like steve614 said, the white stuff is glue to hold stuff in place when they solder it.

If you take it to a shop, tell them there's a small dark screw that goes in from the outside into the top of the AC jack, and to use a low-ESR, 105 degree celsius/centigrade replacement cap.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:49 PM   #9201
ac3dd

Quote:
Is there an electronics service shop near you?
There still exists shops that will go as far as replacing capacitors? These days in America everybody just replaces entire components, I have no idea who can and will do something as specific as replacing this.

MFScopy is running overnight.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:00 PM   #9202
unitron

Quote:
There still exists shops that will go as far as replacing capacitors? These days in America everybody just replaces entire components, I have no idea who can and will do something as specific as replacing this.

MFScopy is running overnight.
Checked the yellow pages?

Old 12-04-2012, 10:11 PM   #9203
ac3dd

Quote:
Checked the yellow pages?
Repair shops exist in the area, the question is which will do this type of repair and do it right and do it cheaper than buying a new power supply. The ones I know about will only do stuff I can do myself, like replace entire components and reinstall software.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:21 AM   #9204
unitron

Quote:
Repair shops exist in the area, the question is which will do this type of repair and do it right and do it cheaper than buying a new power supply. The ones I know about will only do stuff I can do myself, like replace entire components and reinstall software.
You really want to spend that $100 (on what may be new old stock with the same bogus capacitors waiting to go bad), don't you?

What is your geographical location?

Old 12-05-2012, 01:34 AM   #9205
AndyJC

I now have 287 hours of HD recording on my HD.

I'll post up my process and setup in case it helps anyone else.

I was using a laptop so I bought two Vantec SATA/IDE USB 2.0 adapters. I bought the WD 20EURS.

I went straight to JMFS to copy the original 160GB drive to the new 2tb drive. Both drives were plugged into the laptop via usb using the Vantec adapters. Copying took about 3.5 hours. Once completed I used JMFS to expand.

I tried to use winmfs to supersize, but it still wouldn't recognize the drive, so I skipped that step. Going from 20 to 287 is a good enough upgrade for me. I installed the new drive in the Tivo and so far so good.
AndyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:01 AM   #9206
ac3dd

Quote:
You really want to spend that $100 (on what may be new old stock with the same bogus capacitors waiting to go bad), don't you?
I don't want to spend anything. Once the hard drive is ready, I'm sticking it back into the TiVo, and if I don't see any more rebooting problems, I'm leaving it as is. Then maybe sometime over the next few months I'll try to learn the soldering technique with a discarded motherboard or something, just in case the TiVo starts acting up again.

Quote:
What is your geographical location?
Check your PM. EDIT: The system says you need to delete some PMs before you can accept more messages.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:19 AM   #9207
ac3dd

MFScopy is done, and it asked if I wanted to expand. I chose Yes, then chose No on the next question about limiting the partition to 1TB. Now the partition map shows only 15 partitions, with no Apple_free, and the last partition is 1.1TB.

Now I'll put it back into the TiVo and see what happens ....

Last edited by ac3dd : 12-05-2012 at 07:38 AM.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:05 AM   #9208
unitron

Quote:
MFScopy is done, and it asked if I wanted to expand. I chose Yes, then chose No on the next question about limiting the partition to 1TB. Now the partition map shows only 15 partitions, with no Apple_free, and the last partition is 1.1TB.

Now I'll put it back into the TiVo and see what happens ....
Good luck with that and I look forward to finding out how it went, but ain't a hard drive in the world can cure a bad capacitor and you've got a bad capacitor.

(cleaned out some PM space, although I'm also emailable)

Old 12-05-2012, 08:27 AM   #9209
ac3dd

It took an unusually long time to boot up, but now the system info shows "up to 215 HD hours" and it seems to be handling live TV OK and all my recorded shows appear to be there. But that's only after a few minutes of observation. When I get home this evening I'll use it for an extended time.

What happens if it doesn't recognize the full 1.1TB of the last partition? Will it crap out when it starts writing more than 1TB of data in that partition? Or will it peacefully stop at 1TB?

Of course a hard drive won't cure a bad capacitor, but if the hard drive was the cause of my rebooting problems and it functions OK with the new drive and same old bad capacitor, that buys me some time to learn to solder or find a competent and cheap-enough local repair shop if it exists or accumulate more funds towards buying a replacement power supply.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:04 AM   #9210
AndyJC

After reading all this talk about partitions, I'm a little worried that JMFS expanded my drive with partitions larger than 1 TB.

The drive doesn't show up in winMFS so is there a way to see the partition map with MFSlive or JMFS?
AndyJC is offline   Reply With Quote